• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Bi-Mode Services With The Biggest/Lowest Proportion of Distance Or Time Under The Wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Obviously there are some bi-mode diagrams that are entirely under the wires (in the way that there used to be HST diagrams that were entirely under the wires, as GNER/ NXEC etc took on additional stock to increase frequencies, but there were no additional Mk4s available)

But what routes are there with the most/least proportion of the journey (distance or time, argue it how you want) under the wires - without being 0% or 100%?

And what future routes will there be to challenge today's "best" / "worst"? (e.g. 805s will spend a significant part of the journey from Euston to Chester on electric mode, but not all)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Bi-mode stock on some Anglia branches spends little/no time under wires:

-Sudbury-Marks Tey
-Ipswich-Lowestoft
-Norwich-Lowestoft/Great Yarmouth/Sheringham.

Edit: of thermally, Ipswich-Peterborough probably has the lowest non-zero proportion from Ipswich to Stowmarket.

Last edited:

HST274

Proportion wise I suppose a Hereford to London train only is under wires from didcot. I am not sure if pantographs go upon the move (I assume they do) but if not and they come up at Reading that is not a large proportion at all

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
A Paddington - Penzance service will have only about 15-20% of its journey time under wires (~300 min journey, ~50 minutes under wires). Hereford might be slightly more (~180 min journey. ~40 minutes under wires)

xotGD

Established Member
Sunderland to King's Cross. Even most of the section on diesel is under the wrong type of wires.

ABB125

Established Member
I don't think the Anglian branches can be beaten for lack of electrification! As a proportion, I suspect Ipswich to Lowestoft might be the lowest? Though it might actually be Marks Tey to Sudbury; is the branch platform even wired?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
TPE 802 services from Liverpool Lime Street spend a high percentage of their journey under the wires.

From Liverpool-Edinburgh, all but 60 of the 304 route miles are electrified. Wiring from Colton Jn-Church Fenton (5 miles) is underway, and preparatory works are starting this summer for Victoria-Stalybridge (7.5 miles). That will leave just 47.5 miles unelectrified.

Of course, in practice the services operate on diesel over several of the electrified stretches - notably over the 65 miles between Chathill and Longniddry, which has a weak power supply. It's even more pronounced on Sundays, where there is currently a standing instruction not to use electric mode on the ECML due to there being 3 LNER services in certain hours, which is actually more than on any other day of the week.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Sunderland to King's Cross. Even most of the section on diesel is under the wrong type of wires.

Had to think for a minute as I had forgotten about that token LNER Sunderland service which does run under the DC wires north of Sunderland

-----

The Sudbury platform at Marks Tey isn't wired, the unit runs on diesel to/from Colchester

DanNCL

Established Member
Kings Cross - Harrogate, under the wires until Leeds.
Kings Cross - Hull, under the wires until Temple Hirst junction (south of Selby).
Kings Cross - Lincoln, under the wires until Newark.
If it ever returns, Paddington - Bristol Temple Meads via Bristol Parkway, under the wires until Parkway.

There is (or was) a Sunday only LNER service that runs only from Edinburgh to Aberdeen, that one's only under the wires until Haymarket, so for a total of less than 2 miles!

For a future example, early morning/late evening EMR 810s that run only between St Pancras and Leicester will eventually be under the wires until Market Harborough.

Trainfan344

Established Member
In terms of the shortest distance it's either Norwich to Lowestoft/Great Yarmouth/Sheringham or Ipswich to Lowestoft. Not sure what the distances are between the platforms and the end of the wires but it looks close on google maps

Ianno87

Veteran Member
In terms of the shortest distance it's either Norwich to Lowestoft/Great Yarmouth/Sheringham or Ipswich to Lowestoft. Not sure what the distances are between the platforms and the end of the wires but it looks close on google maps

Although the only use made of the wires is if they have the pantograph up whilst awaiting departure from Norwich/Ipswich.

Bigman

I would have thought that the LNER Leeds - Aberdeen would count here. Only about 208 miles under the wires from York to Haymarket. About 140 miles on diesel only I reckon.

HSP 2

How about Southport to Stalybridge at about 45 1/2 miles with only about 10 1/2 under the wires.

To look at it another way two routes that maybe should be bi mode routes that are diesel at the moment.
Barrow to Manchester Airport 103 1/5 miles about 30 off the wires.
Windermere to Manchester Airport 98 miles about 10 miles off the wires.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Just thinking - are there any bi-mode routes (yet) where trains have two distinct sections under the wires (and power is drawn from them)? I can't think of any.

LNER have a section of diesel running between two electric sections when they are diverted via Lincoln and also when they are diverted via the Tyne Valley, although this is not a regularly timetabled event.

Kite159

Veteran Member
That's the only one I can think of. Surprising there aren't any others!

There is an early morning, 0523 London Paddington to Swansea GWR service which goes via Bristol Temple Meads.

In the past there used to be a late night Paddington - Cardiff via Bristol Temple Meads service, don't think that is running at the moment

How about Southport to Stalybridge at about 45 1/2 miles with only about 10 1/2 under the wires.

To look at it another way two routes that maybe should be bi mode routes that are diesel at the moment.
Barrow to Manchester Airport 103 1/5 miles about 30 off the wires.
Windermere to Manchester Airport 98 miles about 10 miles off the wires.

There's at least one early morning Manchester Victoria to Southport service booked for a 769 unit. It's routed via Atherton so is only under the wires until Salford. No idea if it usually does it every day but at least on the first morning I understand it ran in electric mode with the pan up as far as Salford Crescent which is the shortest example I can remember anywhere. Even if it's easier not to switch its good politics and useful practice of switching in service whilst crews are learning them or getting used to them.

Fuzzytop

That's the only one I can think of. Surprising there aren't any others!
The Saturday Skipton to King's Cross comes to mind. Routed via Hambleton Jns, so two electric sections with a diesel segment from Leeds to Hambleton/Doncaster (not sure where they pan up).

D6975

Established Member
There is an early morning, 0523 London Paddington to Swansea GWR service which goes via Bristol Temple Meads.

In the past there used to be a late night Paddington - Cardiff via Bristol Temple Meads service, don't think that is running at the moment
There still is - sort of, the 2248 PAD - Swansea is routinely running via Bath and the rhubarb at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.