• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Bus routes that run in the morning peak only

Status
Not open for further replies.

175mph

On Moderation
I'm sure there are dozens of examples. By this I mean a unique numbered bus route that runs in the morning but not after 9:30 or even any time during the day after that or the evening, NOT a bus route that has early morning runs, then also during the day after 9:30 and in the evening.

I know some here might think "Oh no, not another mention of buses in Scunthorpe" but an example I can give of the criteria mentioned is a route in Scunthorpe numbered 11 which has only two early morning runs Monday to Saturday which you can see mentioned at this particular bus stop.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bluenoxid

Established Member
After the 9 December 2019 timetable change.

611 Bradford Moor to Bradford

Rest of the service is being cut.

There is also one X11 per day from Parkhead to Huddersfield

Martin2012

X49 from Staple Hill to Bristol. A morning peak varient of the 49 which runs to Bristol City Centre via the M32 and not via Stapleton Road and Old Market.

Suprised it doesn't run in the evening to be honest.

Am sure Thamesdown used to run a morning only service between Swindon Rail Station and New College but can't recall the number of it or the full route.

cool110

Preston bus number 2, Park and Ride - Railway station shuttle (one way only). Runs every 10 minutes from 0700-8500, no dedicated service after that or at weekends when it's just another stop on the 89.

M28361M

In the Merseyside area, the following routes all operate one journey in the mornings on Mon-Fri only:

800 Speke to Liverpool Freeport
827 Old Swan to Kirkby
835 Northwood to Liverpool Freeport
838 Hunts Cross to Liverpool Freeport
839 Longview to Liverpool Freeport
870 Old Swan to Huyton

Plus this one which runs two return journeys daily, again all before 0930.
897 Huyton to Kirkby

In Southport there is also the 46B, a variant of the regular 46 service which only runs two journeys in the morning Monday to Friday.

RMcE

A couple more Merseyside ones. I know the 420 does just the one journey in via the Kingsway in the morning. Also the 82D and 86D are via Dale Street variations of the normal routes

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Do you count sections of route? One am journey on the 66 Skipton to Keighley starts further down the route at Crosshills and once it reaches Steeton takes a 15 minute diversion via Silsden and Silsden estates. There are no buses enabling a direct return from Silsden or the estates to Crosshills.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
The 440 which is described by Transdev Keighley as Keighley to South Craven School actually only runs in the afternoon in the other direction.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
More on topic, the 879 runs 1 am journey from Sholver to Royton in Greater Manchester. The 849 runs 1 am journey to Oasis Academy, with the 558 in Oldham also running only a morning journey.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Stagecoach Oxfordshire X9 from Wantage to Oxford (one journey in that direction only on Mon-Fri mornings, run by an Oxford Tube coach)

Deerfold

Veteran Member
In Liverpool, route 82D has 8 trips into Liverpool and 7 out, all between 0704 and 0916.

ACBest

Stagecoach Lincoln have two early morning circulars, which are the 533 and 535, both going around the south of the city.

AB93

X49 from Staple Hill to Bristol. A morning peak varient of the 49 which runs to Bristol City Centre via the M32 and not via Stapleton Road and Old Market.

Suprised it doesn't run in the evening to be honest.

The same peak resource goes out in the pm peak but runs as short 49s.

The road layout in central Bristol isn't really conducive to running pm X49s back the other way.

mjc

First Potteries have a couple which run right by me, the 6C (once a day, one way, follows most of the 6 route but veers off towards the end to serve the sixth form college and station before approaching ending up in the city centre) and two 11 trips which start following a 6 route then follow the 11’s route from Longton, again one way. I suspect the latter is just a slightly less efficient way of getting buses from the depot to Newcastle to start service.
Not sure if there are others...

vlad

The Stagecoach X92 from Hazel Grove to Manchester consists of 3 journeys in that direction in the morning and no other journeys, not even the other way.

Contains Nuts

D&G 94A between Newcastle-under-Lyme and Congleton only runs Monday to Friday in the morning peak. These journeys run via Wolstanton while daytime service 94 runs via Bradwell.

Hophead

Established Member

AB93

The Stagecoach X92 from Hazel Grove to Manchester consists of 3 journeys in that direction in the morning and no other journeys, not even the other way.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...hester-news/x92-non-stop-bus-service-14138461
Stagecoach is axing an afternoon non-stop bus service because passengers have hurled abuse at drivers - and tried to open the doors and jump out - when it doesn’t stop.

Passengers regularly mistake the X92 Express, which skips all 34 stops between Piccadilly and Stockport, for the 192, which stops at every one.

An increasing number of people only realise their error when the bus doesn’t stop - and take their frustration out on the driver.

Drivers have had to put up with verbal abuse, arguments, death threats, hammering on the glass and even a near-crashes caused by disruption, according to reports.

Redmike

Stagecoach Manchester have the 253 from Partington, it only has 2 journeys in one direction on Monday to Friday AM. Also the 368A from Stockport to Manchester airport only runs in the early morning.

56131 EllColl

Stagecoach in Perth service 70 three early morning journeys and they start at the depot. Also McGills XP23 Erskine or Inchinnan to Glasgow frequent morning fast commuter services, not sure in what way the latter is especially different to X23 as some of those journeys too omit Braehead.

mlambeuk

First York: Service 200 Askham bar to James Street Via Acomb and City centre
I don't know if this counts: Service 10A, two journeys early morning only in one direction, but is only a slight deviation of the main number 10.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Also McGills XP23 Erskine or Inchinnan to Glasgow frequent morning fast commuter services, not sure in what way the latter is especially different to X23 as some of those journeys too omit Braehead.

I believe there was some initial controversy because that route didn't accept most standard tickets, though this may have been changed in response.

darloscott

Stagecoach Stockton have the 58A which is a hangover from the former council funded 565 route that runs from Hardwick to Stockton via the 58 route then extends through Portrack all the way to Port Clarence terminating at the north side of the Transporter Bridge. One even serves the prison in Portrack, the only bus of the day to do so. I’m amazed they still run as when I drove them a few times years ago nobody used them.
They also happen to run a council funded service 794 from Lazenby and most of Eston & Normanby to Middlesbrough which also has two journeys on a morning with no return bus. The only public service from Lazenby village leaves at 0634 and there are no more!

Status
Not open for further replies.