• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travel via Clapham junction on ticket routed "Not Valid for travel via London terminals"

Status
Not open for further replies.

VioletBee

I will be travelling on train soon and I have been searching for train tickets on the trainline app.

I see some tickets that are fairly priced and are suitable for my travel however I am very confused with the policy on the ticket: Off-peak day return, Not valid for travel via (changing trains or passing through) London Terminals. Which I assume means I cant use the ticket while going through London terminals?

However the route on the ticket shows that I need to make 1 change at Clapham junction (to get off at one platform and move to another), so does this count as a London terminal?

Sorry, I'm still new to this and have never used a train by myself before, however it seems illogical to show and pay for a journey that the ticket is not valid for hence why I got confused.

Because the ticket should cover the whole thing right, including the interchanges, or would I have to pay more to change at Clapham junction?

If anyone has answers or similar experiences, please reply and it will be much appreciated thankyou.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Without knowing the journey in question we can only provide limited advice but Clapham Jn is not a member of London Terminals.

I see nothing to suggest the ticket would be anything other than entirely valid for changing at Clapham Jn.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I will be travelling on train soon and I have been searching for train tickets on the trainline app.

I see some tickets that are fairly priced and are suitable for my travel however I am very confused with the policy on the ticket: Off-peak day return, Not valid for travel via (changing trains or passing through) London Terminals. Which I assume means I cant use the ticket while going through London terminals?

However the route on the ticket shows that I need to make 1 change at Clapham junction (to get off at one platform and move to another), so does this count as a London terminal?

Sorry, I'm still new to this and have never used a train by myself before, however it seems illogical to show and pay for a journey that the ticket is not valid for hence why I got confused.

Because the ticket should cover the whole thing right, including the interchanges, or would I have to pay more to change at Clapham junction?

If anyone has answers or similar experiences, please reply and it will be much appreciated thankyou.
London Terminals means the stations at the end of each line into London - i.e. Victoria or Waterloo from Clapham Junction. (It also includes a few other stations, like Vauxhall and London Bridge, that aren't technically the end of the line, but are still near central London.)

Clapham Junction isn't a London Terminal so you aren't doing anything wrong by changing there on a "not via London Terminals" ticket.

In any case, journey planners will always work out the validity of tickets for you. If they sell a ticket on a given route, it's valid and you don't need to worry about the reasons/rules behind it.

VioletBee

Without knowing the journey in question we can only provide limited advice but Clapham Jn is not a member of London Terminals.

I see nothing to suggest the ticket would be anything other than entirely valid for changing at Clapham Jn.
Yes, I wanted to make sure because when I type london terminals stations it said London victoria (via calpham jn) and I wasnt sure if it was included or not - thankyou for your reply and information

London Terminals means the stations at the end of each line into London - i.e. Victoria or Waterloo from Clapham Junction. (It also includes a few other stations, like Vauxhall and London Bridge, that aren't technically the end of the line, but are still near central London.)

Clapham Junction isn't a London Terminal so you aren't doing anything wrong by changing there on a "not via London Terminals" ticket.

In any case, journey planners will always work out the validity of tickets for you. If they sell a ticket on a given route, it's valid and you don't need to worry about the reasons/rules behind it.
That makes sense - now I can be assured when buying the ticket I need to travel with, thankyou for your help

Clapham Junction is not a London Terminal so changing there is fine.

Edit - snap!
Thankyou for clearing this up for me!

hkstudent

Established Member
Yes, I wanted to make sure because when I type london terminals stations it said London victoria (via calpham jn) and I wasnt sure if it was included or not - thankyou for your reply and information

That makes sense - now I can be assured when buying the ticket I need to travel with, thankyou for your help

Thankyou for clearing this up for me!
And, to buy a better-priced ticket, I would suggest not to book via Trainline as they charge a handling fee on the ticket, which other railway operators (ticket counter, machine or website) can sell at the same price without any fee.

VioletBee

And, to buy a better-priced ticket, I would suggest not to book via Trainline as they charge a handling fee on the ticket, which other railway operators (ticket counter, machine or website) can sell at the same price without any fee.
I just checked the national rail website for the same ticket and it seems to be the same price, but I will check the pricing at the counter aswell, thankyou

Edit: Yes, I see what you mean now, there is a small booking fee for the trainline ticket at the end when checking out. So using the nation railway enquiries app to book my ticket directly would remove this fee? Thankyou so much for letting me know

Last edited:

mikeg

Established Member
You can't buy tickets from the national rail app. The best way if you want to use an app is to download an app by a train company. My personal favourite is LNER but any TOC's app will do. Any app can be used for any train company with the same fares are, with the exception of the occasional online special offer which may be only available through the promoting train company's app or website.

VioletBee

There was an option to buy tickets on the app but it didnt seem to be working anyway, some type of connection issue. So thankyou I will use your recommendations!

VioletBee

Ah okay, well I downloaded LNER's app and it seems to be much better and no additional fees so thats good. However this one doesnt show any platform numbers before booking, do they show up afterwards? I can still manage if I cant see the platform numbers or destinations as im sure I can just check the train routes on a website but it would be handy to know.

hkstudent

Established Member
Ah okay, well I downloaded LNER's app and it seems to be much better and no additional fees so thats good. However this one doesnt show any platform numbers before booking, do they show up afterwards? I can still manage if I cant see the platform numbers or destinations as im sure I can just check the train routes on a website but it would be handy to know.
national rail app has live time departure info which shows platform numbers.

mikeg

Established Member
Just to check, I notice you're from Gatwick:. Is your journey wholly within the London /contactless/oyster zone?

VioletBee

Just to check, I notice you're from Gatwick:. Is your journey wholly within the London /contactless/oyster zone?
I am not sure what parts are in that zone, I just need to transfer at Clapham junction to go to Barnes station from Gatwick

mikeg

Established Member
Ah I see. Gatwick is I believe outside the zonal capping it seems but valid for oyster etc.
But a paper ticket seems cheaper if you're going via Clapham junction for a day return in the peaks. Or for that matter after the morning peak and returning at any time. What is the timing of your journey? Also will it be a regular journey? If it's a commute a season ticket may save you money.

Also if it's an irregular journey there's no advantage to buying this journey online in advance you may as well buy on the day as and when.

VioletBee

Ah I see. Gatwick is I believe outside the zonal capping it seems but valid for oyster etc.
But a paper ticket seems cheaper if you're going via Clapham junction for a day return in the peaks. What is the timing of your journey? Also will it be a regular journey? If it's a commute a season ticket may save you money.

Also if it's an irregular journey there's no advantage to buying this journey online in advance you may as well buy on the day as and when.
Oh thankyou for the information! Well its not a steady time table for me, as there will be times I dont need to use the train to get to my destination. However when I do use the train for this journey, it will be twice a week max. One of them would be a a train after 9am which I see is cheaper, and the second day needs to be at about 7.30am ish which is alot more expensive since its busier. I am thinking of getting a railcard as it would be very useful for the expensive journey.

Established Member
Oh thankyou for the information! Well its not a steady time table for me, as there will be times I dont need to use the train to get to my destination. However when I do use the train for this journey, it will be twice a week max. One of them would be a a train after 9am which I see is cheaper, and the second day needs to be at about 7.30am ish which is alot more expensive since its busier. I am thinking of getting a railcard as it would be very useful for the expensive journey.
Something interesting about railcards is that if they give you 1/3 off and cost £30, then you only have to have spent £90 on full price tickets in a year to have wasted money by not getting one. Some tickets into London cost this much on their own, so a railcard would have paid for itself just on this one ticket.

VioletBee

Something interesting about railcards is that if they give you 1/3 off and cost £30, then you only have to have spent £90 on full price tickets in a year to have wasted money by not getting one. Some tickets into London cost this much on their own, so a railcard would have paid for itself just on this one ticket.
Yess that makes sense, I will keep that in mind thankyou!

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Bear in mind that many railcards can only be used after 0930.

"London terminals", I think, covers all NR stations in TfL Zone 1 (including Vauxhall, which is a boundary Z1/2 station) Changing at Clapham Junction is not via a "London terminal" if you both arrive from and depart towards the "Country" (non-London) direction.

VioletBee

Ohh rightt, should I check with my local trainstation about discount railcards? I have classes at 9am so its impossible to book anything after that sadly :( and thankyou for the information!

JB_B

Established Member
... "London terminals", I think, covers all NR stations in TfL Zone 1 (including Vauxhall, which is a boundary Z1/2 station) ...

Most of them, yes. Farringdon, Hoxton, Shoreditch High Street and Elephant & Castle are examples of NR stations in Zone 1 which aren't London Terminals.

Haywain

Veteran Member
"London terminals", I think, covers all NR stations in TfL Zone 1
London Terminals only covers specific stations according to where the journey starts. Some of them are not terminal stations at all but through stations and some NR stations in central London, as stated above, are not London Terminals and in the case of Farringdon does not allow the holder of a London TRerminals stations to pass through except in certain specific cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.