• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Any 'isolated' sections of the NR network

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeGJ1984

Just wondering if there are any completely isolated sections of the NR network where it is not possible to get a train to run over. In other words, could a train on National Rail tracks theoretically get to anywhere else on Nathional Rail tracks in the country? (Ignoring issues about it not being cleared, lines not electrified, etc. or connections not being signalled). SOme branch lines are often run as an isolated shuttle, but do they all have connections to the mainline?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6975

Established Member
I don't think that any isolated sections remain in use. The Holyhead breakwater line was possibly the last one in use.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Do they have to be officially out of use? as I expect you could find a good few freight branches that have their connections plain lined.

sng7

Isn't the island line owned by Network Rail? ( I know the franchise means maintenance is done by the franchisee but don't network rail own it?)

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
The Waterloo & City line used to be part of BR, as did Aberystwyth - Devil's Bridge.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
There was the Grimsby and Immingham Electric Railway that British Rail used to own.
I know the Stourbridge branch has no through running now.

headshot119

Established Member
There was the Grimsby and Immingham Electric Railway that British Rail used to own.
I know the Stourbridge branch has no through running now.

But the Stourbrudge branch is still firmly connected to the rest of the national network.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Timperley (exclusive)-Altrincham on Manchester Metrolink is technically NR tracks.

There is one crossover to physically connect it to the Mid Cheshire line, but is very seldom used.

The Ham

Established Member
There are times when sections of lines are not connected through, but they trend to be short lived. The most infamous in recent years was when the line at Dawlish was washed away, however certain places get cut off when there's engineering works.

pdeaves

Established Member
Isn't the island line owned by Network Rail? ( I know the franchise means maintenance is done by the franchisee but don't network rail own it?)

Correct
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The crossover just to the east of Man Vicc linking metrolink to NR has also been taken out of use

It's also possible to get between NR and Metrolink networks at Bury, via the East Lancashire Railway.

Chris125

Established Member

Yes, it's Network Rail owned and they share responsibility for the infrastructure with the operator.

6Gman

Established Member
There may be short sections of track at training locations?

urbophile

Established Member
The Ormskirk and Kirkby branches of Merseyrail Northern Line both terminate in buffer stops short of the continuing lines to Preston and Wigan respectively. At the southern end the terminus used to be equally disconnected Garston, though the link was soon restored across the CLC tracks at Hunts Cross. Though I suppose it was always theoretically possible to link to the rest of the network by reversing at Sandhills and then Southport.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The Ormskirk and Kirkby branches of Merseyrail Northern Line both terminate in buffer stops short of the continuing lines to Preston and Wigan respectively. At the southern end the terminus used to be equally disconnected Garston, though the link was soon restored across the CLC tracks at Hunts Cross. Though I suppose it was always theoretically possible to link to the rest of the network by reversing at Sandhills and then Southport.

The Southport connection was removed a while back. Connections between Merseyrail and the rest of the network are now at Bidston, Chester, Hunts Cross and possibly Ellesmere Port (never been there so not 100%).

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Or via the Central (Northern Line) to James St (Wirral Line) non-passenger connection, thence via Rock Ferry/Hooton, or Bidston/Shotton.

I thought, post-Merseyrail, a through loop connection survived at Ormskirk?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is the Fleetwood branch disconnected but still owned by NR?

headshot119

Established Member
The Southport connection was removed a while back. Connections between Merseyrail and the rest of the network are now at Bidston, Chester, Hunts Cross and possibly Ellesmere Port (never been there so not 100%).

It's definitely connected at Ellesmere Port!

6Gman

Established Member
Or via the Central (Northern Line) to James St (Wirral Line) non-passenger connection, thence via Rock Ferry/Hooton, or Bidston/Shotton.

I thought, post-Merseyrail, a through loop connection survived at Ormskirk?

And also via Bootle Junction?

And at Aintree?

bolli

Sudbrook branch? Connected NR sites to the main line, mothballed, but still owned by NR with the pumping station at one end...

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I think there's still some track down on the Horbury curve, albeit incomplete and not connected at either end. Still technically owned by NR though.

Last edited:

HLE

Established Member
Three spires Junction to Prologis park? Points look locked - don't think a train has been down there for a few years.

thenorthern

Established Member
There are many lines which are effectively isolated under regular passenger services such as the Looe Vally Line but I don't think there are any completely isolated to all services.

Status
Not open for further replies.