Travelling routes historically

Discussion in 'Railway History & Nostalgia' started by ReeceEmmitt, 27 Apr 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReeceEmmitt

ReeceEmmitt Member

I'm doing some research for a pet project of mine and I wondered if anyone here had any pointers.

Say it's 1939 and I've just got the transatlantic liner to Liverpool from NY. I want to get to Cardiff. What is the quickest/easiest way? Is there a website or anything like that that would have this sort of information?

Thanks in advance

2. ilkestonian

ilkestonian Member

One way would be to get hold of a Bradshaws for that era.

3. Taunton

Taunton Established Member

Ferry from the landing stage across to Birkenhead Woodside, then GWR through carriage via Chester, Shrewsbury, Hereford.

4. 30907

30907 Established Member

A 1938 edition was reprinted many years ago and may be available in public libraries. Or someone else may have one more easily accessible than mine! If not PM me.
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    The obvious route but the LMS may have had something too from Lime St.

5. Bevan Price

Bevan Price Established Member

July 1938 Bradshaw reprint shows a 09:43 (SX) Birkenhead Woodside to Cardiff (arrive 13:51), attached (presumably at Shrewsbury) to a service from Manchester (London Road). Ferry connection from Liverpoo (Landing Stage) was at 09:30. On Saturdays, you had to change at Shrewsbury, or wait for a 10:30 Birkenhead to Cardiff (arr. 15:30) & Plymouth.

There was also a 10:20 (SO) Liverpool (Lime St.) to Swansea & Paignton, which reached Cardiff at 15:03.

At that time, and until the late 1960s, most trains from the Liverpool / Manchester area to South Wales & West Country were routed via Shrewsbury & Hereford rather than via Birmingham.

One alternative is that "Ocean Liner Expresses" ran to/from Liverpool Riverside connecting with the major liners; these were mainly from/to London, and do not appear in public timetables, so I don't know where they called between Euston & Liverpool - you would need the locate the 1930s special traffic notices (or equivalent) for more details.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.