• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelled from Huntington to Kings Cross without a ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aristotle

Please help, I travelled from Huntington to kingscross on 24th January without purchasing the right ticket, no excuse. I gave my details to the inspector who cautioned me and said I will be prosecuted. I am still waiting for prosecution notice and am terrified and anxious.

Can anyone advice how long it should take to receive prosecution letter. Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Could be anything up to 6 months or even more.

Without more details it is almost impossible to advise.

najaB

Veteran Member
I gave my details to the inspector who cautioned me and said I will be prosecuted. I am still waiting for prosecution notice and am terrified and anxious.
Just on a point of order, it's not 100% certain that you will be prosecuted, so I suspect the inspector said you would be reported for a potential prosecution.

Stigy

Established Member
Just on a point of order, it's not 100% certain that you will be prosecuted, so I suspect the inspector said you would be reported for a potential prosecution.
He may have done, although as I'm sure you agree, not all Inspectors are this way inclined and often like to scare monger.

More info is needed to be able to offer sound advice though.

najaB

Veteran Member
He may have done, although as I'm sure you agree, not all Inspectors are this way inclined and often like to scare monger.
Agreed, the main point I wanted to convey is that a prosecution isn't a foregone conclusion.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Try not to be terrified and anxious. Even if you do receive a court summons at some point it won't be the end of the world. You'll probably have a chance to give your side of the story, and offer a settlement first, unless you have had dealings with them for a similar issue or issues previously.

Aristotle

At what stage could I offer a settlement? I am assuming from your response that would be after receiving court summon

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
You might get a letter from the company asking for your explanation of what happened before a summon is issued. If you do, then apologise, explain what happened succinctly and offer to settle the matter at that [point, by paying any monies that you owe along with a payment that will cover the time and trouble the company has incurred in dealing with you.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Please help, I travelled from Huntington to kingscross on 24th January without purchasing the right ticket, no excuse. I gave my details to the inspector who cautioned me and said I will be prosecuted. I am still waiting for prosecution notice and am terrified and anxious.

Can anyone advice how long it should take to receive prosecution letter. Thanks

Did you have any ticket or, as you say, just not the right one? The question of intent may arise, and having no ticket at all (as the thread title says) may stand you in worse stead than having the wrong one.

sarahj

Established Member
Did you have any ticket or, as you say, just not the right one? The question of intent may arise, and having no ticket at all (as the thread title says) may stand you in worse stead than having the wrong one.

Would it not depend. Perhaps the OT has a short ticket to say get through barriers? That becomes deliberate evasion. However, if its a say a off peak during a peak, well, that may change matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.