• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travel updates related to grounding of Class 80x fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Please use this thread to update any development in travel arrangements announced by the operators due to the recent grounding of the 80x fleet (including alternative traction arrangements which are confirmed only).

Note that existing posts will not be moved from the original thread due to excessive workload however new updates in the existing thread will be deleted.

You can also make general queries on travel disruption here. If you require specific advice for your journey, please start a separate thread in the Trip Planning & Reports forum as per normal arrangement.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
For LNER here is the advice if your train is running:

If your booked train is running​

If the train you planned to travel on is still running, please travel on this train as normal. Our trains are still reservation only and you should only travel on a train you have a confirmed reservation for.
And if it's not running:

If your train is cancelled for Monday 10 to Friday 14 May​

If the train you planned to travel on is cancelled, your ticket will be accepted on another LNER train to the same destination. If you are unable to travel on the same day, your ticket will be accepted any day between Monday 10 and Sunday 16 May. You must reserve a seat on the new train before travelling.

Please be aware that trains may be busy. If the trains around your original time are full, you may need to be flexible and travel earlier or later.
And if anyone is wondering which trains will be formed of 91+Mk4 stock, please see the following thread:

PTtrainguy

Anyone know if this disruption is likely to go into next weekend? I have a return booked next Saturday for Port Talbot Parkway to London Paddington and back. Spent over a hundred pound on non-refundable hotel tickets too. :'(

superalbs

Established Member
Wouldn't confirmed unusual traction be better in the Traction and Rolling Stock section ? Just seems a logical place to put it.
I also thought it was weird to have rolling stock for services be on the fares section.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Wouldn't confirmed unusual traction be better in the Traction and Rolling Stock section ? Just seems a logical place to put it.
I did consider, but didn't want too many spin-off threads as it can be included in travel updates and we definitely don't want to attract too much attention to it. But we will see how things develop.

Darren Jones

It's just coming out that the entire 800/801 fleet has been grounded this morning at LNER for safety checks due to cracks being found on them - LNER don't expect to run trains today.

Apparently it's actually all 80x for all operators.

Mod -

Given the unwieldy nature of this thread and the fast development of this incident, in order to avoid several conversations criss-crossing each other in this thread, please use the following threads for continued discussion in the following areas:

• any general questions and updates on travel arrangements (including any confirmed unusual traction) to please use this thread in the Fares Advice & Policy forum;
  • any updates on speculative alternative traction to please use this thread in the Speculative Ideas forum;
  • any request for advice on specific journeys and trips please create a new thread in the Trip Planning & Reports forum as per normal arrangement;
  • any other discussion of the theme of "my ideas for xxx" to please continue in the Speculative Ideas forum, either in a suitable existing thread or a new thread if necessary;

Other discussion points may be further split out as time goes along.

Existing posts will not be moved across due to excessive workload, however please note further discussion on these topics will be deleted in order to keep this thread more manageable.

Thank you.

This is effective 12.10h on 10th May 2021.
i heard this on the radio and i hope this does not effect the train lines too much. Are there any delays around the Greater Manchester area due to this?

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
i heard this on the radio and i hope this does not effect the train lines too much. Are there any delays around the Greater Manchester area due to this?
There shouldn't be any problems to/from London for Manchester - Avanti's trains are different from those with the problem. But there may be some impact on TPE services as some of their trains are among those being checked.

plugwash

Established Member
"80x" trains are operated by four operators, GWR, HULL trains, LNER and Transpennine express.

LNER, GWR and Hull trains do not serve greater Manchester.

I would expect some short-forming on TPE services as 185s are used to cover duties that would normally be operated by 802s, but otherwise Greater Manchester shouldn't really be affected much by this. Indeed I wouldn't be surprised if the cancellations on the East coast lead to a more reliable service in Greater Manchester.

Last edited:

plugwash

Established Member
I initially forgot about hull trains, added them to the list but forgot to change the number.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
A semblance of a GWR plan is coming together for Monday:

1. South Wales services to run Reading to Newport 1tph (IETs)
2. Crosscountry to run Swindon <> Bristol TM approximately 1tph (irregular pattern). Voyagers and HSTs
3. 387 calling Paddington <> Didcot (only calling Reading) 1tph
4. North Cotswold running Oxford to Worcester 2tp3h (Turbos)
5. South Cotswold running Gloucester to Swindon 1tph
6. Nothing direct to West Country yet - except the sleeper.

Timetables slowly being updated.
Well I think GWR and CrossCountry need some praising on this! Thank goodness it avoids the need for hiring in - as nice as loco-haulage would have been of course :).

FGW_DID

Established Member
Reported elsewhere by a reliable source that three c2c Class 387s move to GWR tomorrow to help out.

Wow, that didn’t take long to get on the forum. I only found out about an hour ago and I’m the duty Depot Controller tomorrow :lol::lol:

Expected around midday at Reading TCD. No unit numbers as of yet.

RobShipway

Established Member
Wow, that didn’t take long to get on the forum. I only found out about an hour ago and I’m the duty Depot Controller tomorrow :lol::lol:

Expected around midday at Reading TCD. No unit numbers as of yet.
Thank you on confirming the temporary move of the c2c class 387's.

Established Member
TPE must be expecting a number of their 802s to be grounded again, as from tomorrow (11th May) until further notice all of their services between York and Newcastle are replaced by buses: https://www.tpexpress.co.uk/travel-updates/current-major-service-disruption
They need 10 per day to operate service at the moment, currently they have 12 available to them, due to units on maintenance and those pulled due to cracks.
To provide some resilience incase of more units being pulled, they suspended north of York so that they can concentrate on the York to Manchester core.

DanNCL

Established Member
They need 10 per day to operate service at the moment, currently they have 12 available to them, due to units on maintenance and those pulled due to cracks.
To provide some resilience incase of more units being pulled, they suspended north of York so that they can concentrate on the York to Manchester core.
So their attitude is stuff Chester-le-Street and Northallerton so they don't need to cut back on anything at all through the core route. They could at least have asked XC to provide alternative calls at those stations, but they haven't.

Established Member
So their attitude is stuff Chester-le-Street and Northallerton so they don't need to cut back on anything at all through the core route. They could at least have asked XC to provide alternative calls at those stations, but they haven't.
Not ideal, but it is 1 bus per hour Newcastle to Chester le Street, and 1 bus per hour Chester le Street to Durham.

Northallerton have the hourly Redcar services and Lner calls as well so they are not cut off.
They will be trying to maximise the use of the units.

Last edited by a moderator:

reddragon

Established Member
RTT today was showing that Reading to Newport services were being operated by EMUs - were they class 387s or something else?

FGW_DID

Established Member
RTT today was showing that Reading to Newport services were being operated by EMUs - were they class 387s or something else?

No, they were being run by the few 80x that were out (3 then initially 2!)

FGW_DID

Established Member
Paddington Didcot trains showing as Paddington to Swindon tomorrow on journey check. Class 387 presumably.

Yes, 387s running through to Swindon. (3x 12 car running Paddington > Reading > Didcot > Swindon)

setdown

So according to the GWR website, ticket acceptance is now in place with London Midland. Good luck with that :p

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
GWR are down to 2 IET sets tomorrow, so only 2tp3h Reading <> Newport.
Everything else stands as is, other than the already mentioned extension of the 387 fast service to Swindon.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
XC are helping further tomorrow by running a few more Bristol TM to Swindons by using some slack in 220 diagrams. TFW helped out this morning by sending 143602 (now in it's twilight days) ECS from Canton to Swansea to strengthen 0613 Carmarthen to Cardiff Cen. The ECS ran as a "ZZ" so perhaps they didn't know whether to run it on behalf of GWR or TFW

Last edited:

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
XC are helping further tomorrow by running a few more Bristol TM to Swindons by using some slack in 220 diagrams.

XC are dealing with some overcrowding issues today so obviously they have some concerns and would like to improve provision. I mean fair play to them for being so quick off the mark and supporting their GWR colleagues.

Status
Not open for further replies.