• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trips by Bus and Coach: Your reports

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I really enjoy reading the interesting accounts of day trips by bus in this thread. I know very little about different types of bus and it’s not really of great interest to me. As long as the bus turns up, it’s reliable and reasonably on time, and not too uncomfortable that’s enough for me. What I do enjoy reading about is the interesting locations people visit and the varied bus routes travelled on. I really enjoy a day out by bus and since taking early retirement is something I try to do one day most weeks. Also when I go away for a holiday in the UK, if I can book a hotel not to far from a station, I travel by train and leave my car at home and then have days out by train and bus from my hotel base. Regional rail rovers and bus tickets are very useful for exploring different areas of the country.

Yesterday I had a really good day out by bus from home.
I drove approximately 12 miles from my home in Nottinghamshire a short drive to park in a nice quiet road in Swanwick near Alfreton in Derbyshire. Knowing locations near a regular bus routes, where I feel it is safe to leave my car all day is important. The bus from my village is only hourly and doesn’t run in the evenings so it is often best to park up somewhere where there is a more regular service for my return home. Also the fact that there are no multi operator tickets in Nottinghamshire means that unless I want to restrict my travel to Trent Barton travel from home can be expensive although I do sometimes park up in a village 3 miles from home where I can use a Stagecoach day ticket.

Driving over the border into Derbyshire enables me to use the very good value Concessionary Derbyshire Wayfarer Ticket which is only £6.70. Very useful for people in their 60’s who haven’t reached the age of 66 to have a bus pass.

The first bus I got was the TrentBarton Comet from Swanwick to Chesterfield. The driver had a bit of trouble finding the Concessionary Wayfarer on his machine but as with most TrentBarton drivers he was very friendly and we had a good chat and a laugh about it. He said he doesn’t sell many Wayfarers of any type but it wasn’t long before he found it. It was a very quick journey through Alfreton and Clay Cross into Chesterfield. Some good views over towards the Peak District and really shows the contrast between the ex mining areas of Derbyshire and the surrounding countryside.

A 20 minute wait in Chesterfield before getting the Hulleys X70 to Bakewell. A bit of a rattly old bus but comfortable enough for a lovely ride into the Peak District. The area around Baslow was quite busy because it was the Chatsworth International Horse Trials. I was intending getting something to eat in Bakewell and then travelling on to Buxton on the Trans Peak an hour or so later. However, I know Bakewell very well and when I saw an earlier Trans Peak bus coming into Bakewell I got on it to Buxton and decided to eat there instead. I had completely forgotten that the Trans Peak didn’t go directly into Buxton up the A6 but enjoyed the diversion round Harper Hill and I got off at Buxton Market Place and walked down the hill into the main town centre. I had a good couple of hours in Buxton, having a nice Thai meal, a walk around the Pavilion Gardens and the town. It’s a good 10 years since I last visited Buxton.

My original plan was to get the Trans Peak back right through to Belper and then travel back to my via Ripley. However, I had a quick change of plan which turned out to be very good. I got on the High Peak 442 bus from Buxton to Ashbourne. I would really recommend this route as it must be one of the most scenic in the Peak District. Although it does cross the border into Staffordshire for a few miles the Derbyshire Wayfarer is valid. Lovely scenery through the upper parts of the Manifold and Dove Valleys with some steep hills and winding narrow country lanes but fantastic views. Passed through the centre of some interesting villages including Harrington and Tissington. All places that I haven’t been to for years. There were about half a dozen people doing the whole route in addition to about the same number who boarded in Buxton with shopping who got off at various villages en route.

On arrival in Ashbourne, a town I know quite well, but always interesting to wander around, I had 40 minutes to get a drink before the TrentBarton Swift to Derby. I was quite surprised how busy this bus was the whole route between Ashbourne and Derby. After running through a few housing estates on the way out of Ashbourne the journey to Derby is quite quick as the Swift sticks to the main A52 but still very pleasant South Derbyshire countryside.

I got off at the stop before Derby Bus Station and crossed the road to get in the waiting TrentBarton 9:1, Derby to Mansfield bus back to my car in Swanwick. This was another very friendly driver who I had seen on that route before. A really nice ending to my day was when I was given a proper Derbyshire goodbye as I got off with the driver saying ‘cheerio duck’!

A really good day out doing a many miles on a big circular route. No real problems buying a Concessionary Derbyshire Wayfarer once the driver found it. Sometimes I buy my Wayfarer at Alfreton Station as there is never any problem there. TrentBarton drivers accepted the ticket all day with no problems. High Peak drivers accepted it with no problems but both looked at my ticket more carefully and looked slightly puzzled on first sight.

I’m off down to Plymouth on Monday for 10 days and so will be trying out the £5 day tickets now available on buses in Cornwall in conjunction with an 8 Days in 15 Devon and Cornwall Rail Rover
Thanks for a really interesting report of your travels around Derbyshire; did it myself just a few weeks ago. You did some of the bits that I didn't have time to do!

Look forward to hearing about some of your future trips!

A meeting with a fellow forum member inspired me to have a cheeky trip in the West Midlands (mainly the Black Country); an area I know reasonably well and, from a time when I wasn't that keen on it (for perhaps other reasons), it's somewhere that I've now embraced and actually enjoy exploring. Sure, it's not as stereotypically attractive or scenic as the Peak District or the Cotswolds, but I've many good memories of bouncing around Lynxes and Metrobuses in the 1990s and I still try to fit in the occasional trip. Hope you enjoy.

Having hidden the car not far from Junction 2 of the M5 at Oldbury and then waited for the next bus to Halesowen where I could buy my extremely good value Network Rider ticket for £4.20. This is a route operated by both NX West Mids and Diamond and an NX Omnilink duly arrived. I went to pay contactless...except to be told that I couldn't pay contactless for a TfWM Network ticket; only the NX ONLY day ticket can be purchased on an NX bus via contactless - ridiculous. I therefore waited for the Diamond bus and about 5 mins later, an e200 smartly wearing the two tone Diamond livery. It was reasonably presented internally too with a few general welcoming notices though not much else. It was a reasonable trip to Halesowen, and a decent load mainly of pensioners as we arrived in bright sunshine in Halesowen, one of the more attractive towns in the area. It's a fairly pleasant little town though clearly suffering the malaise affecting many towns of that type; the bus station is a rather grand affair for a small town (why do PTEs do that?) though the closed info office did seem to reflect the general state of the town's shops!

After a brief explore, I got ready for the next trip which was to Stourbridge on the 9 - the trunk route from Birmingham along the Hagley Road. Unlike the Metrobuses I fondly remember, this is now entrusted to NXWM Platinum e400mmcs. I have to say that these are superbly specified machines with seats that mirror what you'd have in a higher end car. We made our way back out and through the rolling lands on the edge of the conurbation to Stourbridge. I recall the old bus station there, strings of knackered bus shelters perched on a hill. Well, the site is the same but the bus station is a very smart affair. If I had a complaint, it's that TfWM and its predecessors have an absolute hatred of buses reversing and that seems to have precluded a design where bus and train station could be in a single structure. You can see the bus and rail stations here (and no naughty comments please)

1653311056651.png

Still, it's still a very good facility. I didn't hang about and my next bus was also NXWM on the 28 but a contrast to my previous one. Instead of comfortable seats, this small e200 that originated outside NX was fitted with urban 90s. At least they had been recently retrimmed in standard NX moquette and so were a bit better than usual though with some new padding. We scooted back towards Merry Hill though I declined to return to Halesowen. Instead, I got off at Cradley Heath Interchange - a long established and excellent bus and rail facility situated opposite the former Midland Red depot that closed in 1977.

1653311154418.png

My next bus was to take me to the smallest and most basic bus station in the West Midlands (IMHO) with a trip on NXWM's X10 to Gornal Wood. I'd done this years ago on a Sunday afternoon when it was the 137 and discovered Gornal Wood is not a hive of activity then. The X10 was sadly not a Premium vehicle but a modern yet less luxurious (though perfectly enjoyable) standard e400mmc. Unlike the Platinum vehicle, this had not a trace of internal promotion - something that affected all the vehicles I experienced during the day; don't operators like to promote their services on their vehicles? We retraced my steps via Merry Hill (aka Merry Hell - but not sampling the retail delights of this shopping behemoth) and then through Brierley Hill and the West Midlands most massive police station - how much crime is there in Brierley Hill? We then went past the site of the old Midland Red/WMPTE depot in Hartshill that had been used by a car auction firm for many years but was redeveloped some years ago; however, I noted that we continued to lose time, meaning I would miss my intended connection at Gornal Wood for the Diamond 223. Therefore, on arrival, I elected to have lunch. Beans on Toast and a cuppa were enjoyed at the cafe adjacent to the minimalist bus station.

1653311265988.png

1653311362258.png
I had a quick explore of Gornal Wood - not much there but there is a real Darby and Joan club - I thought they were mythical!! Having appraised my options, I decided to have a trip to Wolverhampton and a well turned out NXWM Eclipse duly turned up on time. These are great vehicles and the NXWM ones are nicely specced with the standard moquette. This had very few rattles as we headed on the 17A, initially through some 1970s suburbia, then via the small town of Sedgley, and then some very leafy streets before finally arriving into central Wolverhampton and the massive bus station. All the time, I was captivated by a guy with a salmon pink leather jacket and very obviously jet black dyed hair - a strong look that is almost like a Gary Numan tribute act!

I reached Wolverhampton but had already decided I wasn't hanging about. I left the bus station and went around the corner to the currently out of use tram stop to where the 530 departs from. This is Banga Travel - a firm that I have never travelled on, much to my shame. Well.... what an experience. The vehicle that arrived was a slimline Solo that, like me, is a Somerset emigree. I got on and the youngish driver did not look up from his phone as I showed my ticket - barely an acknowledgment. A number of passengers got on - this was a route that Banga and NXWM used to fight over and it didn't seem to be particularly lucrative. One old guy got on having done his shopping; to say he was unkempt is an understatement. The "system" is clearly failing when a man is frankly wearing rags (and I mean that) and he stank to high heaven though he thankfully soon departed our Solo. The vehicle itself had Urban 90 seats and the padding was threadbare. However, comfort was not a consideration as our pilot aimed (rather than drove) the Solo down the backstreets of Wolverhampton to Bilston. The operation is a throwback to the early 1990s of cheapo operators and Banga exists from that time; it just has never grown up. I had chance to wander around the centre of Bilston.

1653311499983.png

Aside from a nice little rank of 1930s shops, there is nothing of note there. A town blighted by decay. I waited in the bus station for my Diamond 326 to Bloxwich. Last time I travelled on this route, it was a disturbing speeding through the streets of Willenhall. This time, it was more measured. The drivers had a changeover with our new pilot taking great time to use his own sanitiser to disinfect the bus. He didn't have a cloth so used several copies of the Metro as a rag - whilst Diamond have improved and vehicle presentation is better, they still have the capacity to look unprofessional. The Solo was otherwise reasonably presented but again, it had Urban 90 style seats - is the West Midlands a hot spot for these aberrations? We weaved our way through the back roads of the West Midlands, heading via Willenhall to New Invention and then into Bloxwich - a pleasant little spot with a large green area where many bus services call in.

1653314040540.png

It was a quick stop and I got the 32 to Walsall - a jointly operated route under a TfWM partnership, both NXWM and Diamond use Eclipses. I had one from the former. Walsall isn't much to write home about, unless you're into leather....and I'm not. It's a major operational hub for NX West Midlands and I toyed with heading towards Aldridge or Sutton but instead elected to head south along the A34 to Birmingham. This was interesting as the route is being upgraded with bus priority etc for new routes associated with the Commonwealth Games. After my two previous journeys had been afflicted by uncomfortable seats on Solos, it was a return to the NXWM Premium fleet for the fast X51. The real interest is in Birmingham though... the area near Moor Street station has and is being massively redeveloped. Going back to the mid 1990s, it was a bit shabby round there, as was Birmingham in general. Now this area is to be home to HS2 and has accommodated much of the growth in universities with new housing etc.
1653314294641.png
It is a markedly different city and the new broom was also evident with NXWM's new electric deckers on the 6 to Solihull. I'd have fancied a trip on those but time was pressing so I had a trip down the Bristol Road to Selly Oak. This was a standard NXWM e400 and the lack of bus priority on that road was noticeable. I sought to attain a higher spiritual plane on the journey and so I was, by Pebble Mill, at one - there's a joke for the teenagers!!! Having ground our way through the traffic, I got off at Selly Oak and wandered to the storage depot that was the former WMPTE bus depot, and was historically tram sheds. Until 20 years ago, it was used for storing redundant vehicles by West Mids Travel that were hired to operators around the country and it's a fine looking building. It's the only nice building in Selly Oak really which is nothing more than a large road junction TBH.
1653314399874.png
I was getting a short hop on the famed 11C outer circle route and a trip to Bearwood, home to a vibrant main street and a weird little bus station that is served by only a few routes whilst the majority serve the main roads. I took a shot of one of the vehicles on the 11A/11C only for a passenger to step off, and shout across the road; he absolutely flipped. Stuff about privacy and the law and all that - I've attached the photo and can doubtless identify the person....except they were actually on the lower deck. I've seen and heard drivers getting annoyed, and I guess stuff like flashes going off and being photographed at work etc but a passenger?
1653314173606.png

After the excitement of that, this had to be tempered so a trip to West Brom would do the trick. From Bearwood high street, there was a choice of the 49 (a longer route I've done before) or the shorter 48. It was a standard NXWM e400 that made its way through downtown Smethwick and eventually deposited me at West Bromwich bus station - the West Midlands has a lot of bus stations and I had seen most of them. My last bus was to be a Diamond 4H to take me back to my car and it duly arrived - a 16 year old Dart with Urban 90 seats. In fact, Diamond had a varied fleet on the 4s with my earlier e200 being the pick whilst they even had a 17 year old Solo on that trunk route. Anyhow, I'd done really well and the bus arrived and then... a departing driver wasn't being replaced. My only cancellation of the day as the Diamond driver instructed everyone to get the next NX one which then duly arrived - one of the aging Scania Omnilinks that are fast becoming a rare sight around the country. So it was a nice sprint back to the car...and away.

1653314485918.png

Views and observations of the day. There are a lot of small towns that could be quite attractive but they are suffering the blight of neglect and high street decline, like Stourbridge and Halesowen but also places like Sedgley. Places like Oldbury and Willenhall seem even more depressed. The areas buses seem to be doing ok but there's a challenge to get passengers back on buses post covid. Bus priority really needs to be improved and Selly Oak was a clear example. The fleets themselves were generally ok - National Express was quite impressive though their lack of internal promotion (compared to their Platinum fleets) was rather odd. Diamond is improving and the external appearance is better with the repaints. However, overall service is a little less polished than you'd expect from a now substantial group. As for Banga Travel..... well, it's the type of operation that is cited by those hell bent on re-regulation.

Transport for West Midlands (TfWM) is a decent PTE. I'd argue not as good as West Yorkshire (Metro) but definitely better than Greater Manchester or South Yorkshire. Roadside publicity is generally ok (not withstanding vandalism and Covid) and I do like some of their bus infrastructure. However, fewer shiny bus stations and better bus priority might be better. Talking of bus stations, I racked up 10 in a day (without Bearwood).

As I said earlier, it's an area that I didn't really like at one time yet I've learned to appreciate the warmth of the people and the hidden delights of the area; those bits of countryside that suddenly appear around the hills of Dudley or around Wolverhampton. It's an area that I can really recommend

Hope you enjoyed the read and apologies that the photos aren't as good as @RELL6L or @TheSel

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RELL6L

It has been a bit quiet on the nostalgic element of this thread for a while and I won’t be out for at least a month (holiday) so I thought I would dig out a trip from ten years ago today, 25 May 2012. This was a boundary-pushing trip for me, a first visit by bus to The Peak District with a Derbyshire Wayfarer and I remember being excited to be extending my range. Now to go merely as far as the Peak District seems quite pedestrian, albeit the area is still stunningly beautiful.

I drove to Ashbourne, an attractive town decked out in bunting and flags for the Diamond Jubilee, in time to depart at 08.40 on what my record shows as Bowers 442. Bowers is of course now High Peak. I think the bus was a Solo but I don’t make notes of vehicle types so I’m not sure. This is a really great route, which still runs several times a day, through the Peak District to Buxton, including a stretch in Staffordshire. It takes a slightly roundabout route, well away from the direct A515, to visit Hartington and Longnor on the way with a particularly scenic section between Crowdecote and Earl Sterndale. Back in the 1970s and 1980s I don’t think there was any equivalent service and Hartington was virtually unserved, except later by Sunday services sponsored by the council.

I had 45 minutes in Buxton to explore the town for the first time for many years. A wonderful Victorian town centre with the spa and the lovely crescent, recently revitalised as a very plush hotel. From Buxton it was south to Bakewell on what I then recorded as Trent Barton’s Transpeak service, this also now being run by High Peak. This also runs through great Peak scenery, although mostly on major roads with a diversion through Ashford-in-the Water, and I think the bus was a Scania in Transpeak colours.

I have always liked Bakewell and have had cause to visit it on business as well as pleasure and this time I had nearly an hour to explore the nooks and crannies in my own time. On from there on the Hulley 173 to Castleton, still running the same route ten years later at much the same times. After passing Monsal Head I recall that this journey ran via Cressbrook which was extremely rural and narrow, then passing through the delightful larger village of Tideswell before some of the higher areas of the Peak District, finally through Bradwell and Hope to Castleton, all very scenic. I’m not sure I had been to Castleton before and I only had a few minutes here on this occasion but was able to rush around the small village centre and get a feel for it. I have stopped for more time at Castleton and Tideswell since.

In fact the next bus was late as it had been diverted on its inbound journey due to an accident and was to do the same on the way back. This I do recall was a MAN Optare Vecta of Hulleys on the 272 to Sheffield. I would have liked a double decker but at that time only First were running double deckers while Hulleys ran whatever they had and the Vecta was, by then, pretty uncommon. This headed back the same way through Hope and Bradwell before going to Hathersage and Fox House and at this point we had to divert via Owler Bar and then into Sheffield all the way up the Abbeydale Road, an area I was very familiar with from working in the past. We were slightly late arriving at Sheffield but I still had time to nip up to the area round the cathedral briefly before taking my next bus.

This was the Stagecoach X17 to Chesterfield and on to Matlock. At that time I am pretty sure the route was run with Scania/E400 deckers. A reasonably fast run out of Sheffield but it is still on a busy road, time saved by by-passing Dronfield and heading into Chesterfield past the Stagecoach (ex Chesterfield) depot. On this occasion I did not have time to visit Chesterfield but I have done this on other trips since. And so on to Matlock, another town I had not really seen much of before. To be honest I think Matlock is a little dull, there’s not actually much to see apart from the view up to Riber Castle, certainly the ‘bus station’ is nothing special and the town centre and bridge are busy with traffic. After a while I took a Trent Barton 6.1 on to Matlock Bath and spent a bit longer there, much more touristy and attractive alongside the river.

Finally my trip was completed with the 110, then run by T M Travel, back to Ashbourne, through Cromford and past Carsington Water and some rural villages. This route still runs although now also diverts via Wirksworth, a pleasure I left for another time (and a delightful place it is too). I think this was another Solo, getting me back into Ashbourne just before 18.00 for a drive home.

A1 2012-05-25 (6) Ashbourne.JPG
Ashbourne

A2 2012-05-25 (15) Hartington.JPG
Hartington

A3 2012-05-25 (25) Staffordshire Moorlands.JPG
Peak District between Crowdecote and Earl Sterndale

A4 2012-05-25 (42) Buxton crescent.JPG
Buxton

A5 2012-05-25 (70) Bakewell.JPG
Bakewell

A6 2012-05-25 (80) Monsal Head.JPG
Monsal Head

A7 2012-05-25 (102) Castleton.JPG
Castleton

A8 2012-05-25 (108) Peak District near Fox House.JPG
Between Hathersage and Fox House

A9 2012-05-25 (121) Matlock.JPG
Matlock

A10 2012-05-25 (126) Matlock Bath.JPG
Matlock Bath

Thanks for a really interesting report of your travels around Derbyshire; did it myself just a few weeks ago. You did some of the bits that I didn't have time to do!

Look forward to hearing about some of your future trips!

A meeting with a fellow forum member inspired me to have a cheeky trip in the West Midlands (mainly the Black Country); an area I know reasonably well and, from a time when I wasn't that keen on it (for perhaps other reasons), it's somewhere that I've now embraced and actually enjoy exploring. Sure, it's not as stereotypically attractive or scenic as the Peak District or the Cotswolds, but I've many good memories of bouncing around Lynxes and Metrobuses in the 1990s and I still try to fit in the occasional trip. Hope you enjoy.

Having hidden the car not far from Junction 2 of the M5 at Oldbury and then waited for the next bus to Halesowen where I could buy my extremely good value Network Rider ticket for £4.20. This is a route operated by both NX West Mids and Diamond and an NX Omnilink duly arrived. I went to pay contactless...except to be told that I couldn't pay contactless for a TfWM Network ticket; only the NX ONLY day ticket can be purchased on an NX bus via contactless - ridiculous. I therefore waited for the Diamond bus and about 5 mins later, an e200 smartly wearing the two tone Diamond livery. It was reasonably presented internally too with a few general welcoming notices though not much else. It was a reasonable trip to Halesowen, and a decent load mainly of pensioners as we arrived in bright sunshine in Halesowen, one of the more attractive towns in the area. It's a fairly pleasant little town though clearly suffering the malaise affecting many towns of that type; the bus station is a rather grand affair for a small town (why do PTEs do that?) though the closed info office did seem to reflect the general state of the town's shops!

After a brief explore, I got ready for the next trip which was to Stourbridge on the 9 - the trunk route from Birmingham along the Hagley Road. Unlike the Metrobuses I fondly remember, this is now entrusted to NXWM Platinum e400mmcs. I have to say that these are superbly specified machines with seats that mirror what you'd have in a higher end car. We made our way back out and through the rolling lands on the edge of the conurbation to Stourbridge. I recall the old bus station there, strings of knackered bus shelters perched on a hill. Well, the site is the same but the bus station is a very smart affair. If I had a complaint, it's that TfWM and its predecessors have an absolute hatred of buses reversing and that seems to have precluded a design where bus and train station could be in a single structure. You can see the bus and rail stations here (and no naughty comments please)

Still, it's still a very good facility. I didn't hang about and my next bus was also NXWM on the 28 but a contrast to my previous one. Instead of comfortable seats, this small e200 that originated outside NX was fitted with urban 90s. At least they had been recently retrimmed in standard NX moquette and so were a bit better than usual though with some new padding. We scooted back towards Merry Hill though I declined to return to Halesowen. Instead, I got off at Cradley Heath Interchange - a long established and excellent bus and rail facility situated opposite the former Midland Red depot that closed in 1977.

My next bus was to take me to the smallest and most basic bus station in the West Midlands (IMHO) with a trip on NXWM's X10 to Gornal Wood. I'd done this years ago on a Sunday afternoon when it was the 137 and discovered Gornal Wood is not a hive of activity then. The X10 was sadly not a Premium vehicle but a modern yet less luxurious (though perfectly enjoyable) standard e400mmc. Unlike the Platinum vehicle, this had not a trace of internal promotion - something that affected all the vehicles I experienced during the day; don't operators like to promote their services on their vehicles? We retraced my steps via Merry Hill (aka Merry Hell - but not sampling the retail delights of this shopping behemoth) and then through Brierley Hill and the West Midlands most massive police station - how much crime is there in Brierley Hill? We then went past the site of the old Midland Red/WMPTE depot in Hartshill that had been used by a car auction firm for many years but was redeveloped some years ago; however, I noted that we continued to lose time, meaning I would miss my intended connection at Gornal Wood for the Diamond 223. Therefore, on arrival, I elected to have lunch. Beans on Toast and a cuppa were enjoyed at the cafe adjacent to the minimalist bus station.

I had a quick explore of Gornal Wood - not much there but there is a real Darby and Joan club - I thought they were mythical!! Having appraised my options, I decided to have a trip to Wolverhampton and a well turned out NXWM Eclipse duly turned up on time. These are great vehicles and the NXWM ones are nicely specced with the standard moquette. This had very few rattles as we headed on the 17A, initially through some 1970s suburbia, then via the small town of Sedgley, and then some very leafy streets before finally arriving into central Wolverhampton and the massive bus station. All the time, I was captivated by a guy with a salmon pink leather jacket and very obviously jet black dyed hair - a strong look that is almost like a Gary Numan tribute act!

I reached Wolverhampton but had already decided I wasn't hanging about. I left the bus station and went around the corner to the currently out of use tram stop to where the 530 departs from. This is Banga Travel - a firm that I have never travelled on, much to my shame. Well.... what an experience. The vehicle that arrived was a slimline Solo that, like me, is a Somerset emigree. I got on and the youngish driver did not look up from his phone as I showed my ticket - barely an acknowledgment. A number of passengers got on - this was a route that Banga and NXWM used to fight over and it didn't seem to be particularly lucrative. One old guy got on having done his shopping; to say he was unkempt is an understatement. The "system" is clearly failing when a man is frankly wearing rags (and I mean that) and he stank to high heaven though he thankfully soon departed our Solo. The vehicle itself had Urban 90 seats and the padding was threadbare. However, comfort was not a consideration as our pilot aimed (rather than drove) the Solo down the backstreets of Wolverhampton to Bilston. The operation is a throwback to the early 1990s of cheapo operators and Banga exists from that time; it just has never grown up. I had chance to wander around the centre of Bilston.

Aside from a nice little rank of 1930s shops, there is nothing of note there. A town blighted by decay. I waited in the bus station for my Diamond 326 to Bloxwich. Last time I travelled on this route, it was a disturbing speeding through the streets of Willenhall. This time, it was more measured. The drivers had a changeover with our new pilot taking great time to use his own sanitiser to disinfect the bus. He didn't have a cloth so used several copies of the Metro as a rag - whilst Diamond have improved and vehicle presentation is better, they still have the capacity to look unprofessional. The Solo was otherwise reasonably presented but again, it had Urban 90 style seats - is the West Midlands a hot spot for these aberrations? We weaved our way through the back roads of the West Midlands, heading via Willenhall to New Invention and then into Bloxwich - a pleasant little spot with a large green area where many bus services call in.

It was a quick stop and I got the 32 to Walsall - a jointly operated route under a TfWM partnership, both NXWM and Diamond use Eclipses. I had one from the former. Walsall isn't much to write home about, unless you're into leather....and I'm not. It's a major operational hub for NX West Midlands and I toyed with heading towards Aldridge or Sutton but instead elected to head south along the A34 to Birmingham. This was interesting as the route is being upgraded with bus priority etc for new routes associated with the Commonwealth Games. After my two previous journeys had been afflicted by uncomfortable seats on Solos, it was a return to the NXWM Premium fleet for the fast X51. The real interest is in Birmingham though... the area near Moor Street station has and is being massively redeveloped. Going back to the mid 1990s, it was a bit shabby round there, as was Birmingham in general. Now this area is to be home to HS2 and has accommodated much of the growth in universities with new housing etc.

It is a markedly different city and the new broom was also evident with NXWM's new electric deckers on the 6 to Solihull. I'd have fancied a trip on those but time was pressing so I had a trip down the Bristol Road to Selly Oak. This was a standard NXWM e400 and the lack of bus priority on that road was noticeable. I sought to attain a higher spiritual plane on the journey and so I was, by Pebble Mill, at one - there's a joke for the teenagers!!! Having ground our way through the traffic, I got off at Selly Oak and wandered to the storage depot that was the former WMPTE bus depot, and was historically tram sheds. Until 20 years ago, it was used for storing redundant vehicles by West Mids Travel that were hired to operators around the country and it's a fine looking building. It's the only nice building in Selly Oak really which is nothing more than a large road junction TBH.

I was getting a short hop on the famed 11C outer circle route and a trip to Bearwood, home to a vibrant main street and a weird little bus station that is served by only a few routes whilst the majority serve the main roads. I took a shot of one of the vehicles on the 11A/11C only for a passenger to step off, and shout across the road; he absolutely flipped. Stuff about privacy and the law and all that - I've attached the photo and can doubtless identify the person....except they were actually on the lower deck. I've seen and heard drivers getting annoyed, and I guess stuff like flashes going off and being photographed at work etc but a passenger?

After the excitement of that, this had to be tempered so a trip to West Brom would do the trick. From Bearwood high street, there was a choice of the 49 (a longer route I've done before) or the shorter 48. It was a standard NXWM e400 that made its way through downtown Smethwick and eventually deposited me at West Bromwich bus station - the West Midlands has a lot of bus stations and I had seen most of them. My last bus was to be a Diamond 4H to take me back to my car and it duly arrived - a 16 year old Dart with Urban 90 seats. In fact, Diamond had a varied fleet on the 4s with my earlier e200 being the pick whilst they even had a 17 year old Solo on that trunk route. Anyhow, I'd done really well and the bus arrived and then... a departing driver wasn't being replaced. My only cancellation of the day as the Diamond driver instructed everyone to get the next NX one which then duly arrived - one of the aging Scania Omnilinks that are fast becoming a rare sight around the country. So it was a nice sprint back to the car...and away.

Views and observations of the day. There are a lot of small towns that could be quite attractive but they are suffering the blight of neglect and high street decline, like Stourbridge and Halesowen but also places like Sedgley. Places like Oldbury and Willenhall seem even more depressed. The areas buses seem to be doing ok but there's a challenge to get passengers back on buses post covid. Bus priority really needs to be improved and Selly Oak was a clear example. The fleets themselves were generally ok - National Express was quite impressive though their lack of internal promotion (compared to their Platinum fleets) was rather odd. Diamond is improving and the external appearance is better with the repaints. However, overall service is a little less polished than you'd expect from a now substantial group. As for Banga Travel..... well, it's the type of operation that is cited by those hell bent on re-regulation.

Transport for West Midlands (TfWM) is a decent PTE. I'd argue not as good as West Yorkshire (Metro) but definitely better than Greater Manchester or South Yorkshire. Roadside publicity is generally ok (not withstanding vandalism and Covid) and I do like some of their bus infrastructure. However, fewer shiny bus stations and better bus priority might be better. Talking of bus stations, I racked up 10 in a day (without Bearwood).

As I said earlier, it's an area that I didn't really like at one time yet I've learned to appreciate the warmth of the people and the hidden delights of the area; those bits of countryside that suddenly appear around the hills of Dudley or around Wolverhampton. It's an area that I can really recommend

Hope you enjoyed the read and apologies that the photos aren't as good as @RELL6L or @TheSel
For some reason (must be my fault) I have only just seen this interesting report on the West Midlands. The smaller towns here seemed to have fared worse than the larger ones. I have been to many of these places - I agree Halesowen is one of the better ones and Stourbridge is good, especially if you head out of the town centre to the canal and the long flight of locks. Indeed the whole area has a great deal of canal interest. Banga Travel can maybe wait for another time - if it survives!

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
A short one here but I took Megabus from London to Glasgow last Friday.

M11X London to Glasgow non stop

I arrived at Victoria Coach Station quite early with an hour before departure. As usual the Scottish Megabus departures depart from the high numbered stances. I said I wouldn't travel on the overnight megabus since a bad experience few years back. I wanted to try the M11X which is operated by Macleans coaches.

With it being a Friday night the megabus services were busy. There was the M11 going via Manchester and a M11 dupe operated by a white ex National Express Levante. In addition there was the M20 up the east coast plus a dupe M20, which must just run the same route as the M11X: up the M40/M6. A very busy and confusing area with national express 594/595 to Edinburgh/Glasgow, easy to get on the wrong bus.

I always take notice of the demographics of the night services, its different from the trains. It appeared some people who were booked on the 2200 M20 had missed that service or thought the M11 at 2230 was what they had booked. The M11x runs non stop to Glasgow then Edinburgh. I was hoping this service would be quieter but it was busy.

I took a seat on the right and side two thirds of the way back of this VDL. I like to watch the traffic on the other side. I was hoping to have no seat mate but a group of young lads spread themselves out across the bus. As is the case the Scottish services head out via the A4/M4 now. Used to be towards the M1.

As we made it onto the M25 my seat mate started dozing off and with his head on my shoulder. So I had to nudge him a few times. No sleep for me as we made our way up the M40, M42 and M6 Toll. Megabus don't usually do service breaks but we got ten minutes at Norton Cane services. I started to doze off after Norton Cane and when we passed Stafford. Shortly after we pulled into Sandbach services, where we had 30 minutes. I thought this was a bit odd as it was less than an hour since we stopped at Norton Cane services. Perhaps we stopped at these two with regards to driving hours, I thought we would stop again at Tebay and the like.

At Sandbach the first light was showing out East and I started to doze on and off to Carlisle. Luckily my seatmate moved and found a free seat nearer to his mates. After a another doze, I awoke at Abingdon on the M74 and we neared Glasgow. We arrived in Glasgow bang on time just after 7am.

I paid £10 one way which is cheap for distance but comfort levels are low.

TheSel

Hi, Folks. It's a while since I posted an historical report, so here goes with one from 33 years ago today - Saturday 3 June 1989.

I drove to Llandudno Junction, and parked close to the Crosville Wales depot before buying the extremely good value 'Gwynedd Red Rover' on board the first bus of the day:

0913 X1 Llandudno Junction - Caernarfon Crosville Wales DVL442 - RMA442V - ECW bodied Bristol VR

which connected nicely into:

1015 80 Caernarfon - Penygroes Silver Star BNU676G - ECW bodied Bristol LH

BNU676G (2).jpg
Silver Star (new to Midland General) Bristol LH BNU676G at Penygroes

... where, after a few minutes wait, I was rewarded with a trip on one of my favourites - an RE:

1050 1 Penygroes - Blaenau Ffestiniog Express Motors ATA764L - ECW bodied Bristol RELL

ATA764L.jpg
Express Motors (new to Western National) Bristol RELL ATA764L, also at Penygroes ...

ATA764L (2).jpg
... and again, on arrival at Blaenau Ffestiniog.

Next up, I enjoyed the short, steep, trip up to the Slate Mines (and back) on a former Merseyside PTE Fleetline:

1330 40 Blaenau Ffestiniog - Slate Mines (return) Maldwyn Jones CKC347L - MetCam bodied Fleetline

3047.jpg
Maldwyn Jones (new to Merseyside PTE) Met Cam bodied Fleetline CKC347L in Blaenau Ffestiniog

... before retracing my outward journey back as far as Porthmadog on:

1415 1 Blaenau Ffestiniog - Porthmadog Express Motors NPU981M - ECW bodied Bristol VR

NPU981M.jpg
Express Motors (new to Eastern National) Bristol VR NPU981M, also in Blaenau Ffestiniog.

Time for a little mooch around Porthmadog, before returning to Caernarfon on:

1525 X1 Porthmadog - Caernarfon Crosville Wales DOG186 - B186BLG - ECW bodied Olympian

DOG186.jpg
Crosville Wales ECW bodied Olympian DOG186 - B186BLG - in Porthmadog

Finally the sun came out during this journey, so on arrival at Caernarfon I was able to take a few sunny shots, including the bus swinging into the old bus stands - somewhere they no longer operate - prior to my next ride:

1710 11 Caernarfon - Beddgelert Crosville Wales SNG578 - HMA578T - Leyland National B series (Gardner conversion)

SNG578 (1).jpg
Crosville Wales 'B' series Leyland National SNG578 - JTU578T - in Caernarfon

... and again at journey's end in Beddgelert:

SNG578 (2).jpg

I'd decided to return through Snowdonia, rather than along the coast as on this morning's X1 ride, so next up was a short journey from Beddgelert to Pont Bethania on:

1805 19 Beddgelert - Pont Bethania Crosville Wales MRF251 - E251ACC - Robin Hood bodied Iveco

MRF251.jpg
Robin Hood bodied Iveco E251ACC - Crosville Wales MRF251 - at Pont Bethania

... where a few minutes later a 'kiss and turn' manoeuvre brought my final vehicle for the day:

[connecting] 19 Pont Bethania - Llandudno Junction Crosville Wales MMM154 - D154VRP - Alexander bodied Mercedes

MMM154.jpg
Crosville Wales (new to Milton Keynes CityBus) MMM154 - D154VRP - Alexander bodied Mercedes L608D at Pont Bethania.

I'm not the greatest minibus fan, but it made a change to return to Llandudno 'over the mountain', and through such scenic delights as Capel Curig, Betws-y-Coed and Llanrwst. All in all, not a bad day out.

Thanks for reading.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Hi, Folks. It's a while since I posted an historical report, so here goes with one from 33 years ago today - Saturday 3 June 1989.

I drove to Llandudno Junction, and parked close to the Crosville Wales depot before buying the extremely good value 'Gwynedd Red Rover' on board the first bus of the day:

0913 X1 Llandudno Junction - Caernarfon Crosville Wales DVL442 - RMA442V - ECW bodied Bristol VR

which connected nicely into:

1015 80 Caernarfon - Penygroes Silver Star BNU676G - ECW bodied Bristol LH

View attachment 115581
Silver Star (new to Midland General) Bristol LH BNU676G at Penygroes

... where, after a few minutes wait, I was rewarded with a trip on one of my favourites - an RE:

1050 1 Penygroes - Blaenau Ffestiniog Express Motors ATA764L - ECW bodied Bristol RELL

View attachment 115582
Express Motors (new to Western National) Bristol RELL ATA764L, also at Penygroes ...

View attachment 115583
... and again, on arrival at Blaenau Ffestiniog.

Next up, I enjoyed the short, steep, trip up to the Slate Mines (and back) on a former Merseyside PTE Fleetline:

1330 40 Blaenau Ffestiniog - Slate Mines (return) Maldwyn Jones CKC347L - MetCam bodied Fleetline

View attachment 115584
Maldwyn Jones (new to Merseyside PTE) Met Cam bodied Fleetline CKC347L in Blaenau Ffestiniog

... before retracing my outward journey back as far as Porthmadog on:

1415 1 Blaenau Ffestiniog - Porthmadog Express Motors NPU981M - ECW bodied Bristol VR

View attachment 115585
Express Motors (new to Eastern National) Bristol VR NPU981M, also in Blaenau Ffestiniog.

Time for a little mooch around Porthmadog, before returning to Caernarfon on:

1525 X1 Porthmadog - Caernarfon Crosville Wales DOG186 - B186BLG - ECW bodied Olympian

View attachment 115586
Crosville Wales ECW bodied Olympian DOG186 - B186BLG - in Porthmadog

Finally the sun came out during this journey, so on arrival at Caernarfon I was able to take a few sunny shots, including the bus swinging into the old bus stands - somewhere they no longer operate - prior to my next ride:

1710 11 Caernarfon - Beddgelert Crosville Wales SNG578 - HMA578T - Leyland National B series (Gardner conversion)

View attachment 115587
Crosville Wales 'B' series Leyland National SNG578 - JTU578T - in Caernarfon

... and again at journey's end in Beddgelert:

View attachment 115588

I'd decided to return through Snowdonia, rather than along the coast as on this morning's X1 ride, so next up was a short journey from Beddgelert to Pont Bethania on:

1805 19 Beddgelert - Pont Bethania Crosville Wales MRF251 - E251ACC - Robin Hood bodied Iveco

View attachment 115589
Robin Hood bodied Iveco E251ACC - Crosville Wales MRF251 - at Pont Bethania

... where a few minutes later a 'kiss and turn' manoeuvre brought my final vehicle for the day:

[connecting] 19 Pont Bethania - Llandudno Junction Crosville Wales MMM154 - D154VRP - Alexander bodied Mercedes

View attachment 115590
Crosville Wales (new to Milton Keynes CityBus) MMM154 - D154VRP - Alexander bodied Mercedes L608D at Pont Bethania.

I'm not the greatest minibus fan, but it made a change to return to Llandudno 'over the mountain', and through such scenic delights as Capel Curig, Betws-y-Coed and Llanrwst. All in all, not a bad day out.

Thanks for reading.
Thanks to @TheSel for another corker of a historical day out. For me, that period from 1986-1990 was perhaps one of the most interesting as firms left their municipal/PTE/SBG/NBC heritage behind whilst new entrants of varying quality appeared. It's also good to see an area that I used to know very well.

I remember Silver Star's LHs though they tend to be the later ex Crosville and Eastern National ones. That LH was a real veteran at 19 years old but then again, they were very robust/unsophisticated machines. Little to go wrong on them but also little in terms of comfort!!

Of the routes that you went on, the ones that catch the eye are the Caernarfon to Beddgelert via Waunfawr - a hidden gem of a trip down there as many folk tend to travel via Llanberis and Pen-y-Pass. Have to concede that I don't recall the 19 running all the way down there to Beddgelert and yes, that's another great run over the top to Capel.

I can only assume you did the Fleetline for old times' sake given that type was a Wirral type? You could have been forgiven for ignoring the Olympian but it wouldn't have been long for the CW fleet; think they were in Leicestershire not long after this? I'll gloss over the REs - I know you love them and I was also a fan of them. However, I'm going to be controversial (again) - I was never a hater of minibuses. Some enthusiasts would regard such views as herecy (as all routes must be decker operated, unless they have an X prefix in which case, nothing less than a coach will suffice :lol:) . Some minibuses were rubbish (Sherpa, Dodge S56) but I spent a lot of time on those Merc 608s and they were great little servants. Very durable and quite fun on rural runs.

Thanks for sharing

TheSel

Time for another look into @TheSel's archives. On this day - 13 June - in 1989, I was away on a week's transport spotting holiday, and had booked into a Guest House in central Cambridge. It was a Tuesday, and it was what turned out to be the hottest week of the year.

First up, the 0850 service 124 from Cambridge to March in the hands of Cambus 728 - DNG233T - an ECW bodied Bristol VR.

728 - March.jpg
Cambus 728 - DNG233T - in March.

The same vehicle next took me to Ely, as the 1045 service 114, as seen above.

After a quick look at Ely, I enjoyed another VR, on service 109 to Littleport and back:

1220 109 Ely - Littleport Cambus 722 - BCL213T - ECW bodied Bristol VR

722 - Littleport (OK).jpg
Cambus 722 - BCL213T - at Littleport

... returning almost immediately as the 1250 109 Littleport - Ely Cambus 722 - BCL213T - ECW bodied Bristol VR

I now had a little more time in Ely, so wandered up to the railway station, which still had its attractive semaphore signals and signal box, as seen below.

51189 - Ely.jpg
Class 101 MetCam DMU, car 51189 leading, enters Ely station from the north.

53149 - Ely.jpg
Another class 101 - this time with car 53149 leading - heads north out of Ely.

As my next bus came out past the station, I waited there, rather than returning to the City Centre, and caught:

1355 116 Ely Station - Newmarket Cambus 752 - VEX299X - ECW bodied Bristol VR

752 - Soham (OK).jpg
Cambus 752 picks up passengers in Soham, on its way from Ely to Newmarket.

Despite the appearance of opening front windows on this vehicle, they were very firmly screwed shut, and I was extremely hot on arrival in Newmarket. So much so that I immediately went into the first pub I could find that sold real ale (I can't remember it's name, but it was a Greene King pub), and ordered two pints. The first went down in one, almost without touching the sides!

Suitably refreshed, I was soon on my way towards Cambridge - thus completing a 'triangular' trip, on yet another VR:

1610 111 Newmarket - Cambridge Cambus 743 - VEX300X - ECW bodied Bristol VR

743 - Newmarket.jpg
Cambus 743 arrives in Newmarket, prior to its trip to Cambridge.

After a few photos in and around Cambridge City Centre, I finished off the day's travelling with an attractive route out to Saffron Walden and back, in the hands of an almost new Northern Counties bodied Olympian:

1750 122 Cambridge - Saffron Walden Cambus 513 - F513NJE - NCME bodied Olympian

1845 112 Saffron Walden - Cambridge Cambus 513 - F513NJE - NCME bodied Olympian

513 - Great Chesterford.jpg
Cambus 513 - F513NJE - waits for a train at Great Chesterford level crossing, whilst working the 1845 service from Saffron Walden to Cambridge on 13/6/89.

Interestingly, if you look at this location on Google Streetview, you will get a glimpse of a Stagecoach East 'Enviro 400' - so you still seem to get 'deckers on this service (image dated October 2021).

Hope you've enjoyed this 'short and sweet' nostalgic look at Cambus. More from the archives in a few days.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Time for another look into @TheSel's archives. On this day - 13 June - in 1989, I was away on a week's transport spotting holiday, and had booked into a Guest House in central Cambridge. It was a Tuesday, and it was what turned out to be the hottest week of the year.

First up, the 0850 service 124 from Cambridge to March in the hands of Cambus 728 - DNG233T - an ECW bodied Bristol VR.

View attachment 116117
Cambus 728 - DNG233T - in March.

The same vehicle next took me to Ely, as the 1045 service 114, as seen above.

After a quick look at Ely, I enjoyed another VR, on service 109 to Littleport and back:

1220 109 Ely - Littleport Cambus 722 - BCL213T - ECW bodied Bristol VR

View attachment 116118
Cambus 722 - BCL213T - at Littleport

... returning almost immediately as the 1250 109 Littleport - Ely Cambus 722 - BCL213T - ECW bodied Bristol VR

I now had a little more time in Ely, so wandered up to the railway station, which still had its attractive semaphore signals and signal box, as seen below.

View attachment 116119
Class 101 MetCam DMU, car 51189 leading, enters Ely station from the north.

View attachment 116120
Another class 101 - this time with car 53149 leading - heads north out of Ely.

As my next bus came out past the station, I waited there, rather than returning to the City Centre, and caught:

1355 116 Ely Station - Newmarket Cambus 752 - VEX299X - ECW bodied Bristol VR

View attachment 116121
Cambus 752 picks up passengers in Soham, on its way from Ely to Newmarket.

Despite the appearance of opening front windows on this vehicle, they were very firmly screwed shut, and I was extremely hot on arrival in Newmarket. So much so that I immediately went into the first pub I could find that sold real ale (I can't remember it's name, but it was a Greene King pub), and ordered two pints. The first went down in one, almost without touching the sides!

Suitably refreshed, I was soon on my way towards Cambridge - thus completing a 'triangular' trip, on yet another VR:

1610 111 Newmarket - Cambridge Cambus 743 - VEX300X - ECW bodied Bristol VR

View attachment 116122
Cambus 743 arrives in Newmarket, prior to its trip to Cambridge.

After a few photos in and around Cambridge City Centre, I finished off the day's travelling with an attractive route out to Saffron Walden and back, in the hands of an almost new Northern Counties bodied Olympian:

1750 122 Cambridge - Saffron Walden Cambus 513 - F513NJE - NCME bodied Olympian

1845 112 Saffron Walden - Cambridge Cambus 513 - F513NJE - NCME bodied Olympian

View attachment 116124
Cambus 513 - F513NJE - waits for a train at Great Chesterford level crossing, whilst working the 1845 service from Saffron Walden to Cambridge on 13/6/89.

Interestingly, if you look at this location on Google Streetview, you will get a glimpse of a Stagecoach East 'Enviro 400' - so you still seem to get 'deckers on this service (image dated October 2021).

Hope you've enjoyed this 'short and sweet' nostalgic look at Cambus. More from the archives in a few days.
What happened @TheSel - where are your REs???

Another thing was what happened to the adverts on buses. I see to recall they often had ads around the destinations for Radio Cambridgeshire, as well as the regular ones on the side. Here, there was only one vehicle that featured an advert and that was for Family Credit. The VRs look good but the nearly new Olympian... that was a modern classic of a machine.

I've done a few trips around Cambridgeshire but not too many so thank you for sharing your fine snaps.

I enjoyed a trip on Saturday involving, what I happen to think, is the best non-tourist orientated bus service in the UK!! I'll share that in a couple of days when I've time to write!!

RELL6L

What happened @TheSel - where are your REs???

Another thing was what happened to the adverts on buses. I see to recall they often had ads around the destinations for Radio Cambridgeshire, as well as the regular ones on the side. Here, there was only one vehicle that featured an advert and that was for Family Credit. The VRs look good but the nearly new Olympian... that was a modern classic of a machine.

I've done a few trips around Cambridgeshire but not too many so thank you for sharing your fine snaps.

I enjoyed a trip on Saturday involving, what I happen to think, is the best non-tourist orientated bus service in the UK!! I'll share that in a couple of days when I've time to write!!
I’m on a three week tour of Iceland at the moment (no buses - in a motorhome!) so have been following the forum very intermittently, but I enjoyed @TheSel in Cambridgeshire. And I am intrigued what the best non-tourist oriented route might be! I guess not on the coast or in a National Park so perhaps Mid Wales, Shropshire or perhaps a crossing of the Pennines such as Glossop to Holmfirth. Perhaps maybe seriously rural Durham / N Yorks / Northumberland or you could argue for some Scottish routes… I await to see what @TheGrandWazoo puts forward….

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Glad to hear that @RELL6L is enjoying himself in Iceland and so has a good reason for being a bit quieter than usual. It's a fabulous country - truly a place I'd go back to in a heartbeat.

In that respect, my trip hardly compares with the scenery that he is currently enjoying! However, I will now whip away the curtain of mystery and share where I travelled the other day. It was to South Wales and that probably gives the game away on my favourite non-tourist route in the country and as I've a few shots to illustrate that and the rest of the day, it may have to be in two posts.

I travelled along the M4 and stashed the car in the backstreets of Pontypridd. It was a short walk from there to the bus station and my first bus of the day.
1655283407283.png
It was the 61 to Aberdare, a service that has recently dropped from a 15 to 20 min headway. The first time I did this route was on a former Cynon Valley RESL (one for @TheSel to salivate on) but these days, it tends to be either a Solo or, as in this case, and e200. My SE Wales Network Rider purchased, we travelled up the valley running parallel to the rail line. For such a frequent route, the poor evening and Sunday service is a surprise though but I do like the scenery in the Cynon Valley. It was lightly loaded but the timings seem very slack - we were waiting time a several points and the stop at Aberaman (welsh translation - town of the closed pubs?) was about 5 mins - literally. After leaving the last timing point on time, we were still early into the bus station!

1655283464880.png

Now I did have a bit of a chore to undertake locally, so a return trip to nearby Trecynon was in order. This is on the main corridor north of the town and is entrusted to a batch of 2013 Solos that are/were branded for the network plus a few additional older examples. These routes serve the Tesco at Gadlys that was the site of both the Cynon Valley Transport and National Welsh depots. Nothing illustrates that they were there but there is one old vestige of an earlier era...

1655284576150.png

This is one thing that I noticed and once you do realise, it was something that I noticed more.... the Stagecoach Wales fleet really hasn't had much investment in the last 5 years. Yes, appreciate the pandemic has had a major impact but things had slowed up in terms of fleet replacement. Perhaps it wasn't needed but the fleet profile is looking a bit middle aged all of a sudden. And I still don't like the Stagecoach "new" livery. One impressive thing that I found a surprise was the Next Stop Announcements that seemed to be commonplace on these local services - some WG/Council scheme/funding?

I was also surprised at how quiet Aberdare has now become. A once bustling town, the place seems to have succumbed to the retail blight of many similar places. It's now a place of empty units, nail bars and vape shops, with the only people on the streets either pensioners or the occasional 'roid addled gym meathead. It's a shame as the town has some fine buildings.

1655283767315.png
1655283884800.png
However, it was now time to experience the best "normal" bus service in the country and it runs from Aberdare. Others may have a different view but I think the 172 south is a stunning service though I was doing it the wrong way - the descent into Aberdare is probably the better way to do it. Armed with a bacon roll, I went to the stand as it was loading. I thought it looked a bit short and discovered that instead of the usual Scania e300, it was a standard e200. I wondered how it would fair on climbing up Maerdy Mountain as we headed from the Cynon to the Rhondda Valley. Would it make it or would it be so slow that I'd get a lingering view...?

The Scanias are good vehicles though many would prefer the B10Ms to still work the route. However, the e200 actually did pretty well as climbing up Maerdy Mountain and afforded some fabulous views of Aberdare below, and over to the Black Mountains. After traversing the moors on the summit, we then descended down past the wind farm and the site of the former Maerdy Colliery. Apparently, this area was one of the last to have a communist MP but the world has changed since the demise of coal!

1655284641068.png
1655284693297.png
1655284742120.png
After a trip down the Rhondda Fach and places like Maerdy, Ferndale and Tylorstown - all of which seemed closed - it was another punishing climb that our e200 managed with some ease. We reached the Penrhys summit and a bus shelter with a buggy on the roof; I do hope it was empty!! It was then another sweeping drop into the main part of the Rhondda towards Tonypandy.
1655284785889.png
1655285266530.png
The performance of our trusty e200 had been quite spirited but we were beginning to fill up and the extra weight of passengers was beginning to have an impact. Nonetheless, we still climbed out of the valley again as we headed out to Gilfach Goch where we took on more passengers. Now full but no standing and we then left the last of the stereotypical valleys scenery before entering more rolling countryside en route to Bryncethin. We dropped a few passengers at the outlet centre in Sarn but many seemed to be having a trip to the coast at Porthcawl. We then entered Bridgend - a place with a surprising amount of bus lanes though our driver decided to avoid using most of them, and we then arrived into the town bus station where I made my leave and left many of the passengers to head to Porthcawl.

Despite this, I think the 172 is really not a tourist service; it's a fabulous local bus service that climbs and clambers over the valleys and affords tremendous views of the area. The e200 was an able replacement but you probably wouldn't want one on their every day. However, with the Scanias now 10 years old, it's one of a number of routes where some investment might not be amiss.

I'll share the second half of the day in due course but really wanted to share the 172.

Having arrived at Bridgend bus station, I had hoped that the last few ex Bath Solos in the First fleet might still be active on local routes. They appear not to be but this is one of the spots where First's remaining Darts hang on. It seems odd to think that these are now endangered but some 32 years after my first Dart trip, they are beginning to get thin on the ground (though the newest are now 16 years old). Even more crazy is that First seem to be doing a job in culling them faster than some other firms.

So when faced with the choice of heading towards Cowbridge/Cardiff, or Porthcawl, it was a perverse delight to have a trip on one of the remaining ones and a service that I don't think I've been on before? Even in the days of the 244 and now 404, I've not been on the Bridgend to Talbot Green route before but this was the 65 which takes a different route with a retrace of my steps via Bryncethin. The elderly Dart had received a mid life refurb with eLeather which was tidy though the cove panels inside were very grubby. It rattled a bit but it is a 2004 machine and not long for this world, I guess, and I'm not certain about the 65 as I was the only passenger for much of the route. It's a shame as it was quite a fun route once we left greater Bridgend, as we scooted about the countryside with a double run to serve Heol-y-Cyw before we headed into Talbot Green.

1655313379970.png
I stopped for lunch here, missing out the attractions of some of the more infrequent Adventure Travel routes but, in truth, I'd been travelling with barely a break in 3 hours. Talbot Green is a strange little place with a disproportionately large bus station. I had a good all day breakfast in a nearby cafe, and then headed out. I was going to Cardiff and that would normally mean the 122 - this was a 15 headway service just a few years ago but then went 20 mins and is now every 30 mins - a worrying decline and also shown in an erosion of the evening and Sunday service too. It was a route that perhaps should've had the Gold treatment a few years ago. Instead, I went for the similar 124 that is quicker into Cardiff but not before it has a loop around Creigiau. It was a well patronised run on another e200 (it was a very e200 sort of day) that had clearly received some Euro VI enhancements.
1655313445482.png
1655313532428.png
1655313621452.png
Cardiff was very busy and every time I visit, I like it a bit more. It feels much more like a European city than places like Birmingham - it has greenery and just feels better. However, the bus priority is still not brilliant and the stream of cars passing the castle just seemed never-ending. As it's June, it has gained a Pride themed pedestrian crossing though. I'm not one for merely getting on a bus for 5 mins but I made an exception to experience one of the newish Yutong electrics that Cardiff Bus has on the 27. It was a busy run so I elected not to sit and I have to say, I think the Yutongs are really decent vehicles. It was off at Maindee for my next machine.... the Stagecoach Gold service to Blackwood.
1655313721745.png

Historically a jointly operated route between Islwyn and Cardiff Bus, it is a Stagecoach Gold route and so I was looking forward to a bit of luxury. I'd seen the e200mmc arrive into Cardiff so knew it might be a few mins late.... it was to be 25 mins late. I really like these machines though this was beginning to look a little careworn internally despite being only 5 years old. Moreover, and this might be the clue, there was a continuous humming through the bus that began to drive me mad. Instead of the usual relaxing ride, I had a headache by the time I disembarked, 35 mins late into Caerphilly.
1655313918844.png
My plans needed rearranging and so it was onto a Harris Coaches Solo to head to Nelson. This was not in Harris livery but oddly in overall white though clearly came from Weardale in the North East. I quite like Harris - one of the few independents left in the valleys and they have their niche. The C16 is a handy little route and we followed by Gold mmc to Ystrad Mynach before we began to explore parts of the area that I wasn't familiar with. Penallta was a surprise where the old pithead is still in situ and there's a new country park. A more challenged area is Gelligaer - a council estate with some level of deprivation but fighting the expansion of a nearby quarry, if the signs on the estate were anything to go by. Having left there, I realised we'd climbed onto the top of the valley and then traversed open moorland before we dropped into Nelson, passing bus stops with route numbers and operator IDs including IBT (closed 2010) and Shamrock (closed 2006).

Now the Valleys has any number of pathetic bus stations but Nelson bus station is perhaps the most tragic. I had a bit of a break in the sun but there's not a huge amount to do as I waited for my final bus of the day. It arrived on time being the X38 from Bargoed to Pontypridd. It was a shortish trip of 15 mins back to Ponty, passing one of the Clayton Jones Merc minis as we headed into town. Oh, and it was yet another e200 - I bemoan the demise of the Dart but the e200 is very much in rude health in South Wales.

1655313869046.png
1655314130231.png
I enjoy the Welsh Valleys and especially in glorious sunshine. I hope it's of interest and for those who haven't visited, I hope it prompts you to explore it sometime. The 172 is a tremendous route but even something like the unassuming C16 is a little cracker. Fantastic vistas, great people, and a lot of history - well worth a wander around.

ps noted two of my services had trainee drivers with mentors on board, and saw quite a few others so First and Stagecoach are certainly trying to get people through the door.

Last edited:

peterblue

I'm pleased to hear you had a good trip. There's some nice routes in South Wales. The 172 sounds like a fabulous route and one to try at some point. I've done the 1 before between Bargoed and Merthyr which is also scenic - then I headed directly down from Merthyr into Cardiff after that.

I sadly don't share the same love for Cardiff as you do. Maybe I'm unlucky, but every time I visit there are hoards of drunks and unsavoury people hanging about even during mid afternoon. It's certainly rather 'busy' anyway and I tend to prefer the quaint picture postcard towns like e.g. York. To each their own ;)

TheSel

What a fantastic report from @TheGrandWazoo! Yes, I fully agree - some of those inter-Cardiff Valleys services are spectacular. I've not done them all, by any means, but do have many happy memories of some of them, particularly around Aberdare and Pontypridd on former Red & White (by this time National Welsh) LAX-E registered RESLs.
Many thanks for the entertaining report and photos. And yes, mention of a Cynon Valley RESL ... phwoaaaaaaaaargh! :wub: That's another pair of underpants needing washing!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
What a fantastic report from @TheGrandWazoo! Yes, I fully agree - some of those inter-Cardiff Valleys services are spectacular. I've not done them all, by any means, but do have many happy memories of some of them, particularly around Aberdare and Pontypridd on former Red & White (by this time National Welsh) LAX-E registered RESLs.
Many thanks for the entertaining report and photos. And yes, mention of a Cynon Valley RESL ... phwoaaaaaaaaargh! :wub: That's another pair of underpants needing washing!
Just checking back in the archives, and the date of that 11th June 1994.... so 28 years to the day since a trip on an ex CVT RESL.

As an abridged summary of that...

Started off at St Athan. Rather than the 303/4, it was the 145 between Bridgend and Cardiff and was operated under tender by Golden Coaches of Llandow (later purchased by First). They clearly had some issues and had hired in Rhondda's Leopard 392 (courtesy of Andrew Mann on Flickr) - possibly the last one I enjoyed with the Willowbrook 003 bodywork.

1655471111797.png
1655471231627.png

Into Cardiff and a change onto a relatively rare beast in 927 AKG214A, a Tiger with Duple Laser body (photo credit again to Andrew Mann) now with Stagecoach but originally with National Welsh and still wearing Red and White livery; the Stagecoach stripes were appearing at this point. These were I think worn by my next vehicle - a former Cynon Valley Dodge S56 with Northern Counties bodywork. I seem to recall the run from Pontypridd to Aberdare was territory that was being fought over by Clayton Jones as well as Stagecoach. I also seem to think the bus station there was quite new but no information.

Then onto a run to Hirwaun and that RESL. 354 HTG354N was still in R&W colours but would later get stripes and then be preserved before being stolen and damaged beyond repair. Photo courtesy of @iantherev. It was a spirited, thunderous trip up the valley and to Hirwaun. I then had a wait before getting a short National, another former Cynon Valley machine in 448 DDW433V. Again in R&W colours, it would also receive stripes though would move to a new life in Devon at some point as I enjoyed a bit of valley hopping on this machine.

1655471677712.png
1655471858608.png

No point in hanging around in Merthyr's grim bus station so back on the X4 and a trip back down to Ponty on another former National Welsh Tiger though this time, 914 AAX516A now repainted in Stagey stripes for the short blast down the A470. Into Ponty and then a change on the 244, at that time operated by Rhondda's Porth depot and a modern Dart in K96AAX. This took me to Talbot Green where I dived off the vehicle and onto a Merc 608 mini of Brewers - 201 C201HTH, the first SWT minibus. This took me to Pontyclun and then a change to the 122 and the newest bus of the day, L82CWO, another Plaxton Pointer but on a B6 chassis to take me on the 122 back to Cardiff for my train.

padbus

Like @TheGrandWazoo, I too have been travelling round the Welsh Valleys by bus. My wife and I spent the Jubilee Holiday weekend with our children who both live in Cardiff. This gave me an opportunity to go off by myself to experience some of the more scenic bus routes in South Wales. Although Cardiff Bus ran a Saturday service on holiday Thursday and Friday, Stagecoach only ran a Sunday service so the only practical day for my trip was Saturday 4 June 2022. As I live in another part of the country served by Stagecoach, I know enough about the Stagecoach website to go to the “Offers & Promos” page to find up to date timetable information. Using Cardiff as a search area I learned that there would be service changes on 29 May 2022. Fortunately, the page included a list of services, split by area, with the date of the latest timetable for each one. This helped ensure I was looking at the correct version for the date of my trip. By contrast, the Cardiff Bus website is way ahead of most others in terms of its ease of use.

The weather forecast at the start of the holiday was for Saturday to generally fine and warm. However, by Friday it had changed to being seriously wet and I feared I would have to abandon my plans. Nevertheless, I rose early to find it was dry with a better, if not brilliant, day forecast. So, I set off in light drizzle for the short walk from my daughter’s home in the inner-city Cardiff suburb of Canton to the nearest bus stop on Cowbridge Road East.

07:56 ‘Radnor Court’ Cardiff Bus 351 (YT10 UWJ) Scania Omnidekka on route 17 to City Centre.
Whilst I am sorry that the bendybuses which ran on route 17 & 18 have now gone, this ex-Nottingham Omnidekka was a worthy, if not much younger, replacement. The driver was not fazed by being asked for the concessionary rate South East Wales Network Rider ticket available to holders of English and Scottish bus passes and charged me the expected £5.50.

Cardiff Council have been carrying out extensive, every changing and very long-winded road works in the area where most buses from Canton terminate so it is always a matter of pot luck as to what route will be taken. This time, the bus dived off the direct route to the city centre and ran along the west bank of the River Taff to Wood Street and then along a diversionary route which took us under a corner of the Millennium Stadium to terminate in Westgate Street. I had allowed some slack in my plan here so was able to indulge in some photography, including the new building which will, one day, house Cardiff’s long awaited new bus station.
01 Cardiff Westgate Street m.JPG

08:30 ‘Cardiff Philharmonic JP’ Stagecoach 26194 (YX67VAK) ADL Enviro 200MMC on route 26 to Blackwood
IMG_4131m.jpeg
It’s a good thing I know Cardiff well enough to know that Philharmonic JP is stop JP outside a pub in St Mary’s Street. The bus was a Gold Specification, 11.8m version of the E200 so had comfortable “leather” seating, USB chargers and may have had WiFi. It also had rattles. Everything seemed to rattle. We rattled along Wood Street. We rattled under the Stadium and we rattled up Westgate Street. We rattled past Cardiff Castle up North Road past fine Civic and University buildings to Gabalfa Interchange (a major 3 level road junction) where we diverted off the main road to rattle round the grounds of Cardiff’s main hospital to drop off one of our three passengers. We rattled out of the hospital to rattle along a residential road back to Gabalfa Interchange to gain the main A470 road out of town. We rattled along at a good speed past 1920’s semis which would command a good price if they were not on a busy dual carriageway. We reached Coryton Interchange (a 3-level motorway junction) where the speed limit now allowed us to rattle along even faster for a mile or two before we turned off the main road to rattle through Taffs Well. This was a mixture of terrace housing and commercial premises (including Ferris Coaches). At Nantgarw, we crossed the A470 to rattle towards Caerphilly. We picked up a steady trickle of passengers along the way before arriving in Caerphilly town centre where I alighted. The bus rattled off in the direction of Caerphilly Interchange (a bus station next to a train station).

I had about 10 minutes to wait here so I went for wander around in a bitingly cold wind. A quick glance around a shopping centre suggested that Caerphilly had a good range of shops. However, the town’s crowning glory is its magnificent castle with moat and parkland. After taking a few photos in difficult lighting conditions I returned to the town centre for my next bus.
Caerphilly Castle m.JPG

09:34: ‘Castle Court Bandstand’ Stagecoach 36841 (CN13 AXO) ADL Enviro 200 on route 50 to Bargoed.
Route 50 is billed as running from Newport via Caerphilly to Bargoed. However, it seems that, in practice, it is split at Caerphilly with the 2 halves running separately (rather than as a drivers’ hours fudge). The bus was a 10.8m second generation version E200 with the emergency door in the lower level. It had Stagecoach standard seats which are adequately comfortable. I prefer the bright blue moquette to the dark leather of the Gold buses. It was noticeably less rattly than the Gold bus but, after I had taken my favoured first high level seat on the nearside, I found the my window was covered in Contravision. Naughty Stagecoach!

The bus was not busy leaving Caerphilly so early on a Saturday morning and those that were on board alighted within the town. The route was, for the most part, built up as we climbed through Llanbradach and Ystrad Mynach. We did however, start to pick up a few passengers as we approached Bargoed. Bargoed has an Interchange. Google maps suggests that this Interchange is a bus station remote from either a train station or the town centre. However, the timetable suggested that the bus would not go there but would terminate at Hanbury Square, which is where I alighted, along with most of the other passengers. The return timetable shows buses starting at Hanbury Square and calling at the Interchange on their way back to Caerphilly. The online timetable was a lightly formatted version of a computer file and little bit more editing would not go amiss. While the bus was loading, I went to see what business was responsible for the Contravision over the window and found it was Stagecoach advertising for engineering staff. Very naughty Stagecoach!

Hanbury Square seemed to be quite busy with buses picking and dropping off passengers. This may be because of the impressive artwork in the middle of the square celebrating the contribution miners have made to the town. On the other hand, it may be because of the large Morrisons supermarket there. By now the weather was cold with heavy drizzle so I sought refuge in Morrisons to use the facilities and to buy a meal deal for later in the day. By the time I came out the drizzle had eased off so I wandered up the High Street for a while. Most of the local shops were shuttered but I did wonder if this was because this Saturday was between two bank holidays and Sunday so the shopkeepers had decided to take the opportunity of having four days off. Others were fast food take aways which probably would not normally open in the morning. I wandered back to Hanbury Square to await the arrival of my next bus from the Interchange.

10:31 ‘Hanbury Square’ Stagecoach 35196 (CN56 EXM) Pointer Dart on route 1 to Merthyr Tydfil.
05 Bargoed Hanbury Square.jpegI had hoped that this bus would be one of Stagecoach’s small fleet of wheel forward Wright Streetlites which is based in Merthyr Tydfil. Whilst the exterior of the Dart was showing its age, the interior was in very good condition and it rattled no more than most other buses. We set off with one other passenger and headed up the east side of the Rhymney Valley to serve New Tredegar. It was here we encountered a Streetlite heading towards Bargoed from Merthyr Tydfil on service 3 which interworks with service 1. The route was uphill and, as we climbed, views of wild open countryside came into view. We continued climbing till we reached Tir-Phil station where we did two sharp left turns across the railway bridge to head back down the other side of the valley back towards Bargoed. The road coming up had not been wide but this road was narrower so we spent time negotiating parked cars and oncoming traffic. It was along here that my fellow passenger alighted. The road was built up most of the way but with views of the mountains above New Tredegar. We returned almost back to Bargoed before striking back uphill to Deri with its typical rows of terrace housing and then on through increasing open and mountainous countryside to Fochriw. There we did a circuit round a modern (ie built during the Queen’s reign) housing estate before heading onto even more open country with cattle grids and sheep.
06 New Tredegar m.JPG

07 Fochriw m.JPGThere is a map on the Stagecoach Promos and Offers page about the changes to the Merthyr Tydfil buses from 29 May 2022 which suggests the service 1 heads direct to Merthyr from Fochriw. This is not what the timetable says and the bus followed the timetable though Pontlottyn to Rhymney. We started picking up passengers along this stretch of road, every one of whom seemed to know everyone else. By the time we had left Rhymney, the bus was pretty much full. We climbed back out of the Rhymney Valley up to the new Heads of the Valleys Road which we crossed to follow the old road. Again, we were high up with open views though there was some evidence of open cast mining. We called in to an out-of-town Asda store where our progress was impeded by a queue for petrol. We then dropped down into Merthyr Tydfil, which turned out to be a bigger place than I had expected.

In my planning, I had allowed for a 6 minutes connection at Merthyr Tydfil’s new bus station and the bus I was on was now a minute or two late. As we pulled into the bus station, I could see my next bus on its stand with passengers already on board. I made sure I was first off the bus and through the automatic door onto the concourse. I made my way quickly to my next bus and jumped aboard. Had I not made the connection, I would not have been a problem as all the buses I was planning to use ran at least hourly it would have been easy to drop back an hour and carry on. As it was, I had no time to experience the delights of Merthyr Tydfil and its quite smart looking new bus station.

11:50 ‘Merthyr Tydfil Bus Station’ Stagecoach 47856 (CN13 CZC) Optare Solo SR on route 6 to Aberdare
This journey turned out to be something of a puzzle. When planning it, I came across several enigmatic timing points on routes in the area. Names like “Hungry Bear” and “Clock” do nothing to dispel the idea that local buses are only for use by locals. Anyway, as far as I could see, this bus would follow the Heads of the Valleys Road west out of Merthyr Tydfil before heading south across, what appeared on the map to be, high open country to Aberdare. The journey started off as expected with a call at Cyfarthfa Shopping Park, a collection of retail sheds occupied by many big national retailers. We then headed out of town and along the Heads of the Valleys Road. This road is being upgraded so we were in continuous road works zone with a 40mph speed limit. However, the bus did not turn south but carried on through open hilly countryside and eventually turned off into Hirwaun. We did a circuit of the town and passed an impressive clock, which may have answered my timing point query. In due course, we passed a ‘Road Ahead Closed’ sign and came to a closed road. We doubled back through Hirwaun and onto the Heads of the Valleys Road which we followed for short distance back towards Merthyr Tydfil. We then turned right and headed south towards Aberdare via an unremarkable, generally built-up route. This did, at least, produce some trade for the bus. I am something of a fan of the Optare Solo and this one seemed ideally suited to the route giving a quiet, smooth ride with few rattles. We eventually arrived in Aberdare Bus Station about 10 minutes later than I had expected. As I got off, I spotted a notice in the bus suggesting that buses in Hirwaun were being be diverted because of road closures. There was not time to read it properly and I have been unable to find it on-line.
Aberdare Solo.JPG

13:00 ‘Aberdare Bus Station’ Stagecoach 28737 (YN15 KGO) Scania N230UB/ADL Enviro 300 on Route 172 to Porthcawl
Aberdare has a large, if simple, bus station with toilets. My next bus had arrived but was not yet boarding, so I took the opportunity to sit on a bench and eat my lunch while the driver adjusted his seat and mirrors and carried out a full walk round check of the vehicle. When he was ready, he rolled the bus forward on to the stand and the small group of passengers boarded. All the drivers I encountered on this trip were aware of the Network Rider ticket, but this driver also wanted to see my ENCTS pass to go with it. The bus was a superior vehicle with high backed, blue moquette covered seats and lap seatbelts. I took my favoured first raised seat on the nearside though there were seats behind that were higher. The bus also boasted a single seat facing forward above the nearside front wheel. This would have provided a commanding view of the road ahead but there was a moquette covered pad at eye height on the glass panel in front.
08 Aberdare Scania m.JPG
We left on time and, after stopping in Victoria Square to pick up some more passengers, we were soon climbing out of town. The road initially was fairly straight and lined with houses and associated on street parking which delayed our progress at times. As the built-up area ended, the road started climbing steeply through a succession of hairpin bends to open country atop Maerdy Mountain. The Scania coped with all this without any fuss. The engine rumbled away smoothly and whatever gear changes may have occurred were all smooth. There were very few rattles. All in all, a very superior bus.
10 Maerdy Mountain m.JPG
No sooner had we reached the top than we started the descent into Maerdy where there was a crowd of people waiting at Maerdy Court. Very few joined us so were no doubt waiting for one of the other buses serving this stop. After Maerdy, the route became almost continuously built up along the valley of the Afon Rhondda Fach through the settlements of Ferndale and Tylorstown, although open country was always in view on the hills above. At Tylorstown the route turned steeply up the side of the valley to serve the 1960s hilltop community of Penrhys before dropping down the valley of the Afon Rhondda at Ystrad and then on to Tonypandy. I could have stayed on the bus to Bridgend or even Porthcawl and made my way back to Cardiff on a First bus. However, I had other commitments later in the day so I alighted at Tonypandy bus station to await my bus direct back to Cardiff.

14:00 ‘Tonypandy Bus Station’ Stagecoach 27690 CN60 CVH ADL Enviro 300 on route 122 to Cardiff
Tonypandy bus station is a simple affair with a few bus shelters either side of a road on one side of an open square behind the Pandy Inn. I only had a short time to wait there so there was not time to explore the town. I did, however, spot a Stagecoach Mercedes Sprinter operating a Fleccsi service. The Enviro 300 had Stagecoach standard bus seats, which are adequately comfortable. However, my favoured first seat the high level had literally no leg room. What I can only assume was the rear wheelarch came right up to the underside of the seat cushion and was about a seat and half wide. I cannot see how anyone could sit there. I moved a seat back where the intrusion was less. Whoever signed off the design of the bus obviously never had to travel on it. Apart from that it was a good bus with few rattles.
Tonypandy Fleccsi m.JPG
The route from Tonypandy to Cardiff broadly follows the A4119 but deviates from it to serve communities that are by-passed by the main road. As my journey took place during the Jubilee celebrations, houses decorated with bunting had featured all along the route. However, this last leg of the journey saw this taken to a new level with whole streets decorated as part of an obvious community effort. The route is built-up most of the way with the architecture subtly changing as the road drops down from the hills. We called at the Royal Glamorgan Hospital without needing to stop and reached Talbot Green with its retail park and small bus station. By now, the weather was blue skies and sunshine, though still windy. Passing through a picturesque part of Miskin near the Miskin Arms we met an oncoming bus on a very tight corner but we were able to pass it at very low speed. The road then takes on a more rural nature till it crosses the M4, after which, much is changing. Here Cardiff is expanding in a big way with massive housing estates being built, though there is no sign of any bus ways, tramlines or railways being built to help the residents reach Cardiff without driving on roads which are already congested. When we reached the Cardiff border, the bus diverted to serve Danescourt, an area also served by Cardiff bus. Perhaps Stagecoach are trying to serve a market for people working out of the city in places like the industrial estates of Llantrisant. After all, money is quite literally made there. After the bus had passed through Llandaff (a city within a city) it was time for me to bail out at ‘Opp Howells School’ from where it was a short walk back to my daughter’s home.

This is the first day I have spent out bus riding for very many years and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The weather could have been kinder but the buses all turned up when they were supposed to and provided a good vantage point to explore an unfamiliar part of the country.

Bristol LH

Having arrived at Bridgend bus station, I had hoped that the last few ex Bath Solos in the First fleet might still be active on local routes.

53809, 53813 and 53818 can usually be found 'hanging on' at Port Talbot on local services.

route101

Established Member
Two great Welsh reports there. The only bus services I have ever used in Wales were the Cardiff Airport bus to Cardiff, Bristol to Newport on Firstbus and the most recent was a stagecoach service from Rhymney to Merthyr.

I need to go back and do some routes and the remaining Aberdare railway branch.

ian1944

Re. the point upthread about scenic nontourist routes, many years ago I took the PMT Sheffield-Hanley service between Buxton and Leek. There were spectacular changes of level and distant views, and the weird rock formation of the Roaches was notable. Quite a change from upmarket Buxton to workaday Leek, which was merely a change point onto the Derby-Manchester 201(?) service. Part of the interest was the vehicle, a Leyland single-decker (precise model not remembered) with no driver's cab and the well-used gear lever in sight. Is there still a regular Buxton-Leek run?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Like @TheGrandWazoo, I too have been travelling round the Welsh Valleys by bus. My wife and I spent the Jubilee Holiday weekend with our children who both live in Cardiff. This gave me an opportunity to go off by myself to experience some of the more scenic bus routes in South Wales. Although Cardiff Bus ran a Saturday service on holiday Thursday and Friday, Stagecoach only ran a Sunday service so the only practical day for my trip was Saturday 4 June 2022. As I live in another part of the country served by Stagecoach, I know enough about the Stagecoach website to go to the “Offers & Promos” page to find up to date timetable information. Using Cardiff as a search area I learned that there would be service changes on 29 May 2022. Fortunately, the page included a list of services, split by area, with the date of the latest timetable for each one. This helped ensure I was looking at the correct version for the date of my trip. By contrast, the Cardiff Bus website is way ahead of most others in terms of its ease of use.

The weather forecast at the start of the holiday was for Saturday to generally fine and warm. However, by Friday it had changed to being seriously wet and I feared I would have to abandon my plans. Nevertheless, I rose early to find it was dry with a better, if not brilliant, day forecast. So, I set off in light drizzle for the short walk from my daughter’s home in the inner-city Cardiff suburb of Canton to the nearest bus stop on Cowbridge Road East.

07:56 ‘Radnor Court’ Cardiff Bus 351 (YT10 UWJ) Scania Omnidekka on route 17 to City Centre.
Whilst I am sorry that the bendybuses which ran on route 17 & 18 have now gone, this ex-Nottingham Omnidekka was a worthy, if not much younger, replacement. The driver was not fazed by being asked for the concessionary rate South East Wales Network Rider ticket available to holders of English and Scottish bus passes and charged me the expected £5.50.

Cardiff Council have been carrying out extensive, every changing and very long-winded road works in the area where most buses from Canton terminate so it is always a matter of pot luck as to what route will be taken. This time, the bus dived off the direct route to the city centre and ran along the west bank of the River Taff to Wood Street and then along a diversionary route which took us under a corner of the Millennium Stadium to terminate in Westgate Street. I had allowed some slack in my plan here so was able to indulge in some photography, including the new building which will, one day, house Cardiff’s long awaited new bus station.
View attachment 116384

08:30 ‘Cardiff Philharmonic JP’ Stagecoach 26194 (YX67VAK) ADL Enviro 200MMC on route 26 to Blackwood
View attachment 116382
It’s a good thing I know Cardiff well enough to know that Philharmonic JP is stop JP outside a pub in St Mary’s Street. The bus was a Gold Specification, 11.8m version of the E200 so had comfortable “leather” seating, USB chargers and may have had WiFi. It also had rattles. Everything seemed to rattle. We rattled along Wood Street. We rattled under the Stadium and we rattled up Westgate Street. We rattled past Cardiff Castle up North Road past fine Civic and University buildings to Gabalfa Interchange (a major 3 level road junction) where we diverted off the main road to rattle round the grounds of Cardiff’s main hospital to drop off one of our three passengers. We rattled out of the hospital to rattle along a residential road back to Gabalfa Interchange to gain the main A470 road out of town. We rattled along at a good speed past 1920’s semis which would command a good price if they were not on a busy dual carriageway. We reached Coryton Interchange (a 3-level motorway junction) where the speed limit now allowed us to rattle along even faster for a mile or two before we turned off the main road to rattle through Taffs Well. This was a mixture of terrace housing and commercial premises (including Ferris Coaches). At Nantgarw, we crossed the A470 to rattle towards Caerphilly. We picked up a steady trickle of passengers along the way before arriving in Caerphilly town centre where I alighted. The bus rattled off in the direction of Caerphilly Interchange (a bus station next to a train station).

I had about 10 minutes to wait here so I went for wander around in a bitingly cold wind. A quick glance around a shopping centre suggested that Caerphilly had a good range of shops. However, the town’s crowning glory is its magnificent castle with moat and parkland. After taking a few photos in difficult lighting conditions I returned to the town centre for my next bus.
View attachment 116383

09:34: ‘Castle Court Bandstand’ Stagecoach 36841 (CN13 AXO) ADL Enviro 200 on route 50 to Bargoed.
Route 50 is billed as running from Newport via Caerphilly to Bargoed. However, it seems that, in practice, it is split at Caerphilly with the 2 halves running separately (rather than as a drivers’ hours fudge). The bus was a 10.8m second generation version E200 with the emergency door in the lower level. It had Stagecoach standard seats which are adequately comfortable. I prefer the bright blue moquette to the dark leather of the Gold buses. It was noticeably less rattly than the Gold bus but, after I had taken my favoured first high level seat on the nearside, I found the my window was covered in Contravision. Naughty Stagecoach!

The bus was not busy leaving Caerphilly so early on a Saturday morning and those that were on board alighted within the town. The route was, for the most part, built up as we climbed through Llanbradach and Ystrad Mynach. We did however, start to pick up a few passengers as we approached Bargoed. Bargoed has an Interchange. Google maps suggests that this Interchange is a bus station remote from either a train station or the town centre. However, the timetable suggested that the bus would not go there but would terminate at Hanbury Square, which is where I alighted, along with most of the other passengers. The return timetable shows buses starting at Hanbury Square and calling at the Interchange on their way back to Caerphilly. The online timetable was a lightly formatted version of a computer file and little bit more editing would not go amiss. While the bus was loading, I went to see what business was responsible for the Contravision over the window and found it was Stagecoach advertising for engineering staff. Very naughty Stagecoach!

Hanbury Square seemed to be quite busy with buses picking and dropping off passengers. This may be because of the impressive artwork in the middle of the square celebrating the contribution miners have made to the town. On the other hand, it may be because of the large Morrisons supermarket there. By now the weather was cold with heavy drizzle so I sought refuge in Morrisons to use the facilities and to buy a meal deal for later in the day. By the time I came out the drizzle had eased off so I wandered up the High Street for a while. Most of the local shops were shuttered but I did wonder if this was because this Saturday was between two bank holidays and Sunday so the shopkeepers had decided to take the opportunity of having four days off. Others were fast food take aways which probably would not normally open in the morning. I wandered back to Hanbury Square to await the arrival of my next bus from the Interchange.

10:31 ‘Hanbury Square’ Stagecoach 35196 (CN56 EXM) Pointer Dart on route 1 to Merthyr Tydfil.
View attachment 116385I had hoped that this bus would be one of Stagecoach’s small fleet of wheel forward Wright Streetlites which is based in Merthyr Tydfil. Whilst the exterior of the Dart was showing its age, the interior was in very good condition and it rattled no more than most other buses. We set off with one other passenger and headed up the east side of the Rhymney Valley to serve New Tredegar. It was here we encountered a Streetlite heading towards Bargoed from Merthyr Tydfil on service 3 which interworks with service 1. The route was uphill and, as we climbed, views of wild open countryside came into view. We continued climbing till we reached Tir-Phil station where we did two sharp left turns across the railway bridge to head back down the other side of the valley back towards Bargoed. The road coming up had not been wide but this road was narrower so we spent time negotiating parked cars and oncoming traffic. It was along here that my fellow passenger alighted. The road was built up most of the way but with views of the mountains above New Tredegar. We returned almost back to Bargoed before striking back uphill to Deri with its typical rows of terrace housing and then on through increasing open and mountainous countryside to Fochriw. There we did a circuit round a modern (ie built during the Queen’s reign) housing estate before heading onto even more open country with cattle grids and sheep.
View attachment 116386

View attachment 116387There is a map on the Stagecoach Promos and Offers page about the changes to the Merthyr Tydfil buses from 29 May 2022 which suggests the service 1 heads direct to Merthyr from Fochriw. This is not what the timetable says and the bus followed the timetable though Pontlottyn to Rhymney. We started picking up passengers along this stretch of road, every one of whom seemed to know everyone else. By the time we had left Rhymney, the bus was pretty much full. We climbed back out of the Rhymney Valley up to the new Heads of the Valleys Road which we crossed to follow the old road. Again, we were high up with open views though there was some evidence of open cast mining. We called in to an out-of-town Asda store where our progress was impeded by a queue for petrol. We then dropped down into Merthyr Tydfil, which turned out to be a bigger place than I had expected.

In my planning, I had allowed for a 6 minutes connection at Merthyr Tydfil’s new bus station and the bus I was on was now a minute or two late. As we pulled into the bus station, I could see my next bus on its stand with passengers already on board. I made sure I was first off the bus and through the automatic door onto the concourse. I made my way quickly to my next bus and jumped aboard. Had I not made the connection, I would not have been a problem as all the buses I was planning to use ran at least hourly it would have been easy to drop back an hour and carry on. As it was, I had no time to experience the delights of Merthyr Tydfil and its quite smart looking new bus station.

11:50 ‘Merthyr Tydfil Bus Station’ Stagecoach 47856 (CN13 CZC) Optare Solo SR on route 6 to Aberdare
This journey turned out to be something of a puzzle. When planning it, I came across several enigmatic timing points on routes in the area. Names like “Hungry Bear” and “Clock” do nothing to dispel the idea that local buses are only for use by locals. Anyway, as far as I could see, this bus would follow the Heads of the Valleys Road west out of Merthyr Tydfil before heading south across, what appeared on the map to be, high open country to Aberdare. The journey started off as expected with a call at Cyfarthfa Shopping Park, a collection of retail sheds occupied by many big national retailers. We then headed out of town and along the Heads of the Valleys Road. This road is being upgraded so we were in continuous road works zone with a 40mph speed limit. However, the bus did not turn south but carried on through open hilly countryside and eventually turned off into Hirwaun. We did a circuit of the town and passed an impressive clock, which may have answered my timing point query. In due course, we passed a ‘Road Ahead Closed’ sign and came to a closed road. We doubled back through Hirwaun and onto the Heads of the Valleys Road which we followed for short distance back towards Merthyr Tydfil. We then turned right and headed south towards Aberdare via an unremarkable, generally built-up route. This did, at least, produce some trade for the bus. I am something of a fan of the Optare Solo and this one seemed ideally suited to the route giving a quiet, smooth ride with few rattles. We eventually arrived in Aberdare Bus Station about 10 minutes later than I had expected. As I got off, I spotted a notice in the bus suggesting that buses in Hirwaun were being be diverted because of road closures. There was not time to read it properly and I have been unable to find it on-line.
View attachment 116388

13:00 ‘Aberdare Bus Station’ Stagecoach 28737 (YN15 KGO) Scania N230UB/ADL Enviro 300 on Route 172 to Porthcawl
Aberdare has a large, if simple, bus station with toilets. My next bus had arrived but was not yet boarding, so I took the opportunity to sit on a bench and eat my lunch while the driver adjusted his seat and mirrors and carried out a full walk round check of the vehicle. When he was ready, he rolled the bus forward on to the stand and the small group of passengers boarded. All the drivers I encountered on this trip were aware of the Network Rider ticket, but this driver also wanted to see my ENCTS pass to go with it. The bus was a superior vehicle with high backed, blue moquette covered seats and lap seatbelts. I took my favoured first raised seat on the nearside though there were seats behind that were higher. The bus also boasted a single seat facing forward above the nearside front wheel. This would have provided a commanding view of the road ahead but there was a moquette covered pad at eye height on the glass panel in front.
View attachment 116390
We left on time and, after stopping in Victoria Square to pick up some more passengers, we were soon climbing out of town. The road initially was fairly straight and lined with houses and associated on street parking which delayed our progress at times. As the built-up area ended, the road started climbing steeply through a succession of hairpin bends to open country atop Maerdy Mountain. The Scania coped with all this without any fuss. The engine rumbled away smoothly and whatever gear changes may have occurred were all smooth. There were very few rattles. All in all, a very superior bus.
View attachment 116391
No sooner had we reached the top than we started the descent into Maerdy where there was a crowd of people waiting at Maerdy Court. Very few joined us so were no doubt waiting for one of the other buses serving this stop. After Maerdy, the route became almost continuously built up along the valley of the Afon Rhondda Fach through the settlements of Ferndale and Tylorstown, although open country was always in view on the hills above. At Tylorstown the route turned steeply up the side of the valley to serve the 1960s hilltop community of Penrhys before dropping down the valley of the Afon Rhondda at Ystrad and then on to Tonypandy. I could have stayed on the bus to Bridgend or even Porthcawl and made my way back to Cardiff on a First bus. However, I had other commitments later in the day so I alighted at Tonypandy bus station to await my bus direct back to Cardiff.

14:00 ‘Tonypandy Bus Station’ Stagecoach 27690 CN60 CVH ADL Enviro 300 on route 122 to Cardiff
Tonypandy bus station is a simple affair with a few bus shelters either side of a road on one side of an open square behind the Pandy Inn. I only had a short time to wait there so there was not time to explore the town. I did, however, spot a Stagecoach Mercedes Sprinter operating a Fleccsi service. The Enviro 300 had Stagecoach standard bus seats, which are adequately comfortable. However, my favoured first seat the high level had literally no leg room. What I can only assume was the rear wheelarch came right up to the underside of the seat cushion and was about a seat and half wide. I cannot see how anyone could sit there. I moved a seat back where the intrusion was less. Whoever signed off the design of the bus obviously never had to travel on it. Apart from that it was a good bus with few rattles.
View attachment 116394
The route from Tonypandy to Cardiff broadly follows the A4119 but deviates from it to serve communities that are by-passed by the main road. As my journey took place during the Jubilee celebrations, houses decorated with bunting had featured all along the route. However, this last leg of the journey saw this taken to a new level with whole streets decorated as part of an obvious community effort. The route is built-up most of the way with the architecture subtly changing as the road drops down from the hills. We called at the Royal Glamorgan Hospital without needing to stop and reached Talbot Green with its retail park and small bus station. By now, the weather was blue skies and sunshine, though still windy. Passing through a picturesque part of Miskin near the Miskin Arms we met an oncoming bus on a very tight corner but we were able to pass it at very low speed. The road then takes on a more rural nature till it crosses the M4, after which, much is changing. Here Cardiff is expanding in a big way with massive housing estates being built, though there is no sign of any bus ways, tramlines or railways being built to help the residents reach Cardiff without driving on roads which are already congested. When we reached the Cardiff border, the bus diverted to serve Danescourt, an area also served by Cardiff bus. Perhaps Stagecoach are trying to serve a market for people working out of the city in places like the industrial estates of Llantrisant. After all, money is quite literally made there. After the bus had passed through Llandaff (a city within a city) it was time for me to bail out at ‘Opp Howells School’ from where it was a short walk back to my daughter’s home.

This is the first day I have spent out bus riding for very many years and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The weather could have been kinder but the buses all turned up when they were supposed to and provided a good vantage point to explore an unfamiliar part of the country.
Hi @padbus and apologies for not responding sooner. Apart from the weather, I think you've probably done the best day out in the Valleys in terms of a geographic loop. I do prefer descending into Aberdare from Maerdy but then again, I think the climb up to Fochriw is best done the way you did it. Bit disappointed in your Gold e200mmc - they were really quite nice but I did notice mine was looking a bit careworn at a tender age but it didn't rattle as much as yours evidently did.

I did wonder about the 122 being diverted around Danescourt. Not certain whether it really should be a faster service but they will have done their sums. Glad you enjoyed yourself

RELL6L

Glad to hear that @RELL6L is enjoying himself in Iceland and so has a good reason for being a bit quieter than usual. It's a fabulous country - truly a place I'd go back to in a heartbeat.

Thank you - now returned from Iceland - absolutely superb holiday and incredible scenery - but barely a bus in sight so not a topic for here.

I have read with interest the two current and one historical report of trips to the South Wales valleys. I agree the 172 is outstanding between Aberdare and Maerdy and it is indeed not a tourist route but the 'most scenic' - subjective of course on what is the most scenic and what is non-tourist - I think I respectfully beg to differ on this but not with a view to arguing as to what is! Regarding REs in the valleys I do recall Parfitts of Rhymney Bridge had a fleet and ran the Bargoed-Rhymney bridge-Merthyr Routes, probably late 1980s, and I travelled on a couple of them.
Re. the point upthread about scenic nontourist routes, many years ago I took the PMT Sheffield-Hanley service between Buxton and Leek. There were spectacular changes of level and distant views, and the weird rock formation of the Roaches was notable. Quite a change from upmarket Buxton to workaday Leek, which was merely a change point onto the Derby-Manchester 201(?) service. Part of the interest was the vehicle, a Leyland single-decker (precise model not remembered) with no driver's cab and the well-used gear lever in sight. Is there still a regular Buxton-Leek run?

There is still a regular Buxton-Leek run. D&G 16 runs 4 journeys from Buxton and 3 from Leek Mon-Fri (looks like the first run into Buxton is a school or college contract but surprising it doesn't run in service in the holidays) and on Saturdays the D&G 108 runs 3 journeys each way. A service hanging on by its fingertips although when I took it in autumn 2020 it had a good load - maybe because it was a sunny day.

Now a new report from me on a trip I made on Wednesday:

I hadn’t been out for a trip since April with holidays and other commitments. My previous trip was my 250th trip and quite ambitious and I was content for number 251 to be nearer home and more straightforward. Having just returned from 3 weeks in Iceland I was not really expecting to be heading out this week either but with the good weather forecast I decided I could not miss out. Planning included allowance for the rail strikes as I considered the potential impact on bus routes, thus ruling out a number of my potential trips. Although great weather on the day and very scenic it didn’t work out quite as planned!

I started in the small Dorset town of Sturminster Newton. Driving down the A303 I saw many cars with people heading to Glastonbury but I was not going to this area. Stonehenge was clear, this being the day after the summer solstice, no sign of any druids.

I don’t believe Sturminster Newton has ever been blessed with many frequent bus routes but it does now have the X4 to Gillingham with five journeys a day run by South West Coaches and the X10 roughly every two hours between Yeovil, Sherborne, Sturminster Newton and Blandford run by First Buses of Somerset, and that was where I intended to start. There are supposed to be two X10 buses heading west at 7.57, one from Blandford towards Yeovil, which I wished to catch, and another one looking like a duplicate from Shillingstone just to the school. No sign of the duplicate though - from BusTimes this appears to actually miss out half the villages and the town to run straight to the school, presumably then onto contract work as I can’t believe its morning’s work would be done by 8.00. The one I wanted did turn up though, First E200 44639 in smart two-tone green colours. Many school children but they all got off at the school leaving four of us as we started wending our way through the villages, rising gradually to about ten as we approached Sherborne, on time, where I disembarked at 8.50. Sherborne is a delightful town with beautiful gold coloured stone buildings including the abbey and many buildings related to the school.

The next step was to Dorchester via Cerne Abbas on the South West Coaches X11. I had been this way before in 2014, then with Damory Coaches and numbered 216, and the bus overheated and was delayed for about 45 minutes while a fitter arrived with a high-tech watering can before we could proceed. As a result I missed out on exploring Poundbury, so I was hoping for better. It was not to be! When I arrived at Sherborne I looked at BusTimes and it showed the inward journey to Yeovil, due through Sherborne at 8.05, still had not made it to the town, it had been virtually stationery since about 8.00 and my first thought that it had broken down. I thought there might be a delay but perhaps a new vehicle would appear from Yeovil. But at 9.15, with the bus due at 9.17, nothing had changed, no sign of my journey, so I consulted South West Coaches’ website and then Twitter. Their Twitter feed said that due to a road accident just outside Sherborne my journey would be starting down the road at Longburton at 9.24 – no good for me. I guess if the bus had turned round where it was, still waiting to pass the scene of the accident, that might have been possible, but presumably it was actually full of school children heading for school in Sherborne. It seems the accident was quite bad, the bus did get through northbound but soon after the road was closed - the bus arrived at the Gryphon School in Sherborne around 90 minutes late at 10.03. It then went to Yeovil and resumed service southbound at Cerne Abbas at 11.01, about 75 minutes late!

Usually I have a plan B in case of late running and cancellations, particularly later in the day, but there simply was no plan B here. In hindsight I could have rushed back up to the A30 stop and got the 58 to Yeovil at 9.25 and then a train south but I didn’t know the details in time to work that through in time, and I would still have been late. So I rang a couple of taxi companies and one said they could pick me up in 20 minutes. I knew it would be expensive but having taken the day and driven down it seemed to me that I should swallow hard, pay what it cost and get on with my trip. There was another lady waiting at Sherborne and I asked if she wanted to come with me, which she did, but I couldn’t expect her to contribute as she wouldn’t have paid on the bus. The taxi had to take a long way round via the A37 due to the road closure, to my surprise the driver was not using any SatNav, he knew about the accident and knew the local roads but I gave advice on which route appeared quickest. He was amiably chatty as was my companion and we arrived at the Top of the Town in Dorchester only about 5 minutes after the bus should have done. That’s where I stopped paying so the lady got out too and I saw she then got a bus further into the town. I hope she got back to Sherborne OK as the route was in chaos for some time!

Meanwhile I crossed the road to the westbound stop and got my intended journey on the Damory 6 to Poundbury. The driver was rather surprised to be asked for a £9.50 Explorer ticket on such a short route but he sold me one and I got off at Queen Mother Square. I was pleased to note that the bus was quite busy with shoppers, although Wednesday is Dorchester market day. I never intended to spend time in Dorchester on this visit although I do like the town.
Instead, as I had not been to Poundbury for some time, I wanted to see how it had developed. It’s all on Google Maps of course but that’s not the same as being there, so I had planned out a walking route which I followed round, visiting some of the squares and more unusual buildings. I still think this is a fabulous town architecturally and it does now seem to have acquired the critical mass to be a proper community with shops, services and open air cafes. Inevitably more space is devoted to cars than when I was there previously but they haven’t yet made it feel unpleasant. I suspect the age profile is higher than average with fewer family groups but I don’t know. My route ended up at Mansell Square, on the edge of the town, where the First 10 terminates.

My next trip was on the First 10 through Dorchester to Weymouth. When this was ‘relaunched’ a few years ago it was every 10 minutes, reduced progressively to every 12, every 15 and now every 20 minutes. It was well patronised and I thought a £4 fare through to Weymouth was very reasonable. The route did appear to be running reliably with all the buses pretty much on time, as it should do with 16 minutes stand time at Weymouth and 4 minutes at Poundbury on a 100 minute cycle, although on busy days maybe it is more challenged. The journey before had been a decker but mine was 69542, a 12-reg Volvo B7RLE. These are good solid buses and at 10 years old it should have been smooth and quiet, which it was. I would suggest these vehicle are likely to substantially outlive Streetlites of a similar age. Passengers boarded and alighted frequently along the route. One feels that First are probably making good money on this route and the danger is they will now relax and custom will drift slowly away as it ought really to be more frequent. I love Weymouth and have visited the town many times. The 41 minutes I had here was my longest gap between journeys and enough time to buy some lunch and make it down to the quayside, although not over to the far side. The road where the train used to run down the street has been refreshed and it is now a really lovely area. I would go back again very happily and love to have enough time to go further. The bridge was up when I arrived and there were crowds watching the boats go through.

Now it was time to go on a journey where there is real on-the-road competition! For my timing, taking account of rail strikes etc, the best option for me was the More 30, following in the tracks of the First X54 as far as Wareham. When I last went this way no-one had thought of going via Lulworth Cove but now they all do. My bus arrived at the Kings Statue and was 1107, a Scania OmniCity double decker in standard More colours. A decent crowd alighted from the arriving journey, it should have been behind a First X54 but the X54 was running about 15 minutes late so presumably the 30 took the passengers. However I was the only passenger to start the eastbound journey and remained alone until we got to Lulworth Cove where we were joined by a few more. The More 31 was also on stand at Lulworth Cove, this runs hourly between school runs, connecting with weekday train times at Wool, with a completely different Sunday timetable to connect with the Sunday train timetable. Unfortunately the trains (this was a between-strikes day) were running to a Sunday timetable so the 31 was pretty useless. We saw the 31 again at Wool and the drivers compared notes, this time there were some passengers waiting for it from a delayed train. The journey was very scenic through lovely Dorset countryside and, although it isn’t possible to see Durdle Door or Lulworth Cove from the bus, it is still lovely country. We met a First X52 open-topper on its way from Monkey World to Weymouth and this seemed to have quite a few on the top deck.

My plan A at Wareham had been to take the 30 into the town and then walk back to catch the train to Poole at 14.20, this being the between-strike timetable. If this had not worked, plan B was to get the 40 from Wareham at 14.38 and run later for the rest of the trip. However there was a plan A+ which was that my 30 arrived at Wareham Station (before going to the town) at 13.43 and there is a 40 to Poole at 13.42. My 30 was early and the 40 was 6 minutes late so this worked beautifully. I didn’t get to Wareham town but I have been there before and in fact I had not taken the 40 between Wareham and Poole. Not a desperately attractive route except perhaps alongside part of Poole Harbour coming into town, and quite slow along the main road through Sandford and then up past the holiday parks. My steed for this journey was Morebus 1412, a Scania N230UD with Optare Olympus body in classic Hants and Dorset colours. The paintwork looked good but I was not impressed with the bus. I have been a fan of Scanias since the Metropolitan hit the streets of London in 1975 and have been on some Omnidekkas recently which seemed sturdy and speedy. This was neither with rattles, a very loud engine fan and the engine itself seemed anything but refined especially at tickover. I assume the N230UD has a smaller engine than the N270UD and it was not quick.

We did arrive at Poole still only 6 minutes late. I like Poole but the best bits are at the harbour which is some way from the bus station and I didn’t have time for that, just venturing out through the soulless shopping centre to the High Street where the level crossing was closed for the train I would have caught from Wareham on plan A. Returning to Poole Bus Station I was surprised to see a double decker on the m2 and even more surprised when I realised it was 1407, a Scania open-topper, seemingly on an all-day diagram on the normally single-deck m2! Some allocations did seem to be rather random with a New Forest tour liveried B7TL open-topper on the 60.

On from Poole was on the Damory X8 to Blandford. I’m not sure what the Damory distinction is here as the vehicles on the route seem to be entirely Morebus ones. Maybe the drivers just get paid less! I had done this before but since then the route has become mostly double deck operated, my vehicle being Scania Omnicity double decker 1142. This seemed better than the Optare Olympus version although these are very ugly from the rear, with the square number-plate between two narrow windows. I had a 27 minute connection at Blandford and was quite relaxed as we set off promptly and briskly. Then we stopped near Beacon Hill, the driver got out, made a phone call and announced that he had a brake warning light appear on the dash and he was awaiting instructions. This was not good. But 10 minutes later he was duly called back with instructions, he checked something to everyone’s satisfaction and off we went. Then in Sturminster Marshall we were delayed by a badly parked Co-Op lorry ably assisted by badly parked cars and badly driven ones, so were further delayed. But with some further spirited driving we did make it to Blandford only 12 minutes down so I had 15 minutes to see the town centre. Blandford Forum is actually an attractive town with some good Georgian buildings but unfortunately I didn’t have time to venture further.

Finally back to the First X10 back to Sturminster Newton, this time on E200 44932, again in smart green colours. This bus seems to be second or third hand, ex Ace Travel and MCT in Manchester. An odd journey in that the incoming bus arrives at the town centre having picked up at Blandford Upper School, then runs past the centre to turn round, waits time and returns, still with school children on board. A few new passengers boarded at the town centre stop then all the children alighted at Durweston, the first village on the route. The buses wended its way through other villages, quite pleasant but nothing outstanding, back to Sturminster Newton where my day finished at 16.33. I returned home via Shaftesbury to take a picture of Hovis Hill with the sun in the right direction – the town seemed very quiet compared to previous visits.

I thought First Buses of Somerset was very expensive on the X10, each leg was £6.20, but perhaps these fares are set by the county council. Just not enough to justify a day ticket at £13 though. The 10 seemed good value at £4 and all the Morebus and Damory Coaches journeys were on a £9.50 explorer, definitely good value. The taxi – don’t go there! A tiring day as it was quite hot and not exactly as intended but enjoyable nonetheless.

My allotted 10 pictures:

A1 Sturminster Newton.JPG
Sturminster Newton

A2 Sherborne.JPG
Sherborne

A3 Poundbury.JPG
Poundbury

A4 Weymouth.JPG
Weymouth

A5 Weymouth.JPG
Weymouth

A6 near Osmington.JPG
Dorset countryside near Osmington
A7 Descending into Lulworth village.JPG
Approaching Lulworth

A8 West Lulworth.JPG
West Lulworth

A9 Blandford Forum.JPG
Blandford Forum

A10 Shaftesbury.JPG
Gold Hill, Shaftesbury

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Thanks @RELL6L - I won't worry about what constitutes a tourist route nor what's scenic. All in the eye of the beholder :D

Sorry to hear you had a bit of a 'mare in darkest Dorset. These things tend to happen in the worst places - I had to get a taxi from Abergavenny to Chepstow when I was equally snookered.

Lovely photos as always, and those are routes I know very well. I had a day on the last days of Damory in mid Dorset before they lost most of their work and that included the Sherborne to Dorchester route as well as a trip to Sturminster Newton - a nice enough place that never really seemed to get over the loss of its railway. Oddly, it probably has better bus services now than historically though a drop from the position of the 2000s as council cuts have been made. I also had a trip on the X8 that day (2017?) and it was solidly More rather than Damory but wonder if it's a reflection of staffing issues in Pimperne?

It's sad that the 10 has declined to a 20 min headway but perhaps be thankful for small mercies; the decline in First's Weymouth network is even more concerning. However, they have done a lot in terms of the Jurassic and Portland tourism market and hopefully, they'll have a good year and I'm aiming to have a trip down at some point this summer. Last year's trip saw my X52 trips worked by an e400 rather than an open topper so would be nice to feel the wind through my fair as we sweep down into Abbotsbury! I have been to Poundbury and it's interesting but a bit like Stepford in some respects... some overly idealised and stylised model town.

I won't be near 250 trips but always good to hear your reports, and glad you liked Iceland. :D

RELL6L

Thanks @RELL6L - I won't worry about what constitutes a tourist route nor what's scenic. All in the eye of the beholder :D

Sorry to hear you had a bit of a 'mare in darkest Dorset. These things tend to happen in the worst places - I had to get a taxi from Abergavenny to Chepstow when I was equally snookered.

Lovely photos as always, and those are routes I know very well. I had a day on the last days of Damory in mid Dorset before they lost most of their work and that included the Sherborne to Dorchester route as well as a trip to Sturminster Newton - a nice enough place that never really seemed to get over the loss of its railway. Oddly, it probably has better bus services now than historically though a drop from the position of the 2000s as council cuts have been made. I also had a trip on the X8 that day (2017?) and it was solidly More rather than Damory but wonder if it's a reflection of staffing issues in Pimperne?

It's sad that the 10 has declined to a 20 min headway but perhaps be thankful for small mercies; the decline in First's Weymouth network is even more concerning. However, they have done a lot in terms of the Jurassic and Portland tourism market and hopefully, they'll have a good year and I'm aiming to have a trip down at some point this summer. Last year's trip saw my X52 trips worked by an e400 rather than an open topper so would be nice to feel the wind through my fair as we sweep down into Abbotsbury! I have been to Poundbury and it's interesting but a bit like Stepford in some respects... some overly idealised and stylised model town.

I won't be near 250 trips but always good to hear your reports, and glad you liked Iceland. :D
Thanks for your comments. These things happen - just have to deal with them and make the best of the circumstances. As I said I normally have a plan to cover no-shows etc, fairly necessary in the current climate, but I didn't here.
I forgot - another couple of pictures, bus-related. The first one is mainly of a notice stating that there are no buses kept in the kiosk overnight! The second is the X52 open-topper we passed on the way to Lulworth.

A11 Weymouth.JPGA12 X52 bus.JPG

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Thanks for your comments. These things happen - just have to deal with them and make the best of the circumstances. As I said I normally have a plan to cover no-shows etc, fairly necessary in the current climate, but I didn't here.
I forgot - another couple of pictures, bus-related. The first one is mainly of a notice stating that there are no buses kept in the kiosk overnight! The second is the X52 open-topper we passed on the way to Lulworth.

View attachment 116653View attachment 116654
I'd heard about the kiosk on the Esplanade. A very good move and something lacking since they moved from the travel office which is now a shop selling tourist tat.

Decent load on the top deck of the open topper! I've loved travelling in that area since my first visit there in 1991. Never tire of places like Dorchester and Weymouth though getting to Lulworth etc is a relatively recent development.

Last edited:

Ken H

On Moderation
Trip date 20th June 2022
I like taking buses over high routes. And this was my first day out with my ENCTS pass.
I have used thumbnails. Click em for the full image

I drove to Utley (Between Steeton and Keighley) to start my trip. First bus into Keighley was FJ08BZT, a Volvo B7RLE with wright body, new to Keighley and District in April 2008. I was only on a few stops so didn't really notice much on the bus. The 62 is the Keighley - Ilkley bus
IMG_0238_crop.jpg

Got off at the terminus, the well appointed Keighley Bus Station. Nearly 100% Transdev. Just Jacksons of Silsden encroaching.

Nipped for a little shopping then the 1405 the B3 to Hebden Bridge. It was K100TDV, a Volvo B7RLE Wright Eclipse, new 2005. Impossible to get pix in the Bus Stn at Keighley. We set off up the Worth Valley reasonably loaded. we then dove off the main road to wriggle through the narrow streets in Haworth and Oxenhope, not made easier by road works. After we left Oxenhope to start the climb up over the moors, we were down to 3 all on ENCTS I think. The bus did the steep hill out of Oxenhope with no trouble and then over the moors with nice views over the Pennines. Summit of the road is at the delightfully named cock Hill at 432m (1417ft) above sea level, where one bloke got off with a rucksac. Nice day for a walk, I think. Nobody got off as we descended into the Calder valley via Pecket Well and into Hebden Bridge. I got off at Albert Street in Hebden Br, as did the other passenger. Here is the bus pulling away in Albert St.
Bus had a display showing the next stop, the system also announced each stop, and it was fitted with USP chargers. And the driver sang all the way.
IMG_0239_crop.jpg

Time for a coffee in the Watergate tea rooms (no sign of Nixon) then find a bus to Halifax
Found the bus shelter where the Halifax buses went from. It was equipped with this:-

Continuation of above piece
This is the display at Hebden Bridge
IMG_0241_crop.jpg
591 is a Burnley - Halifax route, as is 592. 590 is Halifax - Rochdale.

IMG_0245_crop.jpg
SN14TVJ is a First Enviro 400 new June 2014. No USB, no passenger information system. And buy did it rattle going over the bumps in the road. But a pleasant enough ride down the Calder valley. It was a poor specimen compared to the far older Wright Eclipse that had brought me from Keighley.
I got to Halifax just in time to miss the 502 so had an hours wait in Halifax town centre just as everything was shutting. But I wondered round. so not all bad.
The 1723 to Keighley was late incoming. It was YK08ERV, an Optare Solo M950. Another bus with no passenger info or USB.

It did get out of Halifax then did a loop round estates in Illingworth. But it was reasonably busy with people getting on and off, some short journies. On through Denholme, and then the detour into Cullingworth, then we followed a 57 all the way to keighley, so no new passengers. Not many buses from Cullingworth. Surely they could be staggered a bit?
Back down the Worth valley into Keighley bus station to find a bus back to Utley. It was a black double decker on the 62 to Ilkley. PL51LDX, a Volvo B7TL with Plaxton body, new to London General in Feb 2002.

Has to be said the all bus drivers were friendly and helpful.

Nice day out

Attachments

• IMG_0249_crop.jpg
    IMG_0249_crop.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9

ChrisC

Established Member
Last week I had a 6 night stay at the Best Western Angel Hotel in Chippenham. A bit pricey but lovely room, nice hotel, in a good location. This was booked in advance as the reason for the stay was an annual meet up with friends from college days in Derby in the 1970's. We were meeting up at The National Arboretum at Westonbirt. Originally I had planned to travel down by train and make use of a 7 Day Severn and Solent Rover whilst there although that was always going to mean asking someone to give me a lift from Chippenham to Westonbirt as there's not much options of public transport. The other idea was to travel down by car and then just do 4 days of trips out by train from Chippenham using Day Returns. As things worked out the week that I was to be there, was also the week of the rail strikes, so everything changed.

I drove down to Chippenham from Nottinghamshire via the M1, M69 and Fosse Way. The journey took me little more than 3 hours in both directions. Much shorter than the 5 hours plus is was going to take me by train due to EMR reduced timetables on my local line resulting in poor connections at the Nottingham end of the journey. This has become the case with so many rail journeys that I am finding the car far more attractive.

Once in Chippenham, apart from the day at Westonbirt, I left my car in the hotel car park and enjoyed the other 4 days exploring Wiltshire by bus. I had read in this forum about the excellent value Wiltshire Day Rover bus ticket and decided to make use of it. On doing a bit of research I found that there was an even better value version of this ticket at only £6.30 for over 60's. Very useful for people like myself who are over 60 but have not yet reached bus pass age. On all 4 days my first bus from Chippenham Bus station, less than 2 minutes walk from my hotel, was operated by Faresaver. I had no problems with the drivers finding and selling me the Over 60's Wiltshire Day Rover and no problems using it on any other Faresaver bus. I did get puzzled looks when I boarded Stagecoach, First and Coachstyle buses but no driver tried to refuse me travel. I did get the feeling that one Stagecoach driver had no idea what it was and I do wonder if I would have found it so easy to buy on a Stagecoach bus.

Day 1
Faresaver X34 from Chippenham to Lacock. I really enjoyed looking around this National Trust Village and visiting the Abbey/House.
Faresaver X34 continued to from Lacock through Melksham and Trowbridge to the end of the route in Frome. I was quite surprised how interesting the centre of Frome is with the steep narrow streets around the church.
Faresaver X34 back from Frome as far as Trowbridge with just enough time to find the bus stop for my next bus to Avebury.
Stagecoach 49 from Trowbridge through Devizes to Avebury. This was a big mistake! Avebury was very crowded with roads blocked and police. It had not occurred to me that it was the Summer Solstice. The Stone Circles at Avebury was somewhere I had wanted to visit but what a day to choose. I decided to move on and return later in the week when it was quiet.
Stagecoach 42 from Avebury to Calne. Bustimes.org and the timetable displayed outside the Red Lion in Avebury both indicate that the 42 goes from the bus stop opposite the Red Lion. The bus arrived at 1605 from Marlborough and stopped outside the Red Lion and I was expecting it to go up the road to turn around. I suddenly noticed that it was indicating to turn right and started to turn right and would not be stopping at the bus stop opposite. Fortunately with running down the road waving my arms at the driver I was able to make him stop for me but there was no explanation or apology. Perhaps the timetable instructions are wrong?
Stagecoach 55 from Calne back to Chippenham.

Day 2
Faresaver 35 from Chippenham to Castle Combe. A lovely village that I had been wanting to visit. The 35 is an infrequent service with only 3 buses a day back to Chippenham. I had almost 2 and a half hours there so plenty of time to explore the village and go for a reasonable length walk down the valley towards the village of Ford. A good walk along the footpath above the river and back along the lane. I was pleased that I had seen castle Combe in the morning when it was quiet because by the time I got back it was full of Japanese tourists with cameras.
Faresaver 35 back from Castle Combe to Chippenham via lots of villages.
Coachstyle 92 from Chippenham to Malmesbury. A good wander around this interesting small town and Abbey Church.
Coachstyle 31 from Malmesbury to Wooten Bassett. I didn't spend any time in Wooten Bassett as I had been out all day and was ready to get back to Chippenham for something to eat and to relax.
Stagecoach 55 back to Chippenham.

Day 3
This was the day to revisit Avebury hopefully and without the crowds including hippies, druids, drum banging and dancing, complete with smells of various substances that I had come across 3 days earlier.
Faresaver 33 from Chippenham to Devizes where I very quickly changed to the Stagecoach 49 to Avebury. I had intended to spend time wandering around Devizes especially as it was Market Day but as the 55 bus was standing there I decided to get on it and call in at Devizes on the way back.
On arrival at Avebury it was very quiet and so I first had a walk around the village and looked inside the church. This was followed by a peaceful wander around the lovely gardens of Avebury Manor. Next I had a good circular walk around the village to see most of the standing stones. This was then followed by an interesting circular walk via Silbury Hill.
Stagecoach 49 back to Devizes and a wander around this historic town which included an interesting visit to the Wiltshire Museum which this summer has a temporary exhibition called 'Thomas Hardy's Wessex'. Following the musuem visit I found a few of the locations used for the 1970s film of Thomas Hardy's Far from the Madding Crowd which brought back memories of my GCSE English Literature in 1975! After that I enjoy a surprisingly good curry and pint of local beer in Wetherspoons.
Faresaver 33 back to Chippenham.

Day 4
Faresaver X31 the short journey from Chippenham to Corsham. I know that this bus runs through to Bath and my Wiltshire Day Rover is valid to Bath but I had visited Bath before and I was heading to Bradford On Avon, a historic town that I had often wanted to visit. I didn't realise what a lovely small town Corsham was and wished that I had allowed a bit longer there.
Faresaver 69 from Corsham to Bradford on Avon via Melksham. Bradford on Avon was an interesting town to visit with lovely old stone building especially in the area around the church. The small Saxon church was also interesting to visit. The town is extremely hilly and sadly the traffic is very busy in the town centre.
First Discover D1 for the short journey from Bradford on Avon to Trowbridge. I had an hour to wander around Trowbridge but apart from a very nice park I didn't find anything else of great interest there. I was going to go on to Warminster but heavy showers were forecast and I had spent a long time in Bradford on Avon.
I decided to get on the Stagecoach 49 and go right through to Swindon as I had not ravelled on that route beyond Avebury. I quite liked the route in that whole area around Avebury with the wide open spaces and chalk downs.
I didn't stop long in Swindon as I wanted to get the Stagecoach 55 back to Chippenham. I was not at all impressed with the area around Swindon Bus station and when I went to find somewhere to get a drink I decided that it wasn't somewhere I would like to be after dark. Certainly the area around Swindon Bus Station and some of the characters roaming around there was equally as grim as any run down town in the north.
Stagecoach 55 from Swindon back to Chippenham which I actually found to be the most uninteresting route of my 4 days in Wiltshire.

The Wiltshire Day Rover, especially in its Over 60's form was excellent value. It only cost me £25.20 for 4 days travel and when I think of the area I covered and the saving in petrol costs and car parking it made me wonder why more people aren't making use of it. Do people know the ticket exists? I did not see it advertised on any bus or at any bus stop. I had read about it in this forum but had to really search hard online to find information and never did manage to get hold of a leaflet. The ease and convenience of using a multi operator ticket like this gave me a taste of the pleasures to come when I get my bus pass in October!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Last week I had a 6 night stay at the Best Western Angel Hotel in Chippenham. A bit pricey but lovely room, nice hotel, in a good location. This was booked in advance as the reason for the stay was an annual meet up with friends from college days in Derby in the 1970's. We were meeting up at The National Arboretum at Westonbirt. Originally I had planned to travel down by train and make use of a 7 Day Severn and Solent Rover whilst there although that was always going to mean asking someone to give me a lift from Chippenham to Westonbirt as there's not much options of public transport. The other idea was to travel down by car and then just do 4 days of trips out by train from Chippenham using Day Returns. As things worked out the week that I was to be there, was also the week of the rail strikes, so everything changed.

I drove down to Chippenham from Nottinghamshire via the M1, M69 and Fosse Way. The journey took me little more than 3 hours in both directions. Much shorter than the 5 hours plus is was going to take me by train due to EMR reduced timetables on my local line resulting in poor connections at the Nottingham end of the journey. This has become the case with so many rail journeys that I am finding the car far more attractive.

Once in Chippenham, apart from the day at Westonbirt, I left my car in the hotel car park and enjoyed the other 4 days exploring Wiltshire by bus. I had read in this forum about the excellent value Wiltshire Day Rover bus ticket and decided to make use of it. On doing a bit of research I found that there was an even better value version of this ticket at only £6.30 for over 60's. Very useful for people like myself who are over 60 but have not yet reached bus pass age. On all 4 days my first bus from Chippenham Bus station, less than 2 minutes walk from my hotel, was operated by Faresaver. I had no problems with the drivers finding and selling me the Over 60's Wiltshire Day Rover and no problems using it on any other Faresaver bus. I did get puzzled looks when I boarded Stagecoach, First and Coachstyle buses but no driver tried to refuse me travel. I did get the feeling that one Stagecoach driver had no idea what it was and I do wonder if I would have found it so easy to buy on a Stagecoach bus.

Day 1
Faresaver X34 from Chippenham to Lacock. I really enjoyed looking around this National Trust Village and visiting the Abbey/House.
Faresaver X34 continued to from Lacock through Melksham and Trowbridge to the end of the route in Frome. I was quite surprised how interesting the centre of Frome is with the steep narrow streets around the church.
Faresaver X34 back from Frome as far as Trowbridge with just enough time to find the bus stop for my next bus to Avebury.
Stagecoach 49 from Trowbridge through Devizes to Avebury. This was a big mistake! Avebury was very crowded with roads blocked and police. It had not occurred to me that it was the Summer Solstice. The Stone Circles at Avebury was somewhere I had wanted to visit but what a day to choose. I decided to move on and return later in the week when it was quiet.
Stagecoach 42 from Avebury to Calne. Bustimes.org and the timetable displayed outside the Red Lion in Avebury both indicate that the 42 goes from the bus stop opposite the Red Lion. The bus arrived at 1605 from Marlborough and stopped outside the Red Lion and I was expecting it to go up the road to turn around. I suddenly noticed that it was indicating to turn right and started to turn right and would not be stopping at the bus stop opposite. Fortunately with running down the road waving my arms at the driver I was able to make him stop for me but there was no explanation or apology. Perhaps the timetable instructions are wrong?
Stagecoach 55 from Calne back to Chippenham.

Day 2
Faresaver 35 from Chippenham to Castle Combe. A lovely village that I had been wanting to visit. The 35 is an infrequent service with only 3 buses a day back to Chippenham. I had almost 2 and a half hours there so plenty of time to explore the village and go for a reasonable length walk down the valley towards the village of Ford. A good walk along the footpath above the river and back along the lane. I was pleased that I had seen castle Combe in the morning when it was quiet because by the time I got back it was full of Japanese tourists with cameras.
Faresaver 35 back from Castle Combe to Chippenham via lots of villages.
Coachstyle 92 from Chippenham to Malmesbury. A good wander around this interesting small town and Abbey Church.
Coachstyle 31 from Malmesbury to Wooten Bassett. I didn't spend any time in Wooten Bassett as I had been out all day and was ready to get back to Chippenham for something to eat and to relax.
Stagecoach 55 back to Chippenham.

Day 3
This was the day to revisit Avebury hopefully and without the crowds including hippies, druids, drum banging and dancing, complete with smells of various substances that I had come across 3 days earlier.
Faresaver 33 from Chippenham to Devizes where I very quickly changed to the Stagecoach 49 to Avebury. I had intended to spend time wandering around Devizes especially as it was Market Day but as the 55 bus was standing there I decided to get on it and call in at Devizes on the way back.
On arrival at Avebury it was very quiet and so I first had a walk around the village and looked inside the church. This was followed by a peaceful wander around the lovely gardens of Avebury Manor. Next I had a good circular walk around the village to see most of the standing stones. This was then followed by an interesting circular walk via Silbury Hill.
Stagecoach 49 back to Devizes and a wander around this historic town which included an interesting visit to the Wiltshire Museum which this summer has a temporary exhibition called 'Thomas Hardy's Wessex'. Following the musuem visit I found a few of the locations used for the 1970s film of Thomas Hardy's Far from the Madding Crowd which brought back memories of my GCSE English Literature in 1975! After that I enjoy a surprisingly good curry and pint of local beer in Wetherspoons.
Faresaver 33 back to Chippenham.

Day 4
Faresaver X31 the short journey from Chippenham to Corsham. I know that this bus runs through to Bath and my Wiltshire Day Rover is valid to Bath but I had visited Bath before and I was heading to Bradford On Avon, a historic town that I had often wanted to visit. I didn't realise what a lovely small town Corsham was and wished that I had allowed a bit longer there.
Faresaver 69 from Corsham to Bradford on Avon via Melksham. Bradford on Avon was an interesting town to visit with lovely old stone building especially in the area around the church. The small Saxon church was also interesting to visit. The town is extremely hilly and sadly the traffic is very busy in the town centre.
First Discover D1 for the short journey from Bradford on Avon to Trowbridge. I had an hour to wander around Trowbridge but apart from a very nice park I didn't find anything else of great interest there. I was going to go on to Warminster but heavy showers were forecast and I had spent a long time in Bradford on Avon.
I decided to get on the Stagecoach 49 and go right through to Swindon as I had not ravelled on that route beyond Avebury. I quite liked the route in that whole area around Avebury with the wide open spaces and chalk downs.
I didn't stop long in Swindon as I wanted to get the Stagecoach 55 back to Chippenham. I was not at all impressed with the area around Swindon Bus station and when I went to find somewhere to get a drink I decided that it wasn't somewhere I would like to be after dark. Certainly the area around Swindon Bus Station and some of the characters roaming around there was equally as grim as any run down town in the north.
Stagecoach 55 from Swindon back to Chippenham which I actually found to be the most uninteresting route of my 4 days in Wiltshire.

The Wiltshire Day Rover, especially in its Over 60's form was excellent value. It only cost me £25.20 for 4 days travel and when I think of the area I covered and the saving in petrol costs and car parking it made me wonder why more people aren't making use of it. Do people know the ticket exists? I did not see it advertised on any bus or at any bus stop. I had read about it in this forum but had to really search hard online to find information and never did manage to get hold of a leaflet. The ease and convenience of using a multi operator ticket like this gave me a taste of the pleasures to come when I get my bus pass in October!
Well, you crammed in a lot in your days and in an area that I know VERY well. You say you found nothing much of interest in Trowbridge... well, you're not wrong. In a county full of interesting towns and villages, Trowbridge is a typical county town and is really quite dull despite some very nice architecture. It's not been well served by some very odd planning decisions that have left a hollowed out town centre strangely bereft of activity. The park is pleasant though albeit in the shadow of the market hall and multi storey that are destined to be redeveloped.

Whilst Lacock and Castle Combe are rightly tourist traps, I'm glad you found love for other places like Corsham - also used for filming as it doubled for Truro in Poldark! It's quite the gem and not immediately apparent as you get off the bus. However, it's the renaissance of Frome that is most intriguing. It was, about 30 years ago, a bit of a dump despite the architecture of Cheap Street (the one with the stream in it) and Catherine Hill (the steep cobbled street with the shops). In that time, it's attracted a number of wealthier people and an all round BoHo vibe - positive in some respects but negative in others. However, from being just like Trowbridge, it is much more vibrant and there's plenty to enjoy. My fave place is Devizes - a stunning town and a great pub crawl. One pub, the Lamb, has a shooting gallery in it and there's many other fine pubs for a pint of Waddies. Add to that the canal and Caen Hill, and the superb market place, it is fantastic

As for the routes themselves, you enjoyed the 49. One of my favourites since first doing it on a single deck, Thamesdown Dennis Falcon. You often see various druids etc in the stone circle at Avebury but you timed it for maximum disruption! Still, it's a great run and I love the open bit from Beckhampton down to Bishops Cannings and then into Devizes. The other routes run through pleasant territory and I'd agree the 55 is a bit dull but otherwise, most are really nice to do.

Glad you had a great time exploring. I'd recommend visiting Wiltshire (and across to Frome) to anyone!

MaidaVale

Excuse the lack of photos in this report, I didn't really think to take many, and it may be slightly different than average as I'm not too familiar with the way this thread works, and this is my first in this post in it.

Today (06/07/22) I decided to go on a "round-robin" style journey across southern Hertfordshire, mostly making use of Arriva Beds & Bucks' "Orbit" day ticket

My day began at the Waltham Cross Bus Station, unique in the fact that it's the only TfL managed bus station that sits outside of the Greater London boundary (admittedly only by about 100 metres) in Hertfordshire. The weather was fairly decent at a pretty steady 23 degrees throughout the day. My initial plan was to board Arriva's service 310 to Hertford Bus Station via Cheshunt, Hoddesden & Ware. I was hoping my service would be operated with the vehicles that are normally used on the route, those being Enviro400MMCs with a fairly decently specified interior (for Arriva's standards). Luckily, as my service pulled into the stand, I was releived to find it was one of these, and not one of the average-spec single deck vehicles (of which I narrowly avoided, as there was one running a Southbound 310 a few services behind mine). Despite my initial relief, I soon discovered the state of the vehicles' interior. From afar, it seems to be an average "sapphire" specified MMC (despite always having been in Interurban livery), although upon boarding I was surprised to see the seats branded with the (slowly dying) Arriva MAX name. Overall the comfort wasn't too bad, although the vehicle could do with some graffiti removal, as it had quite a bit on the interior. The placement of the CCTV display was also rather disapointing, being plastered to the front upperdeck windscreen, which ended up covering a large percentage of the window, instead of its usual "out of the way" placement in front of the stairs. Overall though, the first leg wasn't too bad, although nothing to 'write home' about. (Vehicle: YY16 YJH)

The 310 I ended up getting was an earlier service than the one I had originally planned to get, So I had a longer time than planned until my onward connection (which will be discussed in a minute). I arrived at Hertford Bus Station at around 10am, and I had planned for a bathroom stop before my next connection, although the facilities at the bus station were closed, with a permenant sign saying that they were now under management of the Shopping Centre (of which I beleive to have been getting knocked down at the time), and a more temporary one stating that the nearest open public facilities were at the Hertford Museum. I headed on the 5 minute walk round to the museum, in which a helpful member of staff informed me where the bathrooms were. I shortly exited, and headed back round towards the bus station. Whilst on the way, I spotted a Greggs, and came to the realisation that my next trip would be a very long journey on one vehicle, So it would be best to have a quick snack, and grab a drink for the ride. Despite having got a slightly earlier 310 service, I was for some reason still under the impression in my head that I only had a total of around 30/40 mins in Hertford. I was in the queue in Greggs, and decided to have a glance at Bustimes to see what vehicle my next service (which at the time I was planning to the the 724) would be formed of. After looking at the website, It suddenly occured to me that there was an earlier journey about a minute outside Hertford Bus Station, just pulling in. As the 724 is an hourly service, The most ideal scenario would be to catch this service to avoid waiting an hour for the next. At this point, I was towards the front of the queue, so hurriedly ordered and after getting my food, headed outside and towards the bus station. Bustimes hadn't yet updated the position of the vehicle for a few minutes, So I was hoping that it was still in the bus station in order for me to board, Although alas, upon arrival, I found that it had infact departed. After this realisation sunk in, as well as the further realisation that the next one was in an hours time (even though it was the 724 I had originally intended on getting when planning the route). I had a bit of a walk around Hertford town centre, trying to kill time until the next service. However, Upon sitting down next to a bus stop near a river, I noticed that the service 324 had a departure scheduled for 20 minute time (around half an hour before the next 724), which followed the routing as far as Welwyn Garden City. I decided to head towards the bus station, and catch this service.

Shortly after I arrived into the bus station, The Arriva Herts & Essex service 324 to Welwyn Garden City pulled into the stand, and was set up for its journey. Forming the service was a fairly standard Optare Versa, which still had "Arriva Medway" branding above the windows. Upon boarding the bus, I was greeted with the bog-standard Arriva Versa interior with lowback seats and not much else. The 324 is a fairly quick service to Welwyn, with a section in the middle with not many stops, so I arrived into Welwyn Garden City after a fairly uneventful journey. (Vehicle: KX13 DHF)

After arriving into Welwyn Garden City Bus Station, I had about half an hour or so before the 724 I would have boarded at Hertford pulled in, So I had a breif walk around. Welwyn GC seems like a fairly decent town, Nothing too extravagant yet nothing unpleasant. After around 20 minutes of walking around, I headed back to the bus station for the remaining 10 minutes. At around 1137, the bus pulled in, and I boarded the Arriva Herts & Essex service 724 to Watford Junction via Hatfield, St Albans and Garston. (Service continues to Heathrow Airport after Watford, although I did not do this leg of the route on this day). The vehicle on the route was a Wright Pulsar 2, a common staple for Arriva across the UK, with this particular example being new to Arriva Midlands, and having high-back seats on the interior. The vehicle didn't overly interest me, as I've been on dosens of near identical examples throughout the years, Although at least the high back seating provided a decent level of comfort. The trip took us along the surprisingly busy bus corridor between Welwyn GC and St Albans, with quite a few routes running along the one stretch, before continuing to Watford via Garston. The 724 is a "Greenline" service, serving only limited "principal" stops along the way. The "Greenline" status used to be a lot more prevelant than it is today, with branded Mercedes Citaros running the route, Although it has become more of an "on-paper" title in recent years, with no branding visible on vehicles (although some other Greenline routes like the 757 and the 702 with Reading Buses do have dedicated branded buses and fare structures). It took about an hour and a half (give or take) to get to Watford Junction, arriving just before 1pm. (Vehicle: LK14 FTD)

After a fairly standard bathroom stop and breif walk around Watford (I do have a soft spot for Watford, I find it quite a decent town, Although I won't bore you with the details), I headed to Market Street to board my next service, That being the Arriva Beds & Bucks service 321 to St Albans (service continues to Harpenden and Luton afterwards). This is a route I've been on a number of times previously, with a range of vehicles experienced, although the vehicle on my trip on the route today was a 2014 Wright Streetlite with 'Sapphire' specified interior. The seating was similar to that on the E400MMC I had been on earlier, Although without the MAX names on the headrests, and with (non-functioning) plug sockets for each seat. There was also a display at the front of the vehicle that showed next stop information, although no audio queues were provided. We followed the same routing that the 724 had taken between Watford and St Albans, arriving around 1420. I did spot something fairly comedic during my time in Watford, That being an RATP Enviro 400 with a "Sport" car badge stuck to the rear, clearly as a comedic nod to it being a fast or loud vehicle done by one of the depot staff. I've got a photo of this one, So let me know if you'd like to see it and I'll post it. (Vehicle: FL63 DXC)

I then took half an hour to take a proper walk around St Albans, a lovely town that I've visited a number of times before containing many shops and restaurants. Towards the end of the timefame, I stopped for some food, and then headed to the bus stop to board my next service, That being the Arriva Herts & Essex service 301 to Hatfield Galleria (which continues onto Stevenage Lister Hospital via Welwyn Garden City & Knebworth). The vehicle on this leg was an Alexander Dennis Enviro 300, which is a fairly uncommon vehicle with the group, with very few Arriva examples around the country (most E300s tend to be with Stagecoach). The bus was nothing special comfort-wise, although was fairly novel considering its rarity. The path that the 301 took to Hatfield again followed that of the 724 I had been on earlier in the day, arriving around 1528. (Vehicle: KX09 GYR)

I'll again releive you of the details of my wander around Hatfield Galleria, but explain the choices I had next. My original plan was to take an Uno service 242 direct back to Waltham Cross, with a minimal 25 minute wait in Hatfield, Although for reasons mostly relating to "keeping it interesting", I decided to change my plans, and instead board an Uno service 610 to Potters Bar (which continues to C'fosters). The additional reasoning as to why I picked this service instead will be explained later in the report. The vehicle on the route was an MCV Evora bodied Volvo B8RLE, with a fairly nice (although low-back seated) interior, complete with functional USB ports and a unique "onboard sofa" concept in place of some of the additional tip-up seats. I did have to purchase an additional ticket for this journey, as Arriva tickets are not accepted, Although this extra charge would have been incurred anyway, even if I hadn't changed the plan at the last minute. Overall I was impressed with the service Uno provided, The bus was on time and the interior was quite pleasant, although I do have to add that the driver was somewhat rude, not just to me, but more so to other customers. (Vehicle: LF18 AWP)

It wasn't long before I arrived into Potters Bar, as the 610 doesn't take awfully long from Hatfield. I will now explain the additional reasons I chose to take this route over the 242, those being 1) The vehicle on the route was set to be a bit more interesting on the 610 as opposed to the fairly plain Enviro200 expected on the 242, and 2) I'd be making an onward journey from Waltham Cross using TfL buses anyway after arriving, So utilising the hopper fare, I'd end up paying the same price I would have done anyway, yet cramming in 2 extra routes and vehicles in the process. I'd just missed a bus on the onward route upon arrival into Potters Bar, although with it being a TfL contracted service (despite being right on the outskirts), the next one was within 20 minutes. After a short wait, the Arriva London service 313 to Enfield Town (continues to Chingford Station) arrived, being a Wrightbus New Routemaster vehicle. Seeing an NRM on routes like this is quite novel, and an odd sight outside of the Greater London border, especially considering the route travels through some country-style lanes between Potters Bar and Enfield. I always enjoy trips onboard NRMs, and despite travelling on them fairly regularly, the novelty doesn't easily wear-off. The comfort is quite good for routes under an hour, and the top deck front view is one that's almost unmatched, only slightly beaten by the E400City. (Vehicle: LTZ 1182)

Around half an hour later (slightly delayed due to traffic), I alighted in Enfield Town, eager to get the next possible connection so that the Hopper Fare's hour limit didn't expire, resulting in another fare having to be payed. After a couple of minutes waiting, I boarded my final route of the self-named "Hertfordshire Circular", that being Metroline service 317 to Waltham Cross. The vehicle used was a Wright Gemini 3 bodied Volvo B5LH, which still had some left-over branding on the side from its usage on Route X140 between Harrow and Heathrow in West London. The interior is just a fairly common Metroline one, nothing special. The final arrival time into Waltham Cross was just before half-past six, just beating the Hopper Fare's 60 minute limit for an onward connection. (Vehicle: LK66 EOL)

So that's my first post on this thread, I hope you enjoyed the read, and I hope it fit in with the rest of the thread as much as possible, and if an admin does end up deleting it for any reason, I'd appreciate if you copy-pasted it and sent it to me in a PM prior to doing so, as it took a lot of typing out.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Excuse the lack of photos in this report, I didn't really think to take many, and it may be slightly different than average as I'm not too familiar with the way this thread works, and this is my first in this post in it.
Your post is exactly what we'd expect in a trip report thread, so don't fret!

What we don't want is "I went to Tesco on the 12 today; it was 10 minutes late" ;)

RELL6L

Good reports from West Yorkshire, Wiltshire and Hertfordshire, all interesting, please keep taking trips and posting similar reports.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
So that's my first post on this thread, I hope you enjoyed the read, and I hope it fit in with the rest of the thread as much as possible, and if an admin does end up deleting it for any reason, I'd appreciate if you copy-pasted it and sent it to me in a PM prior to doing so, as it took a lot of typing out.
Excellent first post - really interesting.

As @GusB points out, it's not about "I did this journey" but a trip report that's of interest and we have different styles in that - some post photos, some focus on the buses, some focus on the scenery or on the towns/villages/local interest.

Thoroughly enjoyed yours and well worth the effort you put in.

I think most people know about the attractions of Cornwall to a tourist. I've been a regular visitor since my foray in the days of Western National when VRs, Leopards and minibuses worked most of the routes there and a fledgling First Bus had yet to have much of an impact. Moreover, me and my better half absolutely love heading down and spending time exploring. Most of that is car based but I can usually persuade her to be green for a day or two and rely on public transport. Not having been down really since 2018 (2019 was an intentional break whilst we didn't fancy the scrum of Covid staycations in 2020/2021 though we did make it to Bude last year so just over into Jam first territory), it was good to head down and see what's happening. Therefore, these are slightly less extensive, much more touristy trips but still hope they're of interest.

Cornish Experiences - Day One

We began our day at St Mawes, a beautiful village/town on the Roseland Peninsula with a castle that, in tandem with Pendennis Castle on the other side of the bay, protected Falmouth and its harbour. Having already done the ferry to Falmouth the day before, we were getting the bus just before 0930 which would take us in a different direction. We made our way to the main car park and our service 50 was waiting for us. It was a former London decker - not uncommon in Cornwall which has long had a history of such vehicles from 1980s DMS Fleetlines to more recent Olympians and Tridents. In fairness, First's fleet locally has few ex London machines but this route was a Transport for Cornwall route operated by Go South West's Cornish arm that won the large package of tenders in early 2020. We purchased our day tickets - this being Cornwall and the fares experiment being undertaken, these were a bargain £5 each! The bus was a bit odd being a former Stagecoach machine - unrefurbished so a Go Ahead vehicle dominated by beachball moquette. We set off and climbed out of St Mawes. Bagging the front top deck seats, we were able to enjoy the views of Falmouth and the various inlets of the River Fal and the fantastic scenery - many journeys are operated by e200s so it was a bonus. We made steady time along the winding A road until we reached Tregony, a small place that acts as a bit of a local focal point as the main comprehensive school for the area is here. It was where we changed buses with our 51 waiting for us.

The 50/51 used to be Truro to Tregony services (combining to create an hourly headway) with the 50 to St Mawes (as current) and the 51 to Veryan and Portloe but this was changed in 2020 so that the 50 became hourly but that the 51 would be roughly two hourly from Portloe to Tregony and then would travel via a new route to St Austell, with connections in Tregony Square so that passengers could interchange. This certainly seemed to work with passengers heading from the 51 to the 50. We were heading to Snozzle (aka St Austell, aka St Awful) with one other passenger. We headed off on our newish Mellor Strata operated in TfC livery by Travel Cornwall. Only my second experience of these and it was terrible for a vehicle less than a year old. Build quality was appalling with rattles abounding. It was a relief to get off and, as I suspected, the new route didn't attract any new passengers, instead just nicking passengers off the common bit of route between Hewas Water and Snozzle from the main 27 route.

It was a short connection at St Austell station to head to Charlestown. Our next bus was First Kernow's 24, one of two main routes that they retain locally whilst Go Ahead now run the routes to Newquay and Bodmin. They also run a service (25) to Fowey that dovetails with the 24 albeit via a different route; the 24 is usually home to 3 of the 4 e200mmc that First retained in 2020 when the others they had were novated to Go Ahead with the tender losses. These are really quite nice vehicles and well suited to the Fowey - Snozzle - Mevagissey route, with USB and wifi though disappointed to see the moquette is beginning to noticably fade already after only four years. Also, we called at the Asda store where two employees got off - they had sat in seats virtually next to each other yet never acknowledged each others' existence. Clearly, Janice and Barbara don't get on! :rolleyes:

We arrived into Charlestown and walked down the hill into the main village that the 25 serves but the 24 doesn't, despite the timetable on the bus stop being posted there that it did! Charlestown is a quaint and delightful former industrial port. I think it was used for exporting China Clay but could cope with the demand and so Par along the coast was developed. Meanwhile, Charlestown became moribund and never developed. Hence it is remarkably unchanged and so popular with film crews! No filming for us but the usual tall ships were there as were the ice cream stands that were experienced! A really lovely place in which to spend a couple of hours.

1657560908585.png1657560998348.png
1657561509492.png

We walked back up the hill in the bright sunshine and waiting for our next bus (another FK e200mmc) to take on the run via the town and then the Pentewan Valley to Mevagissey. I love the village and we've been before for Feast Week when the local fishermen decorate their boats and the place is a centre of celebration etc. It's a winding maze of narrow streets behind the harbour and whilst the bus used to wend its way down (when Merc minis ruled the roost), the 24 serves a turning point near the main car park up the road. Here, we grabbed a late lunch and then had a wander around, enjoying the atmosphere and some nice yarn bombing. It was sunny and busy and just lovely - it's a bit like Padstow before Rick Stein ruined the place! I'd have like to stay longer but was conscious of getting an earlier bus.... just in case there was a cancellation. BTW, loadings were pretty healthy on the 24 and, in the summer, it does justify its decent vehicles. If anything, it's a route that you might think could be branded; the disappointment was that there was a lack of anything in terms of promotion in either of the FK vehicles particularly - odd given how good other aspects are such as the printed materials.

1657561137153.png1657561562651.png
1657561645943.png
So we headed to St Austell where we had over an hour to kill. Surprisingly, the coffee shop in the station stays open until 6pm so we grabbed a coffee and just chilled out waiting for our bus. At our stand, there were a couple of the type of interesting characters that often deter bus passengers. Not wishing to sound pejorative or whatever, but it's not great to wait there with one guy who is F-ing and Jeffing all the time about his relationship with his wife, whilst his female friend (and they were just that, I think) is listening whilst nodding in between scrolling on her phone and smoking roll ups. Both had clothes that were filthy with food and drink stains - but what can you do... insist on a dress code? I had hoped they'd be getting another bus but no, there were 5 of us heading to Tregony when the 51 duly arrived. It was our morning bus/driver combo and thankfully, our sweary man and his disinterested friend went to the front seats so we headed to the back so we couldn't hear the continuing complaining of the bloke. I was tracking our 50 bus and was relieved to see it making its way from Truro via Probus. We made our way to Tregony arriving on time to discover that our 50 had arrived...and gone. No waiting or anything and all the more annoying is that it sits for 12 mins at St Mawes anyway - he could've waited. The two ne'er do wells stayed on the 51 but we had a soulmate in our other passenger who was also wanting/needing to get to St Mawes. It was the last bus of the day. The pub was closed. What to do? The northbound 50 arrived and so we spoke to a helpful driver who did ring base but couldn't get any meaningful response. Fortunately, we were able to ring a taxi so the end of our bargain day out was our share of a £35 taxi fare!! At least it wasn't raining!

1657561357283.png

Seriously, I recognise the challenges of non-running services and staff shortages leading to those cancellations but not waiting time for a connection that is certainly expected if not shown expressly in the timetable is really poor. Anyhow, hope you enjoyed the read and the photos and I can recommend visiting Charlestown and Meva (as well as Fowey and Pentewan on the 24). My experience, limited as it was, does confirm what I thought. Cornwall Council has the money to really make some changes that will get bus patronage up. A two-hourly service to Fowey and Meva in the evenings is a little poor yet they can spend money on a hitherto unrequired service from Veryan to St Austell. A service introduced by disconnecting Veryan from Truro that previously was direct. Instead, an hourly St Mawes service appeared as well yet now cuts having had to be made, the former hourly headway from Truro to Tregony is now every 90 mins - it's playing with crayons on a map in many respects.

Day Two in due course...

Last edited:

LAIRA

Another report from Cornwall I'm afraid and a longer day out than expected. Only 2 Go South West buses not yet ridden on and 2009 was on the 235. A sharp departure at 12.00 from Royal Parade on the 12 going towards Bude. A spirted run to Callington arriving a few minutes early. I do love the views from the top deck as you approach Callington, StAustell to your left and Dartmoor to your right. Just time to buy a pasty and a bottle of water before the 235 arrives.
I rode up to Tesco and back via a small housing estate twice before returning to New Road. then headed off around 2 more housing estates before leaving Callington. A lady joined me and also went to Tesco and back and then left the bus at the next estate, I am sure she could have walked it quicker but perhaps she is like me and likes riding on buses. We then left Callington by a straight section of road and we were off like a rocket until we hit the narrow lanes. The next section of route the hedges were touching both sides of the bus at the same time for most of the section. Once out on the B road to Congdon Shop we were off again faster than ever all the way to Lewannick were I was joined by another passenger an old friend who was going home to Devonport. Arrival at Launceston Tesco was still 14 minutes late so some more running time needed I think.
Now this is where it all went wrong as the 14.31 to Plymouth had been cancelled so it was an hours wait for the next number 12. This bus was also 10 minutes late due to getting jammed up in the school but at least it always runs as it carrys school children. The driver did his best but we were still 16 minutes late arriving back into Plymouth. The hours wait was pleasant as the sunshine was nice and I did find somewhere to sit sadly by a busy main road. I note according to bustimes the 14.25 didn't run last Friday either.
Good bits were another route ridden on and only 2008 to go.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Cornish Experiences - Day Two

Staying in St Mawes is truly delightful though it is a bit of a struggle to get anywhere, being on a peninsula. Also, buses finish relatively early as does the Falmouth Ferry, even in summer. So wanting to head far west meant a drive initially so we could get back at the end of the day. We headed to Truro station and having been caught at the level crossing, eventually made it into the car park where we then had a ten minute struggle to pay for parking as the machines would not accept a card, and neither phone nor internet was really playing ball. Eventually the 3G managed to allow it and we could then purchase our train tickets to Penzance. It was a real blast from the past to get a 125 down through Cornwall and extremely comfortable..

1657611801889.png
Having arrived in Penzance, we had a short wait for our next bus. This was to be the Tin Coaster (TINC) to Pendeen (the former 18) that interworks with the 19, the two vehicles being unbranded opentoppers at the moment. I'm not aware of the plans for the TINC - will it be branded? Certainly, the timetable is a bit hidden in the otherwise excellent Lands End Coaster (LEC) leaflet. There was a variety of vehicles parked in the bus station with a former Lothian/BBT O/T Trident, a former LEC President now in Sunseeker yellow, a Unique Gemini well away from its Falmouth area services, and a Tinner e400mmc. However, our bus was running in on the 19 and was one of the former London B9TLs that have joined the fleet recently and this too was awaiting vinyls. Now this is a bit of a fess-up - I've been to Cornwall plenty of times yet I'd never bothered with the direct route from Penzance to Pendeen. After breaking free of Penzance, it's a really quite exhilerating run up and over the open ground and then heading into the small town of St Just, home of Britain's most westerly bus station?

1657612610385.png1657612352260.png
We continued on as we navigated the narrow streets and back out of St Just passing the former Western National outstation/dormy shed that is now a residential dwelling (on the left) and we then headed to Pendeen and Geevor Tin Mine. For some reason, I thought the bus services (TINC and LEC) went into the Geevor site - I'm sure the LEC did or am I misremembering? Anyhow, we got off in Pendeen and walked along and discovered a Portuguese cafe in the village to grab a coffee and a cake. Excellent place. Then we walked down to the mine but I thought something was amiss... The place is closed on Fri and Sat!! I was a bit gobsmacked - perhaps it's a staffing issue or is it always like that? Certainly, it's a major tourist attraction and I couldn't imagine Wookey Hole, for instance, being closed for two days a week in almost peak season.

1657612807346.png1657612285743.png
We trudged up the hill and back to the bus stop. Fortunately, an LEC was imminent and thankfully, an ex London e400 duly arrived. Compared to the B9, this didn't seem to quite have the oomph but it seemed to cope ok with the hills as we headed back to St Just. This one was liveried up for the Atlantic Coaster and I do wonder whether the policy of individual branding each route actually works - perhaps a generic Coaster livery might be more practicable as vehicles seemed to be working different routes? Also, a lot of O/T vehicles in base livery without vinyls. We got into St Just and spent an hour wandering around the town. Pleasant enough in the sun but my better half didn't fancy the walk to Cape Cornwall. So it was soon time to think about moving. Worryingly, I couldn't see the TINC tracking inward (that would be our one back to Penzance) whilst the LEC was tracking so elected to take that one next and it did duly arrive. It was the ex Lothian Trident that I'd seen earlier at Penzance. Now these are T reg vehicles - I did wonder about the wisdom of these on such a route. Nor the wisdom of still having hard plastic seats upstairs. Actually, I need not have worried. The old warhorse was absolutely fine in managing the route. We bounded across the open land towards Lands End Airport, dropped into Sennen Cove, and then clambered out of there. That's perhaps the biggest test for a vehicle - I remember travelling on one of the long lived A-VAF Olympians (must've been about 24 years old at the time) and it barely crawled out of Sennen, yet our sprightly Trident seemed fine. Good loadings too on these as the sun got out, and we passed another ex London B9 at Lands End. I noticed that the ticket office bus wasn't in Lands End and indeed, didn't see one in Penzance so wonder what the plans in respect of these sales points? We headed through Porthcurno and past Lamorna Turn and soon were descending into Newlyn. However, at this point, the traffic stopped and I was concerned we might miss our Mousehole bus. So the driver let us out and we walked (as we know Newlyn) through the back streets to the Harbour and the Red Lion bus stop.

1657612451437.png
A bit delayed by the same traffic lights was one of the Mousehole Solos, fully loaded so we had to stand for a bit. I noted some of the London area style notices from its days on TfL services but the one thing that I noticed was, and it was oddly noticeable on First's Kernow fleet, was the lack of internal advertising of any description. We trundled along the coast past the old Penlee lifeboat station - for the uninitiated, I'd read up on the story of what happened (I remember it happening as a kid) and the incredible heroism of the RNLI crew and then appreciate how brave some people can be!

We arrived in Mousehole for the Sea, Salt and Sails (?) festival. It was quite busy, hence the loadings on the Solo and we spent a couple of hours enjoying the place, the stalls, the food etc. It was noticeable just how many people still insisted in driving into the village - if you're a local, that's fine and some were working for businesses etc but sadly too many still didn't appreciate how narrow the place is. It still gets me how hard it is to get a Solo into the place and then you remember that LHS's used to run the route.

1657614602446.png
1657614344458.png1657614403442.png
1657614525837.png
We ended up getting Solo 53826 back to Penzance - when we stayed in Newlyn a few years ago, it seemed to be the Solo we always ended up getting and it has certainly worked the route a lot. It's now 17 years old and they are a little tired now. Moreover, the otherwise attractive paint scheme has not weathered well so it'll be interesting to see the Solo charabanc in service but also, what FSW can do in terms of fleet replacement for these venerable old stagers.

It was back to Penzance, another 43 to Truro (past the seemingly huge St Erth P&R) and then back to St Mawes after a stunning day in the Cornish sun. Hope you enjoyed the write up and the photos.