• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelcards on Stansted Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dhassell

Earlier today I was trying to find out if travel cards are valid on Stansted Express services between London Liverpool Street and Tottenham Hale. After contacting Stansted Express they seem to think they are not valid but they are perfectly within Z16 so why wouldn't they be?

Would anyone be able to clarify whether it is or isn't valid?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, AGA accept Travelcards on all trains they operate within the area, that includes their trains branded "Stansted Express"

That said, in the direction of London Liverpool Street to Tottenham Hale, some trains might not be advertised to call at Tottenham Hale (I'm not sure what the current situation is; they may not be on the main departure board but may still appear on the local platform monitors, or possibly not?)

In the direction of Tottenham Hale to London Liverpool Street, I believe all trains are advertised.

How did you contact AGA and what exactly was their response? Was this verbal or written?

Be3G

Established Member
Are Stansted Express trains still pick-up-only from Tottenham Hale northbound? Greater Anglia's timetable seems to suggest not, but if they are (or they aren't now but the person who responded to Dhassell was stuck in the past) then that would explain the response received.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Heres a screenshot of the response
http://prntscr.com/ddp253
FYI I have removed time-stamps and names etc. so my account cannot be found.

No you haven't! :lol: Check again

(In any case, someone can just Twitter search the text of your tweet and find you. The only way to stop people finding you on Twitter is by making your account private.)

I notice they have since corrected themselves in a reply to you.

Dhassell

No you haven't! :lol: Check again

(In any case, someone can just Twitter search the text of your tweet and find you. The only way to stop people finding you on Twitter is by making your account private.)

Either way :p
Seems like they have now changed there story and saying they are valid! ;)

Last edited:

duncanp

Established Member
In the official timetable

https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/sit...wnload_ct/ga1701_web_west_anglia_table_12.pdf

there is no mention of Tottenham Hale being pick up only Northbound or set down only Southbound for the Stansted Express. So the reply the OP was given is complete rubbish.

As a regular user of the line, in practice there is very rarely a ticket check between Liverpool Street and Tottenham Hale. The barriers at both stations will accept Zone 1 - 6 travelcards.

The departure boards at Liverpool Street, and also the on line journey planners, do not include the Tottenham Hale stop for the Stansted Express to try and divert local passengers on to other services - which is a waste of time because the regular commuters know that they do stop at Tottenham Hale.

At Tottenham Hale, trains from Stansted Airport are advertised as going to Liverpool Street, and no-one would stop you from boarding.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Either way :p
Seems like they have now changed there story and saying they are valid! ;)

You mean they have corrected themselves. Or are you suggesting that the original response was deliberately wrong?

Dhassell

You mean they have corrected themselves. Or are you suggesting that the original response was deliberately wrong?

I'm sorry, but there was no need for that comment! It was obvious the point I was making...

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I never had any issue when I had a First Class Travelcard season using the service to Tottenham Hale multiple times. The trolley attendant was perfectly happy for me to use it just to Tottenham Hale and offered complimentary drinks accordingly.

They are not advertised as pick-up only northbound iirc, peak or off-peak.

Ediswan

Established Member
there is no mention of Tottenham Hale being pick up only Northbound or set down only Southbound for the Stansted Express.

Not much point in doing so. There don't appear to be many Tottenham Hale to Liverpool Street commuters. Trains are relatively empty between those stations. The crush is north of Tottenham Hale.

Last edited:

TEW

Established Member
They did used to be advertised as pick up/set down only in the paper timetables a couple of years ago, but they were still advertised as normal calls on the CIS then.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The departure boards at Liverpool Street, and also the on line journey planners, do not include the Tottenham Hale stop for the Stansted Express

If its a legal stop it should be advertised IMHO. Is this not some breach of the franchise?

A1

Yeah, I've used it before ex TH, although I've never had my ticket checked on the train. Remember a report here once that someone got fined travelling in First with a standard ticket between TH and LST, so occasional or targeted First ticket checks do happen.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
They did used to be advertised as pick up/set down only in the paper timetables a couple of years ago, but they were still advertised as normal calls on the CIS then.

All stops at Tottenham Hale are open in both directions nowadays.

Pick up only calls northbound disappeared with the Dec 11 timetable change. In practice, not that many people only travel Liverpool Street-Tottenham Hale anyway.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
And I'm sure were nigh-on impossible to enforce anyway!

duncanp

Established Member
In practice, not that many people only travel Liverpool Street-Tottenham Hale anyway.

Actually there are quite a number of Tottenham Hale - Liverpool Street commuters. Platform 1 during the morning peak hour is quite busy.

Also quite a number use the direct service to Stratford as a means of getting to Canary Wharf and Docklands.

Now could we shoot the person who closed off the direct access from the footbridge to the tube and made everyone go through the barriers on platform 2. <(

I know it has been done in the name of revenue protection, but the resulting congestion is a pain in the bum.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I also remember some years ago when there was a pick up/set down rule at Tottenham Hale during a time where I was commuting into Liverpool Street.

The 07:55 (ex Cambridge) was cancelled, and the next train was the 07:59 (ex Stansted Airport - set down only at Tottenham Hale.

The announcement said words to the effect of "..passengers on platform 1 do not board this train or you will be charged a penalty fare...."

Cue the air turning blue with lots of four letter words, and suggestions as to where they could stick the penalty fare.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
If its a legal stop it should be advertised IMHO. Is this not some breach of the franchise?

Stops don't necessarily have to be advertised on station screens; Watford Junction shows the Euston DC stoppers as going to "South Hampstead".

Haywain

Veteran Member
Stops don't necessarily have to be advertised on station screens; Watford Junction shows the Euston DC stoppers as going to "South Hampstead".
Indeed, it is seen as better customer service to keep people from boarding particularly slow services that get overtaken.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Indeed. Some slow trains from London Kings Cross to Cambridge are advertised as 'Foxton' for similar reasons

MarlowDonkey

Indeed, it is seen as better customer service to keep people from boarding particularly slow services that get overtaken.

It's normal practice at Paddington to label stoppers to Reading as being for Twyford and the return service at Reading for Ealing Broadway.

Envy123

The departure boards at Liverpool Street, and also the on line journey planners, do not include the Tottenham Hale stop for the Stansted Express to try and divert local passengers on to other services - which is a waste of time because the regular commuters know that they do stop at Tottenham Hale.

NRE advertises the Tottenham Hale stop, as well as the departure boards closer to the departing Stansted Express.

I used Stansted Express on that stretch all the time to get back home, when GN was acting up, and I can confirm that I never had a ticket check between Tottenham Hale and Liverpool Street.

JaJaWa

Established Member
Seems to me they simply got Liverpool Street and Stansted Airport mixed up in your first Tweet.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I used Stansted Express on that stretch all the time to get back home, when GN was acting up, and I can confirm that I never had a ticket check between Tottenham Hale and Liverpool Street.

I have been ticket checked a few times when using the StanEx on that sector and never had a problem in either direction with a Travelcard.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Indeed. Some slow trains from London Kings Cross to Cambridge are advertised as 'Foxton' for similar reasons

Not for about the last couple of years they haven't (the practice was abandoned in the dying days of FCC)

jon0844

Veteran Member
Not for about the last couple of years they haven't (the practice was abandoned in the dying days of FCC)

Really? Can't say I've noticed. I know that FCC would mark Cambridge stoppers as Cambridge if there wasn't a faster train (i.e. on weekends) that arrived at Cambridge sooner, but otherwise I thought it still happened. [something for me to check!]

The trains themselves obviously always said Cambridge. Once at Finsbury Park and onwards, it clearly needs to say it as the fast train isn't an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.