Triangular journey planner/ticket sales

trebor79

Established Member
Does anyone know if there's an equivalent of Trainsplit that can do triangular journeys?
I want to go Attleborough - Sleaford - Bedford - Attleborough, first two legs on on day and the third leg on the following day. Would prefer flexibility over timing of third leg but can accept fixed times for the first two.
I can do a split via Peterborough for the ATL-SLE leg, but to be useful that requires the BED-ATL leg to be via Peterborough which makes for rather a circuitous (and lengthy in terms of time) route.
I need a journey planner that can do this, but I don't know if there is one?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Established Member
Does anyone know if there's an equivalent of Trainsplit that can do triangular journeys?
I want to go Attleborough - Sleaford - Bedford - Attleborough, first two legs on on day and the third leg on the following day. Would prefer flexibility over timing of third leg but can accept fixed times for the first two.
I can do a split via Peterborough for the ATL-SLE leg, but to be useful that requires the BED-ATL leg to be via Peterborough which makes for rather a circuitous (and lengthy in terms of time) route.
I need a journey planner that can do this, but I don't know if there is one?
Trainsplit allows you to use different via points for outward and return journeys.

Watershed

Established Member
I don't think there are any accredited journey planners or booking engines that offer triangular journeys. Certainly not at the consumer level. It's simply too niche to make any money - and unlike Trainsplit, there isn't a non-split fare you can compare to, to justify a booking fee etc.

Try Trainsplit with varying outward and return via points (using the advanced options), changing your "destination" to see what's cheapest, is probably your best bet.

sonic2009

Established Member
Wouldn't the journey be quicker between Spalding and Bedford using the bus via St Neots and Bedford & Attleborough via Cambridge?

trebor79

Established Member
Wouldn't the journey be quicker between Spalding and Bedford using the bus via St Neots and Bedford & Attleborough via Cambridge?
Oh, hadn't thought about/wasn't aware of the bus option.
Where can I find information on those bus routes please? I know we all decry the NRE website, but at least it's possible to put in a start and end point and get the timetable and fare information. There isn't (AFAIK) a similar national bus enquiries.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

I'd probably go Sleaford -> Nottingham -> Kettering -> Bedford personally. Agree going back that the 905 Stagecoach service to Cambridge would be the best bet (but be aware that it's a 20 minute walk or a connecting local bus to get from central Cambridge to the station).

Oh, hadn't thought about/wasn't aware of the bus option.
Where can I find information on those bus routes please? I know we all decry the NRE website, but at least it's possible to put in a start and end point and get the timetable and fare information. There isn't (AFAIK) a similar national bus enquiries.

Google Maps has an excellent public transit search, which I use for this purpose. For fares information you'd need to refer to the bus operator.

sonic2009

Established Member
The bus number is the 905 and the timetable can be found here.

If going to use the 905 from Bedford for the return get off at the Science Park, the 905 stops here on it's way into central Cambridge and it's a short 10 minute walk to Cambridge North station.

I've also just phoned Stagecoach in Bedford for you, and a single for the bus from St Neots to Bedford is £6.40 and from Bedford to Cambridge is £6.80

Last edited:

Haywain

Established Member
Traveline.info is your friend here, but is rather clunky and doesn't do fares. Otherwise Googlemaps is usually up-to-date.
Google Maps should not be relied on without double checking to another source as, in my experience, it doesn’t keep fully up to date especially in these Covid times.

trebor79

Established Member
Google Maps should not be relied on without double checking to another source as, in my experience, it doesn’t keep fully up to date especially in these Covid times.
Indeed. I always take any info from Google (be it transport or shop opening times) with a pinch of salt, and certainly if setting out on a long journey would double check.

The bus from Bedford to Cambridge would only save half an hour after walking to the station, and wouldn't get me onto an earlier train to Attleborough (1 and hour). It would have been much cheaper than the train, but I've gone with the train option anyway (although as I've types that I'm wondering why I didn't save myself about £35...).

I usually buy split tickets to Sleaford. I've bought split tickets from Bedford to Ely, and assume I can use the return portion of an Attleborough to Sleaford off peak return to complete my journey from Ely to Attleborough, as break of journey is allowed?

Haywain

Established Member
assume I can use the return portion of an Attleborough to Sleaford off peak return to complete my journey from Ely to Attleborough, as break of journey is allowed?
That is perfectly acceptable.