• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelling from Birkenhead to Rhyl

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Howse

I've looked at National rail and there are two ways i can travel thats from Birkenhead to Chester,
Chester to Rhyl

and also can go via Conway Park to Bidston, Shotton, Rhyl

but my question is if i start at Birkenhead Central then it says the top route suggestion isn't valid on this ticket but if i start at Conway park it says the same ticket is valid by Chester.

Can someone clarify this for me?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scrapy

Established Member
I've looked at National rail and there are two ways i can travel thats from Birkenhead to Chester,
Chester to Rhyl

and also can go via Conway Park to Bidston, Shotton, Rhyl

but my question is if i start at Birkenhead Central then it says the top route suggestion isn't valid on this ticket but if i start at Conway park it says the same ticket is valid by Chester.

Can someone clarify this for me?
Not sure why but National Rail journey planners don't seem to allow travel via Chester from Birkenhead Central (or Green Lane) to Rhyl but they do from Conway Park (or Hamilton Square) for the same price. I'd just but my ticket from the latter but in reality you won't have any problems buying from Birkenhead Central and travelling via Chester.

I'm guessing the route via Bidston is the shortest route and via Chester is more than 3 miles longer. There may be an easement that allows travel from stations on the West Kirby and New Brighton lines via Chester but it accidentally doesn't cover travel from Birkenhead Central or Green Lane. From Rock Ferry via Chester becomes within 3 miles of the shortest route.

Last edited:

James Howse

Yes i thought buying a ticket from Birkenhead (all stations) doesnt allow it also.

Thanks for you help :D

sw1ller

Established Member
Just as a side note, you’re best off going via Chester as there’s more connections. Only the Manchester-Llandudno train stops at shotton (some others do but it gets confusing) and it’ll be quicker too. Coupled to the fact you can’t rely on a good service on the bidston line, especially north of shotton!

headshot119

Established Member
Just as a side note, you’re best off going via Chester as there’s more connections. Only the Manchester-Llandudno train stops at shotton (some others do but it gets confusing) and it’ll be quicker too. Coupled to the fact you can’t rely on a good service on the bidston line, especially north of shotton!

Changing on the outward trip at Shotton isn't the easiest, as you need to leave the station, and enter it again. The return isn't too bad, though some of the connections are quite tight.

sw1ller

Established Member
Changing on the outward trip at Shotton isn't the easiest, as you need to leave the station, and enter it again. The return isn't too bad, though some of the connections are quite tight.

It’s quite a horrible set up there. The last train from Chester is far too early too. If you’re having a night in Chester you have no option but to get a taxi home (or be in bed by 11!). The disabled access is woeful. To get to Chester you’d have to go via flint (out of station and under the bridge) or even Prestatyn! There’s plans to overhaul it but we’re talking 2023-2025 I think. It’s not good enough.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It’s quite a horrible set up there. The last train from Chester is far too early too. If you’re having a night in Chester you have no option but to get a taxi home (or be in bed by 11!). The disabled access is woeful. To get to Chester you’d have to go via flint (out of station and under the bridge) or even Prestatyn! There’s plans to overhaul it but we’re talking 2023-2025 I think. It’s not good enough.

TBH it is a nasty station in a fairly nasty place.

Status
Not open for further replies.