• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelling in Frankfurt

Status
Not open for further replies.

EM2

Established Member
I'm in Frankfurt for one evening in November.
I need to get from the airport to Festhalle probably via Hbf, and then back to Hbf.
If it's dry, then I have no problem walking to Festhalle from Hbf and back, but I want to be prepared in case it's lashing rain or driving snow.
I know it's S8 or S9 from the airport to Hbf and either U4 or trams 16/17 to Festhalle.
What ticket do I need for these journeys?
Do I need to validate the tickets in any way?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlexNL

Established Member
Germany is pretty good on integrated tickets, at the airport you can buy a single ticket to get you to your destination with S- and U-Bahn. Have a look at RMV's website for a journey planner and tariff calculator.

EAD

AlexNL has given you the right link and you know your options for the short hop Hbf- Festhalle. Basically it is a fare zone system so your tarrif is built out of having a ticket covering 5090 (where FRA is) and 5000 - usually called simply 50 (central Frankfurt). A single is €4.80 regular price and would allow you to change or hop out at Hbf and walk. A day ticket (valid on day of purchase until 4 am the following morning for the zones purchased) is €9.35. That would allow unlimited journeys in those zones: pricing is based on it being a little cheaper than 2 singles, so prices in from that point onwards.

Singles are sold as immediate travel only (so not sold in advance) and from memory are already time/date stamped in Frankfurt so no need to validate. Same for day tickets. A while since I was in Frankfurt mind.

One last point - don't hop on a long distance train at the airport as the local tariff does not apply.

EM2

Established Member

Attachments

• 20171019_161933.jpg
    20171019_161933.jpg
    566.2 KB · Views: 17

AlexNL

Established Member
Yes, that ticket is valid for travel to and from the event.

Applicable conditions:
- Hinfahrt frühestens fünf Stunden vor Beginn; => valid from 5 hours before the start of the event
- Rückfahrt bis Betriebsschluss; => valid until end of service
- 1. Klasse nur mit Zuschlag. => To travel in 1st class you'll have to pay a supplement.

Veteran Member
V common practice in Germany.

As mentined, not valid on IC/ICE trains, but these leave from the Fernbahnhof at FRA, not the Regionalbahnhof, so not really a problem.

darloscott

If you're going to the Messe I'm thinking of then bus 46 from the front of the Hbf stops very near the Messe. I stayed at the Hampton hotel up that way recently and the 46 runs every 15 minutes from the station to there. They're in the middle of extending the U5 line up that way ut not finished yet. It's a very smart area though!

Status
Not open for further replies.