• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport leaders urge Government to change its messaging on avoiding trains and buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

route101

Established Member
Scotrail still putting out that message.

Wont put me off going on train.

In fact using the train to go down south on a wee break soon.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greybeard33

Established Member
It's interesting to note that the Dutch railways have gone completely back to normal. Anyone can travel for any reason. I think France is the same. Are their infection rates much better than ours?
As of 10 July, the prevalence of Covid-19 in the Netherlands was 36% of that in the UK (confirmed cases in the last 14 days, relative to the respective population sizes of 17.1m NL and 68.9m UK).

Homeiswhere

People just do not want go back to that dreadful daily grind of the commute. Not when you can work from home efficiently and reduce carbon footprint. It’s just so so much nicer!

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
As of 10 July, the prevalence of Covid-19 in the Netherlands was 36% of that in the UK (confirmed cases in the last 14 days, relative to the respective population sizes of 17.1m NL and 68.9m UK).
Yes but face masks remain mandatory even though as you state there infection rate is 1/3 of ours

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Brighton & Hove (one of my local UK bus companies that operate not far from where I live) have now reinstated the Breeze Up the Downs Routes 77, 78 and 79. Which implicitly states that Brighton & Hove are trying to encourage leisure (non essential) bus journeys again.

richw

Veteran Member
Brighton & Hove (one of my local UK bus companies that operate not far from where I live) have now reinstated the Breeze Up the Downs Routes 77, 78 and 79. Which implicitly states that Brighton & Hove are trying to encourage leisure (non essential) bus journeys again.
First kernow have reinstated 5 open top routes as of today and confirmed to a comment on Facebook that non essential travel is allowed

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
First kernow have reinstated 5 open top routes as of today and confirmed to a comment on Facebook that non essential travel is allowed
I should check before I post but, as of last night, First Potteries still had 'key worker, essential, and necessary' in relation to bus journeys on what appears to be a standard national COVID-19 page. As of yesterday, the on-line tracker was showing buses at 1/4 capacity. Rosso however tweet 'Riding our buses this weekend? You'll be most welcome!

The problem of relying on multiple communication channels is that a company needs to keep them all in sync, not saying one thing on twitter, another on Facebook, and something out of date on your website!

squizzler

Established Member
From my observations in Jersey, rider numbers will be inching up one day, then almost without noticing anything change, you will find the off-peak services are back to their normal. The transition between the two states seemed to happen in the proverbial blink of an eye. I suspect that rush hour would still be surpassed as working from home is normalised, but the days of almost empty vehicles will doubtless pass very soon.

Belperpete

Established Member
Interesting that it is now transport leaders who are now telling the government that the messaging needs to change.

Perhaps some people in the rail industry have realised the long term effect of all these "key workers only" and "IS YOUR JOURNEY REALLY ESSENTIAL" messages that have been rammed down peoples' throats for the past three months.

If people are continually put off using public transport, they will find alternative means of transport, and won't necessairly return to using the railways.

On the other hand, my local bus company is currently consulting on introducing compulsory pre-booking for its routes. Hardly inducive to encouraging travel.

squizzler

Established Member
On the other hand, my local bus company is currently consulting on introducing compulsory pre-booking for its routes. Hardly inducive to encouraging travel.
Perhaps it’s a sneaky way of permanently changing the bus network from “present fare to driver and state your destination” to one where passengers use app to buy before boarding?

Belperpete

Established Member
Perhaps it’s a sneaky way of permanently changing the bus network from “present fare to driver and state your destination” to one where passengers use app to buy before boarding?
They have already effectively stopped most cash payments, insisting on contactless or correct fare only.

BJames

Established Member
This is now well over a month out of date.

I wonder what organisation is responsible for having it there ?
This is still there at the entrance to the station from the NET stop, but it is a BTP notice. If anyone is concerned it should just be ignored, as everyone else at the station is doing. I walked past a row of staff who looked at me and smiled. It's clearly been forgotten about.

I see TfL's single-door single deckers have gone up to 11 people allowed, up from 8 before the "1 metre plus" rule was introduced. I imagine this won't change until they're directed by someone (government I guess) to allow the normal capacity.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
This is still there at the entrance to the station from the NET stop, but it is a BTP notice. If anyone is concerned it should just be ignored, as everyone else at the station is doing. I walked past a row of staff who looked at me and smiled. It's clearly been forgotten about.

I see TfL's single-door single deckers have gone up to 11 people allowed, up from 8 before the "1 metre plus" rule was introduced. I imagine this won't change until they're directed by someone (government I guess) to allow the normal capacity.

The BTP ought to know better !

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I'm getting a bit fed up of car adverts on the radio to the effect of "buy a car so you can get there safely" (!), or "buy a car so you don't have to rely on public transport".

It's all a bit back to front...

joncombe

David Horne (MD of LNER) has shared on twitter that "Public transport restrictions will be eased" so perhaps there is to be an official announcement today or this week?

westv

Established Member
David Horne (MD of LNER) has shared on twitter that "Public transport restrictions will be eased" so perhaps there is to be an official announcement today or this week?
Restrictions?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Enforced distancing, legally mandated masks, limited services, unclear messaging.

I’d imagine one of more of the above is going to go or at least be altered

Just a more consistent "please choose the train" message would be a start....

Smidster

Enforced distancing, legally mandated masks, limited services, unclear messaging.

I’d imagine one of more of the above is going to go or at least be altered

The problem though is that until you end all of those would it really make much of a difference - and that is not going to happen.

Masks are not going anywhere for a long time and are going to be compulsory in more places rather than less.

Enforced distancing - Is that really happening? Are people being turned away because trains are "full"?

Messaging can change and be more friendly to travelers for sure but as long as you have all the other restrictions and rules travel is going to be suppressed

Domh245

Established Member
The story attached to the twitter post:
The government is trying to boost the economy further by encouraging people to return to work instead of staying at home.

Restrictions on public transport use are to be eased, according to a report, as the government tries to encourage people to return to work.

People in England had been told to avoid trains, tubes, buses and trams where possible, working from home to limit the spread of coronavirus.

However, a report in The Sunday Telegraph said ministers were preparing to change this advice as part of the next step towards economic recovery.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he wanted people to return to work "if they can", adding: "I think it's very important that people should try to lead their lives more normally".

There are also financial concerns for the transport companies, many of which have suffered huge losses due to the fall in passenger numbers.

A Whitehall source told The Sunday Telegraph: "It is costing a great deal of money to run all these train services with so few people on them.

BJames

Established Member
The problem though is that until you end all of those would it really make much of a difference - and that is not going to happen.

Masks are not going anywhere for a long time and are going to be compulsory in more places rather than less.

Enforced distancing - Is that really happening? Are people being turned away because trains are "full"?

Messaging can change and be more friendly to travelers for sure but as long as you have all the other restrictions and rules travel is going to be suppressed
E.g. LNER - compulsory reservations. Given that the above is referring to something the LNER MD liked, this isn't beyond the realms of possibility. Elsewhere I can't imagine anyone's been in a situation where the train has been "full" for a long time, but from the London Underground in a disruption I was in, 9 out of 10 people are tending to still board the first train even if it's busy.

Masks will not change yet.
Services are being increased where possible anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.