• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - abandoned railways with intact track

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobdogs

On Moderation
Gulf Oil refinery branch near Milford Haven is still intact, I think.

Also the Trecwn branch near Fishguard.

I think both of these are more mothballed rather than disused, though the first of those is pretty overgrown.
Gulf Oil/Elf now Murco Hebrandston still used by oil trains.

Track still exists between Kidwelly and Cwmmawr on the old BPGV line. Last used over 20 years ago. There was a proposal to turn it into a velorail where you could peddle along the rails, but that seems to have come to nothing.
Track has recently been lifted at the Kidwelly end, presumably all the way to the site of the former washery.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Journeyman

Established Member
Most of the Post Office Railway is abandoned, besides the bit that is now part of the Postal Museum, and I'm pretty sure all the infrastructure is still in place.

james60059

Bobdogs

On Moderation
I think the OP was referring to the line which ran to Waterston refinery. Robeston/Herbrandston being a couple of miles NorthWest. Looking at Google Maps (albeit a snapshot from 2015) the track is still down, albeit overgrown in places.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.7..._H1ivDgU1l7LdkRAg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en-GB

Just out of interest, I wonder how long has the Waterston branch been abandoned?
I first went into the plant around 2000 and as far as I remember the sidings were still there but no locos or rolling stock.
The refinery was being decommissioned and was subsequently exported to Pakistan.
Sorry, my mistake,it was Gulf Oil, according to Wiki.

Worm

The flat crossing at Mumps was actually Metrolink track. The railway was on a viaduct at that point.
That one I’m very familiar with, if I’m not mistaken they left it there after abandoning that part of the Oldham loop line?

Blinkbonny

Hopefully we’re going there for a weekend in May.
Is there still some remaining track then..?
Went by it yesterday. Try the bus to Dover. It climbs out of Folkstone alongside what's left of the line.

Great view from the top deck. Especially of the two old mattresses that somebody has thoughtfully provided!

MadMac

Saw a picture the other day of the rail crane still sitting at Bandeath on the Forth, reached from the line across the long-closed “other” Forth Bridge near Alloa. Not been a train there since 1978, apparently.

fishwomp

Fishguard Harbour has a lot too, not just the run-round at platform end which I last saw when 50s were doing the daily Cardiff service.
There is track and buffer stop visible at the very far end of harbour wall, visible from the ferry.

B7rleThrasher

In South Wales, the Halls Road Branch is still in situ where it spurs away from the Ebbw Vale Line near Crosskeys Station.

There are also some very limited sections of the Blaenavon (High Level) LNWR branch left between Pontypool and Varteg hidden in the undergrowth next to the cycle track. This closed to freight in 1980.

The track between Mendalgief and Alexandra Dock Jn in Newport is still in Situ and continues over the road towards Pillgwenlly.

What is the current status of the Ogmore Vale Extension line between Tondu and Margam? Mo

joebassman

The ipswich docks railway is still in situ from the mainline to what was the ranleigh road crossing and to and over the bridge over the river with a signal still also there. There is also a tiny stretch fenced off each side under Princes street

Donny_m

On Moderation
Newton abbot to Heathfield. Used to go to the Imerys plant. Only time I’ve see a train use it was 2006.

Irascible

Established Member
Newton abbot to Heathfield. Used to go to the Imerys plant. Only time I’ve see a train use it was 2006.
Had thought of that but pretty sure it's not actually abandoned, just not currently used. Can't load the SA on this device to check, unfortunately. Colas used to pick up wood there until the line washed out at Dawlish, iirc.

Fenchurch SP

Track has recently been lifted at the Kidwelly end, presumably all the way to the site of the former washery.
Still in situ at the Cwmmawr end but very overgrown with some fairly large trees between the sleepers. Unusual to have a public footpath along the trackbed with the tracks still there. There are Network Rail signs about dangerous trees so must still be part of the network.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Had thought of that but pretty sure it's not actually abandoned, just not currently used. Can't load the SA on this device to check, unfortunately. Colas used to pick up wood there until the line washed out at Dawlish, iirc.
Listed in NESA as Temporarily out of use. No end date given though.

thenorthern

Established Member
There is a lot around the country.

There are a lot of old sidings as well that haven't been used for many years.

rdlover777

part of the old line to Chatham docks is still in place, its junction to the mainline at Gillingham crossing was removed and the tracks at the docks were torn up to make way for a development project there.

Pinza-C55

What’s the present status of the top of the Leamside route, it used to go down from Pelaw as far as Wardley opencast?

Also in the northeast, the disused line between Butterwell and Ashington, still had track where it was fenced off at the former A1068 crossing, just a mile or two north west of Ashington.

The Leamside line is completely devoid of track but the structures are maintained as far as I know. The idea of reopening it is usually floated immediately prior to local and national elections. If you are interested , I am building the line in the Trainz 2019 rail simulator.

jumble

How about funiculars
Leas Folkstone and the Clifton Rocks have track if I am not mistaken

thejuggler

Spurn Point railway, but its now very hit and miss.

Thanks to the storm surge in 2013 which ripped apart a huge length of the roadway which included the railway, a section of the railway and the concrete foundation is now in the sea.

Crossover

Established Member
That one I’m very familiar with, if I’m not mistaken they left it there after abandoning that part of the Oldham loop line?
Correct. The OHLE was supported in such a way that no posts were in the middle of the road.

Presumably, if the road is re-done in the future, the rails will come out at that point

ashkeba

Established Member
How about funiculars
Leas Folkstone and the Clifton Rocks have track if I am not mistaken
Are there not walls built across the tracks of Clifton Rocks? I think that has been given as reason not to reopen in the past.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
There is still track in the Ellesmere Port area near the council tip that used to be used for freight. The track is very much overgrown now and hasn’t been used for probably 15+ years.

jumble

This can be moved if not in correct forum.

Are there any sites in the UK where the line is no longer in use (for whatever reason not just Beeching) or where the line has been closed to all traffic, but the track is still intact?

Note - I’m not an explorer or intending to visit or trespass on any sites, I’m armchair only.
I was on Holiday around Northwich Cheshire over the weekend and went over a bridge crossing very overgrown tracks running to what looks like a factory of some sort near the Anderton Boat Lift
This looks to be ICI Winnington

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.