• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trip to Glasgow

Status
Not open for further replies.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Hello everyone,

I was supposed to be in Glasgow this week but for obvious reasons I've had to postpone.

I forget how extensive Glasgow's railway network is. I'd quite like to incorporate a couple of trips that involve going out by rail and coming back by bus, for example the train out to East Kilbride and then the 6 bus back, or the train out to Clydebank and back on the 60 bus, or vice versa.

Also, as a spotter I do like to get my units in. What station is the best to get all sorts of units in? I'm into passenger rolling stock more than anything, and also like to match up units with what service they're working on. Basically need a through station where I can jot down things whilst looking as if I'm waiting for a train. I was thinking maybe Motherwell or Cambuslang?

Any ideas welcomed, thank you!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'd quite like to incorporate a couple of trips that involve going out by rail and coming back by bus

A good trip is the train to Wemyss Bay and then the bus to Largs then the train again.

Basically need a through station where I can jot down things whilst looking as if I'm waiting for a train.

Hyndland is a good place to get lots of units as its on an island platform and on a very busy two track section.

Last edited:

The_Train

Established Member
I second Hyndland as the perfect place to see plenty of units. It's a simple island platform station that is busier than some of the London stations (slight exaggeration but trains do follow each other through at very regular intervals). I also spent time at Central and Queen Street high levels and as you'd expect, both offered lots of units

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Thanks! I was thinking one of the stations on the Argyle/North Clyde Line. Will give that a shot. Is it worth trying one of the stations that go into the High Levels stations?

433N

Hello everyone,

I was thinking maybe Motherwell or Cambuslang?

I'd go with Cambuslang over Motherwell since (a) you have the via Shotts GLC-EDB traffic and (b) Motherwell station is horrible.

An alternative would be Newton where you would additionally see the half-hourly GLC - NTN services but has the disadvantage that a number of services wang past on the fast lines ; although they are still easily identifiable.

class17

If you fancy something slightly different.

Train to Gourock, ferry to Kilcreggan and bus to Helensburgh.

I did it in the last year or so. It is all valid on the Strathclyde day bus/train/ferry ticket.

Veteran Member
If you fancy something slightly different.

Train to Gourock, ferry to Kilcreggan and bus to Helensburgh.

I did it in the last year or so. It is all valid on the Strathclyde day bus/train/ferry ticket.
I remember going direct from Gourock to Helensburgh, has that gone?

The bus seems to go fairly close to Garelochhead station (I'd opt to do the trip in reverse to save a climb though!)

class17

I remember going direct from Gourock to Helensburgh, has that gone?

The bus seems to go fairly close to Garelochhead station (I'd opt to do the trip in reverse to save a climb though!)

Yes, quite a few years ago, 8 at a guess.

I was going for it one year, and read in a newspaper on the train that it had just stopped running.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
The Gourock/Helensburgh tour looks stunning, but I'm aiming to stay closer to the city to be honest. I might try Wemyss Bay, as the station is known to be one of the prettiest in the country.

NorthWestRover

Established Member
I'm intending to do a trip to Glasgow after lockdown. Mainly for tourism as it's the biggest UK city I know least. My railway memories of the city go back to the early to mid 80s arriving in Central behind an 87, then crossing to Queen Street for 37 haulage up the West Highland Line. I probably managed some 27 bashing at some point too.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
If you're after certain units don't forget RTT now shows (mostly) which units are working a particular service on ScotRail.

Ironically Glasgow was the last trip I did around a month ago. Compared to down in England where things seemed to be winding down, there was a distinct sense of normality over the border!

ValleyLines142

Established Member
If you're after certain units don't forget RTT now shows (mostly) which units are working a particular service on ScotRail.

Ironically Glasgow was the last trip I did around a month ago. Compared to down in England where things seemed to be winding down, there was a distinct sense of normality over the border!

I know, I was thinking this but it's more fun to find the units yourself!

route101

Established Member
I'd go with Cambuslang over Motherwell since (a) you have the via Shotts GLC-EDB traffic and (b) Motherwell station is horrible.

An alternative would be Newton where you would additionally see the half-hourly GLC - NTN services but has the disadvantage that a number of services wang past on the fast lines ; although they are still easily identifiable.

Much freight at Newton?

CM

If planning on getting the bus from Clydebank to the City Centre I'd strongly advise against getting the 60 as it's the longest route back. The 1 series of services is far quicker and very high frequency. The 60 takes the best part of an hour or so to get back into the City from Clydebank and only runs every 20 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.