• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trip to The Orkneys

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitdiver

Next year my wife and I are planning a trip up to the Orkneys. We have frkiends up there who have invited to visit.
My question is has anybody travelled up to there if so what is the best way. We live in Bedfordshire.
I have already done a bit of research but are looking for any suggestions.
Options so far
Train all the way to Thurso Then Ferry from Scrabster
Fly up to Inverness then train. Again Ferry from Scrabster
Train to Glasgow then fly to Kirkwall
Is there much to do or see in Thurso/ Scrabster as we might have a layover there.
It seems there are a number of permutations.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Elwyn

Scrabster is a small seaport. There’s nothing much there. Thurso is a modest town but again little of interest in it. I wouldn’t recommend lingering in either, unless you have to. Thurso is in Caithness and that whole county is fairly flat and featureless. In my opinion it’s not the most attractive part of Scotland. (However the rail journey from Inverness up to say Altnabreac is impressive. Just the final section is a bit dull).

Unless you especially want to go by train, Bedford to Thurso is a long haul. I’d recommend flying for part of the way. Loganair is the operator for most flights to Orkney (Kirkwall Airport): https://www.loganair.co.uk They fly there from Aberdeen, Inverness, Glasgow & Edinburgh.

Pentland Ferries also cross to Orkney (from Gills Bay near John O’Groats). It takes 1 hour and is quicker than the Northlink ferry from Scrabster. http://www.pentlandferries.co.uk/directions/ (Public transport connections detailed on the website). There is also a seasonal service from John O’Groats which takes 40 minutes: http://www.jogferry.co.uk/Home.aspx.

SUB62

Another option is Northlink from Aberdeen. Some of the Lerwick sailings call in at Kirkwall. I've been a fair few times. I have always been on Pentland Ferries but I take the car. Love the place, if you get the chance visit some of the outer islands. Orkney Ferries do some cheap Sunday trips during the summer.

pitdiver

The initial thought was sleeper to Inverness, day service to Thurso then the ferry from Scrabster. I didn't realise there were other ferry operators. We could fly from Luton to Inverness then connect with Loganair but the Loganair flights are a bit pricey.
As my wife and I both have priv travel facilities the train option would be the best option as far as cost goes.

Elwyn

I used to work in Orkney & in Shetland in the 1990s and the grumble in the islands then was that the cost of a flight from London to Kirkwall would get you 2 weeks in Tenerife, and so put people off visiting. I don’t think that’s changed much.

pitdiver

I used to work in Orkney & in Shetland in the 1990s and the grumble in the islands then was that the cost of a flight from London to Kirkwall would get you 2 weeks in Tenerife, and so put people off visiting. I don’t think that’s changed much.
Just found a fare for next March Luton-Aberdeen, Aberdeen- Kirkwall. £248 each. However a long wait in Aberdeen in both directions Outbound 3h 30m. Inbound 4h 15 m.
Best option as far as time goes.

Last edited:

davetheguard

Established Member
We stayed in Thurso for two nights as part of a tour of Scotland in 2013 before crossing over to Orkney from Scrabster (which is just like a suburb of Thurso).

Not a lot to see in Thurso itself, but we took a bus out past Dunnet Head to the Castle of Mey, which was well worth a visit. There's also John o'Groats of course.

An advantage of arriving at Orkney on the Scrabster ferry is the great views of the cliffs as you approach Stromness.43. Castle of Mey looking north.JPG 63. Island of Hoy.JPG 68. Looking back at Hoy from the Stromness side.JPG

pitdiver

Good morning all, after a lot of thought over the last day or so we have decided to fly all the way. That is from Luton to Aberdeen/Inverness then on to Kirkwall.
This obviously means a change of airline from Easyjet to Loganair. Has anybody had experience good or bad of booking flights through Skyscanners or some similar organisation.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Next year my wife and I are planning a trip up to the Orkneys. We have frkiends up there who have invited to visit.
My question is has anybody travelled up to there if so what is the best way. We live in Bedfordshire.
I have already done a bit of research but are looking for any suggestions.
Options so far
Train all the way to Thurso Then Ferry from Scrabster
Fly up to Inverness then train. Again Ferry from Scrabster
Train to Glasgow then fly to Kirkwall
Is there much to do or see in Thurso/ Scrabster as we might have a layover there.
It seems there are a number of permutations.

Do you drive? Orkeny will be hard without a car. If you are on a pass and not time limited get the sleeper to Inverness, the train to Thurso and the bus to Scrabster and the ferry form there. THe nus semes timed to meet the ferry so there should be no problem. I am unsure if the ferry offers a pass discount.

The boss goes up there fairly regularly for diving Scapa Flow. If she goes for diving she drives to Aberdeen and takes the overnight ferry from there.

We went up at Easter in the camper van ( see my flickr - i will add you some links when i get home) and used both Northlink from Scrabster and Pentland ferries from St Margrets Hope. Pentland is much shorter ( and a fancy catermeran ferry) but can be very rocky due to sea conditions. Something to consider if you are a dodgy sailor. Northlink is a big ferry, with on board facilities and a much better if more expensive route.

There is very little in Scrabster. It is a small port. Thurso has some bigger shops (Tesco etc) but not much to detain you. Could you fly all the way? There are no direct flights form England so that will require a change somewhere and some wasted time hanging about. Personally I find the ferry a much more fun way of getting around but it will take at least a day to get form Bedfordshire to Thurso by rail so can see the attraction of the flight! It will be very expensive though.

An advantage of arriving at Orkney on the Scrabster ferry is the great views of the cliffs as you approach Stromness.

not if you arrive in the dark like we did ;)

pitdiver

Do you drive? Orkeny will be hard without a car. If you are on a pass and not time limited get the sleeper to Inverness, the train to Thurso and the bus to Scrabster and the ferry form there. THe nus semes timed to meet the ferry so there should be no problem. I am unsure if the ferry offers a pass discount.

The boss goes up there fairly regularly for diving Scapa Flow. If she goes for diving she drives to Aberdeen and takes the overnight ferry from there.

We went up at Easter in the camper van ( see my flickr - i will add you some links when i get home) and used both Northlink from Scrabster and Pentland ferries from St Margrets Hope. Pentland is much shorter ( and a fancy catermeran ferry) but can be very rocky due to sea conditions. Something to consider if you are a dodgy sailor. Northlink is a big ferry, with on board facilities and a much better if more expensive route.

There is very little in Scrabster. It is a small port. Thurso has some bigger shops (Tesco etc) but not much to detain you. Could you fly all the way? There are no direct flights form England so that will require a change somewhere and some wasted time hanging about. Personally I find the ferry a much more fun way of getting around but it will take at least a day to get form Bedfordshire to Thurso by rail so can see the attraction of the flight! It will be very expensive though.

not if you arrive in the dark like we did ;)
We can get there in about 5-6 hrs if we fly. At the moment the cost is just under £500 to fly. We will be met by someone who lives on Orkney.

pitdiver

Just to finish off the story. Confirmed bookings on flights.Easyjet Luton- Aberdeen. Loganair Aberdeen-Kirkwall. Depart Luton 1355 Arrive Aberdeen 1520. Depart Aberdeen 1835 Arrive Kirkwall 1925. These are the scheduled fly,ng times but in practice somewhat shorter Ihr sometimes Luton-Aberdeen 35mins Aberdeen-Kirkwall.
I have arranged for car hire for when we get to Kirkwall. As you can see the wait in Aberdeen is considerable.
Will be going when there is practically 24 hrs of daylight so should be be an interesting week.

Status
Not open for further replies.