• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travel discounts for staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Komma

Generally, you have a chat with the guard before boarding and ask if you can travel, or if he'd like you to buy on board.
As a guard, I will let any member of the railway family on my train and send them to 1st Class. Unfortunately you will get the odd mardy guard who will go by the book, but when I travel on other tocs I make a point of finding and asking the guard ASAP and they have always been as good as gold.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Undiscovered

As a guard, I will let any member of the railway family on my train and send them to 1st Class. Unfortunately you will get the odd mardy guard who will go by the book, but when I travel on other tocs I make a point of finding and asking the guard ASAP and they have always been as good as gold.
Absolutely. The asking about buying is a courtesy really. Most will say not to worry, as will I. If I'm allowed free pass, I always offer to help if needed.
I do make a point of having a priv ticket, on other TOCs, if I'm having a few beers tho. I feel it makes a distinction that I'm off duty and in no way capable of helping!

Likewise, if you flash your police ID, I've no issues at all with you travelling free, but there's the unspoken knowledge that, if things do go wrong or I need you, you'll step up and help- indeed, I asked a plainclothes to help a lady and her shopping through the station when my service was replatformed at the last minute.

Technically, yes, it's not allowed and should be declared etc etc, but there's no way I'm gonna be the first guard to make a stand over it!

Haywain

Veteran Member
LNER staff members get unlimited free leisure travel on Virgin Trains West Coast and East Midlands Trains / EMR services.
And, depending on work location, some residential travel arrangements with other operators. Staff living and working in greater London also get priv rate underground travel.
the problem was that in a police force there are always one or two idiots who ruin it for everyone else.
There are plenty in the railway business as well.

Dave19801980

When I was on the coaches there was always 1 of 2 that would go in to the services and get their 1p meal....even when nowhere near a coach and/or passengers paying full whack. Ruined it for everyone else....as usual.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
usual disclaimer - not everyone working for the railway gets a discount on tickets. Some hard keeping the trains running and get nowt.

craigybagel

Established Member
I've recently applied for a couple of roles. One was on the Manchester Metrolink which is currently being operated by the Keolis Amey partnership. Employees get free travel on the tram network but there is nothing on their website that says staff get any discounts on the railway network. As I live nowhere near any of the metrolink lines I would have to commute to their depots in Queens Road and Old Trafford either by car or train. Given if I was paying full travelling costs over the year it would soon add up. Needless to say I didn't get the job and if I'm incorrect about non-Metrolink discounts with other TOCs please put me right?!?!

Please don't quote me on this, but I believe there is a gentleman's agreement between Northern and Metrolink for staff traveling to work in uniform on each others services. Officially though Metrolink get nothing on National Rail, not even on TfW despite being run by the same company.

usual disclaimer - not everyone working for the railway gets a discount on tickets. Some hard keeping the trains running and get nowt.

Indeed - it's absolutely shocking how badly the folks at the FOCs, NR and other non TOC railway employers are treated if they aren't safeguarded. For years I was desperate for a driver's job (something which I'm now thankfully in training for) but I still never applied for any of the FOCs, despite several vacancies coming up in my area. I value my travel perks too much.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I'm sure I read on another thread that staff on fixed term contracts (FTC) don't necessarily get the same travel benefits as a regular non FTC employee.

Can someone just clarify this as its just something to take into account when applying for any jobs marked as FTC.

Regards

C J

craigybagel

Established Member
I'm sure I read on another thread that staff on fixed term contracts (FTC) don't necessarily get the same travel benefits as a regular non FTC employee.

Can someone just clarify this as its just something to take into account when applying for any jobs marked as FTC.

Regards

C J

When I worked for Virgin a few years back that was indeed the case. Fixed term staff got PRIV, but didn't get any free travel on their own employer, or any of the other Virgin group perks. I can't speak for any other TOC, or indeed for Virgin these days, things may have changed.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I appreciate this is an old thread but does anyone know if Network Rail staff get any travelling discounts with TOCs?

Again, just viewing a job and wanted to weigh up costs to get from A to B and back everyday if I had to pay full rail fare.

Cheers

C J

thecrofter

Simple answer is no unless you were an employee with protected status i.e. employed with BR before privatisation. However, NR offer their staff a 75% travel discount through a payroll supported loan scheme on which you pay tax and NIs on the loan element as it’s treated as a benefit in kind by HMRC.

omnicity4659

LNER staff members get unlimited free leisure travel on Virgin Trains West Coast and East Midlands Trains / EMR services.
This ended a while back I believe (this time last year I want to say)? Should just be GTR between Newark/Peterborough and the Cross, and Grand Central for work purposes only.

badger1badger

Car park facilities are limited so don't hedge on them.

Priv only gives you 75% off leisure fares or I believe a one off seasonal ticket for work purposes which has to be authorised before purchase.

There is a general understand between TOCs when it comes to travel but always ask the guard first and never assume you will be allowed to travel for free despite being in uniform.
hi

is this for just the employee of Northern or do 75 % discount for your partner ?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
hi

is this for just the employee of Northern or do 75 % discount for your partner ?
You get travel for yourself, spouse or partner of partner lives with you, and dependant children up to age 18, extended to an age I cannot remember (21? 25?) If they're in full time education

83G/84D

Established Member
Whilst it has been touched on here it is important to mention for new entrants to check to see if any free / reduced rail travel that comes with a job is for leisure and/ or work travel. You could be in breach of the terms of your travel otherwise. Safeguarded PRIV travel for instance is not valid for use travelling to or from work. As has been said some sticklers for the rules may pick you up if travelling incorrectly so I recommend you check beforehand otherwise your travel facilities may be withdrawn.

craigybagel

Established Member
Whilst it has been touched on here it is important to mention for new entrants to check to see if any free / reduced rail travel that comes with a job is for leisure and/ or work travel. You could be in breach of the terms of your travel otherwise. Safeguarded PRIV travel for instance is not valid for use travelling to or from work. As has been said some sticklers for the rules may pick you up if travelling incorrectly so I recommend you check beforehand otherwise your travel facilities may be withdrawn.

Very good points. In a similar vein family members including spouses are also at some TOCs at least only to use their passes for leisure travel or travel to and from education. It is NOT to be used for commuting to work - only the employee is supposed to do that.

83G/84D

Established Member
I have worked with colleagues over the years who think it is okay to travel without any form of pass or ticket "because they are staff and it will be alright". However it is NOT ALRIGHT and a breach of rules that could get them into serious trouble. It is worse in my opinion than a member of public getting on a train without paying, and not acceptable.

badger1badger

I have worked with colleagues over the years who think it is okay to travel without any form of pass or ticket "because they are staff and it will be alright". However it is NOT ALRIGHT and a breach of rules that could get them into serious trouble. It is worse in my opinion than a member of public getting on a train without paying, and not acceptable.
i agree - it is still a good privilege, follow the rules you cant go wrong

PupCuff

Very good points. In a similar vein family members including spouses are also at some TOCs at least only to use their passes for leisure travel or travel to and from education. It is NOT to be used for commuting to work - only the employee is supposed to do that.

There are plenty of nuances so it's really important for staff to familiarise themselves with the rules. It used to be the case (possibly still is) at our place that our children could use TOC passes to commute to and from university, but partners couldn't, which felt a little grating. When we were looking at places to live a while ago before we moved to where we are now one of the considerations was could my other half commute by train into uni, and it would have - by rights - meant him having to get a priv season to use on our own trains, where if in a parallel universe I'd been 20 years older (and, err... straight) and he'd been my son he would be allowed free travel.

ninhog

However, the PRIV discount can be used on a season ticket with permission from RDG.

Status
Not open for further replies.