• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trip to London, Brighton and Birmingham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thewanderer

Established Member
Afternoon folks,

I recently spent a number of days in the UK and have just completed uploading the images to the website. All galleries can be seen at the following link https://thewandererphotos.smugmug.com/International/2016

Friday 13th May:
After arriving into Gatwick Airport it was a quick hop on the train to East Croydon and a short trip on the Croydon Tramlink to Mitcham Jct.

Saturday 14th May:
A varied day today with a morning trip to Tooting Broadway to see a number of former London Transport RT type buses, which were on heritage duties between Tooting Broadway and Southwark to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the withdrawal of the RTW type buses. In the afternoon I visited a couple of locations on the Brighton Mainline to photograph some Class 442 units.

Monday 16th May:
The main event for the day was a visit to the Bluebell Railway. In the afternoon I also visited Caterham and Riddlesdown Viaduct. Like the RPSI trip from Westport to Dublin which set off several lineside fires the Steam Engine on the Bluebell was also setting off its own fires!

Tuesday 17th May:
A day on the Brighton Mainline to photograph some freight trains, Class 442's and Class 700's on test.

Wednesday 18th May:
Wednesday morning started off rather early with a cross London trip from East Croydon to Marylebone to catch the 0841 from there to Birmingham Moor Street which is locomotive hauled by a Class 68.
Once the bag was dropped off at the Hotel in Birmingham it was a trip out to Tyseley to photograph a few trains including another Class 68 hauled service from London.
For the next leg of my trip I met up with Modern Railways Tony Miles who was joining me on the 1255 Birmingham Moor Street to London which I did as far as High Wycombe.
From there I backtracked to Banbury to meet three other Irish enthusiasts who were also visiting the UK and we spent the evening at the Banbury Lane Bridge North of Kings Sutton.
An added bonus in the evening time was seeing the S7 Stock transfer to West Ruislip hauled by a number of Class 20's at Leamington Spa.

Thursday 19th May:
The last day in the UK was a rather simple affair with a circular trip from Birmingham to Nuneaton, up the WCML to Rugeley Trent Valley and then back into Birmingham New Street over the Chase Line which is in the early stages of electrification between Walsall and Rugeley Trent Valley.

Enjoy,
The Wanderer.

Status
Not open for further replies.