• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia — Lines That Were Built For Double Track But Were Only Ever Single

Status
Not open for further replies.

d9009alycidon

East Kilbride Branch beyond Busby has always been single but all structures were build to accommodate double track, actually looking at old maps it may actually have been a double track formation all the way to Blantyre, but the now closed and lifted section was laid as single.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

24Grange

Topsham - Exmouth
Littleham - Exmouth. Exmouth viaduct was wide enough for double track, but never laid.

matchmaker

Established Member
Aside from heritage railways, are there any single line tracks still in operation that were built for double track?
Daviot to Culloden. I think (but am not sure) that all the major bridges on the Direct Line via Carr Bridge were built to accomodate double track.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
In Colin Magg's book "The Exeter and Exmouth Railway" published by the Oakwood Press, he mentions the rebuilding of the 114 yard long River Clyst viaduct on the line just south of Topsham. The old deck needed replacement, and the never before used piers that had been built for possible double tracking were utilised for the new replacement deck. The first train crossed on 18th December 1960. The old deck was then removed in 1961. There is no mention in this source of the deck's origin.

In the same book, there is also a photo of Warship no. 858 Valorous on bridge 15 at Exton with the Swindon 75 ton crane, on Sunday 16th November 1969. This is stated to be in connection with the laying of a North Sea gas main across the river bed. Could this be what you're thinking of, Mr Cowley?
Its the bridge in the Warship photo im thinking of. I'm sure there's a reference to the transfer of the bridge in The North Devon Line by John Nicholas.

steamybrian

Established Member
My recollection from walking along the trackbed between Three Bridges and Eridge is that while the line was only ever single track, at least some of the bridges were sized for double.
Sections of the infrastructure between East Grinstead and Ashurst Jn were built for double track which enabled a passing loop to easily be built at Forest Row many years after the line was opened. Several bridges in the Hartfield- Withyham area have double track width. In several long stretches sufficient land was acquired to widen the infrastructure as the fence line is considerably well back.

An unusual one..
When I last travelled between Balham and Streatham Hill on the downside I saw partly built bridges and embankments which I presume was possibly to widen to 4 tracks.?

Dr_Paul

Established Member
When I last travelled between Balham and Streatham Hill on the downside I saw partly built bridges and embankments which I presume was possibly to widen to 4 tracks.?
I've seen that too. I wonder if there were plans to extend the stabling sidings.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
The Truro-Falmouth branch - the two tunnels are clearly built to double track width but have never had a second line laid.

I’m certain you are absolutely correct on this, as wasn’t this originally planned to be the mainline rather than onwards to Penzance due to the importance of Falmouth as a shipping port back then?

DerekC

Established Member
IIRC, the LSWR Meon Valley line from Alton to Fareham - including the steel viaduct at West Meon - was built for double track, but only ever had a single track. I cycled along part of it as a teenager in the mid-'seventies and one unusual thing about this line was that it had bull-head rail on steel sleepers. In the same part of the country, I believe that the GWR Didcot, Newbury and Southampton line - which actually joined the LSWR main line at Shawford Junction - was also built with a double formation, but only ever had a single track. There must have been quite a few other similar lines around the country.
The major structures on the Meon Valley line were certainly built for double track, but most of the embankments and some of the smaller underbridges weren't, as can be seen by walking the Meon Valley Trail from West Meon to Wickham/Knowle Junction. There is a short piece of double track width embankment in the Corhampton area (between West Meon and Droxford) which I have tried to find an explanation for, but can't. There was never a siding there, but maybe the LSWR had plans to build one that weren't put into effect.

Grecian 1998

I’m certain you are absolutely correct on this, as wasn’t this originally planned to be the mainline rather than onwards to Penzance due to the importance of Falmouth as a shipping port back then?
That's my understanding - if you look at Penwithers junction, the Falmouth branch heads straight on to the south-west, while the line to Penzance curves to the right in a westerly direction.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
That's my understanding - if you look at Penwithers junction, the Falmouth branch heads straight on to the south-west, while the line to Penzance curves to the right in a westerly direction.
Indeed, and I think this was first brought to my attention some years ago whilst viewing a Video 125 Drivers Eye View program.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Much of the earthworks for Shepley to Clayton West were built as double track, in anticipation of extending the line to Barnsley. This never happened so the line stayed single until closure.

Ianigsy

Aside from heritage railways, are there any single line tracks still in operation that were built for double track?
There are single track sections south of Guiseley on both the Leeds and Bradford lines, probably most noticeable at Baildon where there’s a disused platform.

pdeaves

Established Member
I think the Garstang & Knott End Railway was built for, but never used, double track. The unused space was used for staff allotments or similar.

tbwbear

GNR line from Finsbury Park to Edgware - I think - was all built for double track. It was soon doubled as far as Finchley Central but the last bit from there to Edgware wasn't. So I think Finchley Central to Edgware GNR/LNER via Mill Hill fits the criteria.

There were plans to double under the LPTB Northern Heights Plan 1935-40. Some progress was made but it was cancelled and track removed before being used. Finchley Central to Mill Hill East (Northern line) is the last remnant of the line and that is single.

shawmat

Here is a picture of the Maidenhead - Marlow branch as it crosses the A308 about 1km north of Maidenhead, looking north. Clearly the bridge structures were designed for double-track.

It was formerly the GWR route to High Wycombe and Aylesbury but lost much of its importance when the Paddington - High Wycombe direct line was completed (around 1890 I think?).

1621017441457.png

The map (c.1900) shows where Furze Platt station now is. Notice how the track is off-centre to the land boundaries to allow for a second track to be added.
1621018044104.png

By the time it crosses the Thames at Bourne End, the structures are down to single track width.

1621017864260.png

Veteran Member
Large chunks of Oxford-Hereford, Salisbury-Exeter, the Uckfield line, Castle Cary-Dorchester, Sleaford-Skegness... and various shorter bits.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Large chunks of Oxford-Hereford, Salisbury-Exeter, the Uckfield line, Castle Cary-Dorchester, Sleaford-Skegness... and various shorter bits.
What I actually meant but didn't explain precisely enough was, were there any lines built for double track that were only ever single track and are still in use.

That would preclude Salisbury to Exter as that was double track for a time whilst in use.

steamybrian

Established Member
All these lines were in the past double track but have been reduced to single track.

Just been thinking/remembering. You can see sections of the Esk Valley [Middlesbrough-Whitby] that were built for double track, but were only ever were single. OK the sections from 'Boro to Nunthorpe and Grosmont to Whitby were formerally double track, but the rest was single with passing loops at various stations.

Veteran Member
All these lines were in the past double track but have been reduced to single track.
Yes, infobleep has clarified, my misreading. Some of the examples upthread qualify, like Copplestone to Umberleigh, Swanage, Falmouth...

Grecian 1998

Tucking Mill Viaduct between Bath and Midford on the Somerset and Dorset was built to allow double track, although Combe Down Tunnel a few hundred metres further north and Devonshire Tunnel were built for a single track on the same section. The S&D was always short of money so never upgraded this section. Combe Down Tunnel was the longest unventilated tunnel in the country. If you walk along the Two Tunnels Greenway you can see the tunnels were clearly built on a shoestring budget.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Some structures on the South Yorkshire Joint Railway (the line through Maltby) were built to allow widening to double track, which never happened. e.g. you can see double-width bridge piers in Brookhouse village in this google streetview view:

d9009alycidon

What I actually meant but didn't explain precisely enough was, were there any lines built for double track that were only ever single track and are still in use.

That would preclude Salisbury to Exter as that was double track for a time whilst in use.

Per my previous post - East Kilbride branch beyond Busby Station

Status
Not open for further replies.