• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelling advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

nutter

How likely is it that I'll make an 8 min connection at Guildford with a train from Portsmouth Harbout to a VT going to BNS. How many platforms are there at guildford and how common are delays at the last minute.

It's REALLY important

Thanks
Nutts

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

There are 7 platforms at Guildford I believe. The Voyager will be running behind the Portsmouth Harbour train so you should be OK. I believe the connection time at Guildford is 5 minutes.

Gizmogle

Established Member
No problem! I make -1 connections all the time. Sometimes even -5 connections. Just get your running shoes on if you're worried about not making it :mrgreen:

nutter

Cheers. I've just got another dylem(?)

I need a saver return from Fareham - Albrighton

But on the outward leg I need to go to Portsmouth harbour

What would be the best option. I have 2.

Single fareham - portsmouth (x2 for sunday too) + Saver return Portsmouth - Albrighton

or CDR fareham - portsmouth + Saver Return Fareham - Albrighton ('picking' up the SR on the return to the CDR mid journey)

Cheers for the info on Guildford tom, i was hoping it would be a bit smaller, I'll have 2 BIG rucksacks (total 160ltr's) full of xmas presents

T

Tom

Excess the ticket in one direction. Talk to the guard before Fareham.

metrocammel

Cheers. I've just got another dylem(?)

I need a saver return from Fareham - Albrighton

But on the outward leg I need to go to Portsmouth harbour

What would be the best option. I have 2.

Single fareham - portsmouth (x2 for sunday too) + Saver return Portsmouth - Albrighton

or CDR fareham - portsmouth + Saver Return Fareham - Albrighton ('picking' up the SR on the return to the CDR mid journey)

Cheers for the info on Guildford tom, i was hoping it would be a bit smaller, I'll have 2 BIG rucksacks (total 160ltr's) full of xmas presents

( @ adult fare, deduct as neccesary)
Option 1 would cost £62
or
Option 2 would cost £64

There is not a lot in it, and AFAIK Option 1 is the cheapest, however I haven't checked, but buying to Albrighton may not be your cheapest option, eg, it may work out considerably cheaper buying a SVR to Wolves, then getting cdr's as required to get to your local shack, it depends upon who has priced the ticket.

nutter

No NR discounts (apprantly thats only season tickets)

I have a young persons rail card

SR portsmouth - albrighton is a few pence short of £40. A single is £2.25 between Fareham & Portsmouth.

Just had a look, It will be cheaper to get Portsmouth - Albrighton rather than Portsmouth - Wolves

I'm thinking of option 1

Could someone please tell me what Tom meant by excessing the ticket in one direction as he appears to be offline

(this edit button is a life saver :lol:)

Just to let you know, I'll ONLY :lol: have a 90ltr rucksack on now. I'll look so normal in thorntons at 'the perfume shop' in full hiking gear (- gaiters)

Gizmogle

Established Member
Yeah, but this is SWT and Virgin we're talking about :grin:

Yeah, I do the 11:00 VT to New Street and catch the 10:55 CT to Leicester quite often. That takes some running though...

Not really had much experience with SWT though to be honest.

You should be fine if you just run for it though. It always works out for me :smile:

Ascot

Established Member
Just look at a map where ya wanna go to and from and via, then get a ticket to a place that's roughly in the middle of them?

And 7 min connection is plenty of time.

nutter

But I doubt you have a 30KG rucksack with LOADS of xmas presents in em, some are made of glass too (so I don't want to run. (i might wrap it up in the dirty washing from now till saturday)). things you do for a bit of :sex: eh (i hope). (sorry, it was on the side :lol:

AlexS

Established Member
Nuts, if my lardy arse can make a 2 minutes connection at New St, you should be absolutely fine :) Becomes slightly easier for me on a weekend of course, considering the trains ex Shrewsbury become the trains to Leicester, but there you go.

nutter

Well it's just whenever I've had a tightish connection before I've ALWAYS missed it, even an 8 min one at Reading (late inbound train). I'm going for option 1, I just don't like tight connections on such important journeys, cause luck always seems to be against me big time

nutter

Cheers for all your help last night guys, but it turns out it was a waste of time. Jayne and Callie are not meeting me up with me, cause there 4 miles down the road (well hello, I'm travelling +200 miles)

Still going home though, so it turns out it wasn't a TOTAL waste of time, just not as important as I thought it was.

(If you ain't noticed, i'm pis5ed off big time)

nutter

Sorted over the phone

Ste, Earliest I can get up to Fareham train station is 13:00 (thanks for the tip on xmas shopping.

If you can meet methere at 13:00 we'll catch the train together, if not, i'll go via guildford. Sorry about not texting.calling, I've ran out of credit

Nick W

Established Member
As far as I can tell, excessing over distance just a single journey is not rail companies policy, since it's cheaper than a single would be.

Metrocam however has had some success with it, though.

Death

Established Member
Hi Nutter! <D
Not sure if this'll be any help to you now, as I don't know when/if you're travelling - But no harm in posting it I suppose... :)

I know Guildford very well as I used to use the station on a daily basis. The station has both a long ramp subway and a bridge for crossing platforms with, and a confusing platform 8 to boot.
(Platforms 6 and 7 only have one road between them, so essentially they're one platform. Still numbered as two though! :eek:)

Anyway: If you're making a quick change, forget the subway as it has a c.150ft down ramp into the subway itself at all platforms. Insted, use the footbridge as it's much quicker. If I remember rightly, your SWT service will probably come in on platform 3 or 5 (Maybe 4 as well), and your Virgin service will probably depart from 5, 6 or 8 - Although these can change, so don't take my word for it. :)

The long and short of it is: If you're in a single unit 442/444, alight from the front door of the 2nd carriage, and use the rear door of the 3rd carriage if it's a two-unit job. These doors should be closest to the bridge at Guildford. Obviously, adjust these positions accordingly if you find that you're travelling on a 450...2nd door from the front for 1 unit, 5th door for 2 units, and 10th door for 3. (OK...This proves that I'm a right g33k... :sleepy4::()

There are departure summary screens above the foot of the stairways for you to check your platform number on. Crossing from platform 3 to platform 8 shouldn't take you more than three minutes at a walk, meaning that even with excess baggage, 8 minutes is ample time for your change. :)

Finally: Be aware that train doors are not opened to platform 7, so if your trains' platform is changed to 6, there's no point waiting on the platform 7 side! :tongue8:

Hope this helps...And enjoy your journey if you're actually taking it! 8)

Farewell... <D
>> Death <<

Status
Not open for further replies.