• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trespass incident at Manchester Piccadilly (11/03)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PR1Berske

Established Member
Very peculiar choice of protest location for a very specific target! Why block the tracks on a Sunday?

theironroad

Established Member
Some people on here live in fantasy land if they really believe what they write.

Network rail would be fined £millions by the courts is they knowingly left the juice on &/or trains running with this many people on the tracks.

People on Twitter saying what's turkey got to do with Manchester Piccadilly and the railway.

Don't they think that the fact they're commenting on it and it's made national news is the point the protesters wanted to make. getting publicity... Not much point having a protest in a sealed room.

hawk1911

Big crowds, waiting for buses, at both Stockport and Stalybridge.

Now, if there was only some way of getting between the two by train.

js1000

It's remarkably selfish from these "protesters" considering what happened at Piccadilly recently when a man jumped onto the OHLE from the overbridge and was electrocuted to death. The blackened smears from the incident are still on the overbridge. Feel sorry for the station staff and emergency services for having to deal with these idiots who clearly have no regard for their own or others' safety.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Well from what I could see in the video in the MEN website, one of the banners says 'Free Ocalan' (or thereabouts) which I guess is in reference to the continued detainment of Abdullah Ocalan', leader of the Kurdish separatist group in Turkey

If I was in Manchester right now I might nip down the station to claim a Free Ocalari, whatever one of those is.

Crossover

Established Member
I’m not one to normally suggest such things, but a shotgun would undoubtedly eradicate the problem (not a serious suggestion)

Some folk do some utterly daft things, but this must be up there with the daftest!

aylesbury

Noted they even brought children in push chairs to this ridiculous protest where are the police when you need them hope leaders and as many of them are in court soon and face big fines.

northernchris

Established Member
There's pictures on Twitter of children on the tracks too. Not only are they too young to understand what the protest is about this could lead to them thinking trespass is OK. Some people shouldn't be allowed to be parents

Jonny

Established Member
What concerns me the most is the way the protesters (wrongly) seem to think that it is OK to ask countries to drag themselves into other countries' affairs.

Noted they even brought children in push chairs to this ridiculous protest where are the police when you need them hope leaders and as many of them are in court soon and face big fines.

... or even imprisonment. With consideration to forfeiture of asylum etc....

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
In such situations the power goes off for two reasons:

1) for the safety of those climbing the gantries / waving the banners
2) to prevent the inevitable much longer shut down required if someone was killed in the middle of a busy station.

Signal Head

I’m not one to normally suggest such things, but a shotgun would undoubtedly eradicate the problem (not a serious suggestion)

Bit harsh. Tranquilliser guns perhaps, then you can just remove the recumbent loons, wait for them to come round, and arrest.

Bayum

Established Member
Jesus Mary and Joseph.

It really worries me that people would even consider 'keeping the juice on', or 'letting trains come and go', you may say 'Not a serious post', but you still said it and had it at the forefront of your mind...

Do people not remember Tiananmen Square, 1989?

philthetube

Established Member
Network rail should Try to get every penny back in the courts, it will cost them a fortune and even if they dont gain out or it it will put the frighteners on others thinking about similar action.

Crossover

Established Member
Jesus Mary and Joseph.

It really worries me that people would even consider 'keeping the juice on', or 'letting trains come and go', you may say 'Not a serious post', but you still said it and had it at the forefront of your mind...

Do people not remember Tiananmen Square, 1989?

No idea. It’s not the sort of thing I say but on this occasion I have zero sympathy. Quite what they expect to achieve from it (apart from potential injury) I’m not quite sure

Am on the scene currently. All the protestors have dispersed (left at c.1520) and BTP/TOC staff are currently checking around trains in the station and looking underneath in case anyone is still there. There were about 20 BTP/GMP officers here, shepherding the protestors off the station rather tan anything more severe. Possibly some services after 1615 but I am imagine the priority will be getting those trapped on trains on the approaches from Stockport and Stalybridge into MCP. Maybe the protestors already knew this but Victoria is shut today so the UK's 2nd city is temporarily cut off from the rail network (I'm not counting Metrolink in this)!! Clearly the operational recovery of much of the network of the NW will be a massive job, so it's probably best everyone sits back and let the rail operational staff get on with it and save the post-incident review to tomorrow!

Bayum

Established Member
No idea. It’s not the sort of thing I say but on this occasion I have zero sympathy. Quite what they expect to achieve from it (apart from potential injury) I’m not quite sure

So even though they are exercising their right to free speech, albeit on the railway, your reckoning is still 'Zero sympathy, no f***s given, let them, toast'?

Established Member
(At the risk of taking the thread elsewhere...)

Did anyone detrain from a stranded train?

I've been massively affected by this, I'm currently travelling from Newton le Willows to Liverpool via Chester, nearly an hour later than intended-and with a journey time 3 times longer than normal.

Ok-I appreciate BTP/Greater Manchester Police may not have the resources to arrest them all-but I'd like to hope at least some have been arrested. Have they? Pictures I've seen just seem to show BTP stood on the tracks facilitating it... (though I suppose they'll be keeping them within the confines of the station by doing so)

I'm all for peaceful protests within the confines of the law, but one that involves trespassing and wilfull obstruction of the railway/motorway/anywhere where pedestrians shouldn't be? No chance. That's crossed a line. (Sorry:D)

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Clearly, entering an active railway is a very dangerous and stupid thing to do. It is also exceptionally disruptive.

Sadly, an awful lot of change happens only after someone makes a disruptive and/or dangerous protest.

People suggesting that the protestors target an embassy instead miss the point.

Established Member
(At the risk of taking the thread elsewhere...)

Did anyone detrain from a stranded train?

I've been massively affected by this, I'm currently travelling from Newton le Willows to Liverpool via Chester, nearly an hour later than intended-and with a journey time 3 times longer than normal.

Ok-I appreciate BTP/Greater Manchester Police may not have the resources to arrest them all-but I'd like to hope at least some have been arrested. Have they? Pictures I've seen just seem to show BTP stood on the tracks facilitating it... (though I suppose they'll be keeping them within the confines of the station by doing so)

I'm all for peaceful protests within the confines of the law, but one that involves trespassing and wilfull obstruction of the railway/motorway/anywhere where pedestrians shouldn't be? No chance. That's crossed a line. (Sorry:D)

I doubt it, BTP couldn't catch a cold.

Iskra

Established Member
So even though they are exercising their right to free speech, albeit on the railway, your reckoning is still 'Zero sympathy, no f***s given, let them, toast'?

And what about the rights of all the people stuck on the trains, or those unable to travel, do they not matter?

Bayum

Established Member
And what about the rights of all the people stuck on the trains, or those unable to travel, do they not matter?

So you think it's OK for someone to be killed if someone else suffers disruption due to protests?

Jonny

Established Member

That is why these so-called protesters deserve everything they get and more. The railways are not public thoroughfares in the same way that roads etc. are.

Also, it is comparable to a secondary strike - damaging innocent parties.

Dentonian

Established Member
What concerns me the most is the way the protesters (wrongly) seem to think that it is OK to ask countries to drag themselves into other countries' affairs.

... or even imprisonment. With consideration to forfeiture of asylum etc....

Without commenting on the tactics, I respectfully suggest that you research the issue a little bit. Your comment of "other countries' affairs is ignorant and bearing in mind Piccadilly Station is less than a mile from Manchester Arena, you are also showing insensitivity.

Iskra

Established Member
So you think it's OK for someone to be killed if someone else suffers disruption due to protests?

I've not said anything like that.

I think they should protest in a manner that is safe and doesn't adversely affect other citizens going about their daily business.

Status
Not open for further replies.