• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport

Aside from rail, what transport related things interest you? (Select all that apply)

• Rivers and canals

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Boats/ ships

Votes: 22 42.3%
  • Roads/ motorways

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Cars

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Trucks/ Lorries

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Planes/ aircraft

Votes: 31 59.6%
  • If it ain't rail, I ain't interested

Votes: 3 5.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gutfright

Despite being a Peugeot driver, I am interested in cars. I also find Britain's network of waterways fascinating.

What non-railway related transport interests do you have?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harbornite

Established Member
I'm also interested in cars and aircraft (I'm checking flightradar as I write this). When you say cars, are you referring to classics, modern stuff or both?

Gutfright

I'm also interested in cars and aircraft (I'm checking flightradar as I write this). When you say cars, are you referring to classics, modern stuff or both?

I prefer the modern stuff, but classic cars can have a certain hypnotic allure to them.

Harbornite

Established Member
I prefer the modern stuff, but classic cars can have a certain hypnotic allure to them.

Fair enough. I didn't tick ships/boats, but I do have an account on marinetraffic.net which I check every so often.

Harbornite

Established Member
Another idea would have been to split aircraft into military and civilian.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Trams I can take or leave. Shipping does hold an interest for me as do buses. Only real interest I have in cars are the electric ones, amazing technology which I cant wate to see come down in price and go up in terms of milage traveled on a single charge.

Gutfright

Trams I can take or leave. Shipping does hold an interest for me as do buses. Only real interest I have in cars are the electric ones, amazing technology which I cant wate to see come down in price and go up in terms of milage traveled on a single charge.

Heavily agree about electric cars. I look forward to the day when they're a viable alternative to petrol and diesel.

Also motorbikes could have been added to the poll. I've made a right pig's ear of the poll.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Im sure a nice mod will sort it for you if bribed :lol:

I would already say electric is viable if all you do with it is go to ASDA for your shopping, make the odd bad weather trip to the station rather than walking and pic your teenager up from daft places at daft times. Probably also ok if doing a long motorway trip with service stations regularly scattered about for chargeups.

The taxi and private hire industry is also cashing in with notable fleats being inDundee and Blackpool.

Domh245

Established Member
I would already say electric is viable if all you do with it is go to ASDA for your shopping, make the odd bad weather trip to the station rather than walking and pic your teenager up from daft places at daft times. Probably also ok if doing a long motorway trip with service stations regularly scattered about for chargeups

Or to attribute a cause - energy storage. Storing enough energy to make EVs a proper competitor to Internal Combustion Engined vehicles is the real killer at the moment. Once they've figured that out, it'll all be dandy, but until then. That is one of the advantages of Petrol and Diesel, their high energy densities (at least relative to battery technologies)

NSEFAN

Established Member
Gutfright said:
I look forward to the day when they're a viable alternative to petrol and diesel.
My understanding is that electric cars are not currently viable, because there's not enough Rare Earth metals on this planet to make the parts to replace every vehicle with one. Does anyone know what in particular this may apply to? Is it the motors, the batteries or both?

Domh245

Established Member
My understanding is that electric cars are not currently viable, because there's not enough Rare Earth metals on this planet to make the parts to replace every vehicle with one. Does anyone know what in particular this may apply to? Is it the motors, the batteries or both?

Batteries I think. The Motors tend to mostly be steel and copper, the control electronics tend to be silicon based. They can also be used to create high strength magnets for motors, but motor power isn't really an issue (yet)

Established Member
I'm also a big tram enthusiast, buses I can take or leave. No interest at all in aviation, and whilst I'm not interested in the history or different types of ship, I do enjoy travelling on them.

Last edited:

SS4

Established Member
I'm quite interested in the canals. The canals around town are nice even if I don't visit very often.

Also we have more canals than Venice :lol:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I do enjoy catching the odd ferry now and again.

Even the one across Windermere which is basically just a mobile section of road that shuttles backwards and forwards.

Maybe something to do with childhood holidays to the isle of Wight :D

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Im currently planning how to cover every ferry route to, from and in the UK. Dont know if Il bother with all minor ones but certainly ones of great importance.

That sounds great - I look forward to hearing about your travels:D

I quite like the little ones, like the Scillonian and the one to the Isle of Arran.

backontrack

Established Member
I'm quite interested in the canals. The canals around town are nice even if I don't visit very often.

Also we have more canals than Venice :lol:

I think that, with canals, it's really quality no quantity, isn't it? ;)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I like stuff to photograph. Except buses. No buses. Buses are for the poor and unwashed. except route masters. routemasters are ok. but no buses. ;)

I live near the Grand Union Canal and find it quite nice to have a Sunday walk out and watch the boats go past with a pint by the canal.

Calthrop

Established Member
I have a certain amount (not very great) of interest in trams; likewise in rivers and canals, and boats and ships. Apart from some enjoyment of actual bus travel: if it runs straightforwardly on a road, or flies -- I couldn't care less. Could, I think, get keen on airships; but sadly, they have been out of the picture for most of a century.

Status
Not open for further replies.