• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Are any services in violation of the Railway Regulation Act 1844? (specifically in speed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Pre-coronavirus, what percentage of trains in the morning high peak actually achieved a linespeed of more than 12mph on the approaches into London

And this got me thinking about Beaulieu Road again, NRE currently shows a train stops in the Up direction every 2 hours. What is the normal frequency?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

London Trains

Pre-coronavirus, what percentage of trains in the morning high peak actually achieved a linespeed of more than 12mph on the approaches into London

I can definitely think of a lot on the Southern metro network.

Horsham/Dorking to Victoria (they join the fasts at Streatham junction in the morning peak)

Caterham and Tattenham Corner to London Bridge (runs fast line from Windmill Bridge junction to London Bridge)

Epsom (or Dorking/Guildford) to London Bridge (runs fast line from Windmill Bridge Junction to London Bridge)

Bedpan

Established Member
I can definitely think of a lot on the Southern metro network.

Horsham/Dorking to Victoria (they join the fasts at Streatham junction in the morning peak)

Caterham and Tattenham Corner to London Bridge (runs fast line from Windmill Bridge junction to London Bridge)

Epsom (or Dorking/Guildford) to London Bridge (runs fast line from Windmill Bridge Junction to London Bridge)

Trains onto Waterloo easily exceed an average of 12 mph from outer London suburbs. For example, 8.75 miles from Raynes Park to Waterloo is timetabled at 23 minutes in the morning peak: 12 mph would give 43.75 minutes. 7 miles from Barnes to Waterloo takes a maximum of 24 mins, 12 mph would give 35 mins. However, timings give an average speed of under 12mph if travelling from, say, Queenstown Road to Waterloo where timings in the public timetable allow up to 12 minutes for 1.75 miles as opposed to the 8.75 or so minutes allowable under the 12 mph rule. It could be of course that the working timetable shows an earlier arrival time at Waterloo, baring in mind the custom of building in some slack between the last two stations on a route. in any case I would imagine that the 12 mph rule was intended to apply for the entire route of a train from start to finish rather than any two station stops along the route.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I (just) remember the two classes being first and third, probably because my Dad and others would still have referred to it as third fir some time after it had been renamed, a bit like people refer to "British Rail" even today. But I think that third class was renamed second class, and it was some years before second class was renamed standard class. can anybody remember when this would have been?

I think third class was officially abolished in the mid/late 50s, to much mirth in the media.
I seem to remember ticket stock wasn't changed immediately so you could still get a 3rd class ticket for a 3rd class seat.
The 1-page distance-based fares table simply removed the column for "second class" and renamed "third" to "second" (fares were really "simple" in those days!).
My memory might be addled of course (not the first time)...

Last edited:

Taunton

Established Member
The 1-page distance-based fares table simply removed the column for "second class" and renamed "third" to "second" (fares were really "simple" in those days!).
That was the "standard" fare, analogous to Anytime fares nowadays. However, in many areas there were various fares locally offered less than this, which had become the default. I remember when we moved from Somerset to the Wirral that Cheap Day tickets on the electric system there were the norm, and valid all day long. There was a later community grumbling when they were restricted to after 9.30am. It was a significant issue where the competition was council-owned bus services, which long had notably cheap fares, just a few pence, especially for the longer runs to the outer suburbs where rail was most competitive.

Stewart Joy, Beeching's chief economist, wrote that when closure was proposed a regular objection was that it would cause significant hardship to regular commuters etc with no other option. He looked at the finances of one such, and said that in this case, at least the tickets ought to be at the standard price rather than the high proportion of reduced fares he could see actually being sold. Area Manager unthinkingly told him that if standard fares were charged everyone would move to the parallel bus ...

PG

Established Member
Stewart Joy, Beeching's chief economist, wrote that when closure was proposed a regular objection was that it would cause significant hardship to regular commuters etc with no other option. He looked at the finances of one such, and said that in this case, at least the tickets ought to be at the standard price rather than the high proportion of reduced fares he could see actually being sold. Area Manager unthinkingly told him that if standard fares were charged everyone would move to the parallel bus ...
Opps! Classic case of the defendant making the prosecution's case... fait accompli

Status
Not open for further replies.