• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trent Barton Press Statement after Passenger Raped after being kicked off Bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthony263

Established Member
I do feel sorry for the driver in this case and I do hope his bosses will stick with him and if he had waited there for the potential for inccident with the other passengers onboard if the drunks started kicking off.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mbonwick

Established Member
According to the BBC, the 'girl' was 22 and had been to a 'Christmas Celebration.'

Not trying to defend the driver, but I wouldn't be surprised if she was at least mildly drunk...

tbtc

Veteran Member
According to the BBC, the 'girl' was 22 and had been to a 'Christmas Celebration.'

Not trying to defend the driver, but I wouldn't be surprised if she was at least mildly drunk...

I hate the use of the word "girl" in these kind of articles - we are talking about an adult (not a bus driver leaving a twelve year old to get molested).

SS4

Established Member
People seem to be regarded as children if they are under 30 these days!!!

Only females though. Young men are described as young men and are a terror upon the population as has never been seen before. Or that's what the news would have you believe :roll:

Batman

I hate the use of the word "girl" in these kind of articles - we are talking about an adult (not a bus driver leaving a twelve year old to get molested).

I've worked in youth services before and in today's world, the words 'girl' or 'boy' or 'lad' or anything similar could in certain circumstances be used to describe anyone under 25. The term 'young adult' is more politically correct. But since when has the Daily Mail ever been a fan of political correctness?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Only females though. Young men are described as young men and are a terror upon the population as has never been seen before. Or that's what the news would have you believe :roll:

True, I doubt the Mail would refer to a 22 year old boy.

tbtc

Veteran Member
I've worked in youth services before and in today's world, the words 'girl' or 'boy' or 'lad' or anything similar could in certain circumstances be used to describe anyone under 25. The term 'young adult' is more politically correct. But since when has the Daily Mail ever been a fan of political correctness?

Sadly this is true.

Changing the article to suggest that she was an adult (and therefore could have been expected to have a cash card/ have friends with her/ have a mobile etc) changes the tone from "girl" too much to suit their agenda I guess.

Much easier to blame the nasty bus driver for letting a young girl come into this kind of trouble (rather than telling a more complicated story). Pathetic.

Batman

Sadly this is true.

Changing the article to suggest that she was an adult (and therefore could have been expected to have a cash card/ have friends with her/ have a mobile etc) changes the tone from "girl" too much to suit their agenda I guess.

Much easier to blame the nasty bus driver for letting a young girl come into this kind of trouble (rather than telling a more complicated story). Pathetic.

It's all part of the Mail's plan to get us to believe that we live in a more dangerous society than we actually do. That's why I stopped reading it years ago. My Dad still reads it, but I still believe it's only good enough to be used as toilet paper.

Badger

Since it's been said "why didn't the other passengers put forward the cash", I can't speak for everyone on the bus, but I wouldn't have given her 20p because I don't carry change with me any more. Everything is paid for with a card, or a bus pass, or train tickets; sure I carry a 20 in my wallet for emergencies but that's not exactly breakable. (I say this politely when anyone asks me for spare change but they never believe it, names/spit usually follows)

Schnellzug

Established Member
Since it's been said "why didn't the other passengers put forward the cash", I can't speak for everyone on the bus, but I wouldn't have given her 20p because I don't carry change with me any more. Everything is paid for with a card, or a bus pass, or train tickets; sure I carry a 20 in my wallet for emergencies but that's not exactly breakable. (I say this politely when anyone asks me for spare change but they never believe it, names/spit usually follows)

Really? You pay for a packet of Crisps or a paper or a pasty or anything with a card?

Badger

I don't tend to buy things like that. Maybe it's just me. Just with the advent of self service machines, bus passes, and other things there's not much call for change any more. Especially not spare (unintentional) change.

Oswyntail

Established Member
I don't understand how jobsworth gained its negative connotations, surely all it means is that the rules are enforced by the letter of the book (which means fairly)....
It always was negative - "It's more than my job's worth to let you do that", meaning that flexibility and discretion are never used. And if you believe that the letter of the rulebook is inevitably fair.....well, you have obviously never read a rulebook ;)
I realise this point of view might not be popular, but the fact that this young lady was on her own and possibly drunk, certainly distressed, and it was very late does make her "vulnerable", and invites discretion from the driver. But my heart goes out to the driver, who will probably be paying in remorse for his mistake.

tbone

How long until somebody suggests that the reason it's trent barton's fault is because Pronto doesn't accept mango, and had she been able to use Mango she could have gone into a negative balance

Jordeh

How long until somebody suggests that the reason it's trent barton's fault is because Pronto doesn't accept mango, and had she been able to use Mango she could have gone into a negative balance
Isn't that down to Stagecoach (The service is jointly run or something? Never quite understood). Hardly relevant though.

Batman

I don't know the area, but what kind of bus fare is £5? Surely that's not a single trip?

That's believable for a night bus, it's a selective market.

Although I'd be amazed if the service wasn't subsidised by Nottinghamshire CC to keep the fairs down.

But Nottinghamshire is a tory county now and councils aren't too keep on subsidising bus services anymore.

I can be my bottom dollar that £5 would be cheaper than booking a taxi in the small hours.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
But then again, I thought night buses were a thing of the past now outside Greater London.

In the West Midlands, the 900 (Birmingham-Coventry) and the 966 (Erdington-Solihull) used to both run at hourly frequencies throughout the night so that there were still some buses serving the airport 24 hours a day, but these were withdrawn in about 2005, probably because of lack of use.

455driver

Veteran Member
Facts of this case-
1/ the woman was out alone at 3AM, where had she been, church?,
2/ she did not have enough money for the bus fare, why not?,
3/ the driver is under no obligation to carry someone that cannot pay the fare.
4/ no other passenger offered to pay the 20p, why not?

Other possible scenarios-
A/ Did she explain why she didnt have the money,
B/ did she play the "I am a lone female and you must help me" card,
C/ did she get stroppy when the driver failed to acquiesce to her request?

Oh I was a bus driver for nearly 20 years and have heard all the excuses going about why the passenger didnt have the right/ any money for the fare and have every sympathy with the bus driver and some for the woman, what was she doing out at 3AM again, I have forgotten?
Thank you Heinz 57 for posting "the other side" to this story, makes things much much clearer. I look forward to the apology in the Daily Fail, oh wait a minute they never do apologise for lying do they after all its all about selling newspapers at all costs isnt it.

Heinz57

Thank you Heinz 57 for posting "the other side" to this story, makes things much much clearer. I look forward to the apology in the Daily Fail, oh wait a minute they never do apologise for lying do they after all its all about selling newspapers at all costs isnt it.

No probs.

Yeah it is good to see both sides of the story. The unfortinate thing is, there are a lot of people around the area who won't see the other side. They'll only see what the media says. It will give the trent barton a bad image for something that isn't there fault.

I was also told that the other day, some camera crews turned up at Langley Mill wanting an interview. They didn't get one, so the news went on as saying that Trent Barton refused to comment. No, it isn't that, the news turned up un-announced demanding an interview, the managers at Trent are busy and didn't have time. Should they have rang up earlyer and asked for one, then they probably would have got it.

SS4

Established Member
No probs.

Yeah it is good to see both sides of the story. The unfortinate thing is, there are a lot of people around the area who won't see the other side. They'll only see what the media says. It will give the trent barton a bad image for something that isn't there fault.

I was also told that the other day, some camera crews turned up at Langley Mill wanting an interview. They didn't get one, so the news went on as saying that Trent Barton refused to comment. No, it isn't that, the news turned up un-announced demanding an interview, the managers at Trent are busy and didn't have time. Should they have rang up earlyer and asked for one, then they probably would have got it.

That's despicable behaviour yet entirely unsurprising.
IMO we really need to bring in laws to ensure the accuracy of the media

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I've also subsequently heard a similar version of events to that shared by Heinz57. It sounds very plausible to me - still a horrible set of circumstances for those involved, but not the drivers fault by any means.

Compared to most operators, TrentBarton are fairly media savvy and I'm sure they'll weather the storm. Most people who are currently 'outraged' following the media coverage will have found something new to be outraged by next week.

jon0844

Veteran Member

If she had missed the bus, then what?

If she had been allowed on and there was a rapist out, it could have ended up being someone else.

The problem was the criminal that committed the crime, and it's ridiculous to imply it was in any way the fault of the driver. Not unless it was well known that there was a rapist on the loose, with warnings having been given out by the police to not go out on your own.

What if the rapist was known to the police? Is it now their fault? Or the fault of his parents... where would it end?

gordonthemoron

Established Member
it has to be said that this is a very BIG public relations disaster for Trent Barton who always play on their customer freindly approach

SS4

Established Member
And like most PR disasters it's totally unjustified. The power the news media has is frightening :|

EM2

Established Member
The one thing that I can't understand is, once the girl has rung her Mum to come and get her, why the mother suggested she started walking. I know Nottingham reasonably well, and you wouldn't catch me walking past the Forest at that time.
It would surely have been safer to stay in the City Centre, where there are more people and the security of street lighting and CCTV.

WestCoast

Established Member
it has to be said that this is a very BIG public relations disaster for Trent Barton who always play on their customer freindly approach

In a way I kind of feel a bit of sympathy for them with the facebook mob on their customer information page, which most bus companies don't have at all!
And like most PR disasters it's totally unjustified. The power the news media has is frightening :|

Indeed, I noticed yesterday that one popular news outlet had "blah blah bus rape" on 'most popular stories', how outrageously misleading was that, the victim wasn't raped on or near the bus! Too many people take what the news tells them at face value...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.