• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Triva: Stations with entrances in shopping parades?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeilWatson

Seeing this photograph of Perry Barr station entrance led me to wonder which other stations have entrances in a shopping parade - effectively a shop-front.

Attachments

• 2C8EF924-B16A-4771-83A5-4B6DC0D46CDC.jpeg
    2C8EF924-B16A-4771-83A5-4B6DC0D46CDC.jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 305
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
Seeing this photograph of Perry Barr station entrance led me to wonder which other stations have entrances in a shopping parade - effectively a shop-front.
I think you can count Windsor and Eton Central on the GWR network as a candidate as in 1997 AXA brought most of the station site and the area is now called Windsor Royal Shopping with the station reduced to a 3 car platform.

John Webb

Established Member
A number in London were deliberately built to include shops - for example (click on photos to go to the larger originals on the Geograph website):
From 2008:
Farringdon Station

© Copyright Colin Smith and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
and opposite, around 2012, a new entrance was built to improve access:
Farringdon Station (Thameslink)

© Copyright N Chadwick and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

South Kensington:
Southern entrance to South Ken tube station arcade

© Copyright Sandy B and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
And on the other side:
South Kensington Station

© Copyright N Chadwick and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

These are just two examples!

Southport. Plus a fairly impressively large double arrow symbol.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210405-093226_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210405-093226_Chrome.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

The west side entrance to London's Liverpool Street station is through an arcade.

Lucan

Established Member
I think we should exclude London Underground stations. There are loads of them like that.

lincolnshire

Think you can add Sunderland station to the list as entrance has shops etc either side of it at its main entrance and side entrances.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Kilburn (High Road) is in a parade of shops, similar design to Perry Barr too.

I think we should exclude London Underground stations. There are loads of them like that.
Not sure I would say that there are “loads” of them - I can personally think of only a handful, and many of those are probably outwith what the OP was thinking about, being entrances in shopping centres like Fulham (Bdy), Bond St (one of the entrances) and Hammersmith (District).

johntea

Established Member
A number in London were deliberately built to include shops - for example (click on photos to go to the larger originals on the Geograph website):
From 2008:
Farringdon Station

© Copyright Colin Smith and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
and opposite, around 2012, a new entrance was built to improve access:
Farringdon Station (Thameslink)

South Kensington:
Southern entrance to South Ken tube station arcade

© Copyright Sandy B and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
And on the other side:
South Kensington Station

These are just two examples!

Clapham Junction has a 'shopping parade' entry point too...

674895_354dd0c0.jpg

Veteran Member
Wimbledon Chase was built with shops and the building survives - other stations on the Wimbledon and Sutton have lost their (smaller) ones.
Southgate Piccadilly Line has an impressive parade matching the station but it isn't integral (not that that stopped Tim Dunn...:) )

Journeyman

Established Member
Wasn't there an entrance to Elephant & Castle Thameslink station from the now closed shopping centre?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The entrance to (Liverpool) Moorfields looks more like the entrance to a shopping centre than a station... Liverpool Central has a small mall inside the building too, which you have to pass through to access the platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.