• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelling FC TGV Bordeaux to Paris

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmt-driver

I will be travelling on a weekday lunchtime train in a couple months on this route..

There are some Single advance tickets for about £50, doesn't seem too bad.. I was just wondering what I can expect to receive service wise?

Is there food and drinks served at the seat? And I take it the wifi is free in First Class?

Thanks for your help in advance :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WestCoast

Established Member
On a TGV. generally a first class ticket refers strictly to the type of accommodation you will be seated in. There isn't any complimentary at-seat catering to speak of on domestic TGV routes, but instead there is a cafe-bar between the 1st and 2nd class coaches - you pay the same prices as those passengers seated in 2nd class.

Don't know about the wifi.

rmt-driver

On a TGV. generally a first class ticket refers strictly to the type of accommodation you will be seated in. There isn't any complimentary at-seat catering to speak of on domestic TGV routes, but instead there is a cafe-bar between the 1st and 2nd class coaches - you pay the same prices as those passengers seated in 2nd class.

Don't know about the wifi.

Wow... what about at seat service?? I thought everyone raved about how great train services are in Europe... :s slightly miffed...

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I thought everyone raved about how great train services are in Europe...

That is a result of people often suffering a case of the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. The truth is a little more complex ;)

rmt-driver

Has anyone got any first hand experience travelling First Class on the TGV Bordeaux to Paris route??

If there is seriously no service available whatsoever, I may be tempted to fly, only a tenner more with Air France and that only takes 1 hr 10 mins.. with of course complementary refreshments !

LouJ

Done the trip both ways first class. Definitely no service of drinks or food included. Quite an interesting trip by train though.

Most of Europe does not offer anything beyond a seat in either 1st or 2nd class. The same applies to most of the UK too!

rmt-driver

Done the trip both ways first class. Definitely no service of drinks or food included. Quite an interesting trip by train though.

Most of Europe does not offer anything beyond a seat in either 1st or 2nd class. The same applies to most of the UK too!

I disagree, most long distance or intercity services in Britain have at least an at seat service of food drinks, complimentary refreshments.

And as we know the 'flagship' east and west coast routes have free booze and meals....

That sucks!! The tickets are comparatively the same (advance fares) if not a little more for a similar distance journey in France..

Do they at least have free wi-fi in 1st??

Thanks for your help btw :)

W-on-Sea

Established Member
I've travelled 1st class on TGVs elsewhere, and, no you won't get free food or drink, but you will get a comfy and spacious seat on a fantastic train. Main downside for me? The distance of Bordeaux St Jean station from the town centre, although a shiny new very bendy tram will whisk you there should you so wish

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk

rmt-driver

I've travelled 1st class on TGVs elsewhere, and, no you won't get free food or drink, but you will get a comfy and spacious seat on a fantastic train. Main downside for me? The distance of Bordeaux St Jean station from the town centre, although a shiny new very bendy tram will whisk you there should you so wish

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk

Hmmm I am very tempted just to book the flight. I've never done flying to/from Paris, how far is Orly airport and how long/easy is it to the centre.

I am really not liking the sound of this TGV at all!

Still no news on wifi ?

WestCoast

Established Member
That is a result of people often suffering a case of the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. The truth is a little more complex ;)

To be honest, I think some people are a little obsessed with "free catering" in this country (it's not free either - it's built into the cost of walk-up tickets). It's just not expected in mainland Europe as that's just how it's always been - a cultural difference you could say. ;)

Many services in Europe have proper restaurant cars serving decent meals to all passengers - how it used to be on East Coast!

TGV or VT Voyager / Pendo? TGV all the way!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hmmm I am very tempted just to book the flight. I've never done flying to/from Paris, how far is Orly airport and how long/easy is it to the centre.

Air France? You''ll get a cup of tea/coffee and a croissant, not really worth missing out on a TGV for! I actually like flying as well...

You could buy that from the bar-cafe for a few euros!
Still no news on wifi ?

Judging by the situation on Thalys, if there is wifi, it will be free in 1st. I don't know if it's fully rolled out on the LGV Atlantique.

Last edited:

rmt-driver

To be honest, I think some people are a little obsessed with "free catering" in this country (it's not free either - it's built into the cost of walk-up tickets). It's just not expected in mainland Europe as that's just how it's always been - a cultural difference you could say. ;)

Many services in Europe have proper restaurant cars serving decent meals to all passengers - how it used to be on East Coast!

TGV or VT Voyager / Pendo? TGV all the way!

Air France? You''ll get a cup of tea/coffee and a croissant, not really worth missing out on a TGV for! I actually like flying as well...

You could buy that from the bar-cafe for a few euros!

Judging by the situation on Thalys, if there is wifi, it will be free in 1st. I don't know if it's fully rolled out on the LGV Atlantique.

Thanks... Will this TGV have the restaurant?? I don't mind paying at all, even if it's 40euro say to have a hot meal and wine served fresh at my seat.... That's Not a lot to ask!

WestCoast

Established Member
Thanks... Will this TGV have the restaurant?? I don't mind paying at all, even if it's 40euro say to have a hot meal and wine served fresh at my seat.... That's Not a lot to ask!

Yes, a bar-cafe, not a full restaurant, but there is fairly decent hot food on offer. The SNCF website says €12.90 for a starter, main dish and drink (wine/beer/soft drink). Looks like Mushroom risotto or Pesto Chicken are choices for mains. Desserts are extra and cost between 2 and 4 euros (Ice cream/fruit salads/Tiramsu/Mousse e.t.c). Not really sure how good the value for money is or how good the food is (probably nothing spectacular).

The bar-cafe has seats and tables (nothing like an EC/FGW buffet or VT shop), I don't know the policy on serving food at-seat. It's done on SNCF International, Thalys, DB and OBB, not sure about SNCF domestic. You could always book a seat next the bar-cafe!

The few times I've travelled on a domestic TGV, many people had massive picnic baskets full of very nice looking food, so maybe the French prefer that. However, I know the restaurants are very well used in other parts of Europe.

Of course, 2nd class ticket holders also have access to the bar-cafe, so if it was me, I'd just book 2nd class (which I've always found to be perfectly comfortable on the TGV as you're guaranteed a seat of your choice)

Last edited:

rf_ioliver

I've done Paris-Nice and Marseille a good few times. To be honest it beats flying especially when you factor in getting to the airport, airport security and then from the airport.

1st class is very comfortable, though I've never found anything to really complain about 2nd class on the TGVs either.

Service is basic though the food from the buffet is reasonable and a chance to practice my almost non-existent French - never failed to get a good meal in France so it can't be that bad :)

Honest answer: go by train

t.

Ian

Yew

Established Member
So the cafebar would be a bit like a Buffet car on a HST, but with the seating in the carriage sort of functioning as a mini restaurant car?

WestCoast

Established Member
So the cafebar would be a bit like a Buffet car on a HST, but with the seating in the carriage sort of functioning as a mini restaurant car?

Probably the best way of explaining....
TGV-cafebar_2.JPG

Yew

Established Member
Probably the best way of explaining....
TGV-cafebar_2.JPG

Thats nice! and not a million miles away from what I was describing. A toc could probably use a TFB in the same way if they wished

Marton

Done Paris - Toulouse via Bordeaux TGV. 1h40 late. Return on the classic route on time.

Seats good food expensive and not wonderful

We see French trains as wonderful, but only 3 trains a day to/from Toulouse, France's 3rd or 4th city.

Much better here, even with EC as it is now

bkhtele

Recommend travelling 1st or 2nd class on Tgv excellent experience - once I was delayed & they gave me A refund. It is a bit like HST only better & more spacious.

Squaddie

Why is it so important to have refreshments served at your seat? You're paying for a larger, more comfortable seat in a better environment, and the additional fare is worth the money.

However, I don't really rate TGVs that highly. Even in first class, the seats are mainly airline style and don't always line up with the windows (depending on route), and there's a risk you'll end up with a seat facing backwards with just a wall alongside. I believe the SNCF website only allows you choose the type of seat you want (window/aisle, top deck/lower deck), and if you want to choose a specific seat you might have to phone Rail Europe and pay the additional phone booking fee.

rmt-driver

Why is it so important to have refreshments served at your seat? You're paying for a larger, more comfortable seat in a better environment, and the additional fare is worth the money.

However, I don't really rate TGVs that highly. Even in first class, the seats are mainly airline style and don't always line up with the windows (depending on route), and there's a risk you'll end up with a seat facing backwards with just a wall alongside. I believe the SNCF website only allows you choose the type of seat you want (window/aisle, top deck/lower deck), and if you want to choose a specific seat you might have to phone Rail Europe and pay the additional phone booking fee.

When travelling alone particularly, its important. Anyway its part of the service!!! I think...

In a foreign country, who wants to leave there luggage / laptop / iPad / very valuable things to go visit the buffet? In First Class there should be an at-seat service...

And that picture of the buffet doesn't impress me at all!! Looks rather crappy if you ask me...

WestCoast

Established Member
When travelling alone particularly, its important. Anyway its part of the service!!! I think...

In a foreign country, who wants to leave there luggage / laptop / iPad / very valuable things to go visit the buffet? In First Class there should be an at-seat service...

And that picture of the buffet doesn't impress me at all!! Looks rather crappy if you ask me...

It's part of the service for some UK operators, although on Weekends at Virgin (who you mentioned as a "flagship" operator) you get biscuits/crisps and a drink served at-seat if you're lucky, quite often there is not an at-seat service and you have to collect from the 'shop', where there are no seats or anything like that. Equally so, the offering on XC is minimal at best.

I really don't think the buffet looks that crappy, it's rather better than what is provided on Virgin, EC and FGW for Standard Class passengers and of course, there's nothing like that on XC. I am really not a fan of trolleys, I think they get in the way and are definetly not suitable for TGV Duplex double decker sets. I personally travel Standard Class as much as possible and to have a buffet where you can sit down and watch scenery is very appealing as opposed to trolley.

The point is that with SNCF, First Class buys you a better seat, that's solely what they offer. If it doesn't meet your needs, then travel Standard Class.

Last edited:

radamfi

Established Member
I find at seat service annoying. I prefer to be left in peace, especially if I've paid extra money for a First Class seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.