• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Britain's most underrated visitor destinations

Status
Not open for further replies.

AY1975

Established Member
How many places in Britain can you think of that have a lot to offer the visitor and are well worth a visit for a day trip (or even for a short break or a longer holiday) but that don't tend to attract loads of visitors at least not compared to the main tourist hotspots?

Here are a few to start you off:

Coventry: many fine old buildings (despite the bomb damage in WW2), the Motor Museum, and the cathedral (the post-war cathedral and the ruins of the old cathedral alongside it).

Birmingham: 22 more miles of canals than Venice. Several interesting museums both within the city and nearby such as the Black Country Living Museum.

Chesterfield, Derbyshire: An attractive market town with a popular market, several fine old buildings including the famous crooked spire church, museums such as Revolution House and the Chesterfield Museum, and a few castles and stately homes nearby such as Bolsover Castle, Hardwick Hall and Renishaw Hall.

Sheffield: Reputed to be one of Britain's (and Europe's?) greenest cities in terms of the number of parks and open spaces. A thriving street food scene and several interesting museums and galleries including the Millennium Galleries, Weston Park Museum and Kelham Island Industrial Museum. Sheffield is also a good base for exploring the Peak District.

Manchester: An excellent choice of eating and drinking establishments, museums and galleries including the Manchester Art Gallery, the People's History Museum, the Museum of Science and Industry, the National Football Museum, the Lowry Centre, the Imperial War Museum (North) and Heaton Park with its heritage tramway.

Glasgow: Several fine old buildings including the famous Glasgow School of Art. A great choice of eating and drinking places. A good base for exploring the nearby coast, Loch Lomond and the West Highlands.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
There are quite a few in Wiltshire.

Avebury is much better than Stonehenge for a multitude of reasons - you can touch the stones, it's far larger, and it's cheaper to visit. Then you have Swindon - yes, it's a much maligned town but you could quite easily spend an afternoon in the Old Town without having to think much about the newer town centre. Devizes has excellent pubs and plenty of nice walks down by the canal (plus the remarkable locks at Caen Hill). For a longer stay, several more traditional tourist destinations like Oxford, Bath, or Bournemouth are right on your doorstep too.

I think the best thing about the place is that it isn't ostentatious, but still has a real charm. And the people are among the most friendly you'll find anywhere, especially outside Swindon.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Shropshire is the place. Shrewsbury is a fine historic town on the Severn with plenty of Darwin connections. Much Wenlock - began the journey of the modern Olympics! Church Stretton and walking in the Long Mynd. Ludlow and it's wealth of fine eating places, and nearby Stokesay Castle as a great example of a fortified manor house. There are other even more obscure places and the scenery is lush and verdant and no-one really goes there!

Just lacking a little in coastline but apart from that....

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Nottigham.
Caves, Lace Market, part of the Great Central Railway, the Justice Museum, Sherwood Forest, River Trent trips, The Old Jerusalem Pub.

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Presumably the OP meant to set out that some explanation of the points was necessary, rather than just a name.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
If you're down South, I could well recommend a day trip to the Cinque Port of Winchelsea.

It's a bit of a walk up from the station (which is on the Marshlink) but is a good example of a medieval trading port that's somewhat lost in time. Nearby Rye has a similar vibe, but is a lot busier.

Up here, Knaresborough is well worth a look - has a good ruined castle and gardens (and some good pubs, for when they reopen again).

Down South again, Deal has a lovely seafront, but doesn't seem to be that well known. Sandwich is very picturesque.

Hull old town is superb and has amazing architecture and street layout. It also has more excellent pubs than you can shake a stick at.

For those interested in grisly judicial history, I would recommend a trip around Lancaster Castle. The City also has lots of excellent pubs (can you tell what I'm missing this lockdown ?).

Howden: beautiful small market town with semi-ruined Minster church. WWI RNAS airship station where R100 was built in 1920s (designed team included Nevil Shute)

Tadcaster: interesting town with C18 buildings, old brewery buildings (in use), a beautiful church and a 'virgin viaduct' (built for a branch line project which was never completed).

Goole: fascinating industrial archaeology. Purpose built 1820s canal port. Interesting timescale (if a bit run down). River and canal. One can - unusually - walk through the middle of the working docks on a public right of way. Two good museums with much on Goole's transport history, including the 'Tom Puddings' system.

Shimbleshanks

I know Swansea has seaside suburbs like Mumbles and the Gower Peninsula nearby. What are the main visitor attractions in Croydon?
The world's first purpose-built airport terminal and control tower. (Though if you want to see the inside, opening is restricted to one Sunday a month, and not even that at the moment.)
The UK's first road purpose-built for the motor vehicle (A23 Purley Way, it goes past the old airport terminal which it was mainly built to serve.)
Route of the Surrey Iron Railway, though visible remains in Croydon itself are pretty vestigal. There's a length of track preserved in Rotary Fields Purley, about 3 miles from Croydon plus an embankment. Also other remains further out.

So three transport firsts in one town.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Shropshire is the place. Shrewsbury is a fine historic town on the Severn with plenty of Darwin connections. Much Wenlock - began the journey of the modern Olympics! Church Stretton and walking in the Long Mynd. Ludlow and it's wealth of fine eating places, and nearby Stokesay Castle as a great example of a fortified manor house. There are other even more obscure places and the scenery is lush and verdant and no-one really goes there!

Just lacking a little in coastline but apart from that....
+1 for Salop - also has the Severn, Ironbridge, Etc.
Some cracking pubs in Shrewsbury too.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
There’s parts of Essex that few people know about, specifically the north west corner. Some archetypal English rolling countryside that can stand with the Cotswolds, and beautiful villages. Finchingfield is a gem.

But perhaps the best part of the UK for being wonderful but not visited much* is the North West Highlands. I’ve often been walking up there on sunny summer days and not seen anyone else.

*albeit visited much more than it was 10-15 years ago, and accommodation can be hard to come by if you’re not camping.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The world's first purpose-built airport terminal and control tower. (Though if you want to see the inside, opening is restricted to one Sunday a month, and not even that at the moment.)
The UK's first road purpose-built for the motor vehicle (A23 Purley Way, it goes past the old airport terminal which it was mainly built to serve.)
Route of the Surrey Iron Railway, though visible remains in Croydon itself are pretty vestigal. There's a length of track preserved in Rotary Fields Purley, about 3 miles from Croydon plus an embankment. Also other remains further out.

So three transport firsts in one town.
Interesting!

alex397

Established Member
If you're down South, I could well recommend a day trip to the Cinque Port of Winchelsea.

It's a bit of a walk up from the station (which is on the Marshlink) but is a good example of a medieval trading port that's somewhat lost in time. Nearby Rye has a similar vibe, but is a lot busier.

I would recommend it too! A beautiful small town, and one of the earliest examples of a grid system of roads in Europe, being designed in the 13th Century. It has been suggested this inspired the grid system of the U.S.A, but I canT find any evidence of this right now.
You can also see the famous grave of Spike Milligan. There's a good pub here with a garden too!

If anyone is visiting by public transport, I think it's easier to get the train to Rye, then the Wave bus to Winchelsea which stops right in the centre. That avoids the rather hairraising walk along narrow lanes to the station, and you can also tie in Rye.

83A

There’s parts of Essex that few people know about, specifically the north west corner. Some archetypal English rolling countryside that can stand with the Cotswolds, and beautiful villages. Finchingfield is a gem.

Agreed, I have worked in the Saffron Walden area for years and most of Essex is very charming, especially north of the A12. Ive spent many an afternoon exploring on my motorcycle. A lot of Suffolk and south Cambs is also rather nice.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I would recommend it too! A beautiful small town, and one of the earliest examples of a grid system of roads in Europe, being designed in the 13th Century. It has been suggested this inspired the grid system of the U.S.A, but I canT find any evidence of this right now.
You can also see the famous grave of Spike Milligan. There's a good pub here with a garden too!

If anyone is visiting by public transport, I think it's easier to get the train to Rye, then the Wave bus to Winchelsea which stops right in the centre. That avoids the rather hairraising walk along narrow lanes to the station, and you can also tie in Rye.

That's interesting - I hade no idea Spike Milligan was buried there !

I must admit, I have a soft spot for Winchelsea station - a very picturesque secluded spot. I remember chatting with the inhabitant of the station building in the late 1980's about a by-pass that was planned to come through the area and ruin it all. Fortunately it never materialised !

PeterC

Established Member
Agreed, I have worked in the Saffron Walden area for years and most of Essex is very charming, especially north of the A12. Ive spent many an afternoon exploring on my motorcycle. A lot of Suffolk and south Cambs is also rather nice.
I would rate Essex alongside Kent. Its just that people conveniently forget about anything north of the A127 in Essex and anything north of the A2 in Kent.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Coventry: many fine old buildings (despite the bomb damage in WW2), the Motor Museum, and the cathedral (the post-war cathedral and the ruins of the old cathedral alongside it).
Sorry but I’ve got to comment on this - Coventry is my local city and I try to avoid it because it’s rancid (one reasonable shopping centre and the memorial park on the outskirts are its only redeeming features tbh)

nlogax

Established Member
I'm not really that fussed by the British countryside. The east London end of the Thames path is much more my thing. Plenty to see along that stretch from Bermondsey and beyond to Greenwich and Woolwich. It's quite serene and not hugely used. Old industrial plants and long-disused jetties, the Thames Barrier, long-forgotten docks and an ever widening river. I'm still aiming to get beyond Woolwich and out towards Erith and Dartford, although I see there's a sewage works that may prevent my progress from the nasal perspective :lol:

alex397

Established Member
I'm not really that fussed by the British countryside. The east London end of the Thames path is much more my thing. Plenty to see along that stretch from Bermondsey and beyond to Greenwich and Woolwich. It's quite serene and not hugely used. Old industrial plants and long-disused jetties, the Thames Barrier, long-forgotten docks and an ever widening river. I'm still aiming to get beyond Woolwich and out towards Erith and Dartford, although I see there's a sewage works that may prevent my progress from the nasal perspective :lol:

I do love the countyside myself, but I do agree with your comments on the Thames Path in east London. There have been times were I feel quite alone, which feels odd in such a busy city. Ive had some interesting walks around the Isle of Dogs, Bow Creek, Silvertown/North Woolwich, and also the Greenwich Peninsula. I wont rush back to the Beckton area though.
I will also add some of the canal walks around east London, with few people about. I like the contrasts of industry, historical buildings amongst nature - I always find it fascinating seeing nature in rather grotty places.

nlogax

Established Member
I will also add some of the canal walks around east London, with few people about. I like the contrasts of industry, historical buildings amongst nature - I always find it fascinating seeing nature in rather grotty places.

Absolutely yes to those canal walks. Busier than the Thames path and I wouldn't want to do it until things ease up later in the year, but the Regent's Canal from KX through to Hackney, Limehouse and the river is a particularly good walk with the exception of that annoying detour through the middle of Islington.

John Webb

Established Member
….. I'm still aiming to get beyond Woolwich and out towards Erith and Dartford, although I see there's a sewage works that may prevent my progress from the nasal perspective :lol:
The modernisation of the plant some decades ago and more recent amendments minimise the smells. I strongly recommend if you can do it on a day the Crossness Pumping Station is open, then pay a visit - a remarkable 1865 pumping station erected as part of Sir Joseph Bazalgette's drainage scheme. (I note there is now the 'Thames Path' from Woolwich right through to Erith running along the riverside; little of which was accessible when I lived in Woolwich!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I know Swansea has seaside suburbs like Mumbles and the Gower Peninsula nearby. What are the main visitor attractions in Croydon?
I'd say Croydon Tramlink, likely to remain London's sole tram system for many years at least: and it will take you to East Croydon Station from where you can reach many destinations far from Croydon, so a real plus! Seriously, the deterioration of Croydon in recent years is a tragedy, largely occasionned by developer greed sanctioned by the local council.

nlogax

Established Member
The modernisation of the plant some decades ago and more recent amendments minimise the smells. I strongly recommend if you can do it on a day the Crossness Pumping Station is open, then pay a visit - a remarkable 1865 pumping station erected as part of Sir Joseph Bazalgette's drainage scheme. (I note there is now the 'Thames Path' from Woolwich right through to Erith running along the riverside; little of which was accessible when I lived in Woolwich!

Duly noted, thank you John!

alex397

Established Member
I'd say Croydon Tramlink, likely to remain London's sole tram system for many years at least: and it will take you to East Croydon Station from where you can reach many destinations far from Croydon, so a real plus! Seriously, the deterioration of Croydon in recent years is a tragedy, largely occasionned by developer greed sanctioned by the local council.

That's certainly the only reason i've visited Croydon, for the novelty of riding a tram... straight out to Wimbledon!

SteveM70

Established Member
Bradford on Avon - a miniature version of Bath without hordes of tourists; historic church, a few interesting shops, the tithe barn, a nice walk out to Avoncliff along the canal bank, some good pubs

Agree with the comment about Avebury, plus you’ve got Silbury Hill and West Kennet long barrow round the corner and Marlborough for shops, pubs etc. And when I lived near there (in Bishop’s Cannings) people used to claim that if you believed the leylines stuff the centre of the known universe was Beckhampton roundabout

The area around Oakham / Uppingham / Stamford / Oundle is really nice too. Nice country towns surrounded by rolling countryside and nice villages with the buildings generally in the local ironstone. Just don’t go to Corby

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Bradford on Avon - a miniature version of Bath without hordes of tourists; historic church, a few interesting shops, the tithe barn, a nice walk out to Avoncliff along the canal bank, some good pubs

Agree with the comment about Avebury, plus you’ve got Silbury Hill and West Kennet long barrow round the corner and Marlborough for shops, pubs etc. And when I lived near there (in Bishop’s Cannings) people used to claim that if you believed the leylines stuff the centre of the known universe was Beckhampton roundabout

The area around Oakham / Uppingham / Stamford / Oundle is really nice too. Nice country towns surrounded by rolling countryside and nice villages with the buildings generally in the local ironstone. Just don’t go to Corby

I don't think your first two examples are underrated areas - far from it. But your third area, yes, definitely. And further north of Oakham, past Melton and on through places like Harby, and also south, around the villages to Thrapston and the like. Surely an unappreciated segment of the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.