• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

travelling with a bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

can you travel with a bike on a train with a advance ticket?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
On all Advance tickets except Megatrain, who scroungingly withdrew it at the end of last year.

Many long distance intercity companies, especially CrossCountry insist on a reservation.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
When booking an advance ticket, it is possible to reserve the bicycle space at the same time as the ticket.
But if you haven't, you can also add a cycle reservation at a later date - perhaps easiest to do at a station.

. . . CrossCountry insist on a reservation.
as do East Coast, however Virgin Trains say "remember to book a reservation for your bike in advance.
Sorry, but it's currently not possible to make bike space reservations online.
"

Last edited:

telstarbox

Established Member
I would reserve the bike space first then book the Advance ticket for the same train. Otherwise you could have the Advance but not be able to take the bike!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I would reserve the bike space first then book the Advance ticket for the same train. Otherwise you could have the Advance but not be able to take the bike!
If you must use a website that cannot handle bike reservations, yes.

Providing you use a WebTIS powered site (e.g. East Coast, LM, Southern etc) you should be fine. Double-check that the reservation details state that a place has been reserved for the bike before making payment (as sometimes it doesn't reserve the place and doesn't make this position clear).

jopsuk

Veteran Member
If you've got a connection which also has bike reservations, and you;re doing a return, do prepared that if you collect your ticket from a machine you may get a veritable tsunami of car- make sure you get every single bit and use them at the right time!

(edit: Huge image removed! Feel free to replace the image if you can make it smaller)

Last edited by a moderator:

thanks guys for the replys, i shall be travelling wolverhampton to carlisle changing at preston on a sunday morning, with virgin and tpe.

kieron

Established Member
When booking an advance ticket, it is possible to reserve the bicycle space at the same time as the ticket.
But if you haven't, you can also add a cycle reservation at a later date - perhaps easiest to do at a station.
You are quite likely to find that the reserved seat you are obliged to use is nowhere near any cycle storage if you book them separately.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
You are quite likely to find that the reserved seat you are obliged to use is nowhere near any cycle storage if you book them separately.
Indeed.
I'd go as far as to say they're not very likely to be nearby, even if I book them simultaneously!
But so what?
When travelling to Edinburgh, London, Newcastle, Bristol, Inverness, etc, then there's plenty time to wander down the platform, to the other end of the train if neccessary.
If travelling to stations with a shorter dwell time then I simply start walking through the train before reaching the destination.

There is one member of the forum who failed to recover their bike from the DVT on one journey, but I believe that was due to a failure to communicate the need for platform staff to open the DVT as it was the Guard who was at the opposite end of the train, not the passenger!
I always let the guard know if I want to get off with a bike at a station with short dwell time - the knowledge has always been appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.