Travel advice please for NYC

Discussion in 'International Transport' started by hungry, 24 Dec 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hungry

hungry Member

Except to foreign tourists who get ripped off with bank fees etc. Which is why I change enough money up before going away. Haven't had to use any cards once on this trip and very rarely do !

2. Marklund

Marklund Member

You're using the wrong cards then!

I found the Metrocard a pain, Oyster being much more user friendly for the occasional user too.

3. radamfi

radamfi Established Member

Didn't you check out my link to good cards to use when you are abroad?

4. hungry

hungry Member

I still rather use cash TBH, easier and don't have to worry about card cloning etc in foreign countries. And it's pretty safe. Leave most in hotel safe only taking enough out for what I need that day.

Oyster is ok if you live in London or are visiting for the week. But say if you are only here for a day, or only need to make one journey (say if you need to transit from Heathrow to City for example to make the onward journey) it's useless, then you are forced into rip off cash fares.

So I still think the $3 NYC metro cash fare paper ticket is a godsend compared to our system in London.

5. Marklund

Marklund Member

Cash safer than a card? You're definitely using the wrong cards then! But each to their own.

Still don't get the Oyster being far inferior though, especially when making frequent short hops, but I don't care about having a paper ticket!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.