• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelling Flitwick to York

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitdiver

Can anybody advise the cheapest option for two adults Flitwick-York on any Saturday within the next 3 months. We want to go and visit the NRM. So must allow enough time for the visit however doesn't matter how early the departure is or how late the return journey gets us back to Flitwick. Would like to stay o/night but might be a bit pricey.

We both have Priv travel facilities so would this be the cheapest option.:D

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
In terms of travelling from Flitwick to York with PRIV :

I'd suggest :

Day Return

Flitwick to Bedford SDR £2.00
East Midlands 3 in 7 rover
Doncaster - York SDR £4.25

Overnight Return

2 x Flitwick to Bedford SDS £1.45
East Midlands 3 in 7 rover
2 x Doncaster to York SDS £3.50

I'm unsure of the price of the rover with PRIV, but other people will be able to tell you the price :)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
East Midlands 3 in 7 Rover is available at the full 75% discount for Priv holders.

NRE suggests that the full price is £75.30, which means that the Priv rate is £18.85, give or take 5p.

pitdiver

Thanks for the info but unfortunately I can't find the trains to match the fares. On enquiring on the NR website it just quotes via London nothing via Doncaster/Sheffield or am I missing something. Thanks for any advice.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Thanks for the info but unfortunately I can't find the trains to match the fares. On enquiring on the NR website it just quotes via London nothing via Doncaster/Sheffield or am I missing something. Thanks for any advice.

Yeah this is a problem with online timetables in that they assumes that you want to travel the quickest way (in this case via London) not necessarily the cheapest for your combination of tickets. (although via London may in fact be cheaper for many fares)

Just use your geography and pick appropriate splits en route then work out times for the individual legs. Changing at Bedford, Leicester, & Sheffield is one option.

Who is your employer? You may be entitled to some free travel on various TOCs - this could potentially alter the advice given for best way to go.

Last edited:

pitdiver

Yeah this is a problem with online timetables in that they assumes that you want to travel the quickest way (in this case via London) not necessarily the cheapest for your combination of tickets. (although via London may in fact be cheaper for many fares)

Just use your geography and pick appropriate splits en route then work out times for the individual legs. Changing at Bedford, Leicester, & Sheffield is one option.

Who is your employer? You may be entitled to some free travel on various TOCs - this could potentially alter the advice given for best way to go.

reb0118. I am a retired TFL employee who as part of a VS package kept my priv travel facility for myself and partner. I have already looked at your suggestions but it;s proving tricky. Might in the end decide to drive up there.
Might be easier. But thanks for the advice.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Here is a suggestion:-

1) dep Flitwick @ 06:26 arr Bedford @ 06:39
2) dep Bedford @ 06:48 arr Sheffield @ 08:52
3) dep Sheffield @ 09:21 arr York @ 10:16

and for coming back:-

1) dep YRK @ 19:34 arr SHF @ 20:20
2) dep SHF @ 20:27 arr LEI @ 21:36
3) dep LEI @ 21:54 arr BDM @ 22:38
4) dep BDM @ 22:40 arr FLT @ 22:51*

* tight connection but subsequent departures at 23:10 & 23:40

All times for Saturday 09/06/12 from the Deutsche Bahn (German Rail) website.

Using your priv card and getting the fares (inc East Midlands 3/7 Rover) suggested by Sonic this should be £25.10 return each.

You could always drive across to the ECM line (e.g. Stevenage) and get the train from there?

Last edited:

pitdiver

Here is a suggestion:-

1) dep Flitwick @ 06:26 arr Bedford @ 06:39
2) dep Bedford @ 06:48 arr Sheffield @ 08:52
3) dep Sheffield @ 09:21 arr York @ 10:16

and for coming back:-

1) dep YRK @ 19:34 arr SHF @ 20:20
2) dep SHF @ 20:27 arr LEI @ 21:36
3) dep LEI @ 21:54 arr BDM @ 22:38
4) dep BDM @ 22:40 arr FLT @ 22:51*

* tight connection but subsequent departures at 23:10 & 23:40

All times for Saturday 09/06/12 from the Deutsche Bahn (German Rail) website.

Using your priv card and getting the fares (inc East Midlands 3/7 Rover) suggested by Sonic this should be £25.10 return each.

You could always drive across to the ECM line (e.g. Stevenage) and get the train from there?

Thanks for this. I did spot the outward journey but the return journey is a tad late, thinking of something around about 1600-1700 departing York.:)

38Cto15E

as reb suggested, is there nothing on the ECML which would be better?
A shorter drive than going all tyhe way to york by car.:D

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thanks for this. I did spot the outward journey but the return journey is a tad late, thinking of something around about 1600-1700 departing York.:)
Yes, that's fine, these tickets are valid on any train so you can take any train you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.