• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: All 4 "types" of traction at one station

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
Are there any stations which see diesel units, diesel-electric units, AC units and DC units? Excluding stations that have dual-voltage trains but only use one voltage e.g. 377s at Milton Keynes or dragged units e.g. Pendolinos at Chester.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
The best I can think of is Ashford international that is 171s (diesel I think) DC 365s and The eurostars OHLE.

There are a lot of stations which have 3 types but I was wondering if there are any stations which have 4 types and all 4 types in use. Bletchley is the closest I've come to all 4 types: 150s (diesel), 221s which pass through (diesel-electric), 350s (AC), 377s (AC and DC but only using AC), 390s which pass through (AC.)

Bastiaan

The only station I can think of is Liverpool Lime Street. Various Northern, EMT and TPE diesel units, CrossCountry 220/221 (DEMU), Virgin 390 and LM 350 (AC electric) and if you count in the low level Merseyrail platform, then there are DC electric class 507/508.

When Reading is electrified, there's a good chance you can see both AC and DC electrics as well as DMUs and DEMUs.

alex17595

i do not think XC serve Liverpool lime street.
If you counted St Enoch as part of Glasgow central they would all be there. 221,390s, Subway stock, 15x

Last edited:

matchmaker

Established Member
i do not think XC serve Liverpool lime street.
If you counted St Enoch as part of Glasgow central they would all be there. 221,390s, Subway stock, 15x

But St Enoch is not part of Central. It used to have a main line terminus next to it, but that was St Enoch, not Central!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
There are a lot of stations which have 3 types but I was wondering if there are any stations which have 4 types and all 4 types in use. Bletchley is the closest I've come to all 4 types: 150s (diesel), 221s which pass through (diesel-electric), 350s (AC), 377s (AC and DC but only using AC), 390s which pass through (AC.)

Southampton Central gets the four, with the 377/2s having the opposite problem to what you see at Bletchley.

JamesRowden

Established Member
The best I can think of is Ashford international that is 171s (diesel I think) DC 365s and The eurostars OHLE.

If we also count non-passenger services, you would get the 4th at Ashford, diesel electric, in the form of class 73s travelling to/from the Marshlink.

Last edited:

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Willesden Junction. Firstly the DC lines (Class 378s) run alongside the AC lines (221s & 390s) from Euston to Watford Junction. Now for the difficult bit. I have seen 150s at Willesden Junction reversing. The Gospel Oak - Barking 172s (EDIT not 171s !) are maintained at Willesden depot. Is that near enough ?.

Othwise it is a case of looking where there are DC lines alongside AC lines. DC is Liverpool, Tyne and Wear (1,500 V DC overhead ?) and London (Tube, Southern and London Overground).

BUT how about five types - DIESEL HYDRAULIC how could you forget (OK fluid drive).

Last edited:

joeykins82

There's a PIXC buster run from Willesden Junction using a 172 if I remember correctly (I've seen it in the bay platform at least)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Defining 'types' of traction starts becoming a bit subjective if you decide DHMU and DMMU are different species though. To my mind that is not quite as significant a difference as between DMU and DEMU; but others may have different views.

WestCountry

St Pancras has 3rd rail (as well as OHLE, but used sometimes) on the Thameslink platforms, OHLE and diesel-electric upstairs. Was there a period between the TL station being completed and the 170s withdrawn, or did that happen in the wrong order?

Newcastle, if you count the Metro (1500VDC). We had LU already.

Last edited:

MK Tom

Established Member
If we also count non-passenger services, you would get the 4th at Ashford, diesel electric, in the form of class 73s travelling to/from the Marshlink.

That's not what's meant by diesel electric. The OP was talking about DEMUs, in other words classes in the 2xx series, like Voyagers.

I believe the term for classes 71 and 73 is electro-diesel, or possibly bi-mode these days.

matchmaker

Established Member
Defining 'types' of traction starts becoming a bit subjective if you decide DHMU and DMMU are different species though. To my mind that is not quite as significant a difference as between DMU and DEMU; but others may have different views.

I'd count DMMU and DHMU as different! It caused problems with 1st gen units if a DHMU Class 127 was coupled to a DMMU with the same Blue Square coupling code. They had to change the 127's to a different coupling code eventually.

Last edited:

WestCountry

You are mistaken. The traction third rail never came further north of Farringdon.
Oops. :oops:
I remembered it was three stations in the dual-electrified bit, but forgot about City Thameslink. That could actually be the second time I've done that.

That's not what's meant by diesel electric. The OP was talking about DEMUs, in other words classes in the 2xx series, like Voyagers.

I believe the term for classes 71 and 73 is electro-diesel, or possibly bi-mode these days.
A 73 running on its diesel engine is a diesel-electric, though. The engine drives the wheels through a generator and the traction motors. ;)

JamesRowden

Established Member

As I understand it diesel-electric traction is the process of having a diesel generator onboard to produce the electricity that then drives electric motors. Electrodiesels therefore are diesel electric traction when self powered.

No where in the opening post is the term 'multiple' (not even as an 'M' in an abreviation). Otherwise the Paddington example is invalid since HSTs are not multiple units.

An example of a DEMU that runs through Ashford is the class 1001 Hastings diesel that is used for frequent rail tours. One can also then add steam traction as used by other frequent rail tours. :D

Eagle

Established Member
Otherwise the Paddington example is invalid since HSTs are not multiple units.

Ooh, huge can of worms there.

I'd say HSTs are DEMUs (albeit with the relatively unusual layout of having all passenger accomodation in unpowered vehicles). They were even numbered in the DEMU range: 253 and 254.

The powercars' 43xxx numbers are not strictly speaking locomotive numbers, they're vehicle numbers, going along with the 41xxx and 42xxx series for other HST carriages. A Class 43 locomotive is something different (of which sadly no examples exist any more).

JamesRowden

Established Member
Ooh, huge can of worms there.

I'd say HSTs are DEMUs (albeit with the relatively unusual layout of having all passenger accomodation in unpowered vehicles). They were even numbered in the DEMU range: 253 and 254.

The powercars' 43xxx numbers are not strictly speaking locomotive numbers, they're vehicle numbers, going along with the 41xxx and 42xxx series for other HST carriages. A Class 43 locomotive is something different (of which sadly no examples exist any more).

I haven't seen any HSTs at Paddington that can link up cab-to-cab and run in multiple with another one. Thats my definition of a multiple unit. :)

Eagle

Established Member
I haven't seen any HSTs at Paddington that can link up cab-to-cab and run in multiple with another one. Thats my definition of a multiple unit. :)

Fine then, they're DEUs... :p

A lot of railway documentation still refers to "class 253 and 254 units" (such as the Sectional Appendix, where HST means something less specific).

pemma

Veteran Member

Being from the North West I rarely see units which aren't multiple units so I was thinking 22xs when I said diesel-electric but didn't specifically say multiple units as JamesRowden has pointed out.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Couldn't the ones with buffers theoretically work in multiple although it will never happen?

Virgin attempted something like that but it didn't achieve anything other than a unit being taken out-of-service.

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=92792

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonny

Established Member

Maybe, but they would end up being too long for every platform!

Status
Not open for further replies.