• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelling in London with children

Status
Not open for further replies.

talltim

Established Member
we are going spend a couple of days in London as a family. My wife and I were planning to use contactless debit card but I can’t work out how it works for our kids (8 and 10).
The TfL site has information about Zip Oystercards, but it’s too late to get them. It also talks about kids going free with adults using Visitor Ouster but nothing about what if you don’t fit those categories
Our actual journeys will be Kew Bridge to Barbican return on one day (the second day will be just bus which I understand is free for kids whatever). However we might have a walk around and return to Kew from a different central London station. What’s going to be the best way of doing it?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ethano92

This information is incorrect. See below.

I'm pretty sure children up to 10 travel free on all TFL services and most national rail services in London (including SWR from Kew Bridge), the whole 5-10 zip card is extremely unnecessary and the vast, vast majority of children living in London only get the 11-15 which is necessary.

Pretty sure you just go to the wide gate, tap in as an adult and walk through with you're children who don't need a ticket since they're younger than 11.

If I'm wrong and they do need tickets you'd have to get child day travelcards for them which they'd be able to use throughout the day, so it wouldn't matter if you had a quick change of plan and wanted to travel to a few other spots. I am however 98% sure that children under 11 travel free with a fare paying adult.

Edit, can confirm. Quoted from the TFL website

When you don't need a 5-10 Zip Oyster photocard
Your child doesn't need a photocard to:

• Travel free on buses and trams
  • Buy child-rate paper tickets (unless they look older than 10)
  • Travel accompanied by an adult on Tube, DLR, London Overground, TfL Rail and some National Rail services

They'll be travelling with you so they're fine. They go for free without a zip card (with nothing)

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'm pretty sure children up to 10 travel free on all TFL services and most national rail services in London (including SWR from Kew Bridge), the whole 5-10 zip card is extremely unnecessary and the vast, vast majority of children living in London only get the 11-15 which is necessary.

Pretty sure you just go to the wide gate, tap in as an adult and walk through with you're children who don't need a ticket since they're younger than 11.

If I'm wrong and they do need tickets you'd have to get child day travelcards for them which they'd be able to use throughout the day, so it wouldn't matter if you had a quick change of plan and wanted to travel to a few other spots. I am however 98% sure that children under 11 travel free with a fare paying adult.

Edit, can confirm. Quoted from the TFL website

They'll be travelling with you so they're fine. They go for free without a zip card (with nothing)
It's a shame you didn't read the information that you quoted.

There is a big difference between "most" and "some". In particular "some National Rail services" does NOT include any SWR services out of Waterloo. I can assure you that a 5-10 zip card is very worthwhile if the holder makes a reasonable number of journeys spread throughout the 6 years of validity.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
we are going spend a couple of days in London as a family. My wife and I were planning to use contactless debit card but I can’t work out how it works for our kids (8 and 10).
The TfL site has information about Zip Oystercards, but it’s too late to get them. It also talks about kids going free with adults using Visitor Ouster but nothing about what if you don’t fit those categories
Our actual journeys will be Kew Bridge to Barbican return on one day (the second day will be just bus which I understand is free for kids whatever). However we might have a walk around and return to Kew from a different central London station. What’s going to be the best way of doing it?
Kids under 11 travel free on TfL services, and the National Rail services which charge TfL fares. Sadly this does NOT include SWR services between Kew Bridge and Waterloo. If you can use nearby Gunnersbury instead then they will travel for free. A child return ticket from Kew Bridge to London Terminals is £3.90. You can then use buses and Underground for free without showing a ticket. You could also return from Victoria changing at Clapham Junction. The child travelcard is £6.50 which is probably overkill in your situation.

talltim

Established Member
We ended up getting the bus to Goldhawk Road and getting the District to Monument then the Circle from Barbican back to Goldhawk Road and the bus back. As tourists the top deck is a good sightseeing method.
Only problem is my wife didn’t realise she needed to use the same contactless card... doh!

tony_mac

Established Member
Only problem is my wife didn’t realise she needed to use the same contactless card... doh!
I've done it a couple of times, and there has been no problem getting a refund. In one case, the two cards were both already registered to me online, and it happened automatically.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
It's a shame you didn't read the information that you quoted.

There is a big difference between "most" and "some". In particular "some National Rail services" does NOT include any SWR services out of Waterloo. I can assure you that a 5-10 zip card is very worthwhile if the holder makes a reasonable number of journeys spread throughout the 6 years of validity.
Indeed. The 5-10 Zip is handy if you travel on National Rail outwith the TfL fares, as it will charge child fares. It also gets younger kids used to using Oyster, ready for when they do need to use it

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Indeed. The 5-10 Zip is handy if you travel on National Rail outwith the TfL fares, as it will charge child fares. It also gets younger kids used to using Oyster, ready for when they do need to use it
Holders of 5-10 zip cards pay nothing on virtually all NR services. Only services for Merstham to Gatwick, Epsom, Cuffley to Hertford North and St Pancras Int'l to Stratford Int'l charge.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Holders of 5-10 zip cards pay nothing on virtually all NR services. Only services for Merstham to Gatwick, Epsom, Cuffley to Hertford North and St Pancras Int'l to Stratford Int'l charge.
Keeps changing. Can't keep up with it! Just remember a few years ago went Norwood Junction - Canada Water - Canary Wharf - Greenwich and my child ended up paying for the journey, despite using TfL services throughout, and touching pink readers at Canada Water, as well as OSI at Canary Wharf, because it was assumed we went via London Bridge and SouthEastern Trains!

Status
Not open for further replies.