• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trips on Caledonian Sleeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Note: to discuss the new Mk5 stock, please use Caledonian Sleeper Mk5 Discussion or for suggestions to alternate the Caledonian Sleeper, use Suggestions for alternative Caledonian Sleeper layout

This thread is to discuss forum members' trips on Caledonian Sleeper (people are still very welcome to use their own threads though, of course!). Feel free to post your experiences, or ask questions relating to an upcoming trip.

I've not used the berths in a very long time, but I did seated Sleeper from Fort William to Glasgow last Summer.

Our coach was at the buffer stops, our train was clearly boarding, so we boarded. We found our reserved seats had been displaced and we were put all over the coach due to the actual coach being used being very different to the one depicted in the seating plan. A member of staff entered the carriage and told us off for boarding (apparently we are meant to go to a podium before boarding).

Other passengers later told us they had been disappointed with the way they were spoken to as well. He did eventually agree to let us sit together, but the experience was about as far removed from being treated as "guests" as you could imagine.

Due to previous bad experiences, I chose not to use the buffet car so I don't know if that was any good or not. The journey was otherwise uneventful.

How was yours?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
I usually do trip reports for my sleeper journeys in my dedicated thread. I’ve always found the staff good and the lounge car a brilliant experience. The rolling stock is old but presented as well as possible. Quality of sleep has varied, but that is to be expected. It does feel a better product to me under Serco, which is a good job considering the price hike. The lounge at Inverness is great and the breakfast is improved. I’ve never been in the seated coach, which is usually where most negative reviews seem to come from.

I’m booked on the new stock in January so looking forward to that.

vlad

I’m booked on the new stock in January so looking forward to that.

You're not - the new stock won't have been introduced then.

The CS website claims "spring 2019", whatever that means....

Iskra

Established Member
You're not - the new stock won't have been introduced then.

The CS website claims "spring 2019", whatever that means....

That’s not what my booking says. It’s being introduced on the Lowlander first, perhaps you’re looking at the Highlander legs?

My blurb definitely promises me club class, an in cabin shower etc.

CS have not got in touch with me to tell me otherwise. Try booking some lowland sleeper legs at the end of jan, it deffo brings up the new ticket types and facilities...

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Interesting. A few weeks ago I looked at, but didn’t book, the Lowlander for February. At that point it was showing the old stock but new prices. Couldn’t afford it.

Iskra

Established Member
Interesting. A few weeks ago I looked at, but didn’t book, the Lowlander for February. At that point it was showing the old stock but new prices. Couldn’t afford it.

Actually, I have now checked the same date as I am travelling. It is now showing the old stock. It showed the new when I booked.

As an enthusiast, it doesn't bother me massively either way providing they refund me any price difference required.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Actually, I have now checked the same date as I am travelling. It is now showing the old stock. It showed the new when I booked.

As an enthusiast, it doesn't bother me massively either way providing they refund me any price difference required.

The launch was postponed, and I am sure they did say they would refund any differences in the fares.

robbeech

Established Member
If they don’t proactively refund you the difference and tell you about it then I’d consider doing the journey and starting the ball rolling for a full refund.

robbeech

Established Member
I was on the same sleeper service from Fort William that Yorkie talks about, although I was travelling through to London and was in a solo berth as they call them now. Whilst I have done the sleeper a few dozen times over the years I must say this was by some margin the worst experience I’ve had. With the exception of one lady the staff were generally very rude and unhelpful which is not what I’ve come to expect from them. I did mention it in a polite email and (apart from a thankyou for contacting us) never had a reply. For £240 I certainly expected better.

Caleb2010

I came down from Inverness last Monday in the accessible berth, at Inverness I was merely pointed along the train to where the accessible berth was- and that was the last time I encountered a Caledonian Sleeper employee!!

When I got to Euston and left the berth I discovered that I was the only person in the whole carriage.

With regards to the pleasantness of the crews- I must admit that 9 times out of 10 I find the Inverness crews nicer than the London crews, though there are exceptions for both!

At one point it got to be that I would arrange travel for Sunday, Tuesday or Thursday going to London and Monday, Wednesday or Friday back north just to enjoy the experience better!

Back north again on Thursday- a London crew! Can’t say I’m looking forward to the trip as much as I should be.

Iskra

Established Member
If they don’t proactively refund you the difference and tell you about it then I’d consider doing the journey and starting the ball rolling for a full refund.

I've seen evidence that they have been contacting other customers, so I'm sure it is only a matter of time before I get an email.

87electric

Can someone confirm if my seat 4A is a single seat or part of a double? My trip is in February.
I want a single seat and chose that from the layout plan on the Caledonian website. But isn't that new stock layout? I think I'm going to get lumbered with a double seat here as per old stock layout.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Travelled on the northbound lowlander the other night.

1. Received text stating lounge car was out of action (and should therefore consider bring my own refreshments on board to consume in the berth).
2. On arrival at check in was told my berth has been reallocated from the coach I had chosen on the coach/berth selector to another. While I appreciate there may have been a good reason for this why do they bother having such a selector if they can change it?
3. Staff friendly and efficient.

kaka

Hi all. I'm normally a flyer (and got directed here from flyertalk. weirdly.) but run into this dilemma since I would be staying v close to Edinburgh Waverly.

All rooms to Edinburgh are run out on the day I'd like to travel, but Glasgow is available. Would it be possible for me to move to the Edinburgh *seats* at Carstairs so I dont have to do the detour?

Established Member
Hi all. I'm normally a flyer (and got directed here from flyertalk. weirdly.) but run into this dilemma since I would be staying v close to Edinburgh Waverly.

All rooms to Edinburgh are run out on the day I'd like to travel, but Glasgow is available. Would it be possible for me to move to the Edinburgh *seats* at Carstairs so I dont have to do the detour?
No. The train doesn't stop at Carstairs for passengers. Nor will you be allowed to move through the train.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Travelled on the northbound lowlander the other night.

1. Received text stating lounge car was out of action (and should therefore consider bring my own refreshments on board to consume in the berth).
2. On arrival at check in was told my berth has been reallocated from the coach I had chosen on the coach/berth selector to another. While I appreciate there may have been a good reason for this why do they bother having such a selector if they can change it?

Eurostar are as bad at doing that. They even have their ticket barriers capable of spitting out a bit of paper with a new seat assignment, which says something about how often they do it.

I'd agree, if you are not going to honour selections except in totally exceptional circumstances (e.g. a breakdown, not because you want to swap sets around for some commercial reason) don't offer them. Just offer selection by type (e.g. single seat in the seats).

Last edited:

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Eurostar are as bad at doing that. They even have their ticket barriers capable of spitting out a bit of paper with a new seat assignment, which says something about how often they do it.

Believe it or not I'm actually on a Eurostar right now - booked seat allocated. :)

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I have a trip on the berth sleeper booked from Inverness to Crewe for a few weeks' time from now. Probably the last time I'll ever do it on the old stock.

nicolaboo

I've just been on the 'sleeper' website and can't find any info regarding reservations.
I'm set to start planning an All-Line rover. The rovers and rangers blurb says I need a reservation and that the pass doesn't cover the price of such reservation.
Doesn't anyone know what the Cally and possibly the 'Night Riviera' if I do that one, will charge?

Andy Pacer

Established Member
I've just been on the 'sleeper' website and can't find any info regarding reservations.
I'm set to start planning an All-Line rover. The rovers and rangers blurb says I need a reservation and that the pass doesn't cover the price of such reservation.
Doesn't anyone know what the Cally and possibly the 'Night Riviera' if I do that one, will charge?
When I've done the Caledonian Sleeper on an ALR there has been no additional charge as long as you are travelling in the seated coach, and reservations are compulsory. I got in touch with them and arranged this via e-mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.