• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelling Peak with a Super Off Peak LNR&XC train ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnkleBoots

I'd like to travel on the return portion of this ticket, from Sheffield to Tamworth at 8am on a Tuesday, with a break of journey in Tamworth.

Possible? or likely to cause difficult questions onboard Cross Country?

SUPER OFFPEAK R [LG]
OPR
From LONDON EUSTON
To SHEFFIELD
Route LNR AND XC ONLY

PRICE
Fare set by: LBR WEST MIDLANDS TRAINS
Passengers per ticket: 1 adult OR 1 child
Discount Status Status Code
(shown on ticket)
Price
ADULT £49.50
CHILD CHILD £24.75

brfares said:
Not valid for travel on services timed to arrive London Terminals before 13:00.

Not valid for travel on northbound services timed to depart any station before 10:30.

Not valid for travel on services timed to depart the origin station on the ticket after 15:59 and before 19:01 in either direction, except on:

• 18:46 (Saturday service) from London Euston to stations between Nuneaton and Crewe.
  • 18:25 (Saturday service) Northampton to Birmingham.
A connecting service can be used to complete a journey begun at a valid time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I'd like to travel on the return portion of this ticket, from Sheffield to Tamworth at 8am on a Tuesday, with a break of journey in Tamworth.

Possible? or likely to cause difficult questions onboard Cross Country?
Not permissible, because the ticket has break of journey restrictions. Of course, how the CrossCountry train manager is expected to know that you're breaking your journey and not simply making your way to the London platform to catch your connecting train, from merely seeing you disappear down the stairs from the High Level platforms, I don't know!

If you are discovered breaking your journey you are liable to pay the excess between the fare you paid, and the cheapest fare permitting break of journey that was valid at the time of travel.

As to the prospect of trouble, I'd like to hope that the XC train managers come across these tickets often enough to know they are unrestricted, but sometimes my confidence is unrealistic and thus it would be wise to bring along a copy of the restriction code (which will be referenced on the ticket) or an itinerary showing it as being permitted on the train you are thinking of catching.

AnkleBoots

I think maybe it is better for me not to mention any break of journey then, and hope that the train manager doesn't work out that I could arrive in Euston before 1300.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Not permissible, because the ticket has break of journey restrictions....
LG apparently allows BoJ on the return (i.e is restricted outward only), and I understand from the description that it is the return journey that is being planned here.

edit crossposted with above

gray1404

Established Member
Break of journey is allowed on the return portion which the OP is using.

There are only restrictions on the train's arrival time into London Terminals. So getting the 07.53 from Sheffield to Tamworth, arriving 08.49, on a train that does not arrive in any London Terminal is fine. The first direct train from Tamworth to Euston the OP could travel on is the 12.20 arriving at 13.50

If I was questioned on the first train I would either say that I was going to break my journey at Tamworth and wait for the first train into London I'm allowed to get. Or I might say that I understand I am restricted on what time I can arrive into London so I am going to have an extended stop at Tamworth (to do some train spotting) and wait for the 12.20.

hkstudent

Established Member
Break of journey is allowed on the return portion which the OP is using.

There are only restrictions on the train's arrival time into London Terminals. So getting the 07.53 from Sheffield to Tamworth, arriving 08.49, on a train that does not arrive in any London Terminal is fine. The first direct train from Tamworth to Euston the OP could travel on is the 12.20 arriving at 13.50

If I was questioned on the first train I would either say that I was going to break my journey at Tamworth and wait for the first train into London I'm allowed to get. Or I might say that I understand I am restricted on what time I can arrive into London so I am going to have an extended stop at Tamworth (to do some train spotting) and wait for the 12.20.
I am thinking whether the time restriction applies to the XC leg as it is a connecting operator for that ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.