• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: ”Single station” towns with station name suffixes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

david1212

Established Member
Although isn’t Royal Leamington Spa the name of the town?

Doesn't Leamington Spa (town) like to call itself Royal Leamington Spa?
Like Royal Tunbridge Wells.

The road signs as you drive in have Royal Leamington Spa.
Another is Royal Sutton Coldfield, I don't know if on at least some road signs.

Back on topic though all the full name of the town, nothing added specific just to the railway station.

Parkways are different though as either on the fringe of the physical town or some distance away rather than not far from the centre even if no other station.
Tiverton Parkway is around 9 miles by best roads or 7 miles walking from Tiverton so needs IMO needs the suffix.

Is Citadel a commonly used suffix to Carlisle ?

JKF

‘Parkway’ is just what ‘Road’ was in old money, although with a slightly different purpose.

(Presumabky ‘Alfreton and Mansfield Parkway’ is no longer called that now Mansfield is back on the network?)

SargeNpton

Established Member
I remember a few years ago it was said to getting renamed to Castle, apparently that was cancelled, sorry about that.
If Milton Keynes is a town, what is Bletchley if not a town?
Bletchley used to be a town in its own right, but when Milton Keynes was created in the mid-1970s it became a suburb of that larger conurbation - as did Wolverton, Fenny Stratford and Woburn Sands.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Bletchley used to be a town in its own right, but when Milton Keynes was created in the mid-1970s it became a suburb of that larger conurbation - as did Wolverton, Fenny Stratford and Woburn Sands.

They are still technically towns in their own right and have Town Councils. Prior to being a unitary, MK was a Borough.

Again this is not unusual. The area of what we would all call Manchester (the bit within the M60, pretty much) is not all under Manchester City Council - there are two cities (Manchester and Salford) and a load of towns that make it up, even though we would probably call the whole thing a city. And London is the same - what we would call "London" if we were describing going to it (roughly, but not quite*, the bit within the M25 or the contents of Zones 1-6) is actually made up of boroughs and a couple of cities (London and Westminster).

* Watford and Rickmansworth are inside, but most wouldn't call those "London", so Zones 1-6 are probably a better approximation.

A0wen

On Moderation
They are still technically towns in their own right and have Town Councils. Prior to being a unitary, MK was a Borough.

Again this is not unusual. The area of what we would all call Manchester (the bit within the M60, pretty much) is not all under Manchester City Council - there are two cities (Manchester and Salford) and a load of towns that make it up, even though we would probably call the whole thing a city. And London is the same - what we would call "London" if we were describing going to it (roughly, but not quite*, the bit within the M25 or the contents of Zones 1-6) is actually made up of boroughs and a couple of cities (London and Westminster).

* Watford and Rickmansworth are inside, but most wouldn't call those "London", so Zones 1-6 are probably a better approximation.

To bring us back on topic......

Welwyn North - which is slightly dubious for a number of reasons, not least it's not "north" of Welwyn Village, it's east of it and is actually sited in Digswell.

Another odd one is Harwich Town - particularly because the next station down the line is Dovercourt and then Harwich International.

DanNCL

Established Member
Carlisle Citadel. Although the station is now officially referred to simply as Carlisle, the Citadel suffix remains unofficially used to an extent and can still sometimes be heard in announcements made by guards.

johntea

Established Member
What exactly would the 'red tape' be regarding in dropping Central from Rotherham? (Surprised it wasn't considered with the 2010-2012 lick of paint!)

Another odd one is New Pudsey, which is actually in Farsley a mile and a bit out from Pudsey! More like a park and ride station (or park and shop with the nearby Asda superstore!) than being of any use for Pudsey

Spartacus

Established Member
More like a park and ride station than being of any use for Pudsey

Funny enough that's exactly what it was built for, there's a British Transport Film featuring it, 'The New Tradition'.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Replaced the previous Filton station (they co-existed for a while), and the Abbey Wood suffix refers to its closeness to the MoD base.
Agreed about the new station being named after the MoD offices, but I thought it opened the day after the old one closed.

SargeNpton

Established Member
Agreed about the new station being named after the MoD offices, but I thought it opened the day after the old one closed.
I had a recollection that both Filton stations were open for a short period due to a solitary objection being received about the closure of the old station. Being that long ago though, I could be mistaken.

urbophile

Established Member
Slight tangent I suppose, but in this country we have a convention of only giving the town or city name to the principal stations (termini or otherwise) within the city limits; suburban and subsidiary stations are normally just given the district name. You wouldn't normally refer to (eg) Liverpool St Michaels or Leeds Headingley. Conversely in some countries (Italy at least) stations within a city are given the full name both on platform signage and audio announcements (eg Genova Sturla; Roma Tuscolana). Except for Metro stations.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Slight tangent I suppose, but in this country we have a convention of only giving the town or city name to the principal stations (termini or otherwise) within the city limits; suburban and subsidiary stations are normally just given the district name. You wouldn't normally refer to (eg) Liverpool St Michaels or Leeds Headingley. Conversely in some countries (Italy at least) stations within a city are given the full name both on platform signage and audio announcements (eg Genova Sturla; Roma Tuscolana). Except for Metro stations.

Yep, in Germany too - you'd without doubt have stuff like "Milton Keynes Wolverton" and "London Stratford", and (I certainly know people who wouldn't like this) "Manchester Stockport". Deutsche Bahn typically make it clear on signage that it isn't the Hbf by putting the prefix in a smaller font.

Last edited:

plugwash

Established Member
I’ll start with a well-known example. Rotherham Central, which has remained as ”Central” despite Masborough having been closed.
There is also Rotherham Parkgate, though it's only served by tram-trains not regular rail services.

urbophile

Established Member
Yep, in Germany too - you'd without doubt have stuff like "Milton Keynes Wolverton" and "London Stratford", and (I certainly know people who wouldn't like this) "Manchester Stockport". Deutsche Bahn typically make it clear on signage that it isn't the Hbf by putting the prefix in a smaller font.
Except it wouldn't be 'Manchester' Stockport. It would be Stockport Stockport: in the borough of Stockport not Manchester. In the same way as Sefton Bootle, not Liverpool Bootle.

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
I had a recollection that both Filton stations were open for a short period due to a solitary objection being received about the closure of the old station. Being that long ago though, I could be mistaken.

Not true see my post

Not true the old one closed on the 8 March 1996 and the new one opened on the 11 March 1996

Class800

Established Member
Carlisle is now just Carlisle - but only a few years ago I heard an elderly guard announce 'we are now on the approach to Citadel station'. Not even Carlisle Citadel - though it probably had been mentioned earlier on

Dai Corner

Established Member
What about the "on-Sea" suffixes when other stations serve seaside towns without the "on-Sea" suffix

E.g. Westgate-on-Sea, Sheerness-on-Sea but then you have Ramsgate, Deal, Brighton, Eastbourne
Surely they're part of the towns' names rather than suffixes added by the railway?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Except it wouldn't be 'Manchester' Stockport. It would be Stockport Stockport: in the borough of Stockport not Manchester. In the same way as Sefton Bootle, not Liverpool Bootle.

No, Germany's concept of a city is much more like ours of a City Region, not a borough. Indeed, "Liverpool Runcorn" would be quite plausible and is very geographically similar to Hamburg Harburg.

The way Germany sees it, "London Watford Junction" would not be entirely improbable, even though the City of London is just one square mile.

Merseyrail stations wouldn't get a prefix as S-Bahn stations don't, only those served by mainline trains (minimum RB/RE).

No, Germany's concept of a city is much more like ours of a City Region, not a borough. Indeed, "Liverpool Runcorn" would be quite plausible and is very geographically similar to Hamburg Harburg.

The way Germany sees it, "London Watford Junction" would not be entirely improbable, even though the City of London is just one square mile.

Merseyrail stations wouldn't get a prefix as S-Bahn stations don't, only those served by mainline trains (minimum RB/RE).
In which case would you still extend this to such unintuitive cases as Manchester Wigan North Western?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
In which case would you still extend this to such unintuitive cases as Manchester Wigan North Western?

Probably not quite to that extent, but Wigan is quite evidently a separate physical town to Manchester, whereas Stockport is part of the conurbation. That said, if Runcorn would be Liverpool-Runcorn (and as I said it's very geographically similar to Hamburg-Harburg), perhaps.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
What about cases where the railway gets the suffix of a town wrong because of bad spelling?
Barton-on-Humber is the station in Barton-upon-Humber for an example.

steamybrian

Established Member
Dover Priory is now the only station serving Dover after the other three stations in the town closed years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.