Travel in declassified first class when timetable shows standard only

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by mawallace, 18 May 2019.

1. PeterC

PeterC Established Member

I agree about the "satisfaction" but I would still walk through the train and sit in standard class if it put me nearer the exit at my destination.

2. fairysdad

fairysdad Member

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
    Incidentally, I came onto the forum this morning with the same question - my commute has recently changed to go into London Bridge rather than Waterloo, so I've been travelling on Southern from Ewell East instead. Have been fairly certain that First Class is declassified on these trains, but have wanted to be certain! This thread has given me a bit more confidence that it is!

3. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

Epsom to London Bridge services (1Kxx) are shown as standard class only. There are quite a few Southern services with no first class. Ashford International services to Eastbourne, as another example.

4. Kite159

Kite159 Veteran Member

That must have changed back as I swear those Ashford - Eastbourne services regained 1st class when they were cut back to Eastbourne, but checking the current timetable and you are correct it's standard class only.

5. Saperstein

Saperstein Member

The only other place they (class 171’s) operate AFAIK is the Uckfield line - do they have first class there ?

6. mmh

mmh Established Member

Yes, very much so. Venture into first class on an Uckfield train from London Bridge in the peak if not wearing a suit and you'll hear gasps of breath. No-one will say anything of course.

But to answer the question, first class is in operation on all the 171s to/from Uckfield.

7. MPotter

MPotter On Moderation

What about GA regional services e.g. Norwich to Cambridge? AFAIK they are not classified at first class and therefore you can travel first class on them at no extra cost no matter what journey you are doing. From what I've been told (by a conductor) you can only travel first class if your journey starts or finishes at Cambridge or Cambridge North and you must pay the first class fare. However I think this is a load of nonsense and would like to know how I should stand up to a conductor who tries to charge me, remove me or prosecute me if I travel first class? I take it that I should refuse to pay any extra but leave first class if asked?

8. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

If the train is shown as conveying standard class only, I'd pay the excess and submit the ticket for a refund on the basis the charge was incorrect.

9. MPotter

MPotter On Moderation

What if you're only going as far as Ely (at most) so no excess exists? Then I take it all they can do is ask me to leave or prosecute?

10. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

If you hold a valid standard class ticket for a train that is advertised as conveying standard class only, and you are asked to buy a whole new 1st class ticket, then I would pay it and use this as evidence of a serious contractual breach, and request a refund and refer the matter to the DfT as a franchise breach and the ORR as a consumer law breach.

I wouldn't advise getting yourself into a position where you are prosecuted as you won't get legal aid for that and I would strongly advise being properly represented in court.

11. MPotter

MPotter On Moderation

Fair point but what if I'm asked to pay as far as Cambridge and I have not got enough money to pay for it? I take it that I would be issued with a UFN?

12. tiptoptaff

tiptoptaff Established Member

Why do you constantly look for reasons to get in to dispute with GA? All of your posts are, in some way or another, you looking for a fight with them. Lest we forget your banning order at Norwich.

13. MPotter

MPotter On Moderation

I'm not doing that on this occasion.

14. superjohn

superjohn Member

If you are concerned about the validity the best approach would simply be to sit in standard class.

Wherever people stand on the declassification debate I’m sure they would all agree this is the best way to avoid any possible conflict.