• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trespasser dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/beds/bucks/herts/4355480.stm
A 15-year-old boy has died after being hit by a train.

British Transport Police said initial reports indicated the teenager had died as a result of a "tragic accident" following youths trespassing.

Emergency services were called to the tracks near Bakers Hill, Hadley Wood, Hertfordshire, after reports a London to Peterborough train had hit someone.

Police said the death was not suspicious but highlighted the dangers of trespassing on the railway.

A police statement said the teenager from the Barnet area was pronounced dead at the scene on Tuesday evening and the coroner's officer had been informed.
Line speed at Hadley Wood is 110mph, not a good idea to go on the tracks . :(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

But im afraid people do go on the tracks, something which will never be stopped, no matter what you do. All you can do is aware them of the dangers and of course the consequencues

Jim

Established Member
I shouldn't say this but:

Good. It serves him right & I bet his friends won't do it again

Met Driver

Established Member
Jim said:
Good. It serves him right & I bet his friends won't do it again

It serves him right, but I doubt it'll stop his 'friends' from pratting about. My thoughts are with the driver.

Jim

Established Member
Same here. (uses bad language now) The fu*king ba$tards don't give a to$$ about the Driver see. It is an area of mystry to the gi*s that do this :cry: At the end of the day, I can bet you that driver won't drive again :cry:

richa2002

Established Member
God I'm sick of chavs. They say they're bored. Get a hobby! The media though seem to portray having a hobbie is sad...........

Julian G

Established Member
was that a cl365 that hit the boy, it may have been 100mph hitting him :shock: :shock: :shock:

Met Driver

Established Member
1288gaje said:
was that a cl365 that hit the boy, it may have been 100mph hitting him :shock: :shock: :shock:

As yorkie said, the linespeed in that area is 110, so it could potentially have been more depending on what train it was.

jd

Sadly some kids never will listen to warnings, they always want to 'show off' to their mates, some people seem to think it's cool to risk killing yourself. This guy wasn't quick enough to get out of the way.

His mates will be back there next week, showing off on the tracks.

Met Driver

Established Member
jd said:
Sadly some kids never will listen to warnings...

Too right! Some of the pillocks at my school who routinely trespass on LUL metals thought it was hilarious when I told them about the dangers of walking on the juice rails (something which they like to show off about). I do wonder if they'll ever learn the errors of their ways.

You can bet your life that those turds at Hadley Wood will be back in no time. It wouldn't surprise me if they tride to launch some kind of 'revenge' attack against another train.

Jordy

Established Member
This is a sad, not about the boy, but the driver, that must be the worst experiance a driver can go through, and I agree with Jim, I bet he won't drive again.

Seth said:
Too right! Some of the pillocks at my school who routinely trespass LUL metals thought it was hilarious when I told them about the dangers of walking on the juice rails (something which they like to show off about). I do wonder if they'll ever learn the errors of their ways.

More plain stupid behaviour :roll:

jd said:
Sadly some kids never will listen to warnings, they always want to 'show off' to their mates, some people seem to think it's cool to risk killing yourself. This guy wasn't quick enough to get out of the way.

His mates will be back there next week, showing off on the tracks.

Too right, and then one by one they will dissapear

Thoughts to the driver etc

Jordy

Beaker

Established Member
we have this at school railway people standing on tracks mucking around as The nice bloke i am i try my very hardest to speed up :shock:

jonb

Established Member
This seems to be a major problem with our Railways today kids are drawn towards the Railway infrastructure and seem to think its funny to vandalise trains which cause delays for everyone else.

AJP

I was once at Preston Pans (ECML) and these two lads ran across the track. Moments later I hear a loud horn and a 66 on a mgr went passed. Absoloute morons. <(

Nick

jonb said:
This seems to be a major problem with our Railways today kids are drawn towards the Railway infrastructure and seem to think its funny to vandalise trains which cause delays for everyone else.

Agreed, I think it's because in your car it's your own...your family own it and you never tend to see vandalised cars (apart from keying of course). But with trains since no-one they think really owns them they think they can vandalise it and every in the country will see their tag. Theres all the problem that one conductor is left to try and tell say a group of 10 violent youths-there not really threatend so they continue...

metrocammel

Yes I cannot feel any sympathy for the tw*ts who trespass on the railway. They are just as foolish doing that at as they would if they were doing crack, and yes, it is the driver of the train who suffers worst here.
As for abusive ars*holes on the train, the Northern guard I know once had a group of 5 chav's on his train, it's elementary to say none had tickets, it was a quite busy commuter train, so when the train arrived at Gorton, he went to his compartment, and made an announcement that there are a group of teenagers who are refusing to buy tickets, and the train will not go anywhere until they leave or purchase some. Within a couple of minutes a guy anxious to get home, grabbed two of them and threw them off, with the other 3 swifty jumping off with them. The train arrived in Rose Hill on time as well! Obviously it would be an "offence" if the guard had touched them, so that is the only way!!! And it was quite funny how people dont want these tw@ts around.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Actually it's not. Any person can use reasonable force to detain someone who they believe is about to commit, is in the act of committing or has committed an indictable offence, plus there is the extra power of railway staff to arrest people who refuse to pay their fares & who refuse to give & name and address.

TheSlash

Established Member
When a former colleague painted some graffiti artists, the police didn't see it as reasonable force 8)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Mojo said:
Actually it's not. Any person can use reasonable force to detain someone who they believe is about to commit, is in the act of committing or has committed an indictable offence, plus there is the extra power of railway staff to arrest people who refuse to pay their fares & who refuse to give & name and address.
But you have to be extremely careful, and put yourself in danger. There's no way I'd do that with 5 of them!

Another alternative is to have BTP waiting for them, depending on location. I've experienced this a few times, on Silverlink, TPE, GNER.

What annoyed me recently was that the train was made to wait for one troublemaker who verbally abused a guard, which I think sent out totally the wrong message. Fortunately common sense prevailed in the end and after 10 minutes the train left without him <D

TheSlash

Established Member
All that report says is he was lineside. So why has everybody jumped on the band wagon about serves him right?
Portsmouth is a city split in 2 by something called Hilsea Creek. This small stretch of water seperates the main part of the city from mainland England.
Trains access the island of Portsea through a bridge at the north east end of the city.
In recent years, local kids found this bridge to be a great diving platform in the summer.
One year, a dripping wet kid walked across the lines to get to the other side of the bridge. Unfortunatly part of his body {bare skin bar swimming costume} touched the 3rd rail. An approaching train stopped short of him and the driver immediatly isolated the 3rd rail, called for help then began emergency first aid. This kept the kid alive long enough for paramedics to get to the scene, who rush him to a near by hospital where he died a few days later.
This kid had been living in Portsmouth less than a week and had moved to our city from a part of the country that doesn't have a railway, so he had no idea of the danger of tresspassing on the railway.

That was reported in our local newspaper but didn't even register with the national news. So for the BBC to do a 2 or 3 paragraph story about a 15 year old boy being killed on the ECML in North London {note it doesn't say he was run over} think about all the informatiion thats been left out....
Had the boy in question been warned about the dangers of tresspassing on the railway?
I see the usual suspects have jumped straight in saying he fully deserved etc.
Until you've been and until you know the full facts, basically the shut the **** up

jd

I think perhaps it's a bit far to say he "deserved" to die, but it is kind of basic common sense that would keep most people off the railways with or without being told about them. "Oh, a train's just gone past, really really fast. But it must be okay to go on the tracks."

Also, don't forget the parents. IMO, just as responsible parents teach their kids how to safely cross the road, not to talk to strangers etc, they should tell their kids not to play on the railway, especially if they live near one where it's relatively easy to access the tracks.

Basically, I think not going on the railways is common sense more than something you are taught. Some kids think they are invincible, or just think it looks 'cool' to wander on the tracks.

I think some of the things that have been said on here are quite disgraceful. No one deserves to die especially a child. Think of his family, a young life just taken away out of their hands. Put yourself in a fathers or mothers postion. How would you feel if that was your son? Like i said before you will never be able to stop them, only make them aware of the dangers and of course the consequencies

Met Driver

Established Member
Frankly I blame the child for causing his parents to go through the trauma of having such a loss. If the idiot wasn't pratting about in the four-foot then he wouldn't have been hit by the train. Simple.

Craig

Established Member
Seth said:
Frankly I blame the child for causing his parents to go through the trauma of having such a loss. If the idiot wasn't pratting about in the four-foot then he wouldn't have been hit by the train. Simple.
Not all kids have the benefit of knowing about the railways (wow, I'm agreeing with Slash <D) and how they work (i.e. how long it takes for a train to stop) or bother to think about the potential consiquences of their actions.

Admittedly what was doing was wrong, but to say that he deserved to die for doing something stupid is ridiculous. You're trying to say that you've never ever done something even slightly dangerous that you shouldn't have (not necessarily trespassing on the railway)?

richa2002

Established Member
Just shows how stupid chavs are really. The excuse that they don't understand how a train works is the sort of thing you'd say to a 6 year old.

Met Driver

Established Member
Richard Armstrong said:
Just shows how stupid chavs are really. The excuse that they don't understand how a train works is the sort of thing you'd say to a 6 year old.

Exactly. I'm sure the majority of people have the common sense to realise that XXX tonnes of metal travelling at high speed is going to take a long time to stop. :roll:

TheSlash

Established Member
Again, where does it say he was in the four foot?
Alot of you lot have brothers and/or sisters, if one of them died on the railway lines because they were doing something they shouldnt of done, would you still blame your parents and post the same remarks?

Met Driver

Established Member
TheSlash said:

OK, I'll rephrase what I said:

I said:
If the idiot wasn't pratting about in the six-foot then he wouldn't have been hit by the train. Simple.

TheSlash said:
Alot of you lot have brothers and/or sisters, if one of them died on the railway lines because they were doing something they shouldnt of done, would you still blame your parents and post the same remarks?

I didn't blame the parents. I blamed the kid who got hit for causing his parents to suffer such a loss.

TheSlash

Established Member
Seth said:
TheSlash said:

OK, I'll rephrase what I said:

I said:
If the idiot wasn't pratting about in the six-foot then he wouldn't have been hit by the train. Simple.

TheSlash said:

I didn't blame the parents. I blamed the kid who got hit for causing his parents to suffer such a loss.
Where does it say he was in the 6 foot? He may of been walking in the Cess, close to the line with his back to traffic, he may of been walking in the Cess, a good distance from the line but been struct by an insecure load {all track workers have to wear hardhats when trackside}.
Basically all it says is a 15 year old lad was killed by tresspassing on the railway and the police are investigating.

Status
Not open for further replies.