• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Triva: Best hotels for train watching

Status
Not open for further replies.

najaB

Veteran Member
Was looking at this thread and I thought it might be useful to have a list of the best hotels for watching trains from your room.

So far we have these:
  • Jury's Inn in Glasgow, south facing room
  • Radisson Blu in Cardiff, west facing room

Any other suggestions?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railsigns

Established Member
If foreign hotels are allowed, this was the view from my room at the InterCity Hotel in Nuremberg:

nuremberg.jpg

dmncf

Last week we had a family self catering holiday at Abbot's House Farm, Goathland, North Yorkshire YO22 5NH. They have camping and caravaning site as well as a holiday flat and 'bunkhouse barn'. The North Yorkshire Moors Railway runs through the site, so we saw various steam locos and a couple of heritage diesels (a BR blue large logo locomotive, possibly a 37?). We had a day out taking the steam train through to Whitby, which was great.

Photo from their website http://abbotshouse.org.uk/:
site%20aug%202.jpg

Phil from Mon

The Clayton Hotel in Cardiff (used to be the Maldron) looks down on the east end of Cardiff Central if you are on the correct side of the building, and the Premier Inn pretty much does the same for Queen Street

LLivery

Established Member
Travelodge Twickenham is right next to the station if SWT is what you fancy!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Here is a link which should take you to a post of mine with a picture in the "Accommodation suggestions" thread in the trip planning area of the forum.

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1572788&postcount=243

One thing I should add is that since my originally posting that the hotel in question has changed it's name; it's no longer part of the TimHotel chain but is instead now known simply as "Hotel at Gare du Nord" - the staff stayed with it.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Carlisle: does the Viaduct Hotel still exist?

Used to be right outside the station, though the rooms I had never looked onto the track itself.

Vienna: there are some hotels on the north side of the line into Westbahnhof, surely? I can't remember a specific one, but it just seems an obvious place.

sarahj

Established Member
Jury's inn, Brighton. Upper rooms overlook the station throat.

Euro Hotels. Park Plaza Utrecht. The web is full of folks who were moaning about facing the railway. For some reason, it did not bother me.

Germany. Many IC hotels, as the pic above shows has great views.

Glenmutchkin

We had a fabulous view of the Durango & Silverton steam shed from our room in the Hawthorn Suites, Durango, CO.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Inter City Hotel Mannheim - stayed there on Friday evening - £50 - absolute comfort and great views over a very busy railway - especially after 2100 hours when I counted 8 freights in 20 mins ...

(I was doing other things - not just watching the railway)

philjo

Established Member
The Best Western hotel I used in Salzberg - the room window looked down on to the tracks by the station.
Though unfortunately they had the rail grinder out that night!

Ibis in Innsbruck is above the station. The hotel lift comes out in the station concourse.

Queen's Hotel in Leeds - my room (5th floor) looked down onto the platforms

Last edited:

ac6000cw

Established Member
It don't think it's quite open yet (should be sometime this month), but the new Ibis hotel at Cambridge station is right alongside the platforms at the north end of the station.

Across the Atlantic:

The Station Inn at Cresson, PA is a decent, if slightly quirky, 'railfan' B&B alongside the triple-track NS mainline, with a porch out front you can sit and watch the trains all day and night if you want to.

The Ramada Inn at Cumberland, MD is right alongside the CSX mainline in the centre of town (and the Western Maryland Scenic heritage line is on the other side of downtown) - you need a high up room to see over the trees between the hotel and the CSX railroad (they understand the problem at reception....)

The Truckee Hotel, 5800 feet up in the Sierra Nevada mountains in California, had a basket full of earplugs on the reception counter when I stayed there last year - for use of those not wanting to be woken up by train horns through the night...(enthusiasts are made of sterner stuff, of course ;))

View from the 2nd floor, train on the left, lovely scenery straight ahead :)

Last edited:

bradford758

There's a hotel overlooking Ipswich station but not really that much to see. It's fairly cheap if in the area.

Sent from my 4009X using Tapatalk

sarahj

Established Member
Inter City Hotel Mannheim - stayed there on Friday evening - £50 - absolute comfort and great views over a very busy railway - especially after 2100 hours when I counted 8 freights in 20 mins ...

(I was doing other things - not just watching the railway)

I suppose any hotel along the Rhein valley. Ruddeshiem is great for freight watching. It's fun, your having a nice meal, the level crossing barriers go down. ooooo whats coming through next.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.