• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Bus stations/interchanges located next to a large chain supermarket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Lane

Radcliffe bus station was moved 50 yards so a Lidl could be built and Asda is across the road.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Martin2012

I seem to remember the old Gloucester Bus Station having a Tesco right by it with a store entrance at the bus station end.

Pool Meadow Bus Station in Coventry has a Sainsbury's virtually next door.

Wells Bus Station has a Tesco just across the road.

Not sure if it counts but Bluewater Bus Station is immediately adjacent to a Marks and Spencer.

Doesn't Canterbury Bus Station also have a supermarket across the road or am I thinking of the shopping centre (The name Fenwick rings a bell as I once was instructed to wait for someone there after arriving on an NX coach).

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I seem to remember the old Gloucester Bus Station having a Tesco right by it with a store entrance at the bus station end.

Pool Meadow Bus Station in Coventry has a Sainsbury's virtually next door.

Wells Bus Station has a Tesco just across the road.

Not sure if it counts but Bluewater Bus Station is immediately adjacent to a Marks and Spencer.

Doesn't Canterbury Bus Station also have a supermarket across the road or am I thinking of the shopping centre (The name Fenwick rings a bell as I once was instructed to wait for someone there after arriving on an NX coach).
Wells already mentioned - #6

Fenwicks is a department store.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Sandown bus station feels remarkably like three or four bus stops outside the Co-op.

Pokelet

Hereford. The city bus station is in Tescos. So much so that the Tesco delivery wagons share the access.
Worcester, bus station below Iceland, former co-op (was Somerfield/KwikSave) 50yds up the road.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Chepstow bus station (actually a lay-by with no facilities other than shelters) is adjacent to M&S Foodhall. The shop has also been occupied by the Co-Op and at least one other supermarket.

Typhoon

Established Member
Whitefriars Shopping Centre is next to Canterbury Bus Station. There is a Tesco Metro in the shopping centre from which you can see buses in the bus station but that appears to be clutching at straws.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Dewsbury doesn't appear that close to the Asda (the ring road and the river Calder are in the way, but there's a convenient crossing and footbridge), but it's no further than several already mentioned (Huddersfield for example).

DJames

Somerfield and Coop actually built a number of their larger stores in places like Monmouth, Cinderford and Lydney specifically next to bus stations (or on them!) because of their target demographic.

Others off the top of my head are Andover (Lidl), Seacroft inLeeds (Tesco), Ripon (Sainsbury’s), Bicester (Sainsbury’s), Bishop Auckland (Aldi), Middlesbrough (Sainsbury’s), Alnwick (Morrisons), Ashington (Asda), Darlaston (Morrisons), Wells (Tesco).

Sure there’s plenty more

I dunno if you can call Darlaston a bus station, but either way, it's actually next to Asda.

There's also Halesowen which is right next door to the Asda there, and Bilston is very close to Morrisons.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I dunno if you can call Darlaston a bus station, but either way, it's actually next to Asda.

There's also Halesowen which is right next door to the Asda there, and Bilston is very close to Morrisons.

Sorry - brain freeze. It was Wednesbury that I meant :) Darlaston is indeed next to an Asda and is officially referred to as a bus station (though I'm with you - it's a moot point).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

An Aldi (previously a Kwik Save) was opened next to the bus station at Bletchley for that very reason - but it wasn't actually successful and closed, the premises remain empty.

woodhouse122

Skegness bus station is next door to a decent sized Lidl (National express and coaches park right outside the door)

DJames

Walsall is next to a fairly big Tesco Store.

That one's a bit of a stretch, as it is a short walk away. I guess you can count Bilston if Walsall counts. Perry Barr (One Stop) could count too as there's an Asda inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.