• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trespass incident at Manchester Piccadilly (11/03)

Status
Not open for further replies.

All Line Rover

Established Member
if any laws are actually broken. Whilst they clearly were at Piccadilly that isn't necessarily the case at KX.

Or are [people] suggesting that anyone carrying a placard at Kings Cross be detained just in case?

Is the square outside Kings Cross private property, like the station?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jonfun

Established Member
As a country, we persist in treating Turkey as an ally when it suits us. The more disgraceful ends of our political class even like to pretend that they support Turkey entering the EU, mostly in an attempt to stir up anti-EU feeling admittedly, but it's all playing up to Erdogan and his oppressive regime. You may not personally take an interest in it, but it absolutely has to do with the country they are protesting in.

Cool. I'm afraid I still have no interest in it. I firmly believe we should leave other countries to it, if they want to knock seven bells out of each other, go for it.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Clearly at Piccadilly indeed. This picture beggars belief.

DYBsy5NXUAAReFi.jpg
That is shocking! Whilst I agree with the protesters' cause, and even accept that causing a degree of disruption is both acceptable and necessary in order to bring about change, an image like that one is only going to harm the cause.

B&I

Established Member
I think they would, apart from the fact that Erdogan has removed some of the safeguards protecting Turkey's secular constitution... and Islam generally isn't popular on the British right!

I'm not sure the exact political nuances would get in the way of the 'he'd send in the army' approach of some on here.

takno

Established Member
Cool. I'm afraid I still have no interest in it. I firmly believe we should leave other countries to it, if they want to knock seven bells out of each other, go for it.
That's fine, but we *haven't* left other countries to it and plenty of people in this country don't agree with you, so your lack of interest isn't really a basis for whether or not to allow protests.

I don't approve of the form the protest has taken today, but there is absolutely no reason for the protest not to be allowed at all.

mpthomson

Just to put a different slant on the discussion I would say there is a real failure on the part of our intelligence services here. There was a similar protest a while back at Heathrow when Kurdish groups held an invading protest at one of Heathrow's terminal check-in areas. The fact that a fly-on-the-wall documentary series was being filmed at the time was likely no co-incidence. The Piccadilly protest was clearly organised. Given that oppressed groups resident here are bound to attract the attention of their oppressors our intelligence services should certainly be seeking to closely monitor them and possibly infiltrate them.

And FTR I broadly support the Kurds to the extent I would not be averse to outside military support for their struggle. Upsetting any one or more of Turkey, Syria, Iraq and Iran is not something I would have the least qualms about.

Of all the groups that are likely to cause an issue in the UK, the Kurds are way down the list, they’re generally hugely supportive of the UK and grateful that they’ve been allowed to settle here. DIS/SIS would have very little interest in this at all, they’ve enough on dealing with groups who are hostile to the UK.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Is the square outside Kings Cross private property, like the station?

Yes, as chuggers* and Jehovas Witnesses are always made to be outside the square on the pavement.

* That is when they aren't paying Network Rail to work on the concourse and ask busy commuters if they have a few spare minutes...

mpthomson

Whatever your view this was a serious security breach. And there is no excuse for these protesters to block our railway. The Turkish embassy..yes...but not the railway. It could give terrorists ideas. That is not a thought I want to even entertain but it is a possibility.

There should be a public inquiry!

It’s not a security breach at all, stations are open access generally and there’s a legal right of protest in the UK, note not to break the law, but that’s why the police exist.

A public inquiry would be a staggering waste of money for no benefit.

What ideas is it going to give to terrorists? They don’t generally organise sit ins as a form of action.

jon0844

Veteran Member
When nobody is charged with trespass, I guess this will support those who see no problem jumping off a train and walking the tracks because their train broke down, arguing that the lack of arrests means nobody has a problem with it.

mpthomson

See post 92.

Although, no doubt they don't all hold the same view.

I’m fully aware of the Kurdish situation, if you’ve seen the See It Say It Sorted thread you’ll know why. They’re not left wingers in the way you were trying to imply.

Iskra

Established Member
When nobody is charged with trespass, I guess this will support those who see no problem jumping off a train and walking the tracks because their train broke down, arguing that the lack of arrests means nobody has a problem with it.

BTP 'might do something later on,' they've decided.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-43363588

Supt Mark Cleland, of British Transport Police (BTP), said: "While we appreciate and respect the right to peaceful protest, when this compromises the safety of the public and the protesters themselves, any offenders will attract the full investigative resources of BTP.

"Those involved in this afternoon's incident will be subject to intense investigation with a view to arrest and prosecution.

"We will continue to maintain a police presence at this station and at other stations across the rail network."

Officers were called to reports 100 people were protesting at Piccadilly station shortly after 13:00 GMT.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
BTP and GMP's inaction on the clear breaches of law in this situation, in my opinion, is an indictment on our society.
Indictment? Strong words. What do you know of GMP, what did they do wrong, and what what kind of "action" would you have them take?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Have people above honestly suggested protesters should be run over and / or be electrocuted because they dared to disrupt trains? Honestly? It would be funny if it weren't so sad.

Established Member
I wonder how this action might have affected the attitude of the general public to the cause that they were promoting. I have considerable sympathy for the plight of the Kurds, though I believe intervention by the West would be counter-productive as it was in Iraq. But had I been seriously inconvenienced by this "demonstration" my sympathy would have been significantly reduced.
Quite.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
See post 92.

Although, no doubt they don't all hold the same view.
Though as you're using my slight dig in your defence, I doubt that the PKK were officially involved in this protest because they are a proscribed organisation under English law. I'm not sure why (they pose no threat to the UK) but I suspect it is in part down to Turkey being an ally... which then brings us back to why Kurdish people might feel justified in protesting here.

Jonfun

Established Member
Indictment? Strong words. What do you know of GMP, what did they do wrong, and what what kind of "action" would you have them take?

The protestors should, in my opinion, have been given suitable warning to leave of their own accord and if they failed to do so, have been forcibly removed. As soon as five or ten are taken away in handcuffs the vast majority will soon clock on that they need to start making tracks.

Jonfun

Established Member
That's fine, but we *haven't* left other countries to it and plenty of people in this country don't agree with you, so your lack of interest isn't really a basis for whether or not to allow protests.

I don't approve of the form the protest has taken today, but there is absolutely no reason for the protest not to be allowed at all.

I've said I support the right for anyone to protest on whatever cause they feel fit to do so for. What I disagree with is using kids to block railway lines with, if consenting adults wish to do using themselves then that's their own problem.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The protestors should, in my opinion, have been given suitable warning to leave of their own accord and if they failed to do so, have been forcibly removed. As soon as five or ten are taken away in handcuffs the vast majority will soon clock on that they need to start making tracks.
... or result in a riot.

Status
Not open for further replies.