• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Triva: Station where the entrance/exit has moved dramatically

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Currently passing through Wakefield Westgate and it occurred to me that the entrance/exit at this station has moved from the southern end of the platforms to the northern end of the platforms. I'm wondering if there are any other stations where this has happened?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EssexGonzo

Chelmsford over the last few years. May not have been dramatic but it confuses the hell out of me.

urbophile

Established Member
For years the Ordnance Survey map has shown Kirkby station in Merseyside as situated on the east side of the overbridge; since the Merseyrail extension in the 1970s it has been on the west side. The ramp and steps from the station building lead to the new platform built for the Merseyrail electrics: there is a footpath under the bridge to the original Liverpool-bound platform which is now the terminus for the DMU shuttle from Wigan/Manchester.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Didn't Feltham's move from one end of the station to the other when the new station building opened?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Newport (South Wales) has had its entrance moved from around one third way along the platform, much closer to the London end, to pretty much the very other end, now at the Cardiff end.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Before the present Nottingham Midland station was built in the 1900s, the platforms were in roughly the same place but the entrance was at the side stairs to the footbridge.

I seem to recall West Croydon also had the entrance at the side at one time.

The former main entrance to St Pancras is now the hotel, and it's quite difficult to find an official station entrance in the vicinity.

Last edited:

causton

Established Member
Dare I say the obvious King's Cross? Only those of us determined enough enter through the front these days and the main entrances are off to the west, it almost feels like a different world to what was there and it is easy to forget that dingy concourse! (I never did find out where those steps opposite the departure screens went down to :lol: )

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Angel Road...The original entrance was located roughly here on the Angel Road Viaduct, but was relocated to here when the viaduct was widened during the upgrade work of the late 80s/early 90s.

I also seem to recall there being temporary access via what was essentially a scaffold tower and bridge on the North side of the viaduct (the original entrance being on the South side) between the demolition of the original entrance and the completion of the Conduit Lane bridge and entrance.

Whilst the station is reasonably well located for Ikea, Tesco and a couple of retail parks, the current service level (essentially peak times only, with just 11 trains each way, a far cry from the previous 2 trains an hour each way) negates that convenience.

snowball

Established Member
For years the Ordnance Survey map has shown Kirkby station in Merseyside as situated on the east side of the overbridge; since the Merseyrail extension in the 1970s it has been on the west side. The ramp and steps from the station building lead to the new platform built for the Merseyrail electrics: there is a footpath under the bridge to the original Liverpool-bound platform which is now the terminus for the DMU shuttle from Wigan/Manchester.

The station is shown east of the bridge on my 1:50k map from 1978, west on my 1:25k from 2000, and west on current mapping at both these scales and larger as visible on streetmap.co.uk.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
My home station of Ashford, Kent is in largely the same place, but the entrance has changed from the BR overbridge of the Kent electrification scheme to the side entrance built for the channel tunnel rebuild (long before HS1 I might add).

transmanche

Established Member
On the tube, Angel station is a good example of a station whose entrance has moved. But there will be many other examples too - especially (like at Angel) where stations were fitted with escalators to replace lifts.

NSE

Established Member
Dare I say the obvious King's Cross? Only those of us determined enough enter through the front these days and the main entrances are off to the west, it almost feels like a different world to what was there and it is easy to forget that dingy concourse! (I never did find out where those steps opposite the departure screens went down to :lol: )

The tube. As with most sets of down going stairs at London Terminals. It was a tube entrance straight from the KGX concourse and past a small Tie Rack. It picked up a similar path from St. Pancras and entered the tube just before the ticket barriers at the Northern/Victoria/Piccadilly entrance on the Euston Road.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The tube. As with most sets of down going stairs at London Terminals. It was a tube entrance straight from the KGX concourse and past a small Tie Rack. It picked up a similar path from St. Pancras and entered the tube just before the ticket barriers at the Northern/Victoria/Piccadilly entrance on the Euston Road.

That Tube entrance is still in the same place. It's just that it is now outside the station after removal of the "temporary" concourse that occupied the area behind the buffer stops for so many decades.

The strange oval tower in the same open area was, I believe, the original lift shafts down to the Tube, and is now a ventilation shaft.

The Tube stations for Euston were originally on the streets to the east and west when the lines were run by two separate companies. The western one can still be seen next to the Ibis hotel and is also a ventilation shaft.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Caerphilly back in the 80s. The entrance used to be from the Road Bridge which crossed above the line at the North End with a walkway (under cover) where the Booking Office and shop were located. Stairs down to the platforms. when it changed in the 80s the entrance was moved down to street level adjacent to the bus station and direct onto the Down Platform with a footbridge to cross to up platform.. Booking Office and Shop relocated also and the "additional" walkway alongside the road was demolished. In the late 90s it changed again with this entrance disappearing and the old station buildings further along the Down Platform being renovated housing the Booking Office and Shop and part shared with the adjacent bus station, the bus crews mess room being located there and the whole set up became known as the Caerphilly Interchange.

LewFinnis

Stourbridge Town's entrance has moved at least twice after various reconstructions.
Cradley Heath when the new Birmingham-bound platform (and new main entrance) west of crossing replaced the old Birmingham platform on the east side.

Andyh82

Established Member
That Tube entrance is still in the same place. It's just that it is now outside the station after removal of the "temporary" concourse that occupied the area behind the buffer stops for so many decades.

The strange oval tower in the same open area was, I believe, the original lift shafts down to the Tube, and is now a ventilation shaft.

I think the poster was talking about the old stairs down to the tube that were latterly filled in with some temporary seating, not the modern stairs which as you say are still there.

The old stairs went straight to the old circular ticket hall with the ticket windows on the right and the few steps down to the barriers on the left.

That's the only entrance I remember at Kings Cross underground in those days, I presume there were others. I only ever headed to the Piccadilly line.

NSE

Established Member

The Tube stations for Euston were originally on the streets to the east and west when the lines were run by two separate companies. The western one can still be seen next to the Ibis hotel and is also a ventilation shaft.

Yeah, as AndyH said, I was talking about where the stairs which were in the middle of the old concourse at KGX went. I'm very well acquainted with Kings Cross and the maze of tube tunnels it possess.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Yeah, as AndyH said, I was talking about where the stairs which were in the middle of the old concourse at KGX went. I'm very well acquainted with Kings Cross and the maze of tube tunnels it possess.

I remember those. Probably still down there under the piazza, along with the old tierack.

tsr

Established Member
Loads of candidates on the Southern network, I'm sure. Hever has a semi-derelict side entrance by Platform 1, the exact opposite to the main entrance now. Redhill has moved around all over the place with changes of station buildings over the years. East Grinstead and Oxted will have changed in various ways as the stations were rebuilt, and indeed some people still get a little bit lost, especially at Oxted. And goodness only knows how they "designed" the current system at Brockley, but I'm pretty sure it's not that old.

I seem to recall West Croydon also had the entrance at the side at one time.

It still does - there is a fairly busy side entrance which is the step-free access from platform 4, and has a part-time gateline. When the gateline is not in use, it looks like it is locked up, but there is a little-known remote control shutter opening system which can be requested with a button beside said entrance. The other entrance is on the "concourse" by the ticket office and Greggs.

thenorthern

Established Member
Windermere changed dramatically in 1973 when the main building was sold off to Booths and the line was singled meaning that the new entrance has half way down Platform 1 which by then was the only platform.

transmanche

Established Member
I remember those. Probably still down there under the piazza, along with the old tierack.
Here's a plan of the old layout. If you look at the two sets of stairs on the right which are marked as 'Exit', the top one was the passageway that went towards the suburban station (platforms 9-11), whilst the bottom one was (I think) the stairs being referred to, which gave access directly to the main KX station concourse and had the Tie Rack branch located at the sharp curve.

This more recent plan seems to indicate that those two passageways (which are in the section marked N123-23) have been abandoned by LU and marked as "Network Rail property'.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Morecambe has moved a fair way back from it's original seafront terminus - it's now about quarter of a mile away in a retail park.

Bolton moved across the road and up about 100m or so in its 1980s rebuild.

najaB

Veteran Member
Morecambe has moved a fair way back from it's original seafront terminus - it's now about quarter of a mile away in a retail park.

Bolton moved across the road and up about 100m or so in its 1980s rebuild.
Did the actual station move in those examples? If so I don't think they are valid for this thread.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Did the actual station move in those examples? If so I don't think they are valid for this thread.

Yes, to be fair Morecambe did move the entire station (more of a "truncation" rather than a "move" though)

Bolton stayed in the same place, as did the trains' stopping positions, which are pretty much unchanged to this day.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member

Morecambe did, however Bolton remained on the same site, just with a fairly substantial rebuilding.

Edit - too slow!

Status
Not open for further replies.