• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trespassing at Nottingham

Status
Not open for further replies.

highspeed990

I saw 2 guys run across three tracks to get to the other platform through the middle if Nottingham station. Not what you expect at a city terminus. Surely they must have been caught, is this a common occurence?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Happens all the time. We count at least 10 occurrences on our patch every day.

The only way some of these idiots will learn is one day actually getting run over.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I always thought police are usually called.

IF the police attend, which does not happen in many cases, because it's pointless. In any case by the time they arrive, the perpetrators would have probably made their way off a good while earlier.

At big stations, they may be summoned quicker but at most stations they do not have a presence.

Even if they do, they are not going to prosecute every single occurrence. They don't have the time nor would it be in the public interest to prosecute everyone breaking a law.

highspeed990

IF the police attend, which does not happen in many cases, because it's pointless. In any case by the time they arrive, the perpetrators would have probably made their way off a good while earlier.

At big stations, they may be summoned quicker but at most stations they do not have a presence.

Even if they do, they are not going to prosecute every single occurrence. They don't have the time nor would it be in the public interest to prosecute everyone breaking a law.
And here's me thinking they all get tracked down and punished, all those penalty warning red signs for no reason. And I also thought they had to shut down the line if people were tresspassing for health and safety? I saw it on Paddington 24/7. They even sent a helicopter to find them.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I guess if they just cross the tracks then if they don't get hit at the time there is no more danger. Not the same as a non-specific report of people on the line away from a station where nobody knows where they are afterwards.

Doesn't help that the legitimate walk beween 1C/2/3C, 4/6C and 7C is so much further than cutting across the tracks.

Saint66

And here's me thinking they all get tracked down and punished, all those penalty warning red signs for no reason. And I also thought they had to shut down the line if people were tresspassing for health and safety? I saw it on Paddington 24/7. They even sent a helicopter to find them.

If I remember correctly, the incident on the Paddington show involved individuals already fleeing from local police jumping down onto the railway, thus why there was such a significant police response and why the BTP responded - They'd been asked by the local force as they could not enter the railway themselves.

bILLOO

I’ve seen this happen at Hatfield more than once. They don’t even look before running across the tracks and a high speed train could easily be passing at the time.

SPADTrap

Established Member
I’ve seen this happen at Hatfield more than once. They don’t even look before running across the tracks and a high speed train could easily be passing at the time.

And it's gone wrong there on a few occasions over the years.

skyhigh

Established Member
If it's a busy station and BTP officers are present or witness it, I'd expect it to be dealt with. If a driver spots trespassers trackside, BTP can also be dispatched to attend. Chances are that they've gone before the police arrive though... Usually the next train will be cautioned through and if no-one is seen, normal working resumed.

It's very rare to be called out because station staff have reported someone trespassing as means of a shortcut and CID certainly don't have time to track down everyone who does this.

Status
Not open for further replies.