• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelling Chef from Swindon to London

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWalrus

Established Member
Hi

Basically if I catch the 0927 from Swindon to London it says the Travelling Chef is available as far as Swindon, does this mean passengers joining at Swindon are eligible for Travelling Chef or it's only available until Swindon?

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheWalrus

Established Member
Damn :( do I get anything in first class or is it just a free cookie and drink?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Free biccies and tea/coffee/soft drinks is about it I'm afraid.

On the bright side, it's still better than what you get on LM in First Class, ie nothing, so it could be far worse!

Essexman

Established Member
I've been served after the last station the Travelling Chef is shown as available (going west). It seems to depend on how flexible the buffet staff and chef are. I'd go straight to the buffet when you board and ask nicely. You might be lucky.

TEW

Established Member
Well it depends on the cost. If the Travelling Chef is available from Swindon you'll be able to get it in Standard or First Class.

TheWalrus

Established Member
As I understand you are charged for the Travelling Chef whether you are in Standard or First?

Be3G

Established Member
That's correct. However, travelling in first class you get at-seat service with proper crockery and cutlery, whereas in standard you have to queue and wait at the buffet (sometimes for quite a long time if the chef's busy) and your food is served in cardboard packaging.

D1009

Established Member
That's correct. However, travelling in first class you get at-seat service with proper crockery and cutlery, whereas in standard you have to queue and wait at the buffet (sometimes for quite a long time if the chef's busy) and your food is served in cardboard packaging.
I recall some of them operated a system where in standard class you ordered from the buffet, returned to your seat, and when your order was ready it was announced over the PA and you went back to collect it. I haven't heard this lately, so I imagine it's been abandoned following complaints about too many announcements. It was very irritating.

TEW

Established Member

I would say you're more likely to be able to order something from the Travelling Chef in Standard than in First if boarding from Swindon. In Standard you go up to the buffet and order when you want whereas in First the staff come round and take your order. That said I have been on a service from Penzance in First Class before where the last Travelling Chef orders were taken shortly before Reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.