• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelling to Olympic Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whistler40145

Established Member
I am wanting to visit the Olympic Stadium area.

I am staying out in the Elstree & Borehamwood area.

Is it better to change at West Hampstead Thameslink & then use the NLL to Stratford or continue through to St Pancras & catch a train to Stratford International?

Using both routes above, are both available to use PAYG Oyster Cards?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?pwm1kc

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
You can't use oyster on southeastern services between St Pancras and Stratford International.

TP

causton

Established Member
The NLL is very slow, if you like sitting in one place for a long time with a lot of stops fine, if not I would go to Farringdon, change there onto a Circle/Met/H+C Eastbound to Liverpool Street then one stop on Greater Anglia to Stratford. I've tried it and it feels quicker than the NLL although probably takes about the same time... It gets a bit more variety of trains in as well :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I find the TfL Journey Planner to be quite useful.

I am wanting to visit the Olympic Stadium area.

I am staying out in the Elstree & Borehamwood area.

Is it better to change at West Hampstead Thameslink & then use the NLL to Stratford...
Journey planners give the time for this as around 1 hour. This is about 15 mins longer than changing at Farringdon & Liverpool Street, however if you can walk quickly between the West Hampstead stations you may be able to reduce the time by 10 mins (e.g. some connections will give you 13 mins to change trains, it could be doable in 3 minutes if you get off at a set of doors near the footbridge and walk quickly).

Assuming you do not have a Games Travelcard, then changing at West Hampstead will be a lot cheaper as you would be avoiding Zone 1 (see the TfL single fare finder).

...or continue through to St Pancras & catch a train to Stratford International?

Using both routes above, are both available to use PAYG Oyster Cards?
It will be a lot quicker to change at St Pancras for HS1 to Stratford International. But it will also be a lot more expensive (unless you have a Games Travelcard?) and HS1 does not accept Oyster PAYG.

Therefore, I cannot say which is better. As for what is "better", it's so subjective that it is impossible to answer.

(Of course there are other aspects that could determine better, such as an out of station interchange being undesirable in poor weather, mobility requirements, etc...)

IslandDweller

Not entirely clear when you want to visit, so in case you're not already aware, you can't get into the Olympic park unless you have a ticket for an event.
If you just want to see from the outside, you do get a reasonable view from the viewing window in the Olympic store which is inside the John Lewis store at Westfield. You also get some reasonable views on
- the GreaterAnglia trains between Liverpool St and Stratford(regional)
- the DLR between BowChurch and Stratford(regional)
-the Overground trains between Homerton and Stratford(regional).
The DLR route from Canning Town to StratfordInternational cuts through the Olympic park, but is mostly in tunnel at the Olympic park so the view is nil.

barrykas

Established Member
Thanks for that info. I can understand why you can't access the Olympic Park. The level of Security has to be extremely tight.

Indeed...And it's getting worse as the Olympics draw closer:
  • Stratford City Bus Station (by Westfield) closed on 6th June and doesn't reopen 'til 12th September. Buses are diverted to the main bus station (on the opposite side of the rail corridor) for the duration.
  • From Monday 18th June, ALL of the car parks at Westfield close until after the Paralympic Games.

So the closest parking to Westfield for the duration of the Games will be...the Stratford Centre. From where you'll have to cross the entire rail corridor to get in. Alternative access should still be available from Stratford International and through the subways at Stratford Regional though.

Cheers,

Barry

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
It will be a lot quicker to change at St Pancras for HS1 to Stratford International. But it will also be a lot more expensive (unless you have a Games Travelcard?) and HS1 does not accept Oyster

....has me wondering if the "Games Family" oystercards will be valid on Javelin services - one would expect they should be.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
....has me wondering if the "Games Family" oystercards will be valid on Javelin services - one would expect they should be.

If they have a travelcard on them then they might be, but there are no Oyster readers at either St Pancras HS1 platforms or Stratford International HS1 platforms, so PAYG has to be a no no.

barrykas

Established Member

The "Games Family" Oysters are treated as a standard retal Oyster for revenue purposes, thus not valid on HS1, and are loaded with either a Zone 1-6 Travelcard Season or £10, £20 or £90 of Pay As You Go credit.

It's not possible to top them up, add further Season tickets or Discount entitlements to them and they'll all be hotlisted after the Games.

Cheers,

Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.