• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Any 'isolated' sections of the NR network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Between Norwood Junction and East Croydon, on the down side, there is a lengthy disused line with sleepers tied to it to prevent its being used. It's been like that for years, and I guess may, like the long-disused siding at Herne Hill, one day be brought back into use.

There are fairly lengthy bits of the sidings of the former engineers' yard at the country end of Wimbledon. They have been disconnected from the main line for many years, but have never been lifted. The two long sidings on the London side of Wimbledon are electrified but don't appear to have been used in ages.

I've not been there for a few years, but there were at that time still some remnants of the ground-level lines in the Spitalfields goods depot near Vallance Road in East London, and a dead and long disconnected level crossing on Cold Blow Lane near New Cross, a remnant of the line to the Surrey Docks. I also saw odd fragments of the Silvertown Tramway and its branches to depots and wharves. All these may have been redeveloped by now.

There is a fairly long branch through the trading estate at Trafford Park that looks pretty derelict and indeed impassible when looked at on Google Earth. It branches off the yard at the west end, turns to the north then crosses a roundabout and runs alongside several roads. Perhaps someone here knows something about the history of this line, the trading estate there doesn't appear to be that old, judging by the buildings.

paul1609

Established Member
Theres about a 100 metres of line at HMS Sultan, Gosport owned by Network Rail for their apprenticeship scheme.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Between Norwood Junction and East Croydon, on the down side, there is a lengthy disused line with sleepers tied to it to prevent its being used. It's been like that for years, and I guess may, like the long-disused siding at Herne Hill, one day be brought back into use.

There are fairly lengthy bits of the sidings of the former engineers' yard at the country end of Wimbledon. They have been disconnected from the main line for many years, but have never been lifted. The two long sidings on the London side of Wimbledon are electrified but don't appear to have been used in ages.

I've not been there for a few years, but there were at that time still some remnants of the ground-level lines in the Spitalfields goods depot near Vallance Road in East London, and a dead and long disconnected level crossing on Cold Blow Lane near New Cross, a remnant of the line to the Surrey Docks. I also saw odd fragments of the Silvertown Tramway and its branches to depots and wharves. All these may have been redeveloped by now.

There is a fairly long branch through the trading estate at Trafford Park that looks pretty derelict and indeed impassible when looked at on Google Earth. It branches off the yard at the west end, turns to the north then crosses a roundabout and runs alongside several roads. Perhaps someone here knows something about the history of this line, the trading estate there doesn't appear to be that old, judging by the buildings.

The Trafford Park branch is not Network Rail-owned - it's owned by the Manchester Ship Canal company (or whatever they're called nowadays)

Taunton

Established Member
I also saw odd fragments of the Silvertown Tramway and its branches to depots and wharves. All these may have been redeveloped by now.
Indeed they have. The Silvertown Tramway alignment was followed almost presisely by the elevated DLR Woolwich line, works for which removed the old remnants, while a bit further east towards North Woolwich there were indeed odd spurs across roads, but those have recently gone with the works for Crossrail, which have involved various adjustments to adjacent roads.

One extraordinary leftover, although of the old Port of London Authority system rather than the national network, is right alongside the runway at London City Airport, where dockside tracks, and various sets of points, inset in concrete were left when the airport was built.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5046013,0.0620029,115m/data=!3m1!1e3

Deepgreen

Established Member
There may be short sections of track at training locations?

Would any of these ever actually receive a train or even be passed for any kind of train operation? Purley has a training section of track, but it's only for signalling and track awareness purposes as far as I am aware.

Last edited:

AndyPJG

There is/was about 2 miles of single track running from a GF at the site of Dinton Station to RAF Chilmark, but now long disconnected at the GF.

The track (actually the old up line when the route was singled) was still in-situ last time I passed there.

L+Y

Or via the Central (Northern Line) to James St (Wirral Line) non-passenger connection, thence via Rock Ferry/Hooton, or Bidston/Shotton.

I thought, post-Merseyrail, a through loop connection survived at Ormskirk?

It might have for a while, but it's not there now, I am 98% certain (and will check this week when I go there).

Connection was left in when the Ormskirk-Preston line was severed and singled in July 1970, but it was officially taken out of use in 1987: though disconnected track remained down at the northern end of the station until about 2010.

So far as I know, the emergency connection was almost never used: I know of a single day in autumn 1972 when it was used as a diversionary route for the Lime Street - Wigan line, plus a diverted express and a diverted Freightliner in 1973: but no record of anything whatsoever after that. Would be pleased to hear otherwise!

The Southport connection was removed a while back. Connections between Merseyrail and the rest of the network are now at Bidston, Chester, Hunts Cross and possibly Ellesmere Port (never been there so not 100%).

I thought that the connection at Platform 4 (?) at Southport station is still in place, even if the station avoiding curve was lifted?

Carlisle

Established Member
Last edited:

Lockwood

There were still odd bits of track left on the Spurn Head Railway when I drove up there a few years back
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Part of the short branch that used to serve the BP oil depot , has been disused for many years as far as I know but the oil terminal remains open

Mmhmm

But is the metalwork owned by NR/BP/HCC?

Harbornite

Established Member
Indeed they have. The Silvertown Tramway alignment was followed almost presisely by the elevated DLR Woolwich line, works for which removed the old remnants, while a bit further east towards North Woolwich there were indeed odd spurs across roads, but those have recently gone with the works for Crossrail, which have involved various adjustments to adjacent roads.

One extraordinary leftover, although of the old Port of London Authority system rather than the national network, is right alongside the runway at London City Airport, where dockside tracks, and various sets of points, inset in concrete were left when the airport was built.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5046013,0.0620029,115m/data=!3m1!1e3

I was never aware of that pointwork even though I'd looked at the airport on Google earth on previous occasions, it's quite an unusual survivor. There appears to be more trackwork remains on the other side of the airport as well.

Attachments

• Londoncity.jpg
    Londoncity.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I've a feeling that the sidings in the old goods yard at Belper have been disconnected in the last couple of years but the sidings themselves still remain intact.

I'm not at all certain that the sidings at Spondon which served the now closed chemical factory are still connected, in which case that's another one that can be added to the list.

Freddie

Theres about a 100 metres of line at HMS Sultan, Gosport owned by Network Rail for their apprenticeship scheme.

Well, yes technically there is rail, sleepers and ballast owned by NR on site, but its purely for training, has never seen a train, and is nowhere near any real railway.

lincolnshire

There were still odd bits of track left on the Spurn Head Railway when I drove up there a few years back

Part of the short branch that used to serve the BP oil depot , has been disused for many years as far as I know but the oil terminal remains open

It was never a branch line, it was a line built for access down to Spurn Point only to get supplies down there in wartime. It did have a steam engine to work it at one time as well as a sail powered truck too.

Never anything to do with B.R., Network Rail or anyone else except the Ministry of Defence in the dim and distant past.
Well, yes technically there is rail, sleepers and ballast owned by NR on site, but its purely for training, has never seen a train, and is nowhere near any real railway.

There and was quite a few bits or railway like this just for staff training and never had or would have had a train run on them.

Jarvis had one indoors at Selby North Mine training site complete with signals, switches and crossing etc and even down to been fitted with point heaters.
Another was one at Doncaster next to the station again indoors track,signals, point work and even working signal box.

Also one next to Peterborough Power Box in the open air complete with OHL equipment.

james60059

There's a section of track, and abandoned level crossing next to Sainsbury's RDC at Hams Hall near Birmingham, with a buffer stop just beyond the crossing. I'm guessing it was associated with the power station that use to exist there many years ago?.

JN114

Established Member
Its not physically isolated, but the OHLE on the Great Western between Paddington and Heathrow Airport is a completely enclosed system, whereas the rest of the national OHLE network is all interconnected at various points. This will cease to be the case when Acton Wells - Acton East is wired in the coming years.

james60059

Would the Trecwn line be a contender as well?, can't tell if it's still connected at Letterston Junction (on the Fishguard branch), but there appears to be track still in situ along the formation.

Taunton

Established Member
Its not physically isolated, but the OHLE on the Great Western between Paddington and Heathrow Airport is a completely enclosed system, whereas the rest of the national OHLE network is all interconnected at various points.
For about 15 years after the Glasgow electrification was done it was not only unconnected to other parts of the national system but the North Clyde and South Clyde networks were unconnected to each other. There was only one heavy maintenance depot and the new air braked EMU stock needed to be transferred between the two sides, but all the 1960s diesels there were vacuum braked. Fortunately a few of the old Caledonian Railway 4-4-0s remained in stock, still with their original Westinghouse air brakes, so there was a regular procession of the oldest hauling the newest. Eventually, at the end of steam, some Class 20s had to be adapted for the job.

Shimbleshanks

There's the 17 miles of the Amlwch branch which I believe no longer has a physical connection to the main line at Gaerwen - that is, if you can find it beneath the undergrowth. Has been officially out of use for some years but has not been lifted, as far as I know.

apk55

What about the Waterloo and city line?
The only way stock can be transferred is by a crane over a hole

The Planner

Veteran Member
There's a section of track, and abandoned level crossing next to Sainsbury's RDC at Hams Hall near Birmingham, with a buffer stop just beyond the crossing. I'm guessing it was associated with the power station that use to exist there many years ago?.

No, it isnt actually that old and the level crossing works. Not sure what its purpose is/was though.

Harbornite

Established Member
No, it isnt actually that old and the level crossing works. Not sure what its purpose is/was though.

I did wonder if it was related to the Power station. However, I have a feeling that it might have been laid for the BMW engine plant.

steamybrian

Established Member
What about the Waterloo and city line?
The only way stock can be transferred is by a crane over a hole

Since 1994 it has been owned by London Underground

Until it closed in 1969 the Ryde Pier Tramway (Isle of Wight) was operated by BR and physically isolated even from the Ryde- Shanklin line.

Last edited:

Taunton

Established Member
Since 1994 it has been owned by London Underground.
Actually, until a few years before 1994 the W&C was connected, via a short underground tunnel and a vehicle lift to the sidings behind the Windsor side of Waterloo station, which was lost when the Eurostar terminal was built. The stock used to be got out for overhaul, and there are pictures around of it running on the main line. Way back in steam days, an overzealous locomotive, in an event worthy of Thomas the Tank Engine (well, probably Percy actually), managed to overshoot its stopping point and fell down the vehicle lift shaft, ending up in such an awkward position that it had to be cut up in situ to remove the wreckage.

As there was so much money sloshing around when the CTRL was under construction, it's surprising that some form of connection was not put in elsewhere. The current Bank station alterations seemed to offer an opportunity to connect to the Central Line, as much for PW equipment as for rolling stock transfer, in the manner of the Northern Line connection to the Piccadilly at Kings Cross.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.