• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tree damage to rolling stock - Chiltern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
What makes you think its Crewe?
Haven't been any DMUs (or EMUs or LHCS or Locos) for years at the works
Bodywork repairs are normally now done at Wolverton
Brian

Am I right in thinking that Bombardiers Crewe facility isn't even rail connected anymore, with the connection taken out several years ago? Crewe In recent years has only been carryioumg out Bogie overhauls, with Litchurch Lane and Ilford carrying out stock refurbishment and maintenance.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Many thanks for the information on the sad demise of Crewe Works. I only suggested Crewe because I'd read some years a go that it was at the time carrying out body repairs.

I'm old enough to remember Crewe Works open days in the 1970's and what a place it was then!

t_star2001uk

Last i heard 168325 has been reassembled and is currently having a coat of paint on the front end. It should also return with a couple of interior tweaks as well. 168113 on the other hand was inspected an damage was found on the anti-missile plate which will require a more in depth repair.

Chrisgr31

Established Member
As a matter of interest who pays for fixing the units? Its presumably the TOC but would it be Network Rail? I am merely pondering it because as I understand it the Delay Repay etc from a tree being on the line is ultimately in theory Network Rails ability as its there line and they should have cut down all the trees before they fell down. On that basis it would seem fixing the train should be their bill. However if I was driving my car and hit a fallen tree it would only be the tree owners liability if I could prove they were negligent and should have done something about the tree before it came down.

I guess a related question is are the trains insured against damage?

t_star2001uk

As a matter of interest who pays for fixing the units? Its presumably the TOC but would it be Network Rail? I am merely pondering it because as I understand it the Delay Repay etc from a tree being on the line is ultimately in theory Network Rails ability as its there line and they should have cut down all the trees before they fell down. On that basis it would seem fixing the train should be their bill. However if I was driving my car and hit a fallen tree it would only be the tree owners liability if I could prove they were negligent and should have done something about the tree before it came down.

I believe and i will have a look tomorrow to confirm that the tree was outside of the boundary fence.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

It all comes back to NR, even when the tree is outside the fence.

t_star2001uk

Here are the latest pictures we have of 168113.

These pictures are not mine.

Anti Missile panel removed

New Cab Shell

fgwrich

Established Member
What is all that brown flaky looking stuff I see on parts of the front frames ?.

Possibly either rust or glue.

In a way, I'm a little surprised they didn't take the chance to replace the light clusters with the better looking later and more simpler version, rather than sticking to the original 3 light versions that have a tendency of 'fogging' up. Possibly a spare mould lingering in Derby then. At least it's slowly on the way back!

I wonder though how long the repairs would have taken if the front was made of Alu like Siemens / TPEs 185s than Bombardiers Fiberglass and metal framework.

As a side note, hehe, anyone spot the ex Thameslink moquette covering the coupling bar.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
In a way, I'm a little surprised they didn't take the chance to replace the light clusters with the better looking later and more simpler version, rather than sticking to the original 3 light versions that have a tendency of 'fogging' up. Possibly a spare mould lingering in Derby then. At least it's slowly on the way back...

Perhaps they want it to match the other end of the unit? The area of grey primer roun the lights suggests it has been modified to its current condition?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Not just to match the other end, but to match the rest of the fleet?

lev441

Possibly either rust or glue.

In a way, I'm a little surprised they didn't take the chance to replace the light clusters with the better looking later and more simpler version, rather than sticking to the original 3 light versions that have a tendency of 'fogging' up. Possibly a spare mould lingering in Derby then. At least it's slowly on the way back!

I wonder though how long the repairs would have taken if the front was made of Alu like Siemens / TPEs 185s than Bombardiers Fiberglass and metal framework.

As a side note, hehe, anyone spot the ex Thameslink moquette covering the coupling bar.

Noticed that ex Thameslink moquette straight away...!!!

sprinterguy

Established Member
Not just to match the other end, but to match the rest of the fleet?
Well, the other members of the 168/1 (and 168/3) sub-fleet. The 168/0s and 168/2s both have different designs of cab end - the 168/2s being fitted with the later design two piece headlight clusters.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Excellent stuff, thanks! Sorry for the late reply - it only just occurred to me to look!

Status
Not open for further replies.