• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Any lines that were built but never used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vidal

At times it can take ages from planning to completion of a route or branch off. Are there any cases where a line was planned for a particular flow, was built and before completion the reason for the flow was withdrawn?

Otherwise what was the shortest a line was in use?

James

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jan Mayen

I think part of the East Kent Railway into Richborough Port was built, but never used due to a bridge not being strong enough
There was a line in Wales, which I can't recall the name of, which had one train then closed.

stuu

Established Member
The Llangurig branch only ever saw a single train, that's the usually quoted answer to this question

Railsigns

Established Member
The Cromarty and Dingwall Light Railway. Six miles of track laid but never opened.

D6130

Established Member
The Parsonstown and Portumna Bridge Railway in the Irish Midlands only operated for just over eleven years. Opened on 5th November 1868, it was closed on 29th November 1879 after the local landowner who had financed it had a major fall-out with the Great Southern and Western Railway, which he had contracted to operate it. Thereafter, an attempt was made to reopen it, but by then most of the track had been stolen by local farmers and others. TBH, it was an economic basket case anyway.

WesternBiker

There was a branch north of Whitley Bay from Monkseaton to Colywell Bay (present day Seaton Sluice) that was nearly completed and even part electrified, but failed to open because of World War I.

Nottingham59

Established Member
They built a viaduct over the ECML at Joan Croft junction to carry coal trains from Immingham docks, which opened in 2014, just in time for Ferrybridge to cease operating.

The exile

Established Member
At least one of the suburban lines on the north side of Edinburgh had stations built but never saw a passenger train ( other than rail tours)

D6130

Established Member
They built a viaduct over the ECML at Joan Croft junction to carry coal trains from Immingham docks, which opened in 2014, just in time for Ferrybridge to cease operating.
I believe that it's still used by a small number of freight services. The last time I went past the junction on a Bradford-Kings Cross Grand Central service, the rails on both tracks were shiny.

Kingston Dan

At times it can take ages from planning to completion of a route or branch off. Are there any cases where a line was planned for a particular flow, was built and before completion the reason for the flow was withdrawn?

James
Leith Central must hold the record for shortest operating large terminus station - opened 1903 (I think) closed in 1951 to passengers - less than 50 years. Is there a shorter lived terminus?

fgwrich

Established Member
In the London area you have the Northern Height's lines (particularly from Edgware up to Bushy Heath) and the rebuilt but never served Northern Line platforms at Highgate High Level.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Leith Central must hold the record for shortest operating large terminus station - opened 1903 (I think) closed in 1951 to passengers - less than 50 years. Is there a shorter lived terminus?
Manchester (Liverpool Road), the original terminus of the Liverpool & Manchester Railway, opened September 1830 and was closed to passengers relatively shortly thereafter, in April 1844, so I make that just thirteen-and-a-half years.

D6130

Established Member
Yes....Portumna Bridge in Ireland mentioned in post #7 above.

In addition there was Bradford Adolphus Street - the original Leeds, Bradford & Halifax Junction Railway terminus - which opened in 1854 and closed to passengers in 1867, when Bradford Exchange opened. The goods yard, however, remained open until 1972.

McRhu

Fort Augustus Pier Station wasn't particularly blessed with longevity: 3 years of passenger services (although remained opened longer for freight). As far as overly-optimistic railways go the I&FA is right up there with the best of them.

D365

Veteran Member

I have a feeling which YouTube video might have inspired this question. If I can link it from my laptop when I get home!

Gloster

Established Member
Wikipedia has a page List of Unused Railways (sorry, I can’t do a link), which has 33 British entries. However, some of them are no more than minor curves and many were never completed. A further four Changed plans leaving unfinished work are listed further down and there are other categories.

P Binnersley

The branch from the GWR line into Birmingham from Bordesley to Proof House Junction. The connection at Proof House Junction was never made and the line was used as a siding. Most of the viaduct still exists.

racyrich

There were the 2 west facing bays at Stratford built for the shuttle from Fenchurch St. Don't think track was ever laid in them.

DanNCL

Established Member
There are quite a few sections of never used tunnels in New York for the Subway. In Manhattan alone there are at least three never used tunnels - on parts of 2nd Avenue, 7th Avenue and Houston Street. Additionally the lower level of the 63rd Street tunnels under the East River will only go into use for the first time later this year as part of the Long Island Rail Road, having been built in the 1970s. The upper level which was built at the same time also didn’t go into use until many years after construction.

For a UK example, is it true that a small part of the Pic-Vic tunnel in Manchester was built and remains unused, or is that an urban myth?

There was a branch north of Whitley Bay from Monkseaton to Colywell Bay (present day Seaton Sluice) that was nearly completed and even part electrified, but failed to open because of World War I.
I didn’t realise it had reached that level of completion, I knew it had been partially built but hadn’t realised they’d already put some third rail electrification down when they cancelled it!

Ken H

On Moderation
Harrogate Brunswick. 1848 - 1860. Pretty short. More about it in the Harrogate Railway Station entry on Wiki.the tunnels are still under the Stray.

WesternBiker

I didn’t realise it had reached that level of completion, I knew it had been partially built but hadn’t realised they’d already put some third rail electrification down when they cancelled it!
Re: Colywell Bay from Monkseaton, just to clarify: I've found an entry on Disused Stations, which says the third rail was laid on the Avenue Branch from Monkseaton in anticipation, but (presumably) did not reach Briardene Junction, and was therefore presumably not energised. The track was however laid, pulled up, then mostly relaid for use by a coastal defence gun. The line wasn't removed until 1932. It's a pity - the anticipated housing development has now taken place, so the purpose has rather belatedly been fulfilled!

Status
Not open for further replies.