• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tricky Route

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanJeff123

I have to travel from Lancaster to Dumfries one day. The next day i go from Dumfries to Glasgow Central, and then Glasgow Central to Penrith on the same day. I am stuck as to which tickets to buy for this trip!
Could i get away with just buying a Lancaster to Glasgow Central (Anytime Return) ?? Help!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
Which dates do you intend to travel AlanJeff123? Do you have a railcard? Are you eligible for any? How many people travelling?

Welcome to the Forum :)

AlanJeff123

Lancaster to Dumfries - 25th July.
Dumfries to Glasgow Central - 26th July.
Glasgow Central to Penrith - 26th July.

No railcard, but i could purchase one if necessary (16-25). 3 people travelling.

Thanks!

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Or possibly an off peak return from Lancaster Castle [LAN] to Glasgow Central [GLC]?

Depending on when you start your journey you may "have" to stop overnight?

cuccir

Established Member
A Penrith-Glasgow Anytime Return is much better value than one from Lancaster - at £49.50 it is under half the price of one from Lancaster!

This will allow overnight break of journey on your outward trip. On your way up, your train must call at Penrith.

An off-peak day single from Lancaster to Preston Penrith is quite pricey at £15.40. If you know what train you are getting, you could buy an Advance fare for £10.50 each. These are still available on the 09:55 or 19:30. With this ticket you would have to use the booked train, and book by 16:00 today (24th).

A railcard would save you 1/3, so an Anyitme Return Penrith-Glasgow would be £32.65, and an Off-Peak Single would be £10.15. That's £22.2 saved for a £28 railcard that would last you the rest of the year, so you'd start saving with one more journey.

Edit - mistyped Preston instead of Penrith above.

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
Lancaster to Glasgow Cen/Qst Anytime Return will certainly be valid, but may well be more expensive than you need.

AlanJeff123

I think i shall just go for the Lancaster to Glasgow return, i don't particularly want to have to stop off in Penrith on the way up. Thanks for your help.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I think i shall just go for the Lancaster to Glasgow return, i don't particularly want to have to stop off in Penrith on the way up. Thanks for your help.

You don't have to stop off. The train you are on just has to call at Penrith [PNR] and not pass through non stop.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
What time roughly do you intend on travelling from Lancaster?

Status
Not open for further replies.