• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TrawsCambria / TrawsCymru

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaveHarries

Established Member
Stagecoach South Wales now have the new T4 / T14 timetable online which also shows X4 journeys. Noticeable changes include more journeys between Brecon and Cardiff to give a roughly hourly service (something which was called for a while back IIRC? Not clockface hourly but an improvement nonetheless) due to most T14 journeys running through to Cardiff. Also more T4 journeys running north of Merthyr Tydfil to Llandrindod Wells and Newtown on Sundays and Bank Holidays.

https://tiscon-maps-stagecoachbus.s.../Wales/September changes/Online X4 T4 T14.pdf

Dave

johntrawscymru

On Moderation
Free Weekend Travel and Trawscymru Carpet Deliveries.

Has anyone seen figures on expenditure on Free Weekend Travel.

I went to catch the T5 in Aberystwyth and the Trawscymru T5 bus was there ready to board but another empty Brodyr Richards bus turned up with T5 displayed . I asked the drivers which bus to get on thinking the Trawscymru bus had broken down. They said use the Trawscymru T5 as the Brodyr Richards T5 was an extra bus for the Free Weekend Travel. The passengers got on the Trawscymru T5. Just before we were due to leave a man turned up with a 10 foot roll of carpet and asked if he could go on the bus to Penparcau (outskirts of Aberystwyth). The driver of the Trawscymru T5 said no because the roll of carpet would make access on/off difficult for passengers and the driver was quite correct in taking this view . However the driver of the Brodyr Richards T5, said quite rightly, in the interests of customer care, that he had an empty bus and he would put the roll off carpet in the aisle of his bus. So off we went in tandem . One Trawscymru T5 with 16 passengers and an empty Brodyr Richards T5 following on with a roll of carpet.

If this is being repeated across Wales, ( ie empty buses running up and down the country), the waste of money must be colossal.

Bwsbro

Once passenger numbers settled down on the weekends, duplicate buses were withdrawn on the majority of the Traws services

Smethwickian

No point anyone looking on the Tanat Valley website for any information (which is what I've just wasted my time doing); the local & express service page doesn't seem to have been updated for about 5 years!
Also zilch on the TrawsCymru website and nowt yet on the Traveline Cymru site.
Nothing, either, on the Gwynedd, Conwy, Flintshire, Denbighshire or Wrexham council websites.
What's the betting there will be barely any publicity and hardly any information in advance of the launch?
Why do so many authorities which do still support public transport seem to like spending public money on subsidising unadvertised ghost bus services and then wonder why they're carrying fresh air?

Last edited:

Statto

Established Member
Also zilch on the TrawsCymru website and nowt yet on the Traveline Cymru site.
Nothing, either, on the Gwynedd, Conwy, Flintshire, Denbighshire or Wrexham council websites.
What's the betting there will be barely any publicity and hardly any information in advance of the launch?
Why do so many authorities which do still support public transport seem to like spending public money on subsidising unadvertised ghost bus services and then wonder why they're carrying fresh air?

TrawsCymru site is awful & they don't even have timetables up, just direct you to Traveline for timetables instead.:(

carlberry

Established Member
TrawsCymru site is awful & they don't even have timetables up, just direct you to Traveline for timetables instead.:(
I cant see whats wrong with that (i.e. the timetable linking method, not the fact it's an awful site and dosent get updated). It links to the actual timetable (i.e. not to the front page of the site) so there's one place to update the timetable, not two and the user gets directly to the timetable there were after. It would be nicer if the Traveline site had a feature to allow rendering of the timetable in other formats (so it looked like it was actually from the TrawsCymru site) however this is a minor issue.

rich.davies

VOSA website now showing that Lloyds coaches have registered a service from Oswestry to Wrexham via Chirk under route number T12-4.

trawscymru27

Bwsbro

Registrations for the T12 by both Lloyds Coaches and Tanat Valley have been approved by the traffic commisioner

• PG1012786/77 Registered (Short notice)
    R E MORRIS & SONS LTD

Route: Welshpool High Street to Oswald Road , Oswestry via Guilsfield, Ardleen, Llandrinio, Four Crosses, Llanmynech, Pant, Morda

Service number: T12C

Service type: Hail & Ride, Normal Stopping

Effective date: 03 Sep 2018

• PG1012786/76 Registered (Short notice)
    R E MORRIS & SONS LTD

Route: Newtown Bus Station to Welshpool High Street via Abermule, Montgomerym Kingswood

Service number: T12B

Service type: Normal Stopping

• PG1012786/75 Registered (Short notice)
    R E MORRIS & SONS LTD

Route: Machynlleth Railway Station Approach to Newtown Bus Station via Llan Brynmawr, Carno, Llanwnog, Caersws

Service number: T12A

Service type: Hail & Ride, Normal Stopping

• PG1106541/23 Registered (Short notice)
    LLOYDS COACHES LIMITED

Route: Machynlleth (coach depot) to Newtown Bus Station via Llanbrynmair

Service number: T12-1

Service type: Hail & Ride

• PG1106541/22 Registered (Short notice)
    LLOYDS COACHES LIMITED

Route: Newtown Bus Station to Welshpool High Street via Montgomery

Service number: T12-2

• PG1106541/21 Registered (Short notice)
    LLOYDS COACHES LIMITED

Route: Welshpool High Street to Oswestry, Park Gates via Llanymynech

Service number: T12-3

adey2011

Registrations for the T12 by both Lloyds Coaches and Tanat Valley have been approved by the traffic commisioner
The last section for each operator Oswestry to Wrexham isn't showing yet though, any signs of a timetable yet?

DaveHarries

Established Member
Machynlleth - Oswestry sounds like a seriously long trip. I wonder how long it will be scheduled to take end-to-end?

Dave

Swr28

Ive just tried a search for a bus service between Machynlleth and Newtown on Tuesday the 4th, traveline has given me 4 bus changes and i have to travel via Dolgellau, Bala, Wrexham and Shrewsbury using the T2, T3, etc. No mention of any buses between Machynlleth-Llanbrynmair-Newtown. Quite bad the Friday before the college term begins there are no advertised bus services to use..How many panicking parents, students will there be..although there is the private 26 that runs to the Laura Ashley factory in Newtown..

trawscymru27

Timetable for the new T11/ T12 now available on Powys CC Passenger Transport Unit Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=2164776487178393&id=1538469839809064
At last! I was beginning to think it wouldn’t appear before the service started. It’s still not on traveline, though, nor on the TrawsCymru website. Absolutely shambolic considering this is supposed to be a flagship initiative to encourage greater use of public transport etc etc.

As regards the timetable, it appears that in most cases the three services (X85, 71 and X71) have just been joined together, with minimal changes to departure times (in most cases less than 10 minutes). There is a new later service from Oswestry to Welshpool at 1938 and an earlier Welshpool to Oswestry at 0648. Then of course there are the Wrexham extensions - it remains to be seen how successful these will be.

Swr28

Some concern on Lloyd's Coaches Facebook site (where i found the timetable) of the removal of the 07.30 from Machynlleth to Newtown now runs at 06.54, Lloyds have replied stating a separate service will run at 07.30 to Coleg Powys. Also an apology from Lloyds for the late publication of the timetable.

Had a rather peculiar tweet from TravelineCymru when requesting details of the new service today (Sun 2nd Sept)
TravelineCymru Twitter Account said:
Apologies for the delay in responding. We do not believe that the new TrawsCymru services are starting this week and we have not been forwarded the new timetables. We will investigate when they are due to start and let you know. Thanks
It all seems a bit discombobulated and exteamly last minute.

Original tweet available to view at: twitter.com/TravelineCymru/status/1036308964491882496

RELL6L

Interesting trip out last Friday - not all relevant to this thread but I'm keen to post it somewhere.
Starting at Ystradgynlais:
NAT 64 Ystradgynlais 09.15, Ammanford 10.16
First 128 Ammanford 10.35, Llanelli 11.44
First 195 Llanelli 11.45, Carmarthen 12.40 (was running late or would have got an X11)
Celtic Travel X14 Carmarthen 13.33 Builth Wells 15.07 (Fridays only)
Stagecoach T4 Builth Wells 16.27, Talgarth 17.02
Stagecoach 39 Talgarth 17.20, Brecon 17.41
NAT T6 Brecon 18.10, Ystradgynlais 18.59

I thoroughly recommend the X14. Only once a week but the scenery between Llandovery and Builth Wells, especially near Sugar Loaf, is excellent. Between Carmarthen and Llandelio it runs the other side of the river from the 280/281. Surprised that quite a few passengers used it just to Llandovery when there is a regular service, but several more went through to Builth Wells and stayed on - it clearly goes on to Llandrindod. I was surprised it cost as much a £8 but good value for the distance. Run by a Solo.

What interested me was that the fare from Builth to Talgarth (35 mins - £2.80) was only about half the fare from Talgarth to Brecon (21 minutes - £5.50). Presumably because - as of last week - the T4 is tendered and the 39 commercial. I just wanted to stop off to see Talgarth and no doubt it would have been much cheaper not to (but then it would have been cheaper to stay at home!).The 39 was 10 minutes late but I had been following this struggling through the Hereford traffic on the Stagecoach website before leaving Builth and it was spot on the predicted time.

Now the 39 is the T14 and part of TrawsCambria is the fare from Talgarth to Brecon much less? The T4 journey I took diverted via Talgarth, presumably (during term times) for school or college children from Llandrindod judging by the times. With the new timetable just started there is no journey at a similar time (in the interest of a clockface timetable bwteen Brecon and Merthyr?) and only a morning journey diverts this way. Presumably these children will need a dedicated school bus now? And will Stagecoach be compensated for having their commercial 39 service to Hereford taken over by TrawsCambria with - perhaps - lower fares (at least in Wales)? The new T14 timetable is interesting in that on non-college days the first journey from Hereford and the last journey to Hereford break at Hay on Wye for 47/61 minutes. No doubt there is some reason for this - I would be interest to know what!

The last leg was another TrawsCambria route, the T6, also very scenic throughout the section I rode in early evening sunshine. I didn't expect there to be anyone else on it at this time but actually there were a few from Brecon and more around Abercraf.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Interesting trip out last Friday - not all relevant to this thread but I'm keen to post it somewhere.
Starting at Ystradgynlais:
NAT 64 Ystradgynlais 09.15, Ammanford 10.16
First 128 Ammanford 10.35, Llanelli 11.44
First 195 Llanelli 11.45, Carmarthen 12.40 (was running late or would have got an X11)
Celtic Travel X14 Carmarthen 13.33 Builth Wells 15.07 (Fridays only)
Stagecoach T4 Builth Wells 16.27, Talgarth 17.02
Stagecoach 39 Talgarth 17.20, Brecon 17.41
NAT T6 Brecon 18.10, Ystradgynlais 18.59

I thoroughly recommend the X14. Only once a week but the scenery between Llandovery and Builth Wells, especially near Sugar Loaf, is excellent. Between Carmarthen and Llandelio it runs the other side of the river from the 280/281. Surprised that quite a few passengers used it just to Llandovery when there is a regular service, but several more went through to Builth Wells and stayed on - it clearly goes on to Llandrindod. I was surprised it cost as much a £8 but good value for the distance. Run by a Solo.

What interested me was that the fare from Builth to Talgarth (35 mins - £2.80) was only about half the fare from Talgarth to Brecon (21 minutes - £5.50). Presumably because - as of last week - the T4 is tendered and the 39 commercial. I just wanted to stop off to see Talgarth and no doubt it would have been much cheaper not to (but then it would have been cheaper to stay at home!).The 39 was 10 minutes late but I had been following this struggling through the Hereford traffic on the Stagecoach website before leaving Builth and it was spot on the predicted time.

Now the 39 is the T14 and part of TrawsCambria is the fare from Talgarth to Brecon much less? The T4 journey I took diverted via Talgarth, presumably (during term times) for school or college children from Llandrindod judging by the times. With the new timetable just started there is no journey at a similar time (in the interest of a clockface timetable bwteen Brecon and Merthyr?) and only a morning journey diverts this way. Presumably these children will need a dedicated school bus now? And will Stagecoach be compensated for having their commercial 39 service to Hereford taken over by TrawsCambria with - perhaps - lower fares (at least in Wales)? The new T14 timetable is interesting in that on non-college days the first journey from Hereford and the last journey to Hereford break at Hay on Wye for 47/61 minutes. No doubt there is some reason for this - I would be interest to know what!

The last leg was another TrawsCambria route, the T6, also very scenic throughout the section I rode in early evening sunshine. I didn't expect there to be anyone else on it at this time but actually there were a few from Brecon and more around Abercraf.

I can't answer any of your questions but I applaud your adventuring spirit <:D Sounds like an excellent day out! Aside from the 39 (and possibly the 195 - I can't recall), I've not done any of those routes though I have been a frequent visitor to the area so know the roads and places - just a bit envious of you. The X14 would be a fantastic run out past Cynghordy and Sugar Loaf, and past the "museum" at Browns of Builth. Also, brave to effect a change at Talgarth!!!

Thanks for posting - I think it's fairly relevant to TC anyway :D

iantherev

The T14 for the whole of its length and the T4 south of Brecon are now commercial. North of Bishop’s Meadow the T4 is still run under contract to Powys.

Status
Not open for further replies.