• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelcard v contactless less in London

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeylandLen

I am an occasional visitor to London with Virgin (off peak fares)from Preston , Lancs ,and I hold a senior railcard. I usually purchase an off peak zones 1-6 day travelcard capped for me at £7.80 . I have started using my contactless bank card when I estimate my journeys will be less than £7.80 in total. Am I right to assume that should my single off peak journeys within Z1-6 come to more than £7.80 ,then that is all I pay per day ? I have registered my bankcard with the tfl online page so they know I am a senior railcard holder!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gray1404

Established Member
You would be better getting an Oyster card and getting your railcard entitlement loaded on to it. This will be cheaper then using contactless.

DaveB10780

Definitely an Oyster card with your railcard will be cheapest for you since cannot link contactless to a railcard. I think the current price is £8.00 for a Travelcard with a railcard. If you use contactless the standard off peak caps will apply depending on the zones used between £6.50-£12.80. However if you use Oyster it will be between £4.30 and £7.80.

MarlowDonkey

Definitely an Oyster card with your railcard will be cheapest for you since cannot link contactless to a railcard.

Not quite the same problem, but with a Senior Railcard loaded to Oyster, should I buy a <local station> Travelcard? Or should I just get the London terminals ticket and use Oyster? Whether I'm travelling in the evening peak in Zone 1 seems to matter, as the price is higher with Oyster, but not with the Travelcard.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Not quite the same problem, but with a Senior Railcard loaded to Oyster, should I buy a <local station> Travelcard? Or should I just get the London terminals ticket and use Oyster? Whether I'm travelling in the evening peak in Zone 1 seems to matter, as the price is higher with Oyster, but not with the Travelcard.

It depends what <local station> is.

Status
Not open for further replies.